• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

daw840 said:
If you are in a hot weather climate I would HIGHLY recommend a mesh jacket with armor in the elbows, shoulders, and spine areas. Also, I would recommend a modular helmet. They are incredibly nice when you are just putting around slowly to be able to lift the entire chin piece over your head so you don't get too hot. As for pants, I just wear jeans so I have no advice. Be sure to get well ventilated gloves. I have a pair of Joe Rocket gloves that I like quite a bit. TBH though, I usually just wear my helmet. It's been so hot lately I have been forgoing the other stuff. Probably stupid, but meh. I see people around here in shorts, no shirt, and no helmet all the fucking time.

I don't think I'll be going out without at least jacket, gloves and a helmet.

The pants part is what I'm pretty sure I'll end up neglecting on my short commute in the mornings.

How much will a decent jacket/armor combo run?

Tomorrow is SW Chicago's Freedom Run. Last year there were over 60,000 bikes and it was bloody amazing.

Weather's supposed to be clear and high 80s. Life is good.

Pictures up on Sunday mist likely.

Snakes, I would not recommend mesh jackets (or pants for that matter). They're better than nothing, but a friend of mine was wearing a Vanson (respected name in leather) mesh jacket during a low side. It just disintegrated in the slide.

Most leather jackets come with some sort of venting. Perforation is nice, yes. The drawback is that it is weaker in the event of a crash. Also, perforated jackets are not made as much. Another venting method is zipper vents. These let air into the jacket as you might guess.

There are some textile alternatives that are apparently better than leather, but I don't think I'd use them. Leather contours to the body much better than textile and it won't flap around. It's best to get a jacket that has a cut that fits your body and is not too loose anywhere. There's generally a brand (or several) for everyone that has the appropriate fit. Because of its contour, I generally bring this up as a safety point when talking about textile vs leather. When jacket material is not a smooth, snug fit, it often forms ripples. This makes it easier to roll instead of slide (which in the event of a crash sliding is preferable). Even if you find a textile jacket that fits you well, it has a tendency to not want to hold its shape. Leather, on the other hand, keeps better form.

Whichever you buy, you should aim for a tight, but comfortable fit. As mentioned the dimensions of the cut vary by jacket/brand. Try a bunch on at a shop and you'll most likely find a winner.

As a final note, aim for a jacket that CE armor. As daw840 said, get a jacket with armor in the shoulders, elbows, and spine. If you want a particular jacket that lacks the spine protector (as some do) there are many spine guards/back protectors out there that'll work.

---------

In other news, I'm still a Spidi whore (mostly because their cut fits me perfectly). After my accident my old jacket (Spidi Scarface Wind) had gotten messed up pretty badly. I figured I'd just fall back on my older Joe Rocket leather jacket and use that. After a few months I decided to get another jacket that was lighter, fit better, looked better, had better protection, etc. This jacket included the spine guard as well as chest armor, which is a first for me. I got the Spidi GP Kangaroo jacket. As the name implies, it's kangaroo leather.

gp_kangaroo.jpg

Same color scheme as my bike, which I suppose fits with my gay sense of biker fashion
(no I'm not actually gay).

garath

Just got back this week from New Jersey Motorsports park to ride the Thunderbolt track for the second time this year. Two days of fast, flowing riding. I absolutely love that track. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in trackdays within 4 hours of the track to give it a shot.

I go with the great organization - www.tonystrackdays.com

Tony and his staff run a very safe, educational trackday.

Personally I made huge progress this time. It was only my 4th and 5th day at a track but I had a big "now I get it" moment and I had a blast.

I plan on making it down there in sept for their next NJ day.

SnakeswithLasers said:
Thanks for that info...

I found a jacket that I like--but it only has "padded elbows" (CE shoulders and a pocket for a back protector).

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/...+jackets/shift_967+distressed+leather+jacket#

That is a cool looking jacket. If you can, it might not hurt to go out to a shop and try some on. If you find one you like, get the info for it (size, make, and model etc) and see if you can find it online for cheaper. It's almost certainly worth a shot. There's some cool looking stuff out there that'll never fit me right, but also plenty that does. So spending a little fashion time trying all the shit on that they have at the shop will pay off.

Some online shops that I like are:
http://www.kneedraggers.com/
http://www.newenough.com/
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/

thesoapster said:
That is a cool looking jacket. If you can, it might not hurt to go out to a shop and try some on. If you find one you like, get the info for it (size, make, and model etc) and see if you can find it online for cheaper. It's almost certainly worth a shot. There's some cool looking stuff out there that'll never fit me right, but also plenty that does. So spending a little fashion time trying all the shit on that they have at the shop will pay off.

Some online shops that I like are:
http://www.kneedraggers.com/
http://www.newenough.com/
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/

Awesome, I've seen newenough recommended a lot.

I'm going to go to the Kawasaki shop this week to see if they have any 250s left, so I'll try on some gear. I need to at least pick up gloves for my riding class anyway.

Hey, two wheel Gaf. I think I'll finally be joining your ranks in a little less than a day. I asked some basic questions about bikes a few months ago (February maybe?) and finally took the MSF class this past weekend in lovely 97 degree weather. Bought a helmet and some gloves yesterday, got my license upgraded today, and plan on picking up the rest of my gear and a bike tomorrow. Pretty sweet.

I think I asked about the SV650 when I posted in this thread initially. I've had my eye on the naked frame version of that bad boy this whole time. It seemed like the motorcycle that I'd end up with from the moment I saw it. Well, I'm still going to end up with an SV650, but it's going to have a nice F jammed between the S and V. Yeah, I saw the Gladius for the first time about a month ago and was very intrigued. I sat on one today and it seemed to fit me perfectly. I've seen some people call it goofy looking. While I can see where they're coming from, I totally dig the style of the bike. I did sit on an SV650 sport today (they had no naked frames), and didn't really like how the frame was separated from the tires and handlebars. I also felt like the more forward-sitting position would be a little uncomfortable for me as a new rider.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Really excited. Thanks for the many tips you guys posted in this thread. It was a really useful source of information. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute some from the other side soon.

The Gladius is a pretty sweet ride. I sat on one and it had very nice ergos that fit me. The 650 v-twin is a proven design for Suzuki, so you know the bike will be bulletproof.

I stopped by the Kawasaki dealership today after work. My girlfriend looked at the scooters (they have Buddy's, which she might end up with), but I checked out the ninjas. The 250s look amazingly slick for a bike with that little displacement. I'm really excited. The course isn't for a couple of weeks, so I need to just maintain until the 18th--then I'll be buying a bike, probably end up with the black or green. I feel bad getting the green since it's a baby ninja, and the black one just looks sooo good...

daw840

Very nice. Congrats man, and be safe out there. Every cager (car) on the road is trying to run you over, just remember that and you should be fine.

daw840 said:
Very nice. Congrats man, and be safe out there. Every cager (car) on the road is trying to run you over, just remember that and you should be fine.

Yeah. I'm quite actively checking my mirrors and staying out of blind spots as I drive.

SnakeswithLasers said:
Awesome! Is that your first bike?

Indeed it is. The class and everything so far has been quite an experience.

IamMattFox said:
Indeed it is. The class and everything so far has been quite an experience.

That's very cool. I'm taking the class starting July 9th, and I'm buying a Ninja 250R as soon as I'm done (assuming I enjoy myself and am still this excited...). The Gladius is a 650, right?

SnakeswithLasers said:
I stopped by the Kawasaki dealership today after work. My girlfriend looked at the scooters (they have Buddy's, which she might end up with), but I checked out the ninjas. The 250s look amazingly slick for a bike with that little displacement. I'm really excited. The course isn't for a couple of weeks, so I need to just maintain until the 18th--then I'll be buying a bike, probably end up with the black or green. I feel bad getting the green since it's a baby ninja, and the black one just looks sooo good...

Welcome to the Ninja club, dude. It's an awesome place to be.

thesoapster said:
Beautiful bike. Enjoy it :)

Thank you, good sir. I believe you were the one who, months ago, told me that a 650 wouldn't be too much for a beginner. It doesn't seem like it will be, but I guess time will tell on that one. :lol

SnakeswithLasers said:
That's very cool. I'm taking the class starting July 9th, and I'm buying a Ninja 250R as soon as I'm done (assuming I enjoy myself and am still this excited...). The Gladius is a 650, right?

Awesome. If your experience is anything like mine, you'll love being on a bike in the class and be dying to get back on one as soon as it's over. It was three days between the class and getting my bike, and that wait felt like an incredibly long one.

Yeah, the Gladius is a 650.

IamMattFox said:
Thank you, good sir. I believe you were the one who, months ago, told me that a 650 wouldn't be too much for a beginner. It doesn't seem like it will be, but I guess time will tell on that one. :lol

Engine displacement numbers are all relative - plenty of racing 600s that go crazy fast - but generally speaking the 600 range is fine to start out on as long as you're not trying to take turns too fast. That's where you get into trouble.

daw840

LiveFromKyoto said:
Engine displacement numbers are all relative - plenty of racing 600s that go crazy fast - but generally speaking the 600 range is fine to start out on as long as you're not trying to take turns too fast. That's where you get into trouble.

This and the twin 650 is much tamer than a I-4 600 supersport.

IamMattFox said:

Hah! Depends on how you behave :p

I had no problems starting on a used i4 600, but I had to baby that throttle so much for the first couple weeks. I wish I had started on an SV instead.

IamMattFox said:

600cc is fine for a beginner. You would out grow a 250 quick. Last year one of my homeboys went out and bought his 1st bike... GSXR 600. After he told me the news the next day I searched online about Motorcycles because I knew nothing about 'em. The next day after that I went to Britt Motor Sport and bought a R6... no regrets. I want a R1 now, but I haven't topped out my R6 yet.

2004 Yamaha R6

b2.jpg

My R6 Looking Very Clean!

b5.jpg

Me @ Black Bike Week 2008 Myrtle Beach, SC.

Just bought:
Yoshimura TRC Slip-On $499.00
Fender Eliminator Kit by Targa $49.99

Team Jones said:
600cc is fine for a beginner. You would out grow a 250 quick.

It depends on what kind of riding you do. I could ride the 600 or 750 just as fast as my R1 if I actually tried (because I'm not at the track and the street only allows so much). I haven't ridden a Ninja 250R, but I wouldn't be surprised if I could do the same on it given time. There are guys that are running 250's at the track who ride better and faster than others there on the larger race replicas. It's more the convenience of having lower end power and not always having to rev the hell out of it to stay in the power. They're all fast. 600's can be OK to start on (I started on one), but they don't make getting used to riding on the streets all that easy because they're likely to be different from anything you've ever touched before in terms of power and response. So beginners have to be careful.

thesoapster said:
It depends on what kind of riding you do. I could ride the 600 or 750 just as fast as my R1 if I actually tried (because I'm not at the track and the street only allows so much). I haven't ridden a Ninja 250R, but I wouldn't be surprised if I could do the same on it given time. There are guys that are running 250's at the track who ride better and faster than others there on the larger race replicas. It's more the convenience of having lower end power and not always having to rev the hell out of it to stay in the power. They're all fast. 600's can be OK to start on (I started on one), but they don't make getting used to riding on the streets all that easy because they're likely to be different from anything you've ever touched before in terms of power and response. So beginners have to be careful.

On top of this I've heard 250's have a good resale value.

Team Jones said:
On top of this I've heard 250's have a good resale value.

Yeah, they seem to hold their value better than Harley's and BMW's! :lol

I went to the Bob's BMW event today. Took a snap of the new S1000RR. It looks better in person than in photos for sure. The odd headlight design does not necessarily appeal to me, but eh. BMW likes being different. If it does indeed have 193 crank HP it should put down a clobbering amount to the rear wheel. It's thin, small, and light. It feels a lot like the Triumph Daytona 675 to me. I won't be surprised if it clobbers the Big Four's liter bikes. It's still a few grand more for the base bike (no traction control/ABS) and then a good bit more for the maintenance work. That and the closest dealer is about 1/2 hour away (with low traffic). Boo on that. I could definitely live with it, but eh. The ergos are not the best for the street, and I prefer the look and sound of my machine, anyway :D

s1000rr.jpg

Team Jones said:
Style Wise in the 600cc Class [Three Major Companies]... Yamaha R6 > Honda CBR600 >>> Suzuki GSX-R 600 ... IMO!

Three? You left out Kawasaki :p

Of the current crop of 600's (and the 675 triple) for looks alone, I'd rate:

R6 > Daytona 675 >> ZX-6R / GSX-R (must get rid of the bad-looking stock can on both) >>>> CBR600RR

Honda's design is boring to me. They did throw some ugly ass paint options in with the 09 model to make it a bit visually louder, though.

I'm not sure now you can put the R6 miles ahead of the CBR. They look really similar:

cbr600rr_abs_blk.jpg

09ms_yzfr6_blk_s1_3a2f2e2e.jpg

For my money I think the CBR looks nice. I think Beemers have the slickest styling out of any bikes though. I love the look to the elongated wheelbase, the forks and the detail on the sides on the K1300:

bmw_k1300r_2009_4.jpg

JayDub

Team Jones said:
600cc is fine for a beginner. You would out grow a 250 quick. Last year one of my homeboys went out and bought his 1st bike... GSXR 600. After he told me the news the next day I searched online about Motorcycles because I knew nothing about 'em. The next day after that I went to Britt Motor Sport and bought a R6... no regrets. I want a R1 now, but I haven't topped out my R6 yet.

2004 Yamaha R6

b2.jpg

My R6 Looking Very Clean!

b5.jpg

Me @ Black Bike Week 2008 Myrtle Beach, SC.

Just bought:
Yoshimura TRC Slip-On $499.00
Fender Eliminator Kit by Targa $49.99

Seeing that you started on a 600, you wouldnt know how fast someone would grow out of a 250, would you? Let me guess, you got that from your online research, right?

I'll tell anyone this:

If you don't know manual, if you've never handled a throttle you have NO business on a 600cc+. One of these things will happen:

-You'll be afraid of the power much longer than you will on a less powerful bike. Being so afraid of the capabilities of your ride and not full confidence in YOUR abilities = slow learner, learn bad habits, all you can do RIGHT is go straight.

-You'll let loose on the throttle and flip, or the power going to the rear wheel will make you panic and change your balance, causing it to fishtail. Your beginner instincts will tell you to fight it by moving around, causing the bike to fall on one side.

We all know what it felt like when we first handled a throttle. That initial "jolt" pushes you forward, and if you panic, you'll twist it more and hit a curb, tree, or wall.

Whether or not you'll grow out of it, is up to the rider. I still have my 250 and 500 for the instant fun. I feel like Im in total control, moreso than with any other bike. Dont get me wrong, you can learn on 600cc. But most likely, you'll learn some very bad habits along with learning to ride.

Some things are best learned when you're confident that you're in control. Emergency maneuvers, for one. Proper leaning technique, proper braking (or avoiding) procedure, how to handle a tank slapper, how to handle a fish tail.

Anyways, my mind is all over the place, I got one last thing to say:

Nice choice on bike, that design is classic..theres a reason why Yamaha keeps it in its lineup as the "S". Fucking beautiful. Personally, I don't like riding an R6 at all. Im the type to like instant gratification where ever and however I ride. The R6 is a fucking mule low end, and then suddenly all this power comes high end. Unless you're on a track, its annoying as hell.

Burger

Here is a top tip.

If your tank overflow is blocked, and the fuel cap surround has filled with water, don't open it to see how much gas you have.

I have half a cup of water in my tank now. Not looking forward to taking the tank off and draining that bitch.

Speaking of gas and tanks...

Anyone have tips on not spilling gas on your tank? I do it every damn time.

Maybe I shouldn't fill up at the gas station? Maybe get a plastic container and fill up at home?

Burger

half a moon said:

Maybe I shouldn't fill up at the gas station? Maybe get a plastic container and fill up at home?

Just use the water they have in those buckets to wash it off, then wipe it dry with a paper towel. Or do what I do and as you take the nozzle out, put your hand under it as you move it away from your bike.

half a moon said:

Just make sure you let the nozzle drip empty out into the tank when you're done, tap it against the sides of the opening before taking it out to get all the gas out.

LiveFromKyoto said:
I'm not sure now you can put the R6 miles ahead of the CBR. They look really similar

They both have dual headlights, but I much prefer the front end of the R6. The tail of the R6 is much sharper/thinner, the angles everywhere on the R6 are sharper and meaner. The fairings are a good bit different in person, also (again with the R6 looking more aggressive). Just look at the gas tank covers. The CBR has a more relaxed look to it (especially the front). Looking at just the side profile is kind of misleading.

I liked the CBR600RR's look for a while but it's old looking. That design came out in 2007. I think they should've freshened up its look a bit more

Woo! My girlfriend and I just got back from our second day of classroom instruction.

Next weekend (bah, a whole week away...) we are doing the training course. A few days later, assuming I love it, I'll be at the dealership buying my Ninja. Can not wait.

So finally had a chance to get the new indicator light installed. Hooray for a left turn signal again. Now the engine is clinking a bit; I hope it's just time for a valve adjustment and the cam chains aren't worn out.

Of course my mechanic's solution is to buy his Bandit 1250 ABS. :p

JayDub said:
Seeing that you started on a 600, you wouldnt know how fast someone would grow out of a 250, would you? Let me guess, you got that from your online research, right?

I'll tell anyone this:

If you don't know manual, if you've never handled a throttle you have NO business on a 600cc+. One of these things will happen:

-You'll be afraid of the power much longer than you will on a less powerful bike. Being so afraid of the capabilities of your ride and not full confidence in YOUR abilities = slow learner, learn bad habits, all you can do RIGHT is go straight.

-You'll let loose on the throttle and flip, or the power going to the rear wheel will make you panic and change your balance, causing it to fishtail. Your beginner instincts will tell you to fight it by moving around, causing the bike to fall on one side.

We all know what it felt like when we first handled a throttle. That initial "jolt" pushes you forward, and if you panic, you'll twist it more and hit a curb, tree, or wall.

Whether or not you'll grow out of it, is up to the rider. I still have my 250 and 500 for the instant fun. I feel like Im in total control, moreso than with any other bike. Dont get me wrong, you can learn on 600cc. But most likely, you'll learn some very bad habits along with learning to ride.

Some things are best learned when you're confident that you're in control. Emergency maneuvers, for one. Proper leaning technique, proper braking (or avoiding) procedure, how to handle a tank slapper, how to handle a fish tail.

Nice choice on bike, that design is classic..theres a reason why Yamaha keeps it in its lineup as the "S". Fucking beautiful. Personally, I don't like riding an R6 at all. Im the type to like instant gratification where ever and however I ride. The R6 is a fucking mule low end, and then suddenly all this power comes high end. Unless you're on a track, its annoying as hell.

Yea, I have to say that through the research I did on the internet, the holder of infinite wisdom, I came to the conclusion that 250cc wouldn't stand the test of time. On top of that I'm in the Marine Corps and there is A LOT of bikes in the town surrounding base. Mostly 600cc and up. I hate to say peer pressure got to me, but peer pressure got to me!

I've never drove a Manual before I bought my bike. I had to have the lady who sold me the bike ride it back to my house. Learning was scary, but over the course of two weeks I had the basics down packed. During my 1st week driving on the streets I was the Self Proclaimed "Stall Out King"!

Developing bad habit is very common in beginner riders. I hate fact that if you're in the Marine Corps and you have a bike you must take 3 Classes: DOD Motorcycle Class, MSF Basic Riders Course, MSF Military SportBike Rider Course. Granted I hate Courses, Classes, and Briefs the Instructors were top notch and pointed out ever bad habit everyone had. To this day I will say I hate "Wasting My Time ", but it taught me more than a little bit!

You're definitely right about the body style of my Yamaha R6... It's Classic. I also agree about everything else you said in regards to the Yamaha.

When it comes to bikes, regardless of the year, they never really look old. If you do a comparison between an 04 Yamaha r6 and a 09 Yamaha R6... they both look good, but if you were to compare a 04 Toyota Camry to a 09 Toyota Camry... one looks way better than the other. I know this isn't a fair comparison, but it's for people who want bikes, but don't do research and automatically think that newer year bike styles are always better looking. I love bike styles because each evolution doesn't make there previous look obsolete; The 04 R6 looks like a completely different beast then the 09 R6.

JayDub said:

I'll tell anyone this:

This man knows what he's talking about.

There's a reason that the Marine Corps makes you take so many classes:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/30/marine.motorcycles/index.html

The 250CC isn't supposed to "stand the test of time". That's the problem that beginners never seem to get. Your first bike is only going to be your last if you take it too fast and bite off more than you can chew.

Ashhong

anybody have any idea what the prices are like for a new ninja 250 in socal? i know retail is 4000 now, is there still a shitload of markup? talking to dealers is fucking useless, i cant get a straight answer

Ashhong said:
anybody have any idea what the prices are like for a new ninja 250 in socal? i know retail is 4000 now, is there still a shitload of markup? talking to dealers is fucking useless, i cant get a straight answer

Dealer I talked to in SB said $4k...

Ashhong said:
holy shit, msrp otd? i got my 08 last year for 4700 @ mission motorsports. SB = san bernardino? so i would assume Chapparal?

SB = Santa Barbara

I'm guessing the economy has something to do with it. I checked at this time last year for an 08 and they were out--each time I checked back, they were sold out--the waiting list was super long.

This year they said, "ya, we've got plenty. if you need a different color, let us know and we'll order it right up. shouldn't be a problem."

Ashhong

hm santa barbara. quite a bit away. ill have to check down here now that i know demand is less. thanks. did you have to fight them down to 4k or was that just their first quote?

and yea, last year was crazy around this time. i had to put a deposit down over a month in advance, picked it up july 1 for 4700 just barely.

Hells yes. My jacket got here. New Enough is pretty much the best shipping ever.
I ordered it on SUNDAY...and it got here on Tuesday. Texas to CA. I didn't even spring for sweet shipping, just used their "allotted free shipping" amount of $12 and here it is.

ui2ik7f8dd2d812viewattth1227fb75026.jpg

Flo_Evans

Glad to see more GAFers joining our ranks! Haven't rode anywhere of note lately. Just around town and to work a few nice days. I need to plan another trip (expedition!) into the wild. :D

This reminds me, earlier in the thread I was daydreaming about a huge GAf 2 wheel rally. IDK how realistic that is since we are all pretty spread out over the country (and the world) but how about a sticker we could make and all put on our bikes/helmets?

I kind of hate the neoGAF logo but the pokeball is prime for a 2 wheel logo treatment. Just a thought! I could work up some logos and get them printed and mail off stickers or we could do it more open source and just post the art files then you can make a t-shirt or whatever you want out of it.

Scarecrow

SnakeswithLasers said:
Hells yes. My jacket got here. New Enough is pretty much the best shipping ever.
I ordered it on SUNDAY...and it got here on Tuesday. Texas to CA. I didn't even spring for sweet shipping, just used their "allotted free shipping" amount of $12 and here it is.

ui2ik7f8dd2d812viewattth1227fb75026.jpg
I feel super goofy wearing one of those types of jackets since I ride a cruising type of bike, not a sports bike. Most riders around here wear no protection. Probably because it's so hot (Florida). I'm too obsesed with safety.

Top Bottom