• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

If mileage is your main concern then you want a more touring-oriented tyre, of course you sacrifice performance for wet/cold weather performance and longevity

Horses for courses really, as we say in Blighty

I'm a terrible person with no patience so id most likely steam over shouting and swearing.

Yeah, this is definitely my first inclination. But them I'm like, "nah, I'm probably overreacting". But then in the back of my head I'm like, "nooooo, they're assholes".

Never caught anyone but I often found my Bonneville had been messed with, it was a target for that stuff. A motion-sensitive alarm soon put a stop to any of that

I'm not sure why people think it's perfectly okay, it's actually worse than sitting in someones convertible, at least you can't drop and damage a car.

I guess I'll look in an motion alarm then. I could probably look over just sitting on it I guess, but putting up the kickstand, and taking selfies is when I have to draw the line. Last dudes belt buckle did a number on my tank.

I never happened to me, but I'll politely ask them to leave it alone, I think. Some people are not ill-meaning, just clueless.

Yeah. I don't think anyone is being malicious, just like you said, maybe absent minded?

Nafai1123

Banned
Welp, I had a...interesting ride over the weekend. Buddy hit up a bunch of his friends to go on a group ride. Normally it's been 2-3 of us at most, and we've gone a bunch of times together so we know how to ride together in formation and what not.

Anyways, this time 3 more of his buddies show up, one of which had just bought a '99 Honda 600 F4. As soon as we set off, I already knew something was up. This guy was incapable of riding in formation, and was constantly switching to the other lane to move up in formation or just pass the cars in front and leave us behind. Extremely annoying when you're trying to focus on just getting out of town and getting to the good roads, but whatever, you do you bro.

As soon as we hit the twisties, I could clearly see the guy was uncomfortable with the turns. Not even 5 minutes into hitting the good roads, we're going into a slightly hidden left-hander. My buddy I normally ride with is in front, followed by this new guy on the Honda, and then me. To be fair we were going pretty quick into the turn. Anyways, as I'm leaning into the turn I see Honda guy going wide. It looked like he either applied brake or downshifted mid-turn, which forced his bike upright....straight into some branches and shit on the side of the road. Thankfully I take the inside and cruise right by him.

He was fine, just some scrapes on his side, and his bike isn't too bad off. Front fascia is fucked but it's still running. He managed to get it home and we followed him back. Disappointing ride but obviously happy he was OK.

I guess the moral of the story is, don't act like an idiot thinking you're hot shit on a new bike, and don't brake/downshift in turns (I thought this was obvious).

All-too-familiar story. I hate group rides.

A friend and I went on a ride and met some people from the R1-Forum (not regulars there or anything). I was on my R1, friend on his R6. They couldn't turn! They almost ate shit like eight times and it made me nervous as hell. At the end of the ride, one guy said, "......man, I think I should go back to a 600..."

Stevey

Get a lot of people like that, nail it on the straights and bottle it in the turns.

Years ago I went for a ride with a lad from work and a few of his mates, I had a 600 bandit, and he had a 636 Ninja, cant remember the other bikes.
First roundabout we came to I nearly smashed into the back of him, wasnt expecting him to be so slow.

Flo_Evans

onyGHDq.jpg

GS'ing it

nico1982

M7 or the Z8?
I'm talking about the M7, yes.

The Z8 are sport touring rubber, like the aforementioned Angel GT. As Fallout and Dougald pointed out, if mileage is an issue you should look at these tires. On an R6 they should last 10K km or more on mixed usage with 50% highway travel. This under european (cooler) climate. It might be slightly worse in your region.

P.S. Z8 have been replaced by the Roadtec 01.

Gritesh

I ran a set on the Hornet and on the Tuono, both times in late autumn to early spring. Basically they make a sub 10 °C winter road feels *almost* like a 15-20 spring one. Loved them.
I never used them in the summer, but multiple friends reported that they tend to move around quite a bit when it is hot (it means 30°C and above).

Thanks for the feedback, where I am we get about 2 weeks a year where it's above 30c, otherwise it's usually anywhere from 15 to 25.

I think they will be decent for me bit we will see worst case scenario I run them out and never buy them again.

OraleeWey

Everyone is talking about the highest performing tires and I'm just sitting here arguing if I should get the Mefo Explorer or the Heidenau K60 Scout next.
On a semi related note, I wish my tires weren't tubed. I don't know the differences between tubed and tubeless, but tubeless tires are easier to patch. Can't complain though, Kawasaki decided tubed is the way to go. Also, I finally bought myself a service manual so when the time comes, I'll know what to do. TBH, I don't know how to change a tire on my motorcycle. It's probably a bitch though. I don't know much about maintenance other than the basic. Hoping to change that.

onyGHDq.jpg

GS'ing it

Ooh my... This is such an amazing picture. Perfectly captures what dual sport/adventure riding is all about. Do you mind if you re-upload the original to abload.de so I can see every last bit of detail on those water drops?

Went for a ride this weekend with my dad and some buddies. One of them on his new Ulysses and my dad on the FrankenBuell. Funny how the Buells are suddenly in the majority.

img_735716sow.jpg

The project is finished, basically. Well, we did everything we wanted to do. Last couple of things we did: repaint the bar ends, paint the rear mudguard, replace the Ulysses timer cover with a Lightning one, set the suspension, replace front brake pads and copy the fuel map from my Ulysses to this bike (did this succesfully with the Buelltooth dongle).

Now there's just some weird noise from the gearbox we have to hunt down.
Bikes are looking great. Netherlands looks like a beautiful, peaceful place.

I picked up a Kriega R25 a little while ago. I believe Revzilla carries them in the US

I'd highly recommend one, not only can you strap additional packs to them, but they also have a locking harness designed for biking, so that the pressure is put on your chest rather than your shoulders, its far more comfortable than a standard bag.

You keep posting things I want but can't afford!

Anyway, I bought me some new gloves. The ones I was using this whole time were not summer friendly. My hands wouldn't even come out the gloves due to the sweat (eww). These new ones have holes and they pass though air very nicely. I found that the hard way. Let's just say I keep underestimating how cold it really is, lol.

Flo_Evans

I kind of regret not riding... too much hassle to bring all the nice camera gear on the bike though. Plus it was pretty crowded, I think around 30 riders came down for the weekend. I'll go next weekend when its just a few shop guys and we can have fun not worrying about people crashing every 5 minutes :p

Dougald

Nice looking photos, great to see a big GS doing what it was (partially) designed for. And Mustard Yellow was definitely the best colour the 1150 came in...

You keep posting things I want but can't afford!

Pff, you have a nice practical bike with luggage, you don't need a bag. Mine was designed by italians to look good, not actually be used on the roads

Dougald

I do really like the Aprilia Caponord (not to mention the Tuono)... but the nearest dealer being a good hour from me is a bit of a turn off

Well, my 1 week Gaf ban is finally over haha. Get ready for a walk of text, if anyone is interested.

Today was the first time since I started almost riding in January that another driver really put me on tilt. Was raining on my way home from class, so luckily I was being more careful than usual, but still...

I was going through an intersection which curves slightly to the right and goes over a rise (it's a stupid design). Anyway, the left-most lane has lines on the road which indicate you can only go to the left lane, whilst the right has lines which indicate you can move into a middle lane or an additional right lane on the other side of the intersection. (Yeah, 2 lanes into 3) I'm on the right lane, some jerk in a white 4wd is in the left.

I started through the intersection slowly of the wet and incline, and he pulled slightly ahead, maybe half a foot in front of my bike. I could see in his side mirror that he was looking at me, so I stupidly felt fine until he then flicked on his indicator, applied some brake and immediately veers across my lane to get to the right exit lane of the intersection, causing me to hit the brakes hard not to get collected by him.

The rear tyre of my bike slid at about a 45* angle to the lane, out to my left, which tilted the bike right back and flinging my laptop bag to my side. I reactively upped the throttle and leaned hard into the left, luckily regaining traction on the dry left side of my lane just inches from a traffic island (thank fuck for abs kicking in as I regained balance, helped a lot). I beep my horn for a few seconds and pull up at the next set of lights, at which point he winds down his window and says "it's an orange flashing light, c***, know what it means?" to which I stupidly flicked up my visor and yelled back in my adrenaline fuelled anger "you have to give me ample clearance, time and not merge in the middle of an intersection you fucking cock. I know what it means, I study road rule law, fucker!"

He just shrugged and drove off while I rode the last 2 minutes home slowly out of shock and shaking from the adrenaline rush. I parked my bike at home and immediately ordered a Contour Roam3 camera, in the event I need evidence of a reactionary crash or something.

TLDR*****

Nearly lost control of my bike in the wet because I was cut off by someone who clearly saw me, but didn't give a shit. I'm sorry if this isn't really appropriate here or if I'll just get a bunch of "What's the matter? That's riding a bike, dude", but the fact that he saw me and still did it really just ruined my day, I was shaking and just feeling really... Off, for a bit. I'm glad I always wear my full protective gear regardless of what some co-workers say, there was a really solid chance they could have been put to work today.

Anyway, my "learning" takeaway is that I shouldn't have exploded like that, but I just did. I also probably could have waited a half second longer at the lights and dropped further behind him (though there was traffic fairly close behind both of us, making that somewhat dangerous in itself) or I could have placed myself further to the right side of my lane to have longer to react... but fuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPYEwK9JdLE

-------

Thanks a lot for the advices guys, thankfully I found someone who sells a decent range of tires. He got the Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3 for a pretty good price. My friend needs new tires for his CBR too, so might take a trip there soon with him to get a discount.

These are pretty good tires, right?

Should be fine, especially in your warmer climate. I would recommend that for your next set of tires you try something different (Metzeler or Michelin) unless you have a very good experience with these.

For me, I did my first few years on Pirelli and thought they were good for me because I simply did not know any better. Seven years later was the first time I got on a bike with Michelin and finally saw the light, as it were. Problem is, the only way you're going to find out what's good for you is by trying it.

Well, my 1 week Gaf ban is finally over haha. Get ready for a walk of text, if anyone is interested.

Today was the first time since I started almost riding in January that another driver really put me on tilt. Was raining on my way home from class, so luckily I was being more careful than usual, but still...

I was going through an intersection which curves slightly to the right and goes over a rise (it's a stupid design). Anyway, the left-most lane has lines on the road which indicate you can only go to the left lane, whilst the right has lines which indicate you can move into a middle lane or an additional right lane on the other side of the intersection. (Yeah, 2 lanes into 3) I'm on the right lane, some jerk in a white 4wd is in the left.

I started through the intersection slowly of the wet and incline, and he pulled slightly ahead, maybe half a foot in front of my bike. I could see in his side mirror that he was looking at me, so I stupidly felt fine until he then flicked on his indicator, applied some brake and immediately veers across my lane to get to the right exit lane of the intersection, causing me to hit the brakes hard not to get collected by him.

The rear tyre of my bike slid at about a 45* angle to the lane, out to my left, which tilted the bike right back and flinging my laptop bag to my side. I reactively upped the throttle and leaned hard into the left, luckily regaining traction on the dry left side of my lane just inches from a traffic island (thank fuck for abs kicking in as I regained balance, helped a lot). I beep my horn for a few seconds and pull up at the next set of lights, at which point he winds down his window and says "it's an orange flashing light, c***, know what it means?" to which I stupidly flicked up my visor and yelled back in my adrenaline fuelled anger "you have to give me ample clearance, time and not merge in the middle of an intersection you fucking cock. I know what it means, I study road rule law, fucker!"

He just shrugged and drove off while I rode the last 2 minutes home slowly out of shock and shaking from the adrenaline rush. I parked my bike at home and immediately ordered a Contour Roam3 camera, in the event I need evidence of a reactionary crash or something.

TLDR*****

Nearly lost control of my bike in the wet because I was cut off by someone who clearly saw me, but didn't give a shit. I'm sorry if this isn't really appropriate here or if I'll just get a bunch of "What's the matter? That's riding a bike, dude", but the fact that he saw me and still did it really just ruined my day, I was shaking and just feeling really... Off, for a bit. I'm glad I always wear my full protective gear regardless of what some co-workers say, there was a really solid chance they could have been put to work today.

Anyway, my "learning" takeaway is that I shouldn't have exploded like that, but I just did. I also probably could have waited a half second longer at the lights and dropped further behind him (though there was traffic fairly close behind both of us, making that somewhat dangerous in itself) or I could have placed myself further to the right side of my lane to have longer to react... but fuck.

Nah it's understandable. Glad you're okay. Gets under my skin as well whenever people do dumb shit like that. The trick is to assume that everyone is going to do that. Better for your health and your blood pressure.

and, uh, maybe the thruxton went in for this on account of how i may or may not have gotten irritated with burning my knees on the injectors whenever i tried to grip the tank during a proper hustle...

zCYQPkC.jpg

Dougald

Lol, you just can't help yourself can you

Makes sense, keep the Guzzi for the classic look and swap the "performance" one for an actual performance bike. That new Speed Triple is so much nicer than the previous model too.

Watevaman

Finally got around to grabbing some of the pictures a friend took on a trip out to our favorite spot a month or so back. I think I've posted a video of the road before, but pictures of the trip are nice :). My bike really is a damn mess; if I had the time and money I would strip it and powdercoat almost everything. Maybe next winter...

Dougald

That Kawasaki grows on me more and more every time you post it. I think I'd consider it a proper classic now

Love the stickers as ever

Nice, Wateman. Really attacking those corners I see. Must mean that all the work you've done on the Rex was successful.

and, uh, maybe the thruxton went in for this on account of how i may or may not have gotten irritated with burning my knees on the injectors whenever i tried to grip the tank during a proper hustle...

zCYQPkC.jpg

That is a great picture. New bike in weather like that... I respect that. Congratulations on the purchase!

------------

Last post I mentioned we heard something off in the primary case of the FrankenBuell. So we hunted for the source of that sound today:

And we found it. Probably the result of another jackass Harley mechanic who shouldn't be anywhere near motorcycles. There's two spacers in the clutch pack and clutch basket, they have sides clearly marked 'OUT'. Guess which way they were facing?

Close to a thousand euro's worth of parts ruined because the whole setup was rattling around in there with a lot more play than it should have.

Luckily we still had a working clutch from the Firebolt engine. Used that. All should now be well with the Frankenbuell.

Find a mechanic you trust or do it yourself, cause christ...

Flo_Evans

Thanks, man. Good stuff. Surprised to see so many people with their really big toys out in the mud.

The local BMW dealer has been hosting this event for the last 5 or so years. Gets pro riding instructors to come out and give hands on off road school then has "the challenge" at the end.

And we found it. Probably the result of another jackass Harley mechanic who shouldn't be anywhere near motorcycles. There's two spacers in the clutch pack and clutch basket, they have sides clearly marked 'OUT'. Guess which way they were facing?

Close to a thousand euro's worth of parts ruined because the whole setup was rattling around in there with a lot more play than it should have.

Luckily we still had a working clutch from the Firebolt engine. Used that. All should now be well with the Frankenbuell.

Find a mechanic you trust or do it yourself, cause christ...[/QUOTE]

Oh man its great to find and solve problems like that. At least you now know that its sorted. But its a pain when you take a bike in and you hope the guys looking at it has the same enthusiasm as you.

OraleeWey

I wanted to stop by McD's after work to get some McNuggets before arriving home. I decided I didn't want to take off my gloves at the drive thru, get in my pockets, take out my wallet, etc, etc, etc. So before riding I put a $5 bill and .50¢ nicely tucked between the RAM mount and my phone. Predominantly so it could be a quick and easy transaction. Bad idea. After a mile into my commute home, I felt something lightly hitting my leg. I knew I had done fucked up and lost $5.50. Somewhere out there in a patch of grass next to a main road there is a perfectly usable $5 bill and .50¢ just laying there. ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)

This happens all the time, right?

Gritesh

I wanted to stop by McD's after work to get some McNuggets before arriving home. I decided I didn't want to take off my gloves at the drive thru, get in my pockets, take out my wallet, etc, etc, etc. So before riding I put a $5 bill and .50¢ nicely tucked between the RAM mount and my phone. Predominantly so it could be a quick and easy transaction. Bad idea. After a mile into my commute home, I felt something lightly hitting my leg. I knew I had done fucked up and lost $5.50. Somewhere out there in a patch of grass next to a main road there is a perfectly usable $5 bill and .50¢ just laying there. ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)

This happens all the time, right?

Where do you live? And more importantly which exact roads did you take?

Dougald

I had a lovely GPS unit on my Honda ST1100

Last time I saw it, it was bouncing under a lorry in my wing mirror on the M4. Never truly trusted mounts since

OraleeWey

Where do you live? And more importantly which exact roads did you take?
That's classified :)
Route 50 USVA

Last time I saw it, it was bouncing under a lorry in my wing mirror on the M4. Never truly trusted mounts since

Is your avatar an accurate representation of your facial expression as you saw your GPS getting further and further away in your mirror?

nico1982

Money lost aside, gps, action cams and smartphones become a projectile first, then a dangerous obstacle once on the ground. Retention lanyards should be mandatory. They add little complication, but can save life other than money.

just scratched up the alternator cover on the speedy, not even 100 miles. left the battery tender attached when i rolled out of the garage, sharp yank to the left, and sloooowly and horrifyingly down i went. damage was mild but OH GOD THE SHAME. even worse, i tripped over the cord after i righted the bike. :-( i think my cussing woke up the neighborhood

Dougald

just scratched up the alternator cover on the speedy, not even 100 miles. left the battery tender attached when i rolled out of the garage, sharp yank to the left, and sloooowly and horrifyingly down i went. damage was mild but OH GOD THE SHAME. even worse, i tripped over the cord after i righted the bike. :-( i think my cussing woke up the neighborhood

Damn, that sucks, at least that damage was minor

You could just buy an alternator cover protector to cover up the scratches!

Money lost aside, gps, action cams and smartphones become a projectile first, then a dangerous obstacle once on the ground. Retention lanyards should be mandatory. They add little complication, but can save life other than money.

That's a great point, I'll definitely consider one if I ever fit another mount

Took the 600RR for the first decent ride yesterday since changing oil and putting the new Pilot Power 3's on. Felt great. All new gear as well.

It was about 87 and sunny, but really windy. I only did about 10 of the 80 miles on the highway, but man was it windy.

Today, my neck and traps are sore. Yesterday, my knees and hips were a little sore. Being ~4 years since riding on the road and 3 years since my last track day, I realize I'm out of bike-shape : (

It's easy to find a lot of guides on winterizing the bike but any tips on storing the bike through the summer? Does anything differ. I'm mostly referring to fuel stablizers, are they meant for long period storage or specifically the winter storage?

It's easy to find a lot of guides on winterizing the bike but any tips on storing the bike through the summer? Does anything differ. I'm mostly referring to fuel stablizers, are they meant for long period storage or specifically the winter storage?

Long storage, nothing to do with winter per se. You want to add stabilizer to a mostly full tank, then run it for a few minutes to ensure it percolates through the engine parts. If you have a carb, drain it, should be good to go.

Top Bottom