• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Yours - 18/04/08 - Jeff Green guest stars

Darkpen

Banned
Slavik81 said:
Hurrah. GAF is a tolerant place.

What_Really_Happend.gif
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

oh my god, that's sooooooooooooo bad, but I can't help myself (same with the hulk hogan one) oh my god :lol :lol :lol

but yeah, I'm shocked at the amount of people being so defensive (and offensive) over Jeff's comment. It was stupid of him, yes, but you knew it was coming. Jeff just pushes it too far sometimes, that's all.

Also, that was one long ass podcast. I started listening it before we left to dine out, during the drive, at the restaurant, and it finally finished when I was at the doorsteps. o_o

Mr.City

FartOfWar said:
Really? Painfully awkward stop because of a jab at corny-ass Judas Priest? I'm in the minority about Ashlee Simpson and American Idol as well.

Getting offended because someone else doesn't share your taste in music is a joke. Is the internet actually this dumb? Now that the controversy over Jeff's joke has been resolved we're going to war over butt rock?

Man, after all the shit that you've unearthed from the septic tank that is internet, you actually ask this?

Darkpen

Banned
Mr.City said:
Man, after all the shit that you've unearthed from the septic tank that is internet, you actually ask this?
oh man, that's actually a pretty decent burn :/ How do you even back that up?

No one's butt hurt over the Judas Priest comment. Fuck, it's a message board. I'm normally a fan, but all I'm saying is that comment just sounded like some shit a 14-year old girl would say if someone asked her what she thought about heavy metal. I'm sure if someone blasted Bowie on these message boards you'd probably have something to say about it. Maybe not, who knows.

FartOfWar

Banned
Lets argue over this next.

21b9cp1.jpg

Never owned a Dino Rider so I'll steer clear of that next great debate.

You can't expect to shit all over a classic band and a whole genre of music and then be surprised when someone has another viewpoint.

Posting Heavy Metal Parking Lot like it's the end-all-be-all to heavy metal is like putting up a picture of Shane as the poster boy for all hip-hop fans.

FartOfWar said:

21b9cp1.jpg

HAHA! Dude, I found my T-rex in the attic a while back, I remember those things were so bad ass when I was little. I had some fucking epic GIjoe/Dino Rider crossover battles in the back yard. Funny thing was when I found it I thought to myself, "what a piece", lol. The thing had like zero moving parts. I couldn't find the "rida" though, I was kinda bummed.

By the way Shawn, that was the most legendary "Whatchya been playin'?" ever... evAr! :lol

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Screaming for Vengeance is everything a dumb 80's butt rock album should be, full of corny rhinestoned pomp and gay biker bar overtones - the tracks are listenable and catchy as hell too. Alot of people would love to role play that shit and it seems totally fitting for Rock Band for the same reason that Meatloaf gets regular karaoke attention.

RumFore

Banned
Flavius said:
To everyone who didn't dig the podcast this week, don't worry!

I hear next week we'll be seeing the introduction of a new character: Poochie!

He's totally rad, yo! Heeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyy...

Will he replace Shawn?

Judas Priest and role-play? Damn, they're not the Village People. People don't dress up at their concerts like it's a fucking Renaissance fair. And comparing them to Meatloaf? I have no words for that.

They had a four-year period (out of 30) where they were a little overly-flamboyant. As has been said, it was the 80's. Cut 'em some slack.

And Shawn, I find it interesting you're always quick to put down anyone homophobic (rightfully so), yet are the first to use a term like "butt rock" when describing a band with an openly gay singer. Seems a little two-faced.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Man this episode is an A+ ;)

Too much funny, I have listened to it at least 4 times now.
Keep the super on it for future episodes.

Barakov

KennyL said:
This illustration is classier.

14myxi1.jpg

I'm still waiting for a RTS which lets me take a sqaudron of Laser equipped T-REXES and plow through a contingent of caveman's barracks. Somebody make it happen. I'd like to see Blizzard do it but.....they are going to be busy for quite some time to come.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
MarvinTacoma said:
The Liquid arm thing was already sort of explained, wasn't it?
That's what YOU think.

*smoke grenade*

voltron

Darkpen said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

oh my god, that's sooooooooooooo bad, but I can't help myself (same with the hulk hogan one) oh my god :lol :lol :lol

but yeah, I'm shocked at the amount of people being so defensive (and offensive) over Jeff's comment. It was stupid of him, yes, but you knew it was coming. Jeff just pushes it too far sometimes, that's all.

Also, that was one long ass podcast.
I started listening it before we left to dine out, during the drive, at the restaurant, and it finally finished when I was at the doorsteps. o_o

Oh ffs, pushing it too far had nothing to do with it. It was just a joke.

And most 1upyours are around the 2hr mark... nothing unusual about that.

Xater

FartOfWar said:

http://s3.tinypic.com/21b9cp1.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

What is there to argue. It's pure awesomeness contained into one picture.

It combines Dinosaurs AND Lasers!

I remeber watching the show and I also had some of the toys.

Slavik81

Barakov said:
I'm still waiting for a RTS which lets me take a sqaudron of Laser equipped T-REXES and plow through a contingent of caveman's barracks. Somebody make it happen. I'd like to see Blizzard do it but.....they are going to be busy for quite some time to come.
You wanted Technosaur... It was canceled by EA.

guise

:lol I love how the box quote says "harness the power of dinosaurs"

...yet everyone is clearly using projectile weaponry and lasers.

Great podcast btw. GFW invasion + griefing + giving Shane a hard time makes for some top entertainment.

john tv

Garnett+Shane+Shawn+Jeff = Win

That ad before the break where the 'tard interrupts and starts talking about aliens or somethin' = Lose

Keep up the nice work guys!

john tv

Opus Angelorum said:
Hey John, being reading your site lately and was curious if some of the stuff you're working on will be surfacing soon?
Thanks for asking, but let's not derail this thread. :) In short, tho, no -- not soon. Probably Summer/Fall before anything starts surfacing. I'll update when we get a bit closer.

Now, back to awesome podcast talk!

ghst

thanks for the laugh
CartridgeBlower said:
Judas Priest and role-play? Damn, they're not the Village People. People don't dress up at their concerts like it's a fucking Renaissance fair. And comparing them to Meatloaf? I have no words for that.

They had a four-year period (out of 30) where they were a little overly-flamboyant. As has been said, it was the 80's. Cut 'em some slack.

And Shawn, I find it interesting you're always quick to put down anyone homophobic (rightfully so), yet are the first to use a term like "butt rock" when describing a band with an openly gay singer. Seems a little two-faced.

I hope you continue to call anyone who ever uses the term 'butt rock' out for the belligerent, raging homophobes they are.

The 'flamboyant' part of it is what i'm getting at. I'm not saying this is some rocky horror shit, just that the excessive Spinal Tapian theatrics of it all is something alot of people have a soft (hard) spot for. Especially through a game that simulates the tennis racquet wielding, self imposed, positive retardation of being a living room rock star.

Xater

john tv said:
Garnett+Shane+Shawn+Jeff = Win

I agree. For me this would be the 1up yours dreamteam. We would also have a great balance between PC and consoles that way.

@Shawn: I totally forgot you said Judas Priest sucks. BOOOOOO for that! But they could have chosen another album. Painkiller is awesome.

fallout

guise said:
:lol I love how the box quote says "harness the power of dinosaurs"

...yet everyone is clearly using projectile weaponry and lasers.
And what do you think powers those lasers and projectile weaponry?

Tobor

I get that people don't want the Judas Priest album, but who cares that it's "omg, the first album11!!" ?

There's going to be entire catalogs of music for this game, but Garnett is acting like it's some huge misstep. Just wait a week.

That being said, calling Garnett out for overreacting is a pretty easy task.

Tobor said:
I get that people don't want the Judas Priest album, but who cares that it's "omg, the first album11!!" ?

There's going to be entire catalogs of music for this game, but Garnett is acting like it's some huge misstep. Just wait a week.

That being said, calling Garnett out for overreacting is a pretty easy task.

I think the problem is that there's only going to be 12 albums a year (if they stick to this one a month system), so every one kinda counts. It's not like iTunes where they'll add a ton of music in one go. Still, I don't think it's anything to get too upset about, but I can see why people would be disappointed if they don't dig the sounds of the Priest.

Flavius

I haven't listened to the podcast yet (look at me, I'm that type of GAF poster now), but...

This isn't any sort of trial run for taking us from two separate podcasts down to one, is it?

Hope not, else I'll be running for a box of kleenex and my wife's midol. **Why Skip, whyyyyyyyyyy???...does my ass look fat in these jeans?**

I just hope that Shawn plays through MGS4 so he can comment on Shane saying that the explanation of the whole arm possessions thing will satisfy Shawn (I'm guessing him inheriting his dads powers won't cut it) and how it depicts the inhumanity and grief of the decisions made in war better than any game out there.

Flavius

Johnkers said:
I also think it's a good time to bring up the Shawn Elliot / Robert Ashley podcast

whatever happened with that?

Sweet Jesus, your post made me think what it'd be like if Robert Ashley were on 1up Yours (don't think he's been on, has he?). Shawn has a tough enough time some weeks getting a moment or two to get his point across. Can you imagine poor Max Chill in that scenario?

border

CartridgeBlower said:
Butt rock is a catch-all term for any awful 80's metal act.

FartOfWar said:

21b9cp1.jpg

A shitty show that forever will be second place to a single Calvin and Hobbes panel

2ljgor6.jpg

Now go cry to your pathetic duke of nostalgia webpage while I and the rest of gaf remember the true king of making dinosaurs even more awesome, Calvin and Hobbes

FartOfWar

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:

Chalk that up to me not knowing the origins of the term. I heard it as a kid and never questioned what exactly it referred to other than the ass-less jeans and chaps these bands wore.

Top Bottom