• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

18 minutes of new Final Fantasy 16 gameplay has been published

GymWolf

That looked flashy, visually pleasing but also boring pathethically easy.

I hope the difficulty in that video is journalist level, else I dont see myself ever touching this, at least not full price anyway..

Hopefully we can get a demo
If previous square titles are anything to go by, the normal mode is gonna be a cakewalk for 95% of the time except for some difficulty spike with some bosses and secret bosses, you have to complete the game once to actually have a challenge.

Absolute trash way to handle difficulty modes but square is not the only one who does this shit unfortunately.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I’m not a fan of the Devil May Cry type hyperactive combat game, so not sure this is for me. Not concerned about the move away from traditional FF combat, but this just looks like multicoloured, loud vomit all over the screen. And the constant, crashing sound effects don’t help.

Will wait for reviews, but I think I might pick it up down the line when its price drops, if it’s received well.

Davevil

People hating because of the battle system…some of these dummies are going to miss out on an amazing experience because of it too.
triple-h-cant-stop-laughing.gif

stupid smash button battle
idiot number cover the screen

ProtoByte

"Human" enemies(I assume you mean like the Ironblood Crusaders at the start of the video) react plenty to what Clive is doing. You can see his body bending left to right frantically as he is getting sliced and diced up.
Jerking left and right isn't enough. He should be torn to shreds in 3 slashes max.

You realise that specific move you mentioned is a multitap hitter. What, did you expect him to go flying right into jupiter whilst clive is still slashing, because that would be awful game design, that's not how it works in games like DMC either. The enemy remains in place whilst uncontrollably being slightly moved around then sent flying once you are done slashing and want to finish the attack. That's how those type of moves work in action games, kind of like the million stab in DMC3 or PPPPP in Bayonetta.
I know that's not how character action games work, and that's why they have very limited appeal, especially these days. As I said before, it looks like the enemies are to be stunted on, not actually fought.

>when you're fighting enemies that should be burnt to a crisp by a fireball, and instead chew it with a little bit of animation stagger. Or maybe you get them into a canned stagger state.

Again that is not how action games(quality ones at least...) work where realism takes precedent over gameplay. If every enemy was burnt to a crisp when you shoot out a fireball there would be NO difficulty whatsoever.
The solution is simple: Make it harder to hit enemies with that fireball. Make them capable of dodging or blocking it, and make them capable of narrowing the window of opportunity to use it by making them credible threats to Clive.

And if you meant the Ifrit limit break ultimate, then I am puzzled because we literally see those human enemies being held up in mid-air merely by the flames passing through them, lose basically all their HP and fall backwards onto the ground helpless until Clive executes them.
I don't think I need to explain further why that type of thing doesn't appeal to people at face value anymore. The standard has been raised. Screen nukes that aren't even screen nukes don't engage people as much as tactile, lethal and consequential combat does.

And if you are referring to the elite heavy MINIBOSSES with the hammer, the elite heavies are meant to be just that. They aren't meant to react much. Same applies to games like DMC, you have the "elite" enemies like the large mantis in DMC5 which soaks basically every attack you throw at it without even staggering at all.
None of that reasoning is going to make those encounters fun. People will just roll their eyes at having to spend 2 minutes per heavy zero out their meters and cooldowns.

Very strange attempts at nitpicks here, I have to say.
These are fundamental design choices. Not nitpicks in the slightest.

Last edited:

Porticus

People like to shit on Nomura here but he nailed the combat system in FFVIIR between the action system and the old battle system.

Wtf I'm looking at here?

No respect at all to the root of the original series.

Roxkis_ii

I really hope the demo for this game drops this Sunday. I'm tried of watching the game, I want to play it.

Man, it's some legit criticisms to be had on the game I'm sure, but I wonder how much is the hate on this game just from being a console exclusive? It's kinda crazy how polarizing this game seems to be.

Last edited:
Jerking left and right isn't enough. He should be torn to shreds in 3 slashes max.

I know that's not how character action games work, and that's why they have very limited appeal, especially these days. As I said before, it looks like the enemies are to be stunted on, not actually fought.

The solution is simple: Make it harder to hit enemies with that fireball. Make them capable of dodging or blocking it, and make them capable of narrowing the window of opportunity to use it by making them credible threats to Clive.

I don't think I need to explain further why that type of thing doesn't appeal to people at face value anymore. The standard has been raised. Screen nukes that aren't even screen nukes don't engage people as much as tactile, lethal and consequential combat does.

None of that reasoning is going to make those encounters fun. People will just roll their eyes at having to spend 2 minutes per heavy zero out their meters and cooldowns.

These are fundamental design choices. Not nitpicks in the slightest.
>

Again, gameplay > realism

>I know that's not how character action games work, and that's why they have very limited appeal, especially these days

DMCV which came out in 2019 sold over 6 million lol. Not that your argument is relevant anyway, the bottom line is FF16 is meant to have a similar gameplay style and if you don't like it then that's just a you thing.

> As I said before, it looks like the enemies are to be stunted on, not actually fought.

And you're basing this off Clive fighting some basic weak humanoid soldiers and HEAVY units. Yes, the miniboss shown isn't going to be able to hit fast with that hammer it swings around which makes it seem like you're just stunting on them. Let's reserve this judgement when we see more enemy types than just from an 18 minute snippet.

>The solution is simple: Make it harder to hit enemies with that fireball. Make them capable of dodging or blocking it, and make them capable of narrowing the window of opportunity to use it by making them credible threats to Clive.

I don't see why they should need to, it is not meant to be a high damage move. Should fire in the turn based games instakill every enemy because... realism? It's a video game, it isn't meant to be realistic. Should every small fireball instakill an enemy in a video game now? Really reaching with these nitpicks, come on.

>I don't think I need to explain further why that type of thing doesn't appeal to people at face value anymore. The standard has been raised. Screen nukes that aren't even screen nukes don't engage people as much as tactile, lethal and consequential combat does.

This isn't reflective of what your original complaint about enemies "not reacting to it" which you haven't addressed but whatever I guess. You haven't really explained why FF16's combat isn't "tactile" or "lethal" either but i'll entertain this.

There is plenty of tactics that can be applied with all of the Eikon abilities at your disposal. Each Eikon has a different elemental status effect, you can choose which one is best suited against the particular enemy you are facing for one and swap between them instantaneously depending on the situation. You can also swap between 9 command moves(3 Eikons, 3 command moves for each one) to apply the one which best suits the situation. The combat looks very tactical as a matter of fact.

And I don't get how exactly it isn't "lethal" either. There is now a hard 3-6 potion cap unlike FFXV so you can't spam healing items anymore and there isn't a "hold square to dodge endlessly" system like XV so you can easily get hit. Although from watching the footage it is misleading as the player(who is probably experienced as it is one of the devs) is fighting a hammer wielding grunt with extremely easy telegraphs. Against other enemy types besides fodder humans(which is the only other general type of enemy that we saw in the footage), they are going to be much harder to react to and to generally defeat.

>None of that reasoning is going to make those encounters fun. People will just roll their eyes at having to spend 2 minutes per heavy zero out their meters and cooldowns.

Better than 2 minutes pressing attack over and over.

>These are fundamental design choices. Not nitpicks in the slightest.

Complaining about HEAVY enemies not reacting all the time sounds nitpicky as hell to me.

Gone

Banned
It's a minor thing but it always pisses me off when Square Enix always use this font in their games and trailers and everything. Fuckin change it you poor bastards.

B9VR4mM.png

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
18 minutes of new Final Fantasy 16 gameplay has been published.

The video below shows IGN exploring two dungeons in the upcoming PlayStation 5 exclusive.

i don't get it, video res goes up to 4K 60fps but that video is most definitely not 60fps ?
What's going on ? It's not the first time i'm noticing such a thing with gameplay videos either.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Uh, that doesn't look great.

The amount of SFX, text and numbers all over the screen is absurd. I'm sure it'll be fun to play but that shit is off-putting. I'm hoping the story and characters are good more than anything though - I'm confident the combat will be fine either way.

You can turn it off.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
The combat looks massively unsatisfying, and you can't play anyone other than the main dude? The only thing left that has my interest in this game is the story.
I have no idea what people see in this that gets them excited, pretty graphics?
Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The combat looks massively unsatisfying, and you can't play anyone other than the main dude? The only thing left that has my interest in this game is the story.
I have no idea what people see in this that gets them excited, pretty graphics?
Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF
Sadly yes.. it’s all about the graphics for them. Just look at the posts under yours. Lol

Brock2621

Yoshi P has crafted some of the best stories in modern fantasy gaming. Graphics aside, I’m more than confident this is going to be an incredibly satisfying experience

Combat looks flashy but repetitive. Not a fan of attack feed back either; the attacks look crazy but enemies don't react much to them.

The thing I'm most looking forward to is towns/ exploration/ beautiful vistas. Sadly, zero exploration has been shown. Let's see...

Sakura

People aren't playing Honkai for its turnbased gameplay. They are buying it because its a mobile gacha game.
That doesn't make any sense.
There are millions of gacha games out there. Why would people be spending a bunch of money on this one over the rest? Clearly people are playing it because they like the game.

Madflavor

There's been some serious disconnect between people's reactions to watching the gameplay, and people who've previewed the game.

You can turn it off.

Do you have a source on that? Not saying you're bullshitting, but I'd love to know if this was confirmed.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
I wonder, are there any AAA games where battles are resolved realistically - you shot something in the head once, and it dies instantly?

My biggest gripe with this game is how long the combat looks to take.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Do you have a source on that? Not saying you're bullshitting, but I'd love to know if this was confirmed.

You know I thought I had seen footage without it but I’m searching around and can’t find it so it’s possible that I’m wrong on it.

It will be disappointing if a game released in 2023 doesn’t let us customize on screen information, it’s standard these days.

Synless

You know I thought I had seen footage without it but I’m searching around and can’t find it so it’s possible that I’m wrong on it.

It will be disappointing if a game released in 2023 doesn’t let us customize on screen information, it’s standard these days.
The standard? I don’t think that’s accurate. I’d say it’s the exception at best.

BootsLoader

Banned
Gameplay is one button masher so.....FF games are popular for their strategic approach to battles. I don't think that the story alone can make up for this.
Many particles, too many, much "huaaa ahsshduauaaaaa aaaaaaaaaahuuuaaaaaa". I hate when games are doing this.
Last but not least, it really does not look like a next gen game, because of bad lighting in this game.

Sethbacca

On the one hand, I'm loving the confidence that they have in the game where they're showing off so much of it. On the other hand they should leave some of the game for us to actually play? Maybe?

I guess this may help get some of those on the fence off it, but still it feels like they've shown far more than enough at this point.

DelireMan7

I am really torned on FF XVI. I am really hyped up because Final Fantasy, because medieval setting, because looks so good visually BUT the combat scared me. It looks flashy and cool but enemies looks like HP sponge without much threat. I didn't watch everything but at one point there is this "mini boss", a big dude with an axe but he does nothing. Just taking damage again and again with sometimes throwing a random attack.
Maybe it just an easy difficulty setting for showcase.

It was a day one for me but each time I see new content I am more and more "I might wait a bit more for this one".

GymWolf

I wonder, are there any AAA games where battles are resolved realistically - you shot something in the head once, and it dies instantly?

My biggest gripe with this game is how long the combat looks to take.
All the somehow realistic shooter where you kill humans like tlou2, days gone etc.

Top Bottom