• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

I usually carry my work Ultrabook or my 13" MacBook pro, but I just tried my old hulking, heavy 15" HP Pavilion G6 and it just fits in the laptop sleeve. Still tons of room inside for other things too.

Kriega do make some larger sized bags too, they may be even more accommodating. The R30 claims to fit up to a 17" laptop. Of course they're more expensive..

Finally got back to riding after an 7 year hiatus. I killed my previous bike after I bored-up the engine to 88cc but didn't install an oil cooler. The High revs basically cooked the engine.

I decided to rebuild a new bike during my spring break, this time adding an oil cooler. I bored-up the engine to 88cc again and fitted a Takegawa oil cooler, added a digital speed, oil temperature gage, fitted a Yoshimura exhaust, Takegawa blacked out turn signals and head lamp. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with what I achieved.
Just though I'd share it with you guys. Ride safe. <3
pDrwg2n.jpg

Makki

Finally got back to riding after an 7 year hiatus. I killed my previous bike after I bored-up the engine to 88cc but didn't install an oil cooler. The High revs basically cooked the engine.

I decided to rebuild a new bike during my spring break, this time adding an oil cooler. I bored-up the engine to 88cc again and fitted a Takegawa oil cooler, added a digital speed, oil temperature gage, fitted a Yoshimura exhaust, Takegawa blacked out turn signals and head lamp. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with what I achieved.
Just though I'd share it with you guys. Ride safe. <3
pDrwg2n.jpg

That looks amazing!, paint those forks gold and it would be a gem! Whats your top speed on it?

That looks amazing!, paint those forks gold and it would be a gem! Whats your top speed on it?

I was thinking of replacing the forks with Honda NSR-125 forks, so I can install disc brakes on the front and back.

Currently...I'm getting about 57mph out of it. I live in Japan and it is perfect for flying around the city.

Evening 2 wheel GAF, how do you guys deal with coming out to find people sitting on your bike/messing with your shit!?

Me and the wife came out after a nice ride meal break the other day to find a family letting their kids sit on our bikes and basically doing a full blown photo shoot. It was the oddest thing I've ever seen. As soon as they saw us coming, they hoped in their minivan and drove away. Since then, I've started parking my bike where it's within eyeshot all the time, even if far away, and I'm constantly surprised at how many times I catch people sitting on/and or just straight up treating it like their own. A guy today straight-up sit on it, raised the kick stand, and proceeded to take selfies on it.

I've never seen a stranger's bike and though, "hey, let me hop on that and see how it feels!". I don't even know how to react.

Hey everyone, I've finally picked up a bike. I managed to get this beauty for a good price and I've been really happy with it.

Last night I was cleaning the bike and noticed this on the right side, any idea what is that?

Also I've seen a lot of YouTube videos about cleaning headers, and they all recommend using Harpic. Anyone tried using it? Any downsides to it? Can I use Harpic for the catalic converter box too?

Dougald

^looks like a bunch of sand in your belly pan or something?

For cleaning headers I've had success with NEVR-DULL, followed by Autosol polish and a lot of elbow grease.

Evening 2 wheel GAF, how do you guys deal with coming out to find people sitting on your bike/messing with your shit!?

Me and the wife came out after a nice ride meal break the other day to find a family letting their kids sit on our bikes and basically doing a full blown photo shoot. It was the oddest thing I've ever seen. As soon as they saw us coming, they hoped in their minivan and drove away. Since then, I've started parking my bike where it's within eyeshot all the time, even if far away, and I'm constantly surprised at how many times I catch people sitting on/and or just straight up treating it like their own. A guy today straight-up sit on it, raised the kick stand, and proceeded to take selfies on it.

I've never seen a stranger's bike and though, "hey, let me hop on that and see how it feels!". I don't even know how to react.

Never caught anyone but I often found my Bonneville had been messed with, it was a target for that stuff. A motion-sensitive alarm soon put a stop to any of that

I'm not sure why people think it's perfectly okay, it's actually worse than sitting in someones convertible, at least you can't drop and damage a car.

nico1982

Hey everyone, I've finally picked up a bike. I managed to get this beauty for a good price and I've been really happy with it.
Nice, but an R6 as a first bike?

Last night I was cleaning the bike and noticed this on the right side, any idea what is that?
Are you referring to the coolant/fuel overflow hose or the strange dry mud like dirt around it?

Also I've seen a lot of YouTube videos about cleaning headers, and they all recommend using Harpic. Anyone tried using it? Any downsides to it? Can I use Harpic for the catalic converter box too?

If you're referring to the foam, don't worry. It's just the insulation that they put on the fairings to buffer between the hot engine parts and the plastic fairings. If you feel it, it should be spongey. Over time, if the fairings were taken off and not mounted back on properly, the foam would form to the new pressure. You can probably take the fairing off with and allen set and and let it sit off the bike for a day. It may return towards original form. Then when you mount it again, just keep an eye on it so it doesn't squeeze out.

The hose is just a breather like Stevey said above me.

The yellow stuff on the hose is probably pollen.

Ah thanks for the replies everyone, I was actually pointing at the breather. Good to know about the foam tho, I'll check if it's spongy whenever I go to check on the bike.

For cleaning headers I've had success with NEVR-DULL, followed by Autosol polish and a lot of elbow grease.

Can I clean the rest of the exhaust system, all the way to the catalyst, with it?

Nice, but an R6 as a first bike?

Only the first bike I own but not the first bike I ride.

Dougald

Ahh I see now, it's foam! That makes more sense than a bunch of sand

Can I clean the rest of the exhaust system, all the way to the catalyst, with it?

Don't see why not, its pretty much just polish. Try it on a small area first before you go right in

I use Autosol on all metal parts of every bike I've ever owned, but I've only used NEVR-DULL on a couple of particularly dirty downpipes

Any opinions on the Shinko 016 Verge 2X?

Don't see why not, its pretty much just polish. Try it on a small area first before you go right in

I use Autosol on all metal parts of every bike I've ever owned, but I've only used NEVR-DULL on a couple of particularly dirty downpipes

That's really great news, I was really worried it would stay like that unless I got a full exhaust system.

Rode a Honda 500R yesterday and the 300R.

500R -- super comfortable, nice amount of power, could definitely see myself buying one of these.
300R -- felt like my old Ninja 250, but ow so cramped on my legs. I liked how nimble it was but for practical reasons I wouldn't buy it.

Next up I'm going to ride the Yamaha FZ-07. I rode the 09 last year and it was too fast for what I want on the street (3rd gear everywhere?). The 07 might be a nice balance.

And then I'm going to demo the KTM Duke 390.... should be a hoot.

Stevey

The other tire option I found were the Metzler, they're double the price though.

Ive not used anything other than Bridgestones for the last 15 years.
You get what you pay for with tires and theyre the thing that keeps you on the road, I'd never buy cheap tires especially on an R6

Ive not used anything other than Bridgestones for the last 15 years.
You get what you pay for with tires and theyre the thing that keeps you on the road, I'd never buy cheap tires especially on an R6

It's not about cheaping out, it's just that I can't seem to find shops that stock tires here. The very few that do only got Shinko and Metzler. I called Michelin and they said they don't. I'm yet to find a Bridgestone dealer here with motorcycle tires. It seems like my only option is to contact Yamaha directly when they open tomorrow.

Dougald

Metzeler aren't bad, I had a pair on my Bonneville when I bought it

Personally I only buy Bridgestone or Michelin if I have the choice

Stevey

It's not about cheaping out, it's just that I can't seem to find shops that stock tires here. The very few that do only got Shinko and Metzler. I called Michelin and they said they don't. I'm yet to find a Bridgestone dealer here with motorcycle tires. It seems like my only option is to contact Yamaha directly when they open tomorrow.

Oh right, sorry.

Maybe order them online if that's an option?

Oh right, sorry.

Exactly. Generally the cheapest way, too.

Look at Dunlop Q3 (can be had for relatively cheap and provide pretty good bang for the buck), Pirelli Diablo Rosso, Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa (high end, less tire life, maximum stick), Metzeler Sportec, etc.

Tires are a very personal thing, but I will say that it's going to take some serious doing to wrestle me away from Michelin. Nothing even comes close to the amount of confidence those tires give me. Order them online, find a sympathetic shop that will fit them for you.

Dougald

Tires are a very personal thing, but I will say that it's going to take some serious doing to wrestle me away from Michelin. Nothing even comes close to the amount of confidence those tires give me. Order them online, find a sympathetic shop that will fit them for you.

Pretty much this. I think any large brand is going to be 'good', but it really depends on your own personal preference at the end of the day. For instance Pirelli makes great rubber, but you always had to put a bit too much heat in them for my taste. A lot of it is psychology, it's not like most of us are seriously riding anywhere near hard enough on the road to really stress a modern tyre

I'm a Bridgestone Battlax man normally, but the previous owner put Michelin Pilot Roads on my Monster and they handle very well, though I do notice a fair amount of road noise.

Although most of my riding is road, I've tried the following tires...

Michelin - Pilot Power 2CT, Power Pure, Pilot Power 3

Dunlop - OEM Qualifier (junk), Q2, Q3

Pirelli - Diablo Rosso Corsa

I've done track days on Q2s, Power Pures, and the Diablo Rosso Corsa. The Q2s had the best "profile" for rapid lean-in with excellent side grip. The Pirellis had excellent grip but a much more even profile - the bike handled very well, but it didn't want to sit on its side like with the Dunlops. In terms of profile the Michelins were somewhere in-between, and grip-wise I felt didn't grip quite as good the others. Nothing wrong with them...I just don't think they're worth the money. A lot of it, though, is probably down to tire age. Fresher tires always out-perform.

Dougald

Well said, the problem when you don't do a lot of track riding is you're generally replacing old worn tyres for brand new. Really hard to get a bead on if they're truly any different

Yeah, honestly, if you're just riding on the road it's ridiculous to get really sticky tires. That said, I got great mileage out of the Dunlops...3300+ miles out of the rear. Michelin's road/sport touring tires as supposed to be really good. When I rode my friend's bike a few weeks ago it had Pilot Road 4s and they felt great. So I dunno. I have PP3s on the R1 still that aren't new at this point for sure, but I'll probably wear them down a bit before I replace them........

Once I get it on the road. :x

Not sure if anyone can weigh in but my ninja 250 has been sitting for 2 years. I knew the battery was toast so I picked up a new one and popped it in. It cranks but won't ignite. It's also dripping gas a little after I try cranking. Online it was saying it could just the carbs are overflowing from being dirty but not sure. I also got new brakes and tires before I let it sit and the from break was sticking on me.

My question though is this is a 1994, do these sound like things that can be fixed at a dealer relatively cheap? I'd like to keep the bike but it's old so I don't want to spend a ton for something that will likely have issues down the road. I've been considering buying a moto guzzi but I'd rather not spend all the extra money if I don't really have to. Curious if anyone has any advice. Thanks!

Dougald

I doubt it'd be something that would cost too much to fix at a dealer if you're not comfortable

That said, if it's been sat for two years and leaking fuel, sounds like it's possibly been sat with fuel in it. I'd drain the tank, drain the carbs and put fresh fuel in there. Carbs might need a good cleaning though, where is the fuel coming from?

I doubt it'd be something that would cost too much to fix at a dealer if you're not comfortable

That said, if it's been sat for two years and leaking fuel, sounds like it's possibly been sat with fuel in it. I'd drain the tank, drain the carbs and put fresh fuel in there. Carbs might need a good cleaning though, where is the fuel coming from?

It's the piece right behind the engine which I'm pretty sure is the carbs. Yeah, it had gas with stabilizer in it unfortunately. Is there an easy way to drain carbs? All the stuff online made it sound like I have to take out 50 pieces to clean the carbs so I assumed draining them would be the same.

Dougald

There ought to be a drain screw at the bottom of each carb, just unscrew that and anything in the float bowl will come out. I'm not sure how easy that would be with your bike though, I've only done it on lawnmowers and my wife's old 125cc bike, where the carb is easily accessible

Could be worth pulling the spark plugs too and making sure they look okay. But if the bike was running fine when you last used it, I'd suspect 2 year old fuel to be the most likely culprit

There ought to be a drain screw at the bottom of each carb, just unscrew that and anything in the float bowl will come out. I'm not sure how easy that would be with your bike though, I've only done it on lawnmowers and my wife's old 125cc bike, where the carb is easily accessible

Could be worth pulling the spark plugs too and making sure they look okay. But if the bike was running fine when you last used it, I'd suspect 2 year old fuel to be the most likely culprit

Got it, and yeah I assumed the fuel was too so I siphoned the tank over the weekend and put in fresh gas but wasn't sure how to get the carbs drained. I'll have to try again next weekend.

Yeah I'm the same. Only some Pirelli Supercorsas will coax me away from Michelin, but the SCs are more for the track, and overkill for the road if they get up to temp.

Gritesh

I just ordered a set of Pirelli angel gts for my super duke.

I've had Bridgestone battleaxs and I hated them.
Had Michelin pilot powers and loved them.
Had Pirelli diablo super corsas and loved them enough go buy a second set. I went with angel gts though this time as I do alot of travelling around the north West coast area of north America and ride through cold mountains and rain and super hot days and everything in between and thought I would try GT tire this time.

I've had Bridgestone battleaxs and I hated them.
Had Michelin pilot powers and loved them.
Had Pirelli diablo super corsas and loved them enough go buy a second set. I went with angel gts though this time as I do alot of travelling around the north West coast area of north America and ride through cold mountains and rain and super hot days and everything in between and thought I would try GT tire this time.

Just have to deal with that goofy as f tread pattern :)

This is embarrassing but I completely forgot about the existence of Perilli, I found their dealer in Dubai (I'm in Abu Dhabi). They're selling a set of Supercorsa SP for $530 which is cheaper than the Metzler. They don't install them tho, time to find a tire shop nearby.

Oh right, sorry.

I looked at getting tires from Revzilla but they don't ship all the way to here.

Exactly. Generally the cheapest way, too.

Look at Dunlop Q3 (can be had for relatively cheap and provide pretty good bang for the buck), Pirelli Diablo Rosso, Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa (high end, less tire life, maximum stick), Metzeler Sportec, etc.

Yeah I'm the same. Only some Pirelli Supercorsas will coax me away from Michelin, but the SCs are more for the track, and overkill for the road if they get up to temp.

So the supercorsa is a generally highly regarded tire?

Dougald

My mate had Supercorsa tyres on his old 848. Said they were excellent once heated, but a bit slippery when cold and not so great in the wet (it's England, so it's often wet). They're sports tyres though so that's to be expected

He absolutely raved about them on a nice day or the track though. Swapped from some other brand and gained so much more confidence on the bike

Went for a ride this weekend with my dad and some buddies. One of them on his new Ulysses and my dad on the FrankenBuell. Funny how the Buells are suddenly in the majority.

img_735716sow.jpg

The project is finished, basically. Well, we did everything we wanted to do. Last couple of things we did: repaint the bar ends, paint the rear mudguard, replace the Ulysses timer cover with a Lightning one, set the suspension, replace front brake pads and copy the fuel map from my Ulysses to this bike (did this succesfully with the Buelltooth dongle).

Now there's just some weird noise from the gearbox we have to hunt down.

Dougald

Looking good, I've never seen so many Buells together before!

I did actually see a Ulysses in the flesh a couple weeks ago at a cafe. Great looking bike

I did actually see a Ulysses in the flesh a couple weeks ago at a cafe. Great looking bike

Yeah, I tried my friend's Ulysses and I was once again astonished by how good it was. It's a 2008 MY, so a little different from mine. Increased steering lock, bigger front forks and the newer engine of course. The immense torque seemed to be there for a bit longer than it is on my bike. New engine does have an increased red line, so who knows. I still think you should totally try one when you're ready to add to the stable. It's so, so good.

nico1982

So the supercorsa is a generally highly regarded tire?
I'd avoid the Supercorsa unless your rides are 90% canyon carving.

Metzeler M7RR are among the best all-around tyre on the market, if not the best one. Decent even when cold, good in the wet, relatively comfortable over bumps but can old their own on the track for the casual track rider. Good mileage too.
Pirelli Rosso III are very similar to the Metzeler - Pirelli owns Metzeler - with a slightly svelte profile, which means the bike turn quicker but also lean in more abruptly under input.

nico1982

[...] I went with angel gts though this time as I do alot of travelling around the north West coast area of north America and ride through cold mountains and rain and super hot days and everything in between and thought I would try GT tire this time.
I ran a set on the Hornet and on the Tuono, both times in late autumn to early spring. Basically they make a sub 10 °C winter road feels *almost* like a 15-20 spring one. Loved them.
I never used them in the summer, but multiple friends reported that they tend to move around quite a bit when it is hot (it means 30°C and above).

My mate had Supercorsa tyres on his old 848. Said they were excellent once heated, but a bit slippery when cold and not so great in the wet (it's England, so it's often wet). They're sports tyres though so that's to be expected

He absolutely raved about them on a nice day or the track though. Swapped from some other brand and gained so much more confidence on the bike

I would say yes. It's a very high performing tire, but do not expect a lot of life out of them. I have heard many struggle to get 2000 miles out of a rear tire. It's almost a track day tire.

That's incredible but the mileage is a bit of an issue.

I'd avoid the Supercorsa unless your rides are 90% canyon carving.

Metzeler M7RR are among the best all-around tyre on the market, if not the best one. Decent even when cold, good in the wet, relatively comfortable over bumps but can old their own on the track for the casual track rider. Good mileage too.
Pirelli Rosso III are very similar to the Metzeler - Pirelli owns Metzeler - with a slightly svelte profile, which means the bike turn quicker but also lean in more abruptly under input.

M7 or the Z8?

Top Bottom