• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

105k Switches sold in France, best console launch ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

iKhayal18

If we sum up the Japan sales + the America sales + what we know about the Euro sales (France + Germany)... Could we be near the million units sold?

Calm Mind

It took PS4 13 months to hit 1 million units in France, will be interesting to see how Switch compares in the long-run. That's a great start though.

But let's remember, Switch is replacing 3DS *and* Wii U (whatever Nintendo says), so they'll be hoping for sales somewhere between the two combined. And that's where it gets tricky - should we really be comparing Switch launch sales to other consoles, or to other handhelds, or to the two combined? We've never had a hybrid device like this before.

It will definitely happen sooner than that.

That's pretty crazy. I had serious doubts that it woul sell well in general because of its price point, but I'm beyond glad to be wrong. :)

It took PS4 13 months to hit 1 million units in France, will be interesting to see how Switch compares in the long-run. That's a great start though.

But let's remember, Switch is replacing 3DS *and* Wii U (whatever Nintendo says), so they'll be hoping for sales somewhere between the two combined. And that's where it gets tricky - should we really be comparing Switch launch sales to other consoles, or to other handhelds, or to the two combined? We've never had a hybrid device like this before.

I'm gonna be primarily comparing it to console sales until prices come way down.

noshten

Lets see if they can sell over 800K Switch this year (same as lifetime Wii U sales) - that was their other goal for this year. Nintendo France talking the talk and walking the walk

phanphare

Banned
wow, so the Switch seems to have had itself a nice little launch

its first holiday season on the market will be very interesting to watch

Zedark

If we sum up the Japan sales + the America sales + what we know about the Euro sales (France + Germany)... Could we be near the million units sold?
I believe Switch outsold Wii in Europe (I saw it in this thread unless I goofed), which means it did more than 600k. Japan alone add 330k, so we are 930k without the Americas, so it should have passed the 1 million mark by a mile already.

Edit: I did goof, seems like wii did 325k in Europe in two days.

Waji

I'm supposed to have one of the 105 000 unit except it got delivered to a place that doesn't get the packages. Now it's lost and I'm waiting with 2 "investigations" opened.

I went in several post offices and drop off shops around and no sign of it.
I can see it being delivered back, which means days if not weeks of waiting with a Switch continuously moving everywhere to be sure the product arrives in "perfect condition".

So I can see myself be lucky if I can play it in... 2 weeks ?
I just can't understand how people can work so poorly, that's probably what's astounding me the most.

Home most of the 104 999 remaining units get their users happy right now...

Shahadan

Damn, this is what that guy predicited I think, very good.

Why was it only 299€ though?

I don't really know, we often get cheap prices because of various chains trying to be competitive.
I remember ps4 being 349€ at launch in a few places (and sometimes less or with a game) instead of the 399€ launch price.

That's why I kept repeating to the bomba brigade that price in France is not indicative of lack of demand.

Koh

Since I love being a Debbie downer...

All these numbers we are seeing are essentially what was shipped to a country, yes? It's not an even comparison when all launches were supply constrained, including the switch. All it says is that Nintendo sent more than they did last time.

So, Nintendo confidence in the region and supply are good, but what can we possibly conclude about demand with this info?

Gutss

Thats great numbers france, glad europeans are on board with the switch, this thing will market itself on the wild, switch era is starting great.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
The word of mouth around Zelda will probably carry the sales for a few of weeks.

Then MK8DX comes out at the end of April, you'll probably see a boost in sales
During spring, Arms comes out. Being a new IP no one knows what it'll do.

Splatoon 2 in summer will give it another boost.

Come christmas, the new Mario will be out and *maybe* Xenoblade 2 (lawl). Another bump right there with the help of bundles.

On first party stuff alone, sales won't "drop off a cliff".

Yep, X2 won't hit 2017, but the rest will def build up a hell of a Year-1 lineup. Fire Emblem Warriors might also be popular.

This is assuming we don't see any surprises at E3, too.

Shiggy

I don't think we can use combined sales as a standard of comparison. I'm sure a lot of Wii U owners also had a 3DS.

Why would it matter? The Switch was supply constrained too

In France, you can order it now and get it this week. Nintendo seems to be doing pretty good work in terms of supply.

Wow, that's very impressive. Probably means that Europe is way over 300k for launch? 80k for the UK + 105k for France = ~185k.

That's a given.

That's a given.

Seems like in every region, the Switch has had a decent to great launch. Good for them despite how many holes people try to poke into the good news.

Don't read too much into these sales.

I'm sure the deals helped a lot. I don't think many people bought it at that 329€ price point.
(I paid something like 360€ for the console with Zelda and Mario Kart)

Having Zelda at launch and marketing the hell out of the console probably helped a lot. Good show.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Yep, X2 won't hit 2017, but the rest will def build up a hell of a Year-1 lineup. Fire Emblem Warriors might also be popular.

This is assuming we don't see any surprises at E3, too.

I'm hoping for retro studios new game to be revealed at E3 and launched for holiday *fingers crossed*

Oregano

Switch doesn't have to do Wii U and 3DS combined anyway because Nintendo still has two pillars; Switch and Mobile. The latter will be massive as well.

”The fate of a video game system is often influenced greatly by the introduction of a single title." - Iwata

Well sure. Imagine if Breath Of The Wild either didn't exist or was a bad game. I bet the Switch still would have sold out of the initial shipment, but after that it could have gotten really ugly.

Now at least you have anyone that wants to play Zelda and doesn't already own a Wii U is going to buy a Switch to do it. Zelda saved the Switch imo.

Calm Mind

Shouldn't a new product call for a new sales model?

Forgive me for being dumb here, but I know the stats say this is the best "console" launch correct? Were PS4/Wii/Wii-U released in Fall or Spring for Europe? I'm honestly floored by these numbers due to the time of year in the US at least.

Seems like in every region, the Switch has had a decent to great launch. Good for them despite how many holes people try to poke into the good news.

Don't read too much into these sales.

This can't be an actual argument that's being used against the Switch ... right?

Considering the umbrage a good part of this forum took when such reasoning was used against the PS4, surely we've learned from past mistakes?

kswiston

Did we get first 2-3 day sales for any other system? I know in the US thread people were trying to extrapolate from Wii's launch month, but Wii came out on Nov 19th. Unless there were zero additional shipments beyond day 1, the NPD figure would be for a lot more than 2 days.

This can't be an actual argument that's being used against the Switch ... right?

Considering the umbrage a good part of this forum took when such reasoning was used against the PS4, surely we've learned from past mistakes?

It's pretty clearly referencing the Ars Technica article that made that statement in regards to the PS4.

well i love my wiiu but its launch week numbers didn't really reflect its legs. i'm personally not gonna make assumptions til we see how hard Link can carry this thing during the wait for mario kart.

slit

Completely baffling to me. People probably just really wanted Zelda and sales will drop off a cliff.

That's funny, this was the exact sentiment when Wii launched.

For the record, I'm not suggesting Wii Level success here.

Slaythe

I'm one of them D: ! It's also sold out in France.

Skipped the Wii and Wii U so I guess Nintendo succeeded pulling players like me back in !

Irminsul

Did we get first 2-3 day sales for any other system? I know in the US thread people were trying to extrapolate from Wii's launch month, but Wii came out on Nov 19th. Unless there were zero additional shipments beyond day 1, the NPD figure would be for a lot more than 2 days.
For the PS4, I only found sales data for the UK, and that's pretty different to the rest of Europe, so there's probably no extrapolation possible. For Europe as a whole, I think we only have sales for PS4's first month.

There is no either way, it's both.

Right I see everyone saying that and of course that's technically true...but I mean I dont think the Switch would do anywhere near as well without Zelda. I think Zelda is a bigger factor for sales of the console than the console itself.

Or if not already at least very well could be for the next few months.

I really don't find anything about the switch compelling and still think people just really wanted to play Zelda. It remains to be seen if Nintendo can keep sales going past the initial launch craze. What's helping it right now besides Zelda is the crossover between Wii U and 3ds fans. Nintendo's handheld market is the only way Switch can be successful in the long run.

Did you ever consider

that this just might be what you think and not some sort of hard fact

and that other people might feel differently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom