• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

160gb PS3 Uncharted bundle for USA

Trevelyan

Banned
Damn, people really that picky for BC? I'm actually on the verge of selling my 60GB to get a new 80GB system. I can't stand playing PS2 or PS1 games on my PS3, it makes me feel dirty for some reason, haha. I'll play them on their respective systems.

lupinko

Flakster99 said:
Having gotten lucky last week, my local Future Shop had on display a few dozen 60gig PS3 units for $349 /w an additional DUALSHOCK 3 and $120 in Blu-ray movie vouchers included in the bundle, $500 bucks is damn expensive for the premiere, most likely to be favored and bought bundle /w a year old, nicely reviewed/somewhat poorly sold title.

For $500 bucks, you would think so, I would think so.

Which futureshop is this? o_O

Flakster99

lupinko said:
Which futureshop is this? o_O

St. Catharines my friend. Heh, I saw the tiny pyramid with the giant price tag on top, walked up to the nearest sales person, and bought one right away. Steal of the fucking century for what I wanted - which originally was a sub $300 PS3, but a 60gig (BC was/is important to me), the $120 in Blu-ray vouchers and the additional inclusion of a DUALSHOCK 3 made it a no brainer.

I still think my 80GB MGS4 bundle was the best bundle so far.

I'm not worried about space either!

But I totally agree that this should have been a LBP bundle instead.

Flakster99 said:
St. Catharines my friend. Heh, I saw the tiny pyramid with the giant price tag on top, walked up to the nearest sales person, and bought one right away. Steal of the fucking century for what I wanted - which originally was a sub $300 PS3, but a 60gig (BC was/is important to me), the $120 in Blu-ray vouchers and the additional inclusion of a DUALSHOCK 3 made it a no brainer.

Awesome deal! What's the manufacture date on it? Should be written on the back of the PS3.

Brandon F said:
If my 60gb ever breaks, that is it for me and Sony next-gen.
Sony will just replace your console with another 60GB or give you yours back fixed. They still have plenty in stock regardless. A friend of mine who has the 20GB (the rarest of SKUs) was told over and over again he'd just be getting a 20GB back (no other SKU).

I knew this was coming all along. Putting PS2 BC in the PS3 is actually not cheap and more than what people are willing to pay for a PS3. People complained about the price, so Sony had to do something to get the price down (removing features was one thing). If people didn't complain so much about the price in the first place, we'd still have PS2 BC models. There is a chance software BC is coming to PS3, but I still wonder how they'll emulate the GS (I heard it has a high fill rate, higher than what the RSX can do or something).

As for this SKU, I think it's ok, but not really needed in the U.S. I think 80GB is a big enough HDD. But what I think they should have done is along with Uncharted, bundled a blu-ray movie at the same price (giving people a movie and game).
Iced_Eagle said:
I still think my 80GB MGS4 bundle was the best bundle so far.

I'm not worried about space either!

But I totally agree that this should have been a LBP bundle instead.
SCEA usually prefers to not bundle new games. With PSP, they bundled Daxter, then R&C: Size Matters. I believe they want their devs to get their share back right away (since people have to pay $60 for a game), but after a year, it doesn't make all that big of a difference. I think their mail goal is to break even/profit first, then just kind of give away copies of a game.
Trevelyan said:
Damn, people really that picky for BC? I'm actually on the verge of selling my 60GB to get a new 80GB system. I can't stand playing PS2 or PS1 games on my PS3, it makes me feel dirty for some reason, haha. I'll play them on their respective systems.
I agree. I have a PS3 w/ PS2 BC, and I rarely use it. IMO, PS2 games look best when I just play them on an SDTV with my PS2 (firmware upgrades won't mess up support either, happened to a few PS2 games I had on my 20GB/60GB type BC version).

First time I've been happy about buying a launch console. I've been playing DQ8 upscaled with smoothing on a virtual memory card and it feels oh so good :D

Manmademan said:
your tag is appropriate. PS2 slims won't upscale PS2 games for HDTVs. 99% of the PS2 games out there look CRAPTACULAR on an HDTV UNLESS the PS3 is upscaling them.

the exceptions being those with native 480p support, which I can count on one (ok, maybe two) hands.

&

OldJadedGamer said:
Did I miss the news that they announced that the PS2 will now upscale games to 1080p on my TV?????? This is great news that PS2 games will no longer look like complete shit on my TV!! I'm going to run out and buy one right now!!!!!!!!!1111111111!!!

...and yet you're on your way to get a quality tag in the same vein as mine.

PS2 Slims play PS2 games. Who cares about upscaling? Oh that's right, probably less than say... 3% of PS3 owners that are technophilies that HAVE TO HAVE certain features or their head will explode. Chances are as well... if you fall into that aforementioned category, then you'll have a TV that can play PS2 games at a reasonable resolution and wouldn't even think about bitching about it unless... again, the > 3% of people want their cake and eat it to... which you can... if you get a 60GB version. Otherwise, refer back to my previous post.

BoilersFan23 said:
Sony will just replace your console with another 60GB or give you yours back fixed. They still have plenty in stock regardless. A friend of mine who has the 20GB (the rarest of SKUs) was told over and over again he'd just be getting a 20GB back (no other SKU).

Who was it on GAF that had a 60gig go bad on him and he couldn't get it replaced through Sony and actually got a 40 gig back instead. I'm spacing on the name of the poster but to say he was pissed about it was an understatement.

zeloe326

I must admit guys, this sku is a little steep. The absent of BC at this price is a little turn off. It it had BC, it would be the best PS3 bundle yet. But no, they had to gimp it. Sony Sony Sony, what are thou thinking.

Teddman said:
Never would have thought the PS3 would have the worst backwards compatibility overall this generation...

Me neither.. im kinda suprised myself....

What gets me even MORE lol are half of the guys posting in here were the exact same people cracking jokes and shit'n at xbox 360's weak BC compatibility at one time not so long ago... ba ba ba ba wah? Is that how some of you guys do the "ba b'a wah" or how ever some of you kids do it around here lol :lol

Back to the subject, its a shame that both the 360 and ps3 couldnt of just made both systems 100% compatible. Thats ok..im glad i have my launch 60gb working like a champ still.

So far the only time I've used BC on my 80GB unit was to play GOW2 and one of the PS2 Singstar volumes (which apparently soon you will no longer even need).

Seems to me that BC is only really a hot issue within the walls of GAF.

ScrabbleBanshee said:
So far the only time I've used BC on my 80GB unit was to play GOW2 and one of the PS2 Singstar volumes (which apparently soon you will no longer even need).

Seems to me that BC is only really a hot issue within the walls of GAF.

GAF makes the walls hot with BC.

God damn you yanks are lucky.

We're only JUST getting the 80GB now. Dissapointing about the BC. God I hope my 60GB never dies.

I wanna pick up a cheap 40GB after they fire sale them so I can pack away my 60GB for safe keeping.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
How many PS3's are there going to be? lol

Hmm... just because I am bored:

2 years / 6 SKUs = 3 per year. If Sony plans on a 10 year life cycle... ZOMG 30 SKUS LULZ SONY IDIOTS HURR HURRRRR.

Yeah.... no. Who knows.

Concept17

Amir0x said:
why won't they just drop the 500 price line altogether, goddamn

Healthy MGS4 bundle sales. Outselling the 360 at a higher price. That would be my guess.

I guess they just want to appear to have the 'premium' console.

Guy Legend

VictimOfGrief said:
how original and worth posting.

Right, because telling people to "STFU" about a feature they want is warranted and worth posting..... How about a polite "GTFO" to you?

Mr.Potato Head said:
Back to the subject, its a shame that both the 360 and ps3 couldnt of just made both systems 100% compatible. Thats ok..im glad i have my launch 60gb working like a champ still.

In Microsoft's case, perhaps it is more acceptable considering the mess of a situation they were in regarding the original xbox hardware and moving to the xb360. I agree that it's a disappointing result but at least they worked on getting a lot of games compatible (though there are still more I'd like to see).

It's more disappointing from Sony's point of view considering they had BC nailed from the beginning, took a step back, then completely removed the function all together. It's worse when their excuse is that it isn't for cost reasons, but to "encourage users to buy PS3 games." You'd think PS3 games could sell themselves...

Guy Legend said:
Right, because telling people to "STFU" about a feature they want is warranted and worth posting..... How about a polite "GTFO" to you?
Free country. My point is all of these PS3 thread with the SKU's post 60GB w/ EE hardware bitching about lack of BC is pointless dribble. Most know it's dead so let it go already.

eternalb said:
Seriously Sony can we stick with a one or two fucking skus for more than 6 months.

That would require them sticking to one plan. I think they figured out the first plan didn't work so well so it's probably for the best.

VictimOfGrief said:
Free country. My point is all of these PS3 thread with the SKU's post 60GB w/ EE hardware bitching about lack of BC is pointless dribble. Most know it's dead so let it go already.

So it's only a "free country" when it comes to what you want to post and tell others what not to post? lol. I've never seen anyone live up to their tag so throughly.

Darkman M

Manmademan said:
your tag is appropriate. PS2 slims won't upscale PS2 games for HDTVs. 99% of the PS2 games out there look CRAPTACULAR on an HDTV UNLESS the PS3 is upscaling them.

the exceptions being those with native 480p support, which I can count on one (ok, maybe two) hands.

Nuff said

SuperEnemyCrab said:
So it's only a "free country" when it comes to what you want to post and tell others what not to post? lol. I've never seen anyone live up to their tag so throughly.

People can respond with whatever they want. My underlying point in all of this is that the bitching about hardware backwards compatibility on an internet forum on the PS3 that has been killed off now 2 SKU's ago is pointless. But really, keep bitching, I'm sure Sony will hear your cries and bring BC back to the PS3 line. :lol

Darkman M

VictimOfGrief said:
People can respond with whatever they want. My underlying point in all of this is that the bitching about hardware backwards compatibility on an internet forum on the PS3 that has been killed off now 2 SKU's ago is pointless.

Your bitching more then anyone dude what the fuck, why are you so buttfucked hurt over it?

Tideas

Banned
wait, we're 2 years into this generation, with all the awesome PS3 games coming out, and ppl are bitching about BC?

I mean...seriously?

Seriously?

Like...seriously?

Osuwari

people want BC because they don't want 3508972890365 consoles in their shelves.

i want to play PS2. hm the input for that was in1. i want to play gc, look for input 2. i want to play 360, where's the hdmi button? i want to play some SNES, how do you tune ch3 on this hdtv? i want to play n64, which imput did i put the vcr that has the n64 and ps1 together? i want to play wii, was it component 1 or 2 in that had the dvd recorder or the wii? i want to watch upscaled dvds, i think it was hdmi 2 in where i put that one. i got a new ps3, lol i ran out of inputs.

with a full BC ps3 you can turn 3 of those into 1 and the wii takes care of the gc. the ps3 can also replace your upscaling dvd player.

anyone who likes complicated messes is weird imo.

Tideas

Banned
Osuwari said:
people want BC because they don't want 3508972890365 consoles in their shelves.

i want to play PS2. hm the input for that was in1. i want to play gc, look for input 2. i want to play 360, where's the hdmi button? i want to play some SNES, how do you tune ch3 on this hdtv? i want to play n64, which imput did i put the vcr that has the n64 and ps1 together? i want to play wii, was it component 1 or 2 in that had the dvd recorder or the wii? i want to watch upscaled dvds, i think it was hdmi 2 in where i put that one. i got a new ps3, lol i ran out of inputs.

with a full BC ps3 you can turn 3 of those into 1 and the wii takes care of the gc. the ps3 can also replace your upscaling dvd player.

anyone who likes complicated messes is weird imo.

ask me the last time I touched a PS1 game. Or rather, a PS2 game.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Tideas said:
wait, we're 2 years into this generation, with all the awesome PS3 games coming out, and ppl are bitching about BC?

I mean...seriously?

Seriously?

Like...seriously?

Yeah, it is annoying as hell, especially because it brings the discussion off topic about the virtues of BC.

ampere

No BC = No fun :(
Seriously though, I play PS2 games on my PS3 more often than I play PS3 games.
I'm just a BC kind of guy

Tideas said:
ask me the last time I touched a PS1 game. Or rather, a PS2 game.
You're just one person, many gamers love BC. For some people, myself included, there is a PS2 game we want that comes out later this year.
It's still a feature that consoles should have.

A big piece of the picture some people are missing is the value of the Ps2 replaced by back compat.

You can still sell a slim PS2 + accessories you don't need anymore for $75+ That definitely makes the price of the ps3 a lot easier to swallow.

r4z4

Any word how much this is going to cost in the UK in £? I've seen the dollar and Euro prices but we all know that UK prices are never a direct conversion...

Top Bottom