• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

BillMurray

Neo Member
Beatiful condition GSXR you have there.. and looks bone stock too, which is great (except maybe the exhaust? Is that a stock one?)

Is that a British plate I spy?

Optimum number of bikes is N+1... but we all know that!

This thread is a sacred place where we enable each other to spend vast amounts of money with absolutely no judgement. I could post that I just sold my house and am sleeping rough next to the brand new Superleggera I bought with the proceeds and you'd all say what an awesome bike I got.

It sure is. I'm based in the north east of England. It's got some subtle mods. Can(Pipewerx I think?), filter, power commander, undertray, flush front indicators, pazzo short adjustable leavers, carbon front and rear huggers, tinted curved screen, gear indicator, braided lines... I think that's it. I was really lucky finding the year, shape, colours and all the mods I planned on putting on.

That's a nice bike, Bill. Welcome! How much does a deep clean like that run you?

True, we probably would. Plus, the heat coming off that bike would come in handy when you're sleeping outside.

It was about £50, done over 1 day. Price varies from bike to bike. Mine had 2 winters worth of grime in some areas, mainly areas I could never seem to reach. It's going to be a dry weather machine now. I'm switching to my bicycle for commuting now.

Nice GSXR... Those models are some of the only years that I find appealing.

I've been a fan of the K4/K5 shape for a long time now. I find the K6 upwards a bit overdesigned when it comes to the looks.

Dougald

I bet, it's been a few months since your last ride, right? So good to be back on it after an extended absence.

The Ducati hadn't been started since October! Fired up first time, on the button, no fuss. Unlike all my Triumphs after a cold winter.

I'll refrain from praising reliability for now as it's going to the garage on Wednesday

OraleeWey

The Ducati hadn't been started since October! Fired up first time, on the button, no fuss. Unlike all my Triumphs after a cold winter.

I'll refrain from praising reliability for now as it's going to the garage on Wednesday

Jeez, has the weather really been that bad?

Dougald

Well, I'm lucky enough to have access to two bikes, so as soon as the first salt went on the roads I just borrowed my wifes BMW R1150 every now and then. I hadn't ridden either since the middle of December though

OraleeWey

Well, I'm lucky enough to have access to two bikes, so as soon as the first salt went on the roads I just borrowed my wifes BMW R1150 every now and then. I hadn't ridden either since the middle of December though

N+1 huh?

Also, I like the look of this multistrada. Looks really good!

006_MTS_2017_Studio_Grey_H01_Gallery_1920x1080.mediagallery_output_image_[1920x1080].jpg

Kind of looks like bird dinosaur.

69F out...happy February/winter.

Thanks to a friend, I got to go for a ride on his RC51. First time back on a bike in 18 months! Feels great :)

edit: And I have to say I love the Corsair X...great helmet!

Dougald

N+1 huh?

Also, I like the look of this multistrada. Looks really good!

006_MTS_2017_Studio_Grey_H01_Gallery_1920x1080.mediagallery_output_image_[1920x1080].jpg

Kind of looks like bird dinosaur.

If I had to buy a new bike right now... the Multistrada would be it! I actually like the new 950 quite a lot, something with less tech to fail is somewhat appealing to me

Now, ask me on my view of Ducati again when I've had the Monster a couple more years and I'm looking for my next bike!

That Aprilia is an awesome bike just a pity we dont have more dealer out here in the UK that sell them and support them.

This is also a thing of beauty

yYgFn2U.png

We went from this:

to this over the weekend:

Was quite a lot of work because that meant putting the wiring loom back in the frame and finding room for the battery, fuse box, shock expansion chamber, ECU and a whole bunch of other wires in the small amount of place provided by the subframe undertray/batterytray:

And this Lightning setup has considerably less space than the Ulysses has. But the seat fits over it all, as you can see.

Oh yeah, and this is how far the rear wheel protrudes due to the short tail / long Ulysses swing arm combination:

Flo_Evans

So I just got my 600 mile service done. All is good. No issues.

Advice time. Should I get a center stand first or should I get some auxiliary lighting first? I can manage without em both but more lighting will let me see much better at night time riding and a center stand will let me do maintenance work easier.

The auxiliary lighting would look something like this

fI0H7mWl.jpg

Personally I don't like to ADV ride in the dark. (sometimes unavoidable) just be careful installing lights to not short your battery. Dead battery and no kicker in the middle of nowhere (in the dark) = no fun. Also don't go overkill and make sure your electrical system can handle the extra load...

Center stand is really useful. Its also extra weight and fucks up your ground clearance. I prefer to not have one and use rope/straps/stumps/whatever for emergency field repairs, get a lift for home maintenance.

/my $.02 :)

Watevaman

Damn, that centre dust seal looks pretty rough. Are you replacing them?

There are no seals in that picture, just the oxidation that was behind the seals. And yeah, I bought all new rubber to go in the calipers. They cleaned up well, but some of my pistons were a bit buggered. It's all together on the bike but I ran out of daylight so I'll have to bleed them hopefully another day this week and make sure nothing is leaking.. Can't wait to see how they perform, especially with the new SS brake lines I put on with the rebuilt calipers.

Nice, looks like a rewarding job, cleaning those up. Maybe we should try that with yours, Scotch. Or maybe just skip that and go to some R6 calipers directly.

Oh yeah, I was riding just now. God yeeeeeesss, so good. There was sunshine n everything.

Will throw a couple of buckets of water over the bike though, it tastes a bit salty because I had to leave early this morning when the roads were still wet.

Dougald

Nice, looks like you got the good weather we were enjoying yesterday. Man, they aren't kidding when they say the Netherlands is flat, huh? :)

There are no seals in that picture, just the oxidation that was behind the seals. And yeah, I bought all new rubber to go in the calipers. They cleaned up well, but some of my pistons were a bit buggered. It's all together on the bike but I ran out of daylight so I'll have to bleed them hopefully another day this week and make sure nothing is leaking.. Can't wait to see how they perform, especially with the new SS brake lines I put on with the rebuilt calipers.

Ah that would explain it! I looked on my phone and it looked like a disintegrated seal

Nice, looks like you got the good weather we were enjoying yesterday. Man, they aren't kidding when they say the Netherlands is flat, huh? :)

As a pancake. Well, until you hit Limburg, our southern most province, but there's very little about Limburg that actually feels Dutch.

OraleeWey

We went from this:

to this over the weekend:

Was quite a lot of work because that meant putting the wiring loom back in the frame and finding room for the battery, fuse box, shock expansion chamber, ECU and a whole bunch of other wires in the small amount of place provided by the subframe undertray/batterytray:

And this Lightning setup has considerably less space than the Ulysses has. But the seat fits over it all, as you can see.

Oh yeah, and this is how far the rear wheel protrudes due to the short tail / long Ulysses swing arm combination:
Amazing, I wish I could take a bike apart and put it back together.

Personally I don't like to ADV ride in the dark. (sometimes unavoidable) just be careful installing lights to not short your battery. Dead battery and no kicker in the middle of nowhere (in the dark) = no fun. Also don't go overkill and make sure your electrical system can handle the extra load...

Center stand is really useful. Its also extra weight and fucks up your ground clearance. I prefer to not have one and use rope/straps/stumps/whatever for emergency field repairs, get a lift for home maintenance.

/my $.02 :)
Well, just an update. Unfortunately the center stand was a little over my budget, So I compared prices and I had to go with the lights setup. It was cheaper and fit my budget. If the center stand's price was more reasonable (it was close to $200), I would have gone with it first. So I bought the mounting bracket, 2 LED lights with 60 degree angle, and the wiring with a switch - dual output and a relay. The wiring was recommended on the website and it was what everyone else was using, so that's what I got. I have to admit though, I have no idea what I'm doing. The electrical parts of my motorcycle is what I know the least of. BTW, the lights are 900 lumens and total 20 watts both.

Nice, looks like a rewarding job, cleaning those up. Maybe we should try that with yours, Scotch. Or maybe just skip that and go to some R6 calipers directly.

Oh yeah, I was riding just now. God yeeeeeesss, so good. There was sunshine n everything.

Will throw a couple of buckets of water over the bike though, it tastes a bit salty because I had to leave early this morning when the roads were still wet.

Dammit, how the hell do you take such amazing pictures??

That Aprilia is an awesome bike just a pity we dont have more dealer out here in the UK that sell them and support them.

This is also a thing of beauty

yYgFn2U.png

Mmmmmm so sexy. There was a while where I swore that my next bike would be an MV F3 800, but then you hear about the fuel mapping issues....and the lack of dealer support....it becomes a much more difficult idea to follow through with.

Dougald

Cold today. Ducati did not design the engine of my bike to handle Reading traffic, that's for sure.

I had a quick nose at the Monster 1200R in the dealership. That is one well-endowed bike (though I'm not sure I think it's worth the extra money unless you really, really like trackdays)

Dougald

Anything under ~15mph on the 1200 is very lumpy unless you feather the clutch, even in "Urban" mode. It won't actually stall, but "smooth" is not a word I'd use to describe the experience

When there's a nice stretch of road though... A winter of driving a car with less brake horsepower makes me forget how nice having a bike is.

Yeah, it just seems like an insane amount of fun after you've been out of it for a while.

Amazing, I wish I could take a bike apart and put it back together.

I should emphasize this every once in a while: while I have a rough understanding of where everything is and what it does (and I can do some things with the help of a manual), projects like these really are possibly only thanks to the man in the picture there (my dad). Haha. So don't feel too bad about limited skills, I'm right there with you.

Well, just an update. Unfortunately the center stand was a little over my budget, So I compared prices and I had to go with the lights setup. It was cheaper and fit my budget. If the center stand's price was more reasonable (it was close to $200), I would have gone with it first. So I bought the mounting bracket, 2 LED lights with 60 degree angle, and the wiring with a switch - dual output and a relay. The wiring was recommended on the website and it was what everyone else was using, so that's what I got. I have to admit though, I have no idea what I'm doing. The electrical parts of my motorcycle is what I know the least of. BTW, the lights are 900 lumens and total 20 watts both.

Sounds like a project :D

Dammit, how the hell do you take such amazing pictures??

Haha, thanks, you must be my biggest fan. Was lucky with this one I guess. Just took the glove off, snapped a couple of pictures and this one came out pretty alright with me in the mirror there.

That is so true... Sitting in the traffic is not fun and some mornings I just dont want to filter as I am not fully awake. But its so nice to be able to ride a bike.

I wanted to fit my GS hand guards to the Scrambler but the handlebars are thicker on the scrambler than on the GS. So no luck there. The hand guards make such a big difference to the performance of the heated grips.

nico1982

I had a quick nose at the Monster 1200R in the dealership. That is one well-endowed bike (though I'm not sure I think it's worth the extra money unless you really, really like trackdays)
Especially considering that the 2017 revision of the S closes the gap quite a bit with the R.

Dougald

Ah garage speak, where 'it'll be ready in 3 hours' really means all day

Not that I'm complaining as I didn't expect anything else!

Ehm, abload.de usually works really well for me. It's a German site, but it's easy enough to figure out:

Bilder von der Festplatte hinzufügen

This one is upload images from a local source.

Bilder aus dem Internet hinzufügen

And that one means rehosting it from a url.

You then get a number of different links. Just pick the one that says:

Direktlink

and put it beween

Dougald

I like the compression, it hides what a crap photographer I am (but yes, you're right, for a 1098 abload is probably the way to go)

Off to pick up the Ducati, taking bets on the damage to my wallet...

Top Bottom