• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

160gb PS3 Uncharted bundle for USA

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Sony needs to pick a fucking SKU and stick with it. This is version fucking 6 of the PS3.

20GB - Full BC
60GB - Full BC
80GB - Mostly BC
40GB - No BC
80GB v2 - No BC
160GB - No BC

Sony decided to kill hardware BC in 2007 and were sending out strong signals about it, but lots of people didn't want to believe it.

I'm still hopeful for software PS2 BC.

TwinsDad

Well since they did this last holiday with Motorstorm. I doubt Uncharted is hitting Greatest Hits soon. I look forward to the flood of "not for Resale" copies of Uncharted to start appearing soon at Gamestop.

Guy Legend

I'm not going to recommend spending an additional $100 for this model like I used to with the previous 60gb and 80gb systems. Saving $100 and getting the 80gb system is the better buy.

I really hope they are indeed working on full software emulation for PS2 games.

hulot

Loudninja said:
Umm you getting much more storage a DS3 and a game.
I wouldn't really consider the DS3 an added value as it's essentially replacing the Sixaxis, and really what it should've been from the beginning.

Teddman said:
Never would have thought the PS3 would have the worst backwards compatibility overall this generation...
Not really. If you have either the 60 or 80gb SKUs, PS3 still has the best BC this gen. But it is a shame that Sony wants to completely get rid of it (especially since MS giving up BC on the relatively smaller Xbox library isn't as painful as losing the PS2's).

Farnack

Banned
Geez, why do you people keep saying you want BC.

It's equivalent of saying "Please increase the price by $100."

At the same time, everyone says "599 lolololol"

johnnyg87

Neo Member
I guess this also means that Uncharted won't be seeing a price drop to Greatest Hits level for a while now. LAAAAMEEEE I want it now!!

johnnyg87 said:
I guess this also means that Uncharted won't be seeing a price drop to Greatest Hits level for a while now. LAAAAMEEEE I want it now!!

Average eBay price: $35.

Also, it is worth the $60 asking price.

Fafalada said:
Oh no doubt.
I just don't think it'll be in the form most are expecting.

Yeah I would love to see them introduce a rental service for PS2 games. Like 5 Bucks you can download a PS2 game for like a month or somthing. Still comes out a lot cheaper than buying a greatest hits title or whatever.

Barrett2

Smart move; the game didn't sell very well IIRC, at least compared to what it should have sold, so this helps generate momentum for the sequel.

Redd

Farnack said:

Many believed the longer you wait the cheaper the PS3 would cost before they eventually purchased one. They didn't think they would get a gimped(imo) sku just so Sony could cut cost. Good business move for Sony crappy move for gamers. I still don't know why so many people are glad that they're removing PS2 BC.

*Hugs his 60gb sku

Redd

Linkhero1 said:
I'm low on cash right now, so I'm unable to do so. I wanted them to stick with the 80gb partial b/c version. :(

If you don't mind a used PS2 BC model I tend to see Gaf members sell them frequently.

Guy Legend

Farnack said:

They're selling a higher end sku without BC for $100 more. At least they offered BC in the high end skus before.

Everyone who wants BC go buy a freaking PS2 slim and STFU already.

Finally they have enough hard drive size so this is the one I'll be picking up. Great news!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Uncharted is great, but they realllllllllly should have bundled LittleBigPlanet or Resistance 2 or something. :(

Loudninja

VictimOfGrief said:

Finally they have enough hard drive size so this is the one I'll be picking up. Great news!

Hey you coudl have bought your on HDD :p

Uncharted is great, but they realllllllllly should have bundled LittleBigPlanet or Resistance 2 or something. :(

Well it is limited, I rather see them bundle it with the 80Gb, which ll have more instock I am sure.

ltse1

Hmmm, I have a PS2 slim but I still want a PS3 with BC...now that more SKUs are rolling out, I might have to jump on a MGS4 80 gig before they completely run out.

Jtwo said:
What the hell?
Truth. It hurts.

Seriously BC is dead with the current crop of PS3's and I for one don't need it nor care. Anyone who wants a 1:1 ratio for a PS2 game to work properly, needs to find an older 60GB or just buy a PS2 Slim and be done with it.

It seriously is getting old and tiring to hear people bitch and moan about BC not being included when clearly at this point never coming back.

kevm3

I thought Sony was actually being smart for a change and sticking to the one SKU model. Guess they must disappoint. Well, this is a limited edition, although I see no real reason for it.

Loudninja

VictimOfGrief said:
Could've yes but I don't want to hack up my new PS3 with a bigger hard drive.

Well ok than :)
I thought Sony was actually being smart for a change and sticking to the one SKU model. Guess they must disappoint. Well, this is a limited edition, although I see no real reason for it.

I for the people who wanted more space.

VictimOfGrief said:

your tag is appropriate. PS2 slims won't upscale PS2 games for HDTVs. 99% of the PS2 games out there look CRAPTACULAR on an HDTV UNLESS the PS3 is upscaling them.

the exceptions being those with native 480p support, which I can count on one (ok, maybe two) hands.

Joe211

VictimOfGrief said:

this

Bizzyb

Banned
I like How Nintendo is the only one who can't seem to grasp the concept that the MORE Downloadable shit you offer, the more Storage is needed on the console/harddrive

At the very least it translates to "Give us some fucking memory card to work with" aka "Make the SD cards actually worth a damn"

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
VictimOfGrief said:
Truth. It hurts.
Suggesting someone buy two consoles to compensate for a feature that was pulled, and telling anyone who believes otherwise to SHUT THE FUCK UP is absolutely insane.

VictimOfGrief said:

Did I miss the news that they announced that the PS2 will now upscale games to 1080p on my TV?????? This is great news that PS2 games will no longer look like complete shit on my TV!! I'm going to run out and buy one right now!!!!!!!!!1111111111!!!

Flakster99

Having gotten lucky last week, my local Future Shop had on display a few dozen 60gig PS3 units for $349 /w an additional DUALSHOCK 3 and $120 in Blu-ray movie vouchers included in the bundle, $500 bucks is damn expensive for the premiere, most likely to be favored and bought bundle /w a year old, nicely reviewed/somewhat poorly sold title.

chubigans said:

For $500 bucks, you would think so, I would think so. From a sales/pricing strategy perspective, they're going to get creamed by the Wii/360.

lupinko

EazyB said:
I wanna pick up a PS3 by the time LBP hits but this bundle doesn't appeal to me at all. $500 is way to much although I would like a HDD bigger than 40GB without buying a 3rd party one. Hopefully they'll have something better (and cheaper) this holiday.

Wtf.

The harddrives in the PS3s are just Seagate harddrives, Sony doesn't make harddrives.

V_V;;

Ploid 3.0

dskillzhtown said:
Another Sku. Damn...

I was here to post that. Don't you hate when they change the hardware not allowing you to play certain PS3 games splintering the market. This stuff is getting old and needs to stop! I'm looking at you Sega, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, and Apple. Fire your R&D staff that work on reducing costs of the products you already created. Get them cracking on the next gen. You only have so many resources.

Top Bottom