• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

Thankfully my girl had an excellent time riding pillion on the bike last year so there's bound to be more of that in the upcoming season.

In other good news: I managed to sell the exhaust that I took off the M2 Cyclone to its next owner. Which is another 300 euro back in my pocket.

Oh yeah, and a quick project update:

Getting there. I figure one more day should do the trick. As you can see though, the current bars are a bit high, that's because it's originally off an M2 Cyclone. We used that because it looked better than the godawful LSL bars we took off the Ulysses (with those ridiculous looking risers). However, I managed to find the bars from an original XB Lightning so we'll probably put that on before we continue with the rest. Uh which, if I'm not forgetting anything should be this roughly:

- Finish nose section
- Fit indicators front and rear
- Fit license plate holder and license plate
- Install bracket that supports headlights
- Paint new short rear mudguard
- Install short rear mudguard (instead of the Uly thing that's on now)
- Install pulley cover
- Install airbox, airfilter and airboxcover
- Install exhaust and chin fairing
- Heat up and replace primary and engine oil + filter

Hmm, yeah so maybe it's more than a day's work still.

Looking good. Is that a Ulysses headlight?

img_1339tekdh.jpg

Oh no guys, I accidentally ordered a package to an Amazon Locker instead of my home. I was forced to have an excuse to go collect it

Also my trip counter must be faulty because mysteriously the 2 mile ride back home showed up as 15 miles.

You know its a clean garage if you can work with a salmon shirt and not get it dirty.

Great progress on that build. Looking really great.

Haha.

Oh no guys, I accidentally ordered a package to an Amazon Locker instead of my home. I was forced to have an excuse to go collect it

Also my trip counter must be faulty because mysteriously the 2 mile ride back home showed up as 15 miles.

Took the long way home, nice.

Yes, Uly headlights, though those should be the same as those on the Lightning (after you remove the grill).

Anyone know of any good forums or specific eBay sellers they trust to buy gear from?

I'm shopping around, and I haven't bought anything for about 2 years. Been checking 600rr.net where I'm a member, but it's pretty barren anymore.

Or does everyone just pay retail from like Revzilla?

OraleeWey

Anyone know of any good forums or specific eBay sellers they trust to buy gear from?

I'm shopping around, and I haven't bought anything for about 2 years. Been checking 600rr.net where I'm a member, but it's pretty barren anymore.

Or does everyone just pay retail from like Revzilla?

I prefer to buy my stuff new. This is just my personal preference though so it fits with my advice.

Check local motorcycle dealers like Coleman Powersports (if it's available in your area), or CycleGear(.com). CycleGear usually has many sales. I managed to get a really good deal on my gear through CycleGear. Anyway, test out what you want and what fits, then come home and Google search for the best prices. If PayPal is a payment option, I'd use that and consider the merchant safe to purchase from.

Helmet I'd buy new. Jacket/pants you could find 2nd hand though.

Yeah I always buy my helmets, and most of my gear new. I did find my last set of Alpinestars SMX Plus boots (2010) brand new from an eBay auction for alot cheaper than retail and they were perfect.

Just checking since I've been out of the loop for 2 years : /

Test rode the Triumph Bobber yesterday. Very impressive! The engine and handling is so good. Really likes being pushed hard. The engine felt better than my Thruxton probably cause the power is lower in the rev range so you're in the sweet spot more often.

The only let down were the brakes - very wooden and lacking feel and power. I'm used to Brembos on my BMW and Thruxton but to my mind a £10k+ bike in 2017 has no excuse to have such poor brakes. They'll stop you but would not want to have to rely on stopping quickly. Which is a shame cause the bike likes to go!

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they swapped those out for next year, at least to the T120 dual discs.

^Hey, there's that flyscreen again.

It sure does. Amazing given the euro 4 rules. They've got a cracking engine with that 1200 twin. it's got such a nice rumble and character to it.

Nice, were you considering that Bobber as a replacement for the Sportster? (You also had a Sportster, right?) Or was is just out of general interest?

Some Monday morning eye candy

CUfN2E2.jpg
Lovely. I always get jealous when I see people riding RNineT. (less so when I'm on my Thruxton)

I was revisiting the idea of the Bobber this morning. I really don't see what makes that a £10,500 bike compared to say the new Street Triple RS which has top spec brembos, showa, ohlins, electronics etc. I know it's a different class of bike but still.

^Hey, there's that flyscreen again.

Nice, were you considering that Bobber as a replacement for the Sportster? (You also had a Sportster, right?) Or was is just out of general interest?
Yeah replacement for the Iron 883. After 10 minutes riding my wife was like "let's get two of these!"

It's a lot of fun. I think I've got some GoPro footage so will see if I can post some.

Those new Street Triple's looks really nicely specced and did get some really good reviews. I have the same problem when buying a bike. I buy to what I am going to use it for .
Long rides - will look at protection from the elements
Short rides - that is why I bought the scrambler or any naked bike.
Touring - the big comfy beasts.

But then as Doug said.. that MT10 you can trick out to do most of the rides and still looks insane. Or a S1000r with a touring screen. Then if you looking at sunday rides to the pub the bobber is going to look so much better. hehe

Great looking machine

LX287fI.png

Dougald

Spun up the BMW earlier for the first time in 2017 for some errands. It may be 15 years old and 45,000 miles down, but it still shook to life first press of the button

That GS badge does count for allot. Its a proper tank and you can jump on it today and ride to Neuschwanstein have a nice ski weekend and ride all the way back without having to worry about allot of things.

Dougald

Well, it's an R, but its that boxer engine 'wot does it. Bulletproof

It's pretty rattley on a cold start though. Due a little tune-up at Bahnstormer I think, I did balance the throttle bodies last year but I don't think I did as good a job as they will. I do think its a characteristic of those engines that the longer you run the bike for, the quieter they get. It's certainly a more refined riding experience than the "look at me look at me look!" of the Ducati Testastretta.

img_1339tekdh.jpg

Really loving the new style Monsters...gorgeous bike. If I had to nit pick I just wish they could hide the radiator as well as Triumph has on the Bonneville and Thruxton, but again, thats just a nit picking.

Dougald

Really loving the new style Monsters...gorgeous bike. If I had to nit pick I just wish they could hide the radiator as well as Triumph has on the Bonneville and Thruxton, but again, thats just a nit picking.

Thats why I really like the new 797... I love my 1200 but there's nothing like the traditional shape of the air-cooled bike. That's what makes it a 'real' monster IMO

Thats why I really like the new 797... I love my 1200 but there's nothing like the traditional shape of the air-cooled bike. That's what makes it a 'real' monster IMO

True,

it is nice that they are at least giving you the option of going back to the ol' air cooled engine, but that 1200 is sexy!

OraleeWey

I haven't been riding for the last 3 weeks. I've been feeling bad/sick. But I've got some news though :)

Once it's said and done I'll show you guys.

Hah, pretty much yeah. Not as many corners here sadly, but I do my best to seek out what little there is :p.

What part of the world are you in? I think you're American but you travel don't you? I see the American flag on your orange bike. Nice little touch.

Yeah, I can see why you'd think that, considering my love for the American bike and all that :). I'm actually from the Netherlands though.

Dougald

You should come to England and visit our twisty roads... of course most of them are narrow with 3m tall hedges on one side and brick walls on the other. Oh, and gravel in every corner

Must be spring, Mrs Dougald has left the car at home and taken the BMW to work

Must be spring, Mrs Dougald has left the car at home and taken the BMW to work

Was a lovely day for riding! I had two offsite meetings so managed a 123 mile round trip.

Only one near death experience when Mr Taxi Driver decided to change lanes on the M25 without looking or indicating - I don't think his passengers appreciated my language when I told him what I thought of him or his driving.

Shame the GoPro card had filled up!

Watevaman

Finished bleeding the brakes, changed the oil and filter, checked chain tension, lubed the chain, and checked my tire pressures and took Donatello out for the first ride of 2017:

zrx_sunset_by_watevaman-db1r4nl.jpg

Felt so damn good to be back. First ride since November.

OraleeWey

Yeah, I can see why you'd think that, considering my love for the American bike and all that :). I'm actually from the Netherlands though.
Ooh, I thought you were American. The US flag is even on your avatar!

Was a lovely day for riding! I had two offsite meetings so managed a 123 mile round trip.

Only one near death experience when Mr Taxi Driver decided to change lanes on the M25 without looking or indicating - I don't think his passengers appreciated my language when I told him what I thought of him or his driving.

Shame the GoPro card had filled up!

We have to be careful out there :(
That's why I try to ride only when traffic is minimal and I try to avoid highways. I would rather take longer to get to my destination.

Anyway, my bike got some cool new stuff!

That cylindrical looking thing is a 12v power source. I will finally be able to charge my battery (phone for GPS) when I'm riding long trips. It's also connected to a battery tender cable so I can easily disconnect the cigarette lighter power source and charge my battery using a battery tender without having to remove any plastics. The red button you see is an emergency eject button! Just kidding, it's actually for my new aux lighting. It's connected directly to the battery so the bike doesn't have to be on for them to be switched on. Here's hoping no one ever figures that out.

Next up are these Tusk D-Flex handguards. They'll protect the levers if the bike ever goes down.

I also got myself some crash bars. The cost of the crash bars = less than the cost of a new radiator. So it is a good investment that will be beneficial if the bike ever goes down. Only issue I have with them is that at around 2300-2700 RPM, they have noticeable vibration. It's weird. I read the reviews and the vibration was to be expected but I was kinda hoping I wouldn't be affected. I also upgraded the frame and subframe bolts. The stock ones are prone to breaking if you have a lot of weight on the bike.

And finally the Tusk Panniers. Very bulletproof boxes! Will let me carry many things and it will let me lock my stuff safely. I might get rid of my soft top case, just so I can swing my leg over the bike like normal. I also figured that the panniers might prevent the bike from pinning my leg. They might just give me room to get my leg out if I ever fall with it.

Anyway, next up is a better skid plate and a center stand. I know I should have gotten a center stand first before anything but what I wanted was sold out and other options were not better than the one I want. The one I want does lift the rear tire and it can even be adjusted.

The downside to everything that was just installed is all the extra weight. I'm not exactly sure how much extra weight I added but it is noticeable. My rear shock hasn't bottomed out though, so that's good. Also, sometimes the panniers get in the way :p

Anyway, I thought that owning a motorcycle was supposed to be cheaper than owning a car, which isn't the case :( None of the above has made any financial sense at all!

The reason I did the above is because I've never gone out of my comfort zone and I want to take a little 2 or 3 day trip. Something like this

300 miles might not seem much but the highlight of the trip is Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park. A beautiful road where there's lots to see and stretches for about 105 miles right through a mountain. I'll be ascending elevation, from South to North. It's the green area on the West side of the google maps image.There is simply lots to see. You can come back for months and see something new every time.

Dougald

Looking great. I like the black box-panniers, they go great with the bike

I also won't admonish you for leaving the centre stand for now, because I think every ADV bike should have those auxiliary lights!

Edit: that's going to be quite a ride too. For reference, here's how far I could get in that sort of seat time... Europe is small

Finished bleeding the brakes, changed the oil and filter, checked chain tension, lubed the chain, and checked my tire pressures and took Donatello out for the first ride of 2017:

She's looking lovely, great shot

Nice to see two green Kawasakis in a row, you both picked the right colour for sure

Watevaman

Thanks! I think I would have an issue with owning a Kawasaki that didn't at least have some green on it haha. I remember having a poster as a kid (so...early 90s) with a green Ninja on it. Guy had sparks coming from his knee and I thought it was insane.

The reason I did the above is because I've never gone out of my comfort zone and I want to take a little 2 or 3 day trip. Something like this

300 miles might not seem much but the highlight of the trip is Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park. A beautiful road where there's lots to see and stretches for about 105 miles right through a mountain. I'll be ascending elevation, from South to North. It's the green area on the West side of the google maps image.There is simply lots to see. You can come back for months and see something new every time.

29/15 is a nice route. Of course, you're not gonna get twisty going that way, but it's a nice scenic route through a lot of farmland and such.

I recommend taking a little break once you hit the intersection of Skyline Drive and Route 211 to do a few passes over the mountain. Here's a run I did a while back of it to get an idea of the curves it provides. It's a fun road, just watch for cops ;).

Very nice shot of a very nice bike. Awesome colour scheme

Stevey

Went out on the Firebolt the other week just to make sure everything was OK with rebuilt front brake.
God, I've missed riding.

Dougald

Actually been to the office today

Working from home makes me forget the quality of the average weekday driver. Why someone thinks its a good idea to tailgate a motorcycle I have no idea, thank god for the ability to get out of the way immediately

OraleeWey

Looking great. I like the black box-panniers, they go great with the bike

I also won't admonish you for leaving the centre stand for now, because I think every ADV bike should have those auxiliary lights!

Edit: that's going to be quite a ride too. For reference, here's how far I could get in that sort of seat time... Europe is small

She's looking lovely, great shot

Nice to see two green Kawasakis in a row, you both picked the right colour for sure
I just compared the UK to USA. Never would have thought for it to be so small. It's not bigger than 3 US states!

Thanks! I think I would have an issue with owning a Kawasaki that didn't at least have some green on it haha. I remember having a poster as a kid (so...early 90s) with a green Ninja on it. Guy had sparks coming from his knee and I thought it was insane.

29/15 is a nice route. Of course, you're not gonna get twisty going that way, but it's a nice scenic route through a lot of farmland and such.

I recommend taking a little break once you hit the intersection of Skyline Drive and Route 211 to do a few passes over the mountain. Here's a run I did a while back of it to get an idea of the curves it provides. It's a fun road, just watch for cops ;).

Nice run, thanks for sharing! West of Virginia can be beautiful.

Actually been to the office today

Working from home makes me forget the quality of the average weekday driver. Why someone thinks its a good idea to tailgate a motorcycle I have no idea, thank god for the ability to get out of the way immediately

There it is, that amazing Ducati! You don't live/work near London do you? I have heard that bike theft has gotten out of control in that area. I would hate to see such a beautiful bike get stolen.

Dougald

There it is, that amazing Ducati! You don't live/work near London do you? I have heard that bike theft has gotten out of control in that area. I would hate to see such a beautiful bike get stolen.

I'm about 40 minutes outside the city. I wouldn't dare take the Ducati in on the occasion I have to visit though, even to works "secure" car park. Bike theft is indeed out of control in London. Frankly I'm not wild about parking round here either, but you can't live your whole life worrying..

Only time I'd leave the Ducati alone in London is on my occasional Ace Cafe breakfast visits, and there are always bikers out front there.

Can't wait to get another bike (sold mine because we moved across the continent). I'm moving to California in 2-3 months and hope to get a bike not toooo long after.

OraleeWey

I'm about 40 minutes outside the city. I wouldn't dare take the Ducati in on the occasion I have to visit though, even to works "secure" car park. Bike theft is indeed out of control in London. Frankly I'm not wild about parking round here either, but you can't live your whole life worrying..

Only time I'd leave the Ducati alone in London is on my occasional Ace Cafe breakfast visits, and there are always bikers out front there.
Yeah, I saw it was crazy. I was watching some YouTube videos on the issue. They do it in broad daylight even. What I find the most disturbing thing is that no one helps out. The robbers usually get away. If that was USA, that probably wouldn't fly. The robbers might get beat up!

Can't wait to get another bike (sold mine because we moved across the continent). I'm moving to California in 2-3 months and hope to get a bike not toooo long after.

What bike are you thinking about getting?

Dougald

Yeah, I saw it was crazy. I was watching some YouTube videos on the issue. They do it in broad daylight even. What I find the most disturbing thing is that no one helps out. The robbers usually get away. If that was USA, that probably wouldn't fly. The robbers might get beat up!

That's definitely a cultural difference. People tend to keep to themselves here

Problem is also the kids know they will get away with it. Most police aren't able to chase them, and even if they do the robbers will just ditch their helmets which forces them to give up in case the poor bastards get hurt. Anyone who does get caught gets a slap on the wrist and is right back out on the rob again... It's an issue that needs a whole look at top to bottom. The London biker community is really starting to make some noise to the mayor about it.

What bike are you thinking about getting?

Not sure yet. My first bike was a Ninja 250, which I absolutely loved. Next was a modern SV650, which I also enjoyed a lot. I never got as confident on the SV as I did on the Ninja.

I'm interested in adventure style bikes like the CB500X, but I have a bulging disc in my lower back so I'm not sure if the seating position would work for me--for whatever reason, the sporty position of the Ninja especially was perfect for my back.

So I might jump on a Honda (500X, 500R, maybe even 300R because it's tiny), or maybe go a different direction and get something like a Street Triple.

Hard to say. :p

Top Bottom