• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Stevey

Yeah my Draggin jeans have removable knee armor.
Aside from that I dont see how anyone can be comfortable riding without a back protector.
Your spine is so fragile.

Dougald

I have a full back protector but to be honest I rarely use it as it takes up so much space. All my jackets have those foam inserts though, for whatever good they do. Usually I wear Dainese leather trousers and one of my leather jackets, or Hood kevlar jeans + armour with a leather jacket. If it rains I have cordura waterproof gear, that also has huge removable mesh panels for summer riding

I think that mesh gear you can get with armour and cordura on impact zones only is a good compromise for hotter climates. Never really gets warm enough in this country for that though

The closest I come to squidding it is wearing my super short CE motorbike boots, kevlar jeans with no armour, leather jacket and short gloves instead of gauntlets.

Man, I'm jealous. My gf and I wanted to go to Japan this year, but we are now planning to buy a house (yes, with a proper garage) and it might be wiser to not go on super expensive trips for a while.

How long were you there for?

Just returned, we were in the city for a week, which really I think is the minimum time you can spend there. I think any European used to public transport can manage to get about easily enough (google maps has all the train/subway schedules anyway), you should go for it next year for sure. Your situation is actually the same as mine two years ago, as we were going to take this trip in 2015 when we ended up buying our place instead.

Let me know if you end up doing this. As a NZ native I might be able to give you some tips.

I'm heading back there in about 2 weeks and going to actually start working on my old 250 this time.

I certainly will! How is the riding there? I have wanted to go out for a couple of years now as it seems 1-2 weeks riding around the country would be good fun.

I hear you all loud and clear, but to be fair I'm not out there squiding it up. I ride what basically amounts to a scooter - even after many years of riding much faster bikes. I have to wonder, would you Guys throw on all this stuff to ride a Vespa to the market? What do you all do with your spine protector, leather pants, gloves, jacket, etc when you go somewhere like a movie or the store? You just carry all that shit with you?

Dougald

For a scoot I'd just wear some lightweight Kevlar jeans and a leather or mesh jacket. You can walk about in those easily enough and stuff your gloves in your helmet

But eh, I'm in England. In the south of France people just wear shorts on their scooters. When your climate is hot, it's almost better to wear less gear and avoid heatstroke

I once wore full gear in a 40C heatwave. Never again.

Was finally nice enough to pull it out of the garage.. Haven't ridden yet, waiting on my pants, jacket, and new tires. The Dunlops on there now are still the stock ones; only 1700 miles on the bike, but I'd rather put new tires on. 2009 CBR600RR ABS, all stock except for OEM Seat Cowl, ASV short levers, Honda CF Trim kit. I'll keep it mostly stock, maybe add some sliders and spools.

NZOFraK.jpg

And found a 9 year old picture of my 08 in track plastics from my first track weekend ever : D

iheH4wa.jpg

What's everyone using for oil and chain cleaner? Simple green was junk when I tried it, and hated working with kerosene. Maxima's chain cleaner any good?

Each to their own, but I've seen road rash from bike crashes...even at 30mph a road will tear your jeans & skin to shreds. My dad used to be a motorcycle cop and shared some horror stories (probably trying to scare me off bikes).

Yup all it takes is your first accident to turn you into an atgatt zombie. I got road rash and a broken tibula (thank god it wasn't a weight bearing bone) when I crashed going 15 mph on a bike. At least get some shoes that protect your ankles and a jacket and pants that can outlast a skid on the tarmac. Road rash sucks even if it is minor.

I feel a lot more confident and secure when I got my MC pants with protectors on.

And found a 9 year old picture of my 08 in track plastics from my first track weekend ever : D

Awesome photo. The track kit on the bike looks awesome.

I hear you all loud and clear, but to be fair I'm not out there squiding it up. I ride what basically amounts to a scooter - even after many years of riding much faster bikes.

Well, the tarmac doesn't really care what you're riding. And I'm assuming it's a scooter in the motorcycle category, does 60mph, right?

I have to wonder, would you Guys throw on all this stuff to ride a Vespa to the market?

Anything under 10 kilometers, I take my bicycle actually. (And I don't own a Vespa). If I do go on a relatively short trip, to my parents for instance, a 10km ride often becomes a 25 to 30km ride and I wear my kevlar pants, leather jacket, gloves and helmet always.

What do you all do with your spine protector, leather pants, gloves, jacket, etc when you go somewhere like a movie or the store? You just carry all that shit with you?

Leather pants I hardly ever wear because I own those kevlar jeans. As for the rest, yes I take that with me. Spine protector stays under the jacket, gloves go in the helmet. If it's warm I hang the jacket and the protector over a seat somewhere. It's a minor annoyance, but I don't feel save riding without that stuff. (I never feel save actually, but the joy it gives me still outweighs the anxiety).

To be clear though, not telling you what to do. This is just how I try to mitigate some of the dangers.

Was finally nice enough to pull it out of the garage.. Haven't ridden yet, waiting on my pants, jacket, and new tires. The Dunlops on there now are still the stock ones; only 1700 miles on the bike, but I'd rather put new tires on.

Yeah you should. My XB12Scg also still had the original front tire on it (tire was produced in '08, though not even worn out completely). Had it replaced this weekend. Totally transformed the bike.

Just returned, we were in the city for a week, which really I think is the minimum time you can spend there. I think any European used to public transport can manage to get about easily enough (google maps has all the train/subway schedules anyway), you should go for it next year for sure. Your situation is actually the same as mine two years ago, as we were going to take this trip in 2015 when we ended up buying our place instead.

Ah nice, yeah we'll probably end up going in a year or two. Totally still want to see it.

The new updated R800GS is not a bad looking bike. I know its not the most powerful of the 800s out there but it does look like it will take you anywhere without much trouble.

YLlnUtR.jpg

Some of the Kevlar/aramid jeans do have armour. Like the Knox ones. Even my Rev'it jeans have removable armour in the knees and hips. The new Knox ones you can remove the armour from the outside (so you don't have to take the jeans off to remove it which is much more convenient)

Oh nice. CE-rated, too. So, there you go. If you don't want armored perforated leather pants, you can get armored, abrasion-resistant jeans from Knox :)

Anyone on here got a Triumph Scrambler? I'm thinking of ditching the cruiser, I want something to hit the fire trails and back-roads in the mountains where I live. Not interested in full off road just something that puts my feet under me, is lightish and I can put some AT tyres on, but also will be nice to ride on-road.

Choices are either get another cruiser (Maybe Triumph Rocket 3) and then buy a cheap old off road bike or just go the dual purpose route, maybe an adventure tourer but not keen on the looks. If a scrambler could handle it that would be the perfect situation, just not sure if it would!

Dougald

I had a Bonneville, and really the (old) scrambler was just the same bike with a different exhaust and some fork guards. It's more off-road for show I think. Not too sure about the new one but I assume it's the same

I believe the Ducati Scrambler desert sled is supposed to be fairly capable off-road... but the Triumph and BMW scramblers are more for looks

sfedai0

Banned
Whats everyone thoughts on the new Honda Rebels? I am seriously considering getting the 500. Looks incredibly sexy and can only imagine how good the aftermarket is gona be on this bike.

Whats everyone thoughts on the new Honda Rebels? I am seriously considering getting the 500. Looks incredibly sexy and can only imagine how good the aftermarket is gona be on this bike.

The new 500 is a really nice looking bike, trying to get into the Vulcan S, HD Street 500 market. Think it's probably nicer looking than both.

I respect the BMW for how amazing it is as a bike....but I cannot say its a pretty machine.

That exhaust is just flat out ugly and the lack of symmetry really bothers me.

Its not italia and its very clinical. As you say its a great bike but the looks is not for everyone. Have not test rode one but the guys I have spoke to say its amazing.

Gritesh

So I'm having a real hard time sorting a few issues out with gear.

I currently ride a Superduke 1290r, I bought the AGV AX-8 EVO last summer and immediately hated it, spent 600 bucks on it and visor and cant stand the wind noise, and the helmet pulls my neck back pretty much all the time.

I'm looking to get a different full face and tried on the HJC RPHA 11 Pro and loved it, but I hear its noisy.
Tried the Shoei GT-Air and liked it...sorta, the internal visor didn't seem to lower down enough for me and caused a weird blur for my vision.

I don't know what to get...but man I hate that AGV and need to get something else.

Also,

I've been looking at a more relaxed "commuter" style jacket than my full on leather race like jacket.

Does anyone have any experience with the Icon Raiden UX jacket, really like the orange and black one but none of my local dealers have it.

I currently ride a Superduke 1290r, I bought the AGV AX-8 EVO last summer and immediately hated it, spent 600 bucks on it and visor and cant stand the wind noise, and the helmet pulls my neck back pretty much all the time.

I recently got a new helmet, a Shoei X-Spirit III. It's incredible. Even in gale force winds on the highway my head hardly moves, also hardly need to work to keep my head in position (very little straining on my neck). It's great. I still wear ear plugs though, don't think there's a helmet yet that you can wear without plugs.

Does anyone have any experience with the Icon Raiden UX jacket, really like the orange and black one but none of my local dealers have it.

Yeah, difficult. Icon is hard to get here in the Netherlands. Bought some of their gloves once, wasn't that happy with them. Expensive as all hell and (they were red) not half as red or as well finished looking as the ones they advertised.

Rev'It has some good, casual looking stuff, though they're never that clear about how well suited it actually is in terms of protection. Like it'll come with some protectors near the elbows, but no mention of anything anti-abrasive.

Dougald

I've never been satisfied with wind noise in helmets, I always just wear earplugs

My Shoei GT Air was very good to be fair, but I removed the ear padding to install bluetooth, so it's just as bad as every other helmet now

Weather tomorrow look excellent, I'm back at home, and I'm biking out in the morning to a greasy spoon for breakfast. I missed the riding season!

Stevey

Weather tomorrow look excellent, I'm back at home, and I'm biking out in the morning to a greasy spoon for breakfast. I missed the riding season!

Yeah this weekend looks nice, I should have gone out today really, but was busy with other junk.

Gritesh

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm going to have to wait a bit to choose a helmet, I live in Canada and my local dealers deal with snowmobiles and stuff all winter, they don't get bike gear stock in for the summer until like late May.

Sad they don't let you road test a helmet to decide if you want to buy it, I've been riding long enough to understand that wind noise is always going to be a problem, but if I can relieve neck strain and reduce the wind noise at all, I would be happy.

Dougald

Beautiful day. I may moan about this country a lot, but it sure is nice to have so many bike cafes around when the weather is nice

img_1663x4kkc.jpg

img_1665yvpzm.jpg

That makes me so jealous.

I hate where I live. It's a big area for Pagan's MC - they have a house about 300 yards away, and it's all cruisers. If I go towards the city, it's all squids wearing shorts and t-shirts on their GSXRs with chrome wheels.

Dougald

The one thing I like about the bike culture in Britain is that pretty much anyone can go to one of these cafes and have a chat/nose at other bikes. You get everything from fully custom Harley's, to Sportsbikes and even the occasional ageing mod on a Vespa

The only guys who tend to distance themselves are the middle aged born again bikers putting 100 miles a year on their stock Harley Davidsons

The only guys who tend to distance themselves are the middle aged born again bikers putting 100 miles a year on their stock Harley Davidsons

Yeah, those guys hardly ever wave. Little do they know what my tiny Buells are packing.

Shot some pics. These two were from last weekend. My new XB12Scg at the shop for its oil change, new exhaust (2nd pic) and mapping (difference is incredible):

And this one from today. Was out riding and encountered another Buell when we stopped for lunch! Talked to the owner. Always nice to meet a fellow enthusiast.

I had two motorcycle encounters today while tooling around on the DRZ doing some Land Trust work. 1) A guy at the hardware store chatting me up for ten minutes talking about his motorcycle history, some Baja documentaries, other fun stuff, including realizing he drives by the DRZ parked outside my work regularly. Nice guy. 2) Guy with no helmet or gear winding up his GSX-R to 10k rpms up and down the road I live on, didn't wave even though I was standing there next to my DRZ in full gear putting some signs up on the property I steward.

Got the SV650 out yesterday too, started up without issues, so now all the bikes are out of winter storage. Tire inflation checked, chain slack checked. Soon it will be nice enough to give them all a wash and additional once over. I detailed the interior of the WRX yesterday, so much salt and grit to get out of the foot wells and mats, but now it's all beautiful... so beautiful...

Makki

It took a 2 and a half hour drive each way, but Grom ownership had been calling me since it came out and I finally found a good deal on one:

Now, to hold myself back from buying all sorts of upgrades although it came with an intake and full exhaust. I got a tail tidy on the way!

Dougald

A Grom! Good man. I'm sure you'll end up customising it anyway, the temptation would be too great for me

I saw a repsol one at the caf yesterday with a full exhaust. Looked awesome. I'd still love to get a red one as a miniature companion for my Monster.

Looks excellent Makki, congrats on the purchase. What's it like to ride?

Got the SV650 out yesterday too, started up without issues, so now all the bikes are out of winter storage. Tire inflation checked, chain slack checked. Soon it will be nice enough to give them all a wash and additional once over. I detailed the interior of the WRX yesterday, so much salt and grit to get out of the foot wells and mats, but now it's all beautiful... so beautiful...

Haha, feels good no? Recently took the time to actually clay my entire car. Results were very nice.

Dougald

Here some of us are driving a Dacia Sandero to free up cash for the bike addiction and Fallout has a Porsche... very nice!

Pity you aren't after another Buell, I heard a lot of British used bikes are getting snapped up by Eurozone countries due to the exchange rate right now

Top Bottom