• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Watevaman

The white and red is sexy but I'm not feeling the front. Looks a bit like the streetfighter and I'm not a fan of the recessed style headlight.

Also not gonna be able to buy anyway so there's that lol

Hoping to get my bike fixed up before winter comes, been having some carb issues because aftermarket fuel mixture screw fell out with out me knowing it....

Last fall:
YVe6Bfy.jpg

Jackson

So next riding season I'm thinking of adding a Dual Sport/Adventure(Enduro??).

I'm just not sure what to get. Here in Washington State we have tons of awesome logging trails/ATV trails and single trails all over the place. And I can get to plenty of them within 30 mins to 2 hours of highway driving. I'm just looking for some intermediate off-road fun, not hardcore technical single lane 250cc dirtbike stuff but I also want something more than just "hey mild gravel road adventure!"

I was looking at the BMW 650 Sertao or the KTM 690 Enduro R. Are those too heavy still in the dirt? I think anything heavier would suck in the woods. Should I suck it up and get like a 350 dualsport instead of an adventure-lite bike? I think the problem is I'm going to have to do some decent highway driving to get out to the trails (or buy a truck which I have no place to park lol)

Thoughts 2 Wheel GAF?

See above post. ^ Suzuki DR650

Bullet proof engine, manageable weight, oodles of low end torque, fair price, freeway capable (mine will pull 70mph easy with the low gearing I have on it and would do 80+ easy with stock gearing). Mine is a 2008 with low miles and I got it for $2700 last year.

KLR is better at roads than the DR650, but it's heavier weight makes them more difficult to ride off-road.

Edit: Video of a hill climb with my bike (but somebody else riding)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-jA_D7H6o0&a=UUf68LDPp8fbYsrrP1hZBIIg&index=1

Hoping to get my bike fixed up before winter comes, been having some carb issues because aftermarket fuel mixture screw fell out with out me knowing it....

Last fall:
YVe6Bfy.jpg

Nothing as good as a DR bike. I had a mate that built a rack to fit his downhill bike to the back. Then he would go out for rides trying to find nice mountainbike hills. Stop the bike on the top.... get on the mountain bike and bom down the hill.

Nice looking machine and it does make me miss my KLR650 thumper

Dougald

The blue is a nice looker. At my local dealer too!

If throaty exhausts (while avoiding getting pulled by plod) are your thing, Arrows are the ones to have on a Triumph

The blue is a nice looker. At my local dealer too!

If throaty exhausts (while avoiding getting pulled by plod) are your thing, Arrows are the ones to have on a Triumph

Dont think they would sell a bike with cans that you are not allowed to use on the road. But yes that underseat cans does look very nice...

Have you ever heard of Cheddar gorge? Saw a vid the other day and it looks like an awesome ride out before the winter strikes

http://www.cheddargorge.co.uk/

Dougald

Dont think they would sell a bike with cans that you are not allowed to use on the road. But yes that underseat cans does look very nice...

Have you ever heard of Cheddar gorge? Saw a vid the other day and it looks like an awesome ride out before the winter strikes

http://www.cheddargorge.co.uk/

Triumph sell the "TORS" cans which are marked off-road use only and technically not legal in the UK, though I would bet you that they pass the MOT with them. The arrows are only legal if you leave the removable baffles in, but as they are not marked as off-road it would really depend on your local policeman or MOT tester if you left the baffles out.

Cheddar Gorge is one of the places I keep meaning to bike to - I've been but not on the bike! It's the British grand canyon, so much smaller and with more tea rooms. That whole part of the country is great for biking though, lots of elevation changes, and while it's no Scottish Highlands, it does have the advantage of being a 1-2 hour ride away from the London area instead of about 12.

WbdU0Th.jpg

Triumph sell the "TORS" cans which are marked off-road use only and technically not legal in the UK, though I would bet you that they pass the MOT with them. The arrows are only legal if you leave the removable baffles in, but as they are not marked as off-road it would really depend on your local policeman or MOT tester if you left the baffles out.

Cheddar Gorge is one of the places I keep meaning to bike to - I've been but not on the bike! It's the British grand canyon, so much smaller and with more tea rooms. That whole part of the country is great for biking though, lots of elevation changes, and while it's no Scottish Highlands, it does have the advantage of being a 1-2 hour ride away from the London area instead of about 12.

WbdU0Th.jpg

Sweet... I will have to see if I can get out there as it really does look awesome to ride.

Dougald

M4 > M5 is the quickest way to get there, but if you want a more scenic route back, the more southerly A303 isn't too bad outside the summer holidays. Plus you go right past Stonehenge. Worth doing one time to confirm that, yes, it is just a bunch of rocks in a field.

Just saw a review of the monster 1200 and it does not have a fuel gauge... wow that is weird for 2014 bikes not to have that.

Was watching a naked shootout and the Aprillia Touno won the day... tack and street review. Forgot that they are still going and they make super nice bikes.

8pdTJGG.jpg

most fuel gauges are garbage anyhow. both my beamer and my z stay solid for half the tank, and then drop at the speed of light, then hang around with one or two notches for a silly amount of time. i'd rather have a gear indicator than a fuel gauge, all things told.

and when my z1000 reaches the end of its garage lifespan, the tuono will be its successor ;-)

Dougald

The analogue gauges on my ST1100 and Fazer 600 were pretty good. The ST especially, but that's probably down to the tank actually being under the seat rather than in the traditional location, so it underwent less lateral movement.

The one on my wifes (soon to be ex) bike is hilarious, it moves by up to 50% depending on how much the bike tips. My Street only has a reserve light and I find that to simply come on when it feels like it, and has little bearing on how much fuel is remaining.

The best fuel gauge is still just opening the tank and taking a look...

GONZO

This is the current version of my bike after a few mods. I gotta say, even with all the small gremlins this has been one of my favorite bikes I've ever owned.

DSC01019_zps474f6c0e.jpg

DSC01021_zpsa5cac8ce.jpg

DSC01022_zpsd3b77f8b.jpg

DSC01024_zpsc9d91eac.jpg

DSC01025_zpsdc2b9143.jpg

DSC01026_zpsde60e6ac.jpg

1236033_10152690586054840_7298337537276074820_n_zps1d68e0ba.jpg

Watevaman

I just can't believe how good that thing looks man. If MV keeps it up and I have the means years and years down the road, they'll be on my list.

Hi 2 wheel gaf, new guy here.

After my bike got wrecked last year (Triumph Speed Triple) I've finally decided to get a new bike. It's between a Sportster 1200 or an Indian Scout once they release later this year.

One question I had is what type of jacket I should get. Would a leather Dainese jacket look too out of place on a cruiser? I'm a fan of the quality and safety but I know wearing sport bike gear on a cruiser will look ridiculous. What do you all think?

Also, I know years ago they used to say modular helmets were unsafe because the lid may pop open on collision. Is that still true?

Thanks for your help gaf!!!

This is the current version of my bike after a few mods. I gotta say, even with all the small gremlins this has been one of my favorite bikes I've ever owned.

Fantastic looking ride. Well done.

GONZO

Thanks for the kind words guys. It was kind of tricky trying to mod this bike without making it look too gaudy. Seems much of the MV crowd likes to overdo things in my opinion.

Damaged

DSC01019_zps474f6c0e.jpg

DSC01021_zpsa5cac8ce.jpg

DSC01022_zpsd3b77f8b.jpg

DSC01024_zpsc9d91eac.jpg

DSC01025_zpsdc2b9143.jpg

DSC01026_zpsde60e6ac.jpg

1236033_10152690586054840_7298337537276074820_n_zps1d68e0ba.jpg

Absolutely bloody stunning, and I hate you.... Just kidding but that does look fantastic. Always had a thing for MV's and the brutale is an amazing bit of kit.

Welcome to you're "DOOM!";131828270 said:
Hi 2 wheel gaf, new guy here.

After my bike got wrecked last year (Triumph Speed Triple) I've finally decided to get a new bike. It's between a Sportster 1200 or an Indian Scout once they release later this year.

One question I had is what type of jacket I should get. Would a leather Dainese jacket look too out of place on a cruiser? I'm a fan of the quality and safety but I know wearing sport bike gear on a cruiser will look ridiculous. What do you all think?

Also, I know years ago they used to say modular helmets were unsafe because the lid may pop open on collision. Is that still true?

Thanks for your help gaf!!!

Fantastic looking ride. Well done.

Just get what you like, if you are comfortable in it and it's well made and safe that's the priority. The last thing you want to be worried about on a motorcycle is fashion or what people think you look like. Get what you want and enjoy the bike.

Dougald

Wear what you like, even when I had my Bonneville I'd wear full textile gear in the cold. If you want the "cruiser" look though, I tend to wear fully-lined kevlar jeans with armour on warmer days.. my leather jacket is a generic black so doesn't really look out of place on anything!

I'm still a little wary of them for this reason. While I don't generally put a whole lot of stock in the UK governments SHARP rating system (http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/) for lids - too easy for cheaper manufacturers to game the test - they do rate modular helmets on the percentage of impacts where the chin remained fully locked. All the cheap modulars seem to open quite a lot, whereas the more expensive lids like the Shoei Neotec seem to have a greater than 90% rate - in fact I think the BMW helmets score 100%. The British motorcycle police all use modular helmets so they can't be that unsafe (Shoei iirc)

For myself, I considered a modular helmet earlier in the year because I wear glasses, but ended up going for a full-face and getting contact lenses, as it's always going to be safer. I think if you do a lot of touring a flip-up is pretty essential, though

For a second there I thought you were divorcing her. :p

Hah, though if I have to pay out for any more lessons...... Her bike is up to a whole £600 on eBay now

Just get what you like, if you are comfortable in it and it's well made and safe that's the priority. The last thing you want to be worried about on a motorcycle is fashion or what people think you look like. Get what you want and enjoy the bike.
Yea your right. I'm gonna go full power rangers.

Wear what you like, even when I had my Bonneville I'd wear full textile gear in the cold. If you want the "cruiser" look though, I tend to wear fully-lined kevlar jeans with armour on warmer days.. my leather jacket is a generic black so doesn't really look out of place on anything!

I'm still a little wary of them for this reason. While I don't generally put a whole lot of stock in the UK governments SHARP rating system (http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/) for lids - too easy for cheaper manufacturers to game the test - they do rate modular helmets on the percentage of impacts where the chin remained fully locked. All the cheap modulars seem to open quite a lot, whereas the more expensive lids like the Shoei Neotec seem to have a greater than 90% rate - in fact I think the BMW helmets score 100%. The British motorcycle police all use modular helmets so they can't be that unsafe (Shoei iirc)

For myself, I considered a modular helmet earlier in the year because I wear glasses, but ended up going for a full-face and getting contact lenses, as it's always going to be safer. I think if you do a lot of touring a flip-up is pretty essential, though

I'm not looking for any particular look. I'll just stick with what I like.

Thanks for that link. Some of those percentages are ridiculous. I wanted one because my commute is a hundred miles a day in mostly bad traffic and I wear glasses. I'll just get contacts and a full face like you.

Spent about seven hours on the bike today (in my one piece Spidi suit...actually wearing the exact same setup as in my avatar). I went really far west in the state and then dropped down a bit into West Virginia and rode this one reallllly nice section of road. Then I worked my way back over and hit more northern roads, met up with a friend, then kept on going and dropped down into Baltimore, then back. I am spent!

edit: Basically this is it...though Baltimore route would have more turns in it (don't remember where exactly I went to get out)...300 miles!

TCRS

Banned
Spent about seven hours on the bike today (in my one piece Spidi suit...actually wearing the exact same setup as in my avatar). I went really far west in the state and then dropped down a bit into West Virginia and rode this one reallllly nice section of road. Then I worked my way back over and hit more northern roads, met up with a friend, then kept on going and dropped down into Baltimore, then back. I am spent!

edit: Basically this is it...though Baltimore route would have more turns in it (don't remember where exactly I went to get out)...300 miles!

damn. post a pic of your ass.

More shit pics, can't wait till my iPhone 6 arrives

Didn't get to take the new Monster for a spin yet (Sunday is family day). Some early thoughts.

- love naked bikes but have to get used to the wind resistance. Riding position is a great compromise between a cruiser and a sportbike

- mirrors are useless, need to get either bar ends or something that moves em forward a bit. Damn things vibrate a lot at low speed cruising

- ride by wire took some time to adjust to, felt like a total noob stalling thus thing at a 4 way stop. Once it's rolling the ride was sublime

Going to do some more familiarizing on my way to work. Figure I can see the bike's character with normal street traffic. Never thought I would be on a Ducati :)

I went for a three hour ride yesterday and I have my neck muscles nice and stiff this morning. I have not been on a long ride in a few months and you really feel it when you not bike fit.

that ride you did looks awesome

Haha, 'bike fit'.

Though it's true I guess. I try to get some training in on my road bike, twice every week maybe for about an hour. Don't want to feel flabby and weak when you're on your motorcycle.

-

Congratulations monchi-kun. What was it that convinced you to get (or even try?) a Ducati in the end? Seems like you were pretty dead set on that ZX for a while there.
You did good though, I think this bike is likely a lot more fun to ride and better in a wider variety of occasions.
I wonder what it's like to ride compared to my air cooled 1100. Should try it sometime...

I was gonna go for the Street Triple and they had the 1200s right next to it. Sat on the saddle and it felt good so I took one for a test ride (1200 model). For the first 10 mins I didn't like the Monster to be honest but I pressed on. The ride by wire was the first thing I had to adjust to. Even in the urban mode the throttle felt so touchy. The thing I fell in love with was the engine. The twin feels nice and punchy compared to the inline 4 of the ZX. This bike didn't scare me as much as the ZX either (insurance ended up being cheaper as well). I took it on the freeway and it made me feel confident, power when I needed without making me sweat bullets. With the Triple, Thunderbird, and Monster side by side I chose the Duck ultimately for the shit eating grin it gave me 😄

Can't wait to get to know the lady a bit more as fall kicks in.

I was gonna go for the Street Triple and they had the 1200s right next to it. Sat on the saddle and it felt good so I took one for a test ride (1200 model). For the first 10 mins I didn't like the Monster to be honest but I pressed on. The ride by wire was the first thing I had to adjust to. Even in the urban mode the throttle felt so touchy. The thing I fell in love with was the engine. The twin feels nice and punchy compared to the inline 4 of the ZX. This bike didn't scare me as much as the ZX either (insurance ended up being cheaper as well). I took it on the freeway and it made me feel confident, power when I needed without making me sweat bullets. With the Triple, Thunderbird, and Monster side by side I chose the Duck ultimately for the shit eating grin it gave me 😄

Can't wait to get to know the lady a bit more as fall kicks in.

Yup, that sounds familiar.

More shit pics, can't wait till my iPhone 6 arrives

Didn't get to take the new Monster for a spin yet (Sunday is family day). Some early thoughts.

- love naked bikes but have to get used to the wind resistance. Riding position is a great compromise between a cruiser and a sportbike

- mirrors are useless, need to get either bar ends or something that moves em forward a bit. Damn things vibrate a lot at low speed cruising

- ride by wire took some time to adjust to, felt like a total noob stalling thus thing at a 4 way stop. Once it's rolling the ride was sublime

Going to do some more familiarizing on my way to work. Figure I can see the bike's character with normal street traffic. Never thought I would be on a Ducati :)

Nice bike man and it looks sweet in white. Enjoy

Haha, 'bike fit'.

Though it's true I guess. I try to get some training in on my road bike, twice every week maybe for about an hour. Don't want to feel flabby and weak when you're on your motorcycle.

-

Congratulations monchi-kun. What was it that convinced you to get (or even try?) a Ducati in the end? Seems like you were pretty dead set on that ZX for a while there.
You did good though, I think this bike is likely a lot more fun to ride and better in a wider variety of occasions.
I wonder what it's like to ride compared to my air cooled 1100. Should try it sometime...

Man its weird... if I dont ride long rides (3hours plus) for along time I am a bit stiff the next day. Maybe I am just old haha

Dougald

Sounds great... I need to get a last trip out before the weather turns, last year I rode to Birmingham in late October, cold doesn't begin to describe it

Wifes bike went for £620 in the end - not terrible considering the time of year. Unfortunately she managed to fail her final test last week (by talking herself into failing) so has to wait until next week before she gets her license and can ride again.

Sounds great... I need to get a last trip out before the weather turns, last year I rode to Birmingham in late October, cold doesn't begin to describe it

Wifes bike went for £620 in the end - not terrible considering the time of year. Unfortunately she managed to fail her final test last week (by talking herself into failing) so has to wait until next week before she gets her license and can ride again.

At least she got some nice riding experience out of the bike. oooh that is not nice... dont hope you hurt herself. But then again if you get the first drop out the way it can only go better.

I went up to the NEC bike show some years ago and I was sitting on a big old GS 1150 with heated grips and big screen and I was with a girl on a sport bike with leathers. Damn man she was almost frozen when we arrived. Not a nice day out on the bike

Dougald

At least she got some nice riding experience out of the bike. oooh that is not nice... dont hope you hurt herself. But then again if you get the first drop out the way it can only go better.

I went up to the NEC bike show some years ago and I was sitting on a big old GS 1150 with heated grips and big screen and I was with a girl on a sport bike with leathers. Damn man she was almost frozen when we arrived. Not a nice day out on the bike

She failed the road portion of the test, missed seeing a car when overtaking a parked bus and had to brake, so partly bad luck.. but I think she would have talked herself into failing anyway. Least she knows what to expect next time, it really is quite easy compared to everything else you have to do (which she passed first time!), so I don't see any problems next go, she knows what she needs to do now!

Hah this was the NEC classic car/bike show... well worth a visit especially if you like cars. But even with heated gloves/vest and handlebar muffs, I was frozen solid to the seat when I got back.. and this was on the Fazer which could at least pretend to have a fairing.

Duderz

Banned
I hope this does well for Ducati if only they'd bring back the Sport Classic.

Looks good. Waiting on specs. My girlfriend is in the market for a Triumph Scrambler so this may change her plans.

Top Bottom