• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

The Chef

Dragona Akehi said:
Well, I'd say you're a good candidate for riding already: you're scared shitless of the bike's potential and question your own riding abilities. Really, that's a good thing.

This was an eye opener for me when I read this.

I work 3 days a week and my work is 30 miles each way. Traffic isn't bad and its generally a straight shot for 30 miles. There are two spots however that have me a little nervous.

1. My drive takes me through a small town and traffic can be pretty tight. The speed limit is 25 mph but everyone drives around 40 and switch lanes often and brake quickly to turn onto side streets.

2. The 6 mile stretch that runs at the base of the mountains. It can get very windy through there and the speed limit is 70 mph. When I see other guys on bikes I usually see them crouched low behind the glass. There is a side road that runs along the base of the mountain that avoids the wind but is a few miles longer.

I always think of getting a bike but I am SCARED TO DEATH. My wife used to be adamantly against it but she is somewhat open to the idea now. I guess I could try and take that safety course and see how I feel on a bike.

daw840 said:
Really?!? They had you riding dirt bikes?

For us taller folks yeah. There were some 250 Honda cruisers for the rest of us.

Throttle was way touchier than the cruisers but ti was a good time.

krypt0nian said:
For us taller folks yeah. There were some 250 Honda cruisers for the rest of us.

Throttle was way touchier than the cruisers but ti was a good time.

Damn, wish I had had that option. That Nighthawk 250 was cramped! The Honda Rebel would've been even worse :lol (they only had one and it was for the shortest person there)

The Chef said:
I guess I could try and take that safety course and see how I feel on a bike.

It is healthy to be cautious/nervous before getting on a bike. Once I started learning the basics and could ride around pretty good I had a blast. It's good fun. The class is nice because you start at the bottom (just sitting on the bike and learning the controls, starting the engine, etc) up to the top during the test (cornering, emergency braking, etc). It's a gradual pace that I'd say 9/10 people can learn at. Before you even do the on-the-bike training you'll be in a classroom for a couple nights.

The Chef

thesoapster said:
It is healthy to be cautious/nervous before getting on a bike. Once I started learning the basics and could ride around pretty good I had a blast. It's good fun. The class is nice because you start at the bottom (just sitting on the bike and learning the controls, starting the engine, etc) up to the top during the test (cornering, emergency braking, etc). It's a gradual pace that I'd say 9/10 people can learn at. Before you even do the on-the-bike training you'll be in a classroom for a couple nights.

Well looks like I'm actually doin it.
Talked to my wife about it for a bit. We even went down to a dealership and took a look at the 09 Ninja 250 and the 09 Rebel. (I would never ever buy brand new for a first bike.) I think Im leaning more towards the Ninja. Love the look of the Rebel but when I sat on both I just really liked the Ninja, especially because I felt like I was sitting much higher on the Ninja. Makes me feel more comfortable about being seen on the road. I know I'll make a final decision after the class.

kbugbd.jpg

So, today I jumped on a waiting list for the safety course the first week of July. I really hope I get in. Cant wait to join the club ;)

Good news getting on the wait list for the MSF class. I can't stress how important that class is.

Even guys that had bikes for years said that they learned how to think correctly in class.

AMUSIX

Definintely out riding...just wish I could find some good rides in the area (San Diego). Weather is perfect for it, roads are shit. One of the things I really miss about the SF Bay Area.
Still, bringing my bike up to Tahoe in August, so Ii'll get at least one good ride in up there.

I haven't been riding much lately...too much damned rain. This weekend should be pristine, though. My Y-pipe (cat. eliminator) should arrive, too :D

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
thesoapster said:
I haven't been riding much lately...too much damned rain. This weekend should be pristine, though. My Y-pipe (cat. eliminator) should arrive, too :D
oh come on, man up and ride in the rain. :p

still waiting for my dad to set up the driving school bit so i can get my drivers license. 20 years of age and i still don't have a damned drivers license. i blame my father, and he accepts it, cause it is totally his fault, so i'm stuck a bit.

on the bright side, i have a job now though, so i'll be able to get the down payment in pretty easy. can't wait until i can get it. i'll need to put at least 700 miles on the thing before mid august to clear the break in. i don't want the piston to seize cause i was going down the superslab with only 300 on the odometer. it's sooooooo damned close, it's driving me nuts :D

Damaged

Been riding allot lately but only to work and back, not really postworthy but hopefully will get out for a run in wales soon and post some pics / vid. Weather is amazing here just a shame im spending my riding time on a straight boring motorway.

Doc Evils

I currently have a car license, and since it's currently not so cheap to run a car I'm thinking of going for a bike license, allthough my parents don't want me to because "you are going to kill yourself" etc.

Doc Evils said:
I currently have a car license, and since it's currently not so cheap to run a car I'm thinking of going for a bike license, allthough my parents don't want me to because "you are going to kill yourself" etc.

Would you be paying for all of it yourself? If you are, they still object?? If so, there's always the day you move out...

doomed1 said:

I have, it's no fun. It feels like lots of little needles pricking you. I don't have rain gear (because I never intend to ride in the rain, anyway). Plus, visibility is reduced (drivers would be even less likely to see me) and road conditions are worsened (kiss "performance riding" goodbye). No thanks.

Some pictures that a friend of mine took. We were driving home, my brother and the friend in a car, and I was following on the bike. It's the stretch of highway between Rotterdam and Amsterdam, we were going towards Amsterdam (where we live).

2njdcw6.jpg

14tbzwk.jpg

64f67p.jpg

nyw8lf.jpg

2hycak7.jpg

2pphp2f.jpg

2010m6a.jpg

25813qe.jpg

2mqw31c.jpg

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Great pics Fallout, I only have a couple of pictures of me actually riding, wish I had more nice ones like you posted there.

I’m leaving for a 10 day ride to Nova Scotia with some buddies this weekend. I’ll be sure to post some pictures when I get back.

Yeah, thanks guys.

I admit, it's nice to be able to see what you look like riding your motorcycle. Probably the narcist in me :lol .

Flo_Evans

25813qe.jpg

I really like this one! I've been busy, not much riding :(

Weather is awesome right now but my weekends are packed with house crap.

Yeah, it's a good shot. Funny too, he bought a new camera (Nikon D60), this was his second day taking pictures with it. Not bad.

Too bad you're missing out on the weather. Though it's getting a little hot for my taste, the heat coming off that 998 is brutal :lol, have to keep it rolling at all cost.

Flo_Evans

Fallout-NL said:
Yeah, it's a good shot. Funny too, he bought a new camera (Nikon D60), this was his second day taking pictures with it. Not bad.

Too bad you're missing out on the weather. Though it's getting a little hot for my taste, the heat coming off that 998 is brutal :lol, have to keep it rolling at all cost.

Is that one air cooled? My old monster had an oil cooler but no water. Got fucking hot. My BMW is water cooled but when sitting in traffic the fan kicks on and blows hot air all over you. :lol

Water cooled, but yeah, when you're waiting at a traffic light you can see the temperature needle climbing at a pretty steady rate.

It's nice when it's colder though, like there's a hot air dryer keeping my legs warm.

Great pics :)

I have since gotten the Y-pipe and installed it, so the bit of heat (a little bit of a bother on hotter days) coming off the pipes has been eliminated. I have my PCV and race filter now, waiting for PAIR/smog blockoff plates to arrive...then dyno tune time :D

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
doomed1 said:

last time i rode in the pouring rain i saw a car fly fly into an intersection after misjudging their braking, and another turning a corner at low speed and the entire back end swigning out into the road. i was shitting myself :p the ol bike stays inside when its pouring now. haha

I rode the 998 in the (very heavy) rain for the first time last weekend and I was amazed to find that the brakes had pretty much completely ceased to function. It was weird and somewhat disconcerting.

Flo_Evans

Rain does suck.

4885_1158402728902_1492788865_30403254_3218532_n.jpg

I was pretty happy though that my friend won his first race in the rain last weekend! :D

I need to give him some $$$ so I can get a sticker on his bike :lol

JayDub

2 Wheel Gaf, any idea if the Aprilia RS125 will be released in America as a street legal bike? Or will it stay track only?

Flo_Evans

JayDub said:
2 Wheel Gaf, any idea if the Aprilia RS125 will be released in America as a street legal bike? Or will it stay track only?

It's sold with mirrors, headlight, brake lights, and signals... why wouldn't it be street legal?

eh... looks like 2-strokes over 50cc can't be licensed for the street. And they are not sold with all the lights and mirrors here. You could add all the lights, and fudge the title a bit and do it if you really wanted.

They did make a 50cc version IIRC, but that thing was crazy. It was like riding a bicycle powered by an angry hornets nest. :lol

dammit! my friend keeps sending me pics of his bike at the track, ripping shit up. I am getting jealous... Maybe I will go get a RS125 and just race it. :D :D

4747_1159572198138_1492788865_30405951_2511930_n.jpg

and yes he is a police officer. Nothing quite like riding with a badge in your gang. Speed limits are completely ignored :lol

Speaking of the police, Flo...

I posted this on a couple of forums I frequent about an encounter I had today. I was not riding really any faster than I have in my onboard videos; thing is that's still breaking the speed limit by quite a bit (and a number of people here and elsewhere have said I need to push it more.............)

================================================================================================

A bit of a read, sorry...I really do want your input, though (especially the experienced riders). If you have the time, please read and respond.

I'm 20 years old (21 in Aug), and I got my first speeding ticket on my 09 last month. I was on the highway, following some cars in the left lane. A state trooper pulled up behind me and pulled me over. He was nice enough to lower my ticket, but I still have to take it to court (I do not want 2 points and I am hoping that he will either not show or I will get probation).

Fast forward to today. I just got my R1 back from the shop. I had put Akra slip ons and y-pipe on it, and then I had a BMC race filter installed, PAIR/SMOG blocked, PCV installed and dyno tuned. Considerably stronger up top, btw.

So, I rode it a bit, then I let my brother take it for a ride (he had ridden it before). I rode along on his Aprilia. We switched back to our normal bikes after a little while, and continued the ride. Not long after, I got pulled over by a county deputy (while my brother who I was following at the same speed rode away). This was not on a highway with a lot of cars. This was a windy country road. I was doing 60 in a 40 according to him (and this is a road I know very well; it feels like nothing to do that speed). He mentioned my speed to me, pointed out that I need to get some rear red reflectors (I knew this already and have been intending on it; just hadn't gotten the stupid tape yet), and said my tag is angled up a little much and that it needs to face straight out. It's the standard eliminator kit sold by Competition Werkes (good job, guys...). He went on to say he could tell I can handle my bike, but that he was concerned about the deer. He ended up giving me a written warning about the speed and mentioned the reflectors and plate angle on the paper. I feel I was pretty lucky to get that.

So my issue, then, is really about riding on the street. This was a back road, which I felt was not really much of an issue with cops. I do not personally feel I was riding unsafely, as I know the road very well and was not pushing myself. There were no cars in sight.

I do not want to ride track only (though I do want to go ride it). I'm not paying $150-225 per track day (and I would want to ride more often than the track days afford) every single week when I have roads that I help pay for with my taxes that are fun to ride on.

I know you guys don't ride your sport bikes going the speed limit the whole time. How do you deal with the law? I'm under 25, and any points/tickets will have devastating effects. A couple tickets might very well make it so I'd have to get rid of my bike (even though minus the aforementioned ticket I have a clean record). Getting a smaller bike would do absolutely nothing. I could ride a 250 at the same speed (and definitely a middleweight like I've had in the past), and chances are I would want to be going that fast, anyway. It was a very comfortable speed. It's different when I'm in my car...I don't feel comfortable breaking the speed limit nearly as much.

Any advice welcomed.

Damaged

With regards to the police i have managed okay so far, Ive had a few run ins and been lucky enough to get away with cautions every time. If your speeding then you know you are breaking the law and must accept the consequences of that action, thats the law. It is expensive to ride on the track but that is the only place where you will be able to ride as fast as you can without repercussions.

I do break the speed limit from time to time (and no doubt one day i will receive a ticket for it) but i try to do it where i know that there will be no police, ie: small country lane in the middle of nowhere, no traffic, and i will ride the road in both directions a few time partly to make sure its clear, and also to learn the road and look for any changes since i was last there.
Try not to ride on days where you know there will be allot of other bikers out there (one idiot riding in an unsafe manner will tar every other biker with the same brush). For example I wont go into wales on a bank holiday weekend anymore as I know that the police will be out in full force stopping every bike they see (I once had my numberplate measured, Tinted visor checked, sound levels checked, all in a layby by one keen policeman, who found them all legal but still kept me there for 45 Min's while he did all this).

Other than this I would say the simple answer is don't speed, if you cant afford the fines and would have to sell your bike then just think is the risk worth it? Whatever you think about the speed laws, they are the law and breaking it will have its consequences.

To be perfectly honest soapster, your post is why I don't own a sports bike (besides the fact they're uncomfortable to ride unless you're doing a decent speed). The fact is, unless you're living in an area with autobahn, you're doing the bike a disservice. When I want to ride really fast I hire out a rental from friends at the track and do so there.

Unfortunately, in many countries (especially the US I've noticed) there is a huge stigma among police forces with bikes, specifically sports bikes. There isn't much that can be done about that other than keeping your head low and explicitly following the speed limit.

Not fun, at all. I definitely sympathise, but I think your efforts are better spent on scraping up some money for a track membership and letting your throttle fly there.

daw840

Dragona Akehi said:
To be perfectly honest soapster, your post is why I don't own a sports bike (besides the fact they're uncomfortable to ride unless you're doing a decent speed). The fact is, unless you're living in an area with autobahn, you're doing the bike a disservice. When I want to ride really fast I hire out a rental from friends at the track and do so there.

Unfortunately, in many countries (especially the US I've noticed) there is a huge stigma among police forces with bikes, specifically sports bikes. There isn't much that can be done about that other than keeping your head low and explicitly following the speed limit.

Not fun, at all. I definitely sympathise, but I think your efforts are better spent on scraping up some money for a track membership and letting your throttle fly there.

A track membership? How much does that cost? I am assuming, of course, that this provides you with unlimited access to the track.

daw840 said:
A track membership? How much does that cost? I am assuming, of course, that this provides you with unlimited access to the track.

Cost depends on the track: some have memberships for X number of rides, some are unlimited, etc. Depending on your jurisdiction you might have to have a racing licence to be allowed on the track at all. Check out local racing groups and see what they say. You can often even take classes on how to properly ride a racing bike on the track.

JayDub

Dragona Akehi said:
Cost depends on the track: some have memberships for X number of rides, some are unlimited, etc. Depending on your jurisdiction you might have to have a racing licence to be allowed on the track at all. Check out local racing groups and see what they say. You can often even take classes on how to properly ride a racing bike on the track.

I used to frequent this one track down here in the LA county for $25 a night, 125 for a month. I'll ask my friend to see if he remembers.

EDIT: Its only weekends though, when its packed like crazy.

Flo_Evans said:
It's sold with mirrors, headlight, brake lights, and signals... why wouldn't it be street legal?

eh... looks like 2-strokes over 50cc can't be licensed for the street. And they are not sold with all the lights and mirrors here. You could add all the lights, and fudge the title a bit and do it if you really wanted.

They did make a 50cc version IIRC, but that thing was crazy. It was like riding a bicycle powered by an angry hornets nest. :lol

dammit! my friend keeps sending me pics of his bike at the track, ripping shit up. I am getting jealous... Maybe I will go get a RS125 and just race it. :D :D

4747_1159572198138_1492788865_30405951_2511930_n.jpg

and yes he is a police officer. Nothing quite like riding with a badge in your gang. Speed limits are completely ignored :lol

Thanks for the info. I was thinking exactly the same thing, "it comes with mirrors, lights, some pics even show a fender and rear turn signals. WTF isnt this street legal?" Your 2-stroke 50cc cleared it all up, I can go to sleep soundly tonight. :D

Flo_Evans

thesoapster said:
Speaking of the police, Flo...

I posted this on a couple of forums I frequent about an encounter I had today. I was not riding really any faster than I have in my onboard videos; thing is that's still breaking the speed limit by quite a bit (and a number of people here and elsewhere have said I need to push it more.............)

You are pretty much going to be a target of the police wherever you go on that bike. It looks fast, sounds fast, and hell it is fast! State troopers I have found, are the absolute worst and will write you up for any infraction possible. Not much you can do if you get caught by them but take your ticket and fight it in court/get a lawyer to reduce it to noise violation.

Local cops are usually more understanding. I try and avoid going by areas/bars where harley dudes hang out and drink. There are always cops around there. I also try and avoid main streets (although it is hard out in the country, sometimes a highway will just turn into a small town) If you come up to a small town just SLOW down and cruise through. Other than that, if/when you do get pulled over: Stop quickly and safely, turn the bike off, take off your helmet and wait. Talking to my friends that are cops, their worst fear pulling a bike over is the dude trying to run and then they have to scrape him off the pavement when he bins it. Cop will be in a much better mood if he doesn't have to chase you. Try and be nice, never admit guilt and take the ticket if he gives you one. I am pretty lucky that my wife works for a local court and can just delete my tickets out of the computer :D but I have never had to have her do it on my bike. Been let off with warnings each time.

As for the track, you will have to look but the cheapest option I have found is to go with a local car/bike club when they rent it for a day.

One note that an old friend told me was: "no matter how expensive the track membership is, it's still cheaper than a ticket and insurance hikes."

Speeding tickets will affect your rate, and oftentimes insurance companies have a "one strike you're fucked" policy with sportsbike owners, sadly.

Flo_Evans

I should also say, the police officers worry about deer is a legitimate. If you are riding at dawn or dusk... mid-day, not so much. Which is why I try and avoid riding at dawn or dusk. You could of pointed that out to him, but it is often best to let the officer give his little rant if you are getting off with a warning...

Ah yes, the law.

I think I've been very lucky up till now. I've been driving motorcycles for 5 years now and in that time received only one ticket and that was for doing 54km/h in a 50km/h zone. Should get a medal for behaving so well. But yeah, other than that, nothing. And I do tend to speed, a lot.

That 998 literally can't drive slower than 70km/h, only then does the 2 cylinder chugging smooth out. I do speed in a relatively specific way though, I never speed constantly. I absolutely floor it for a couple seconds and then fall back down to more 'normal speeds'. This way cops in civilian cars can't get an average reading. And I'm always completely paranoid on the bike, constantly checking in the mirrors if there's cars following. Whenever someone does 'latch on', I ease off the throttle and let them pass, see who's in them.

In the end, it's luck though. I fully expect to get caught somewhere down the line.

Damaged

Dragona Akehi said:
A big "FUCK YOU" to the asshole who ripped off my left rear indicator, while I was parked.

GRRR.

Sorry, I needed to vent.

That sucks! Had a similar thing happen to me a few years ago, some bastard decided it would be funny to crack the screen on my speedo :( Turns out i cant buy the screen seperatley and it would cost me £150 for a new speedo, needless to say the screen is still cracked

Scarecrow

As a new rider, I was pretty spooked when a cop turned on his lights while behind me on the way home from work a while ago. I started to slow down and he zipped past me, apparently after some one else.

I just picked up this last night:

DSC00548.JPG

Well...not that exact one, but that model anyway. I've only ridden a trials bike for about an hour but had a lot of fun. I'll hopefully get it out on the weekend for my first proper ride.

Damaged

wormstrangler said:
I just picked up this last night:

DSC00548.JPG

Well...not that exact one, but that model anyway. I've only ridden a trials bike for about an hour but had a lot of fun. I'll hopefully get it out on the weekend for my first proper ride.

Awesome! Love trials riding, got an old Montessa 248 cota (last of the twin shock bikes made) that im in the middle of fixing up at the moment. You are going to have so much fun with that bike! :D

Damaged said:
That sucks! Had a similar thing happen to me a few years ago, some bastard decided it would be funny to crack the screen on my speedo :( Turns out i cant buy the screen seperatley and it would cost me £150 for a new speedo, needless to say the screen is still cracked

Yeah for this, it's a stupid rubber post that involves taking off the entire seating frame (not just the seat), so this is going to be LOVELY.

OK! I am now confirmed for my MSF course for the second week of July!!

I'm so excited to actually be doing this. :D As a bonus, my girlfriend will be attending with me--she's interested in getting a scooter for her commute.

So here's my question:

I've "settled" on a ninja 250--I'm mainly using the bike for my 8 minute commute (3 of which are on the highway) and I live near some what look to be fun canyons, so the 250 seems like it will be a great bike for both of those things and for my first year or so of riding.

I now need to get some gear.

What I'd like to do is get a jacket and some pants that I can wear over my work slacks. What is recommended for the beginner? I'd like to get over-pants that are easy enough to get on and off (but that offer protection) that I won't hesitate to wear them each time I get on the bike.

daw840

SnakeswithLasers said:
OK! I am now confirmed for my MSF course for the second week of July!!

I'm so excited to actually be doing this. :D As a bonus, my girlfriend will be attending with me--she's interested in getting a scooter for her commute.

So here's my question:

I've "settled" on a ninja 250--I'm mainly using the bike for my 8 minute commute (3 of which are on the highway) and I live near some what look to be fun canyons, so the 250 seems like it will be a great bike for both of those things and for my first year or so of riding.

I now need to get some gear.

What I'd like to do is get a jacket and some pants that I can wear over my work slacks. What is recommended for the beginner? I'd like to get over-pants that are easy enough to get on and off (but that offer protection) that I won't hesitate to wear them each time I get on the bike.

If you are in a hot weather climate I would HIGHLY recommend a mesh jacket with armor in the elbows, shoulders, and spine areas. Also, I would recommend a modular helmet. They are incredibly nice when you are just putting around slowly to be able to lift the entire chin piece over your head so you don't get too hot. As for pants, I just wear jeans so I have no advice. Be sure to get well ventilated gloves. I have a pair of Joe Rocket gloves that I like quite a bit. TBH though, I usually just wear my helmet. It's been so hot lately I have been forgoing the other stuff. Probably stupid, but meh. I see people around here in shorts, no shirt, and no helmet all the fucking time.

Top Bottom