• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

105k Switches sold in France, best console launch ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
"Best launch ever" for a Nintendo console in Germany and Europe, too (german PR some minutes ago).

C6UvhLHWQAAnPl9.jpg

Got a source?

NotLiquid

The Switch is quickly proving itself to be a rather fast reversal of prior misfortune and that makes me happy to see. Let's hope the US numbers are good and that Nintendo will soon be able to sustain a decent momentum with games.

Zedark

Damn, Switch is having quite good launches in many territories! A good start indeed, on to the legwork!

Thank you neighbors. Belgians, Spanish, Swiss, Germans, many of them ordered in France because the console is cheaper. ( 300€ in France , 350 in other countries . )

Interfectum

Completely baffling to me. People probably just really wanted Zelda and sales will drop off a cliff.

How is it baffling? You are reading too many negative Switch threads on GAF. The device is compelling as hell and has one of the best launch games of any console, ever.

I'm so gosh darn happy to see news like this, especially given the timing of Switch's release. Nintendo just needs to keep that momentum going into the fall when they're sure to sell the most for this year.

liquidtmd

Banned
Pleased for Nintendo. A console industry without Nintendo would be a duller affair.

I'm gonna need Mario Odyssey before I jump in though....

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Actually it did great all over Europe:

https://twitter.com/tomphillipsEG/status/839130034199793664

Nintendo: Switch is largest Nintendo hardware launch ever in Europe, Zelda is biggest-selling launch title in Europe, too.

Zelda on Switch sold more over its opening weekend than Wii Sports, which ties into Switch sales being higher than Wii.

Worth noting, obviously, that launch sales are constrained by amount of stock available to retailers. Lots of Switch available and was sold.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
If I recall correctly, Wii U sales almost beat the Wii for console release sales in the US as well? Didn't the Wii have an extreme shortage issue, more than any other Nintendo console?

Still, nice to see it's doing well, but I'm finding a lot of the statements a bit vague.

600k for wii and 400k for wii u, both because of supply issues. so the numbers are good but expected to be bigger if they just got bigger supply.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
All this good Switch news is making me so happy - this will boost confidence in the system from devs.

Shiggy

For reference:

Sales for the first month of Xbox One (first month and one week) and PS4 in France:

PS4: 239.998
Xbox One: 126.201
http://www.gameblog.fr/news/40613-ps4-xbox-one-en-france-les-vrais-chiffres-de-vente

These are sell-through numbers, unlike the shipment numbers in the OP.

The PS4 apparently had shortages until early 2014: http://www.terrafemina.com/culture/...squen-mars-en-france-pour-la-playstation.html

The PS4 launched on Nov 29, so basically one month.

Switch. If not and people only wanted to play the new Zelda, people could just have bought it on the (cheaper) Wii U.

The Wii U isn't really stocked anymore and retails for more the same price as the Switch. For anyone who didn't want to buy a used Wii U system, Zelda Switch and a Switch system were the cheaper deal.

pswii60

It took PS4 13 months to hit 1 million units in France, will be interesting to see how Switch compares in the long-run. That's a great start though.

But let's remember, Switch is replacing 3DS *and* Wii U (whatever Nintendo says), so they'll be hoping for sales somewhere between the two combined. And that's where it gets tricky - should we really be comparing Switch launch sales to other consoles, or to other handhelds, or to the two combined? We've never had a hybrid device like this before.

Kuro

How is it baffling? You are reading too many negative Switch threads on GAF. The device is compelling as hell and has one of the best launch games of any console, ever.

I really don't find anything about the switch compelling and still think people just really wanted to play Zelda. It remains to be seen if Nintendo can keep sales going past the initial launch craze. What's helping it right now besides Zelda is the crossover between Wii U and 3ds fans. Nintendo's handheld market is the only way Switch can be successful in the long run.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Completely baffling to me. People probably just really wanted Zelda and sales will drop off a cliff.
The word of mouth around Zelda will probably carry the sales for a few of weeks.

Then MK8DX comes out at the end of April, you'll probably see a boost in sales
During spring, Arms comes out. Being a new IP no one knows what it'll do.

Splatoon 2 in summer will give it another boost.

Come christmas, the new Mario will be out and *maybe* Xenoblade 2 (lawl). Another bump right there with the help of bundles.

On first party stuff alone, sales won't "drop off a cliff".

Switch. If not and people only wanted to play the new Zelda, people could just have bought it on the (cheaper) Wii U.

I agree that the hardware itself is compelling, but that's not a great point. Even used WiiU run about $250-300 at this point. New Ones are essentially gone. If you're walking into a store to buy Zelda, you're not gonna find any WiiUs sitting on the shelf.

Ninferno

Glad to hear that Switch is doing well at launch in Europe, a territory where Nintendo has been struggling for decades. Not optimistic this can continue in the next few weeks though. However great BotW is, it is still just one game.

And correct me if I'm wrong, France is traditionally Nintendo's strongest (relatively speaking) among the major European countries, isn't it?

Wow, that's very impressive. Probably means that Europe is way over 300k for launch? 80k for the UK + 105k for France = ~185k.

Glad to hear that Switch is doing well at launch in the Europe, a territory where Nintendo has been struggling for decades.

And correct me if I'm wrong, France is traditionally Nintendo's strongest (relatively speaking) among the major European countries, isn't it?

Yes, atleast among the major markets.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
DAMN. Here in Sweden it was 3700 SEK, or 389€, everywhere. Now, I know us Scandinavians always get screwed over with this stuff, but that's an insane difference between EU countries.

It is, I payed 3.7k SEK because I'm a dumbass that didn't want to import and wait a few days for it to get here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom