• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

OraleeWey

If riding dual-sport/offroad get the Honda, it's significantly lighter. The version with dual clutch and ABS is a little heavier, but still lighter.

I really like the idea of the Honda AT. If I ever get a motorcycle again there is a good chance it will be a Honda AT.

The Africa Twin is a lovely bike. I test rode it but was just too tall for my short legs so not practical for me. Only thing missing on it for touring was cruise control.

Yeah, the Honda AT is a very nice motorcycle. Very low center of gravity makes moving it around really easy. I would love to test ride it.

Edit: Got to see the Super Tenere in person. The people at the dealer said I could test ride it so I am definitely going to be doing that this coming week!

RqI4SW3r.jpg

What other bike should I test ride? I'll probably ask for a second test and if they say OKAY​, why the heck not?

What other bike should I test ride? I'll probably ask for a second test and if they say OKAY​, why the heck not?
Do they have Triumph? I'd do for a Tiger 800. The XC models if you want more trail capability or the XRs if you don't (XR being more road focused with lower suspension and cast wheels)

Edit: actually given the size of the super tenere guess you want something bigger so the Triumph Explorer which is also 1200

At probably a quarter of the price and 75lbs lighter (than the ST), you should definitely try a Ulysses if you're considering a bike in that category.

OraleeWey

Sorry guys, I had already scheduled the test rides before I got the suggestions :(

I'm set for tomorrow, Super Tenere and FZ-09. Also, I'm not buying any bikes now, I don't mean to give that impression. Just test riding.

Do they have Triumph? I'd do for a Tiger 800. The XC models if you want more trail capability or the XRs if you don't (XR being more road focused with lower suspension and cast wheels)

Edit: actually given the size of the super tenere guess you want something bigger so the Triumph Explorer which is also 1200
None at that dealership. I was heavy looking at Africa Twin, Super Tenere or Triumph 800. One of the reasons I like the Super Tenere is because of the driveshaft and electronic throttle control. Less maintenance all around.

At probably a quarter of the price and 75lbs lighter (than the ST), you should definitely try a Ulysses if you're considering a bike in that category.
I'd have to go to a Harley Davidson dealer for Buells. I'll see if they're willing to let me test ride those and I just might :)

Watevaman

Washed the rex for the first time in ~7 months today (no pics, sorry). Felt so good to get all the bug guts and grime off the paint. It ain't perfect, but I think it's purty.

OraleeWey

So, I got to test ride these two beasts...

They're obviously two different type of bikes but I liked them both. The FZ-09, with just a little bit of throttle made me feel like I was going to launch out of orbit. Being able to go 60 MPH in 3rd gear had me like this after

I liked them both like I said before, but for my purposes, if I was buying, there's no doubt about it, the Tenere. It's almost 600lbs but tbh, that doesn't bother me it all. You don't really feel the weight. The touring mode on it was smoother and the sport mode on it was more aggressive. Kinda weird how that same bike can feel different. I wish I had more time with both. About 15 minutes with each.

Washed the rex for the first time in ~7 months today (no pics, sorry). Felt so good to get all the bug guts and grime off the paint. It ain't perfect, but I think it's purty.

I would clean my KLR and then pollen would just ruin it. I just couldn't keep it clean... But I also recently gave it a nice cleaning as well.

Dougald

The Tenere is definitely more of a "do it all" bike, whereas the Tracer is pretty firmly in the Touring category.

If you have a BMW dealer nearby you really should try an R1200GS, just for the hell of it

OraleeWey

If you have a BMW dealer nearby you really should try an R1200GS, just for the hell of it

I'm sorry @Dougald, but I'm afraid I can't do that. I'll instantly fall in love with that thing.

Joking aside, I think you're right. Don't know why I haven't thought of it. I should do that. Oddly enough I know of a Ducati dealer that might let me test ride it. Same dealer I went to test ride the Scrambler and Monster 801.

As far as your first comment, I have my KLR for "do it all". What I'm interested in next is something more specialized. So I'm keeping my options open. I'd like to be able to take the bike all over USA though, so that's my top of my priority list, next to reliability of course.

You want a FJ-09/Tracer 900. It basically takes the best of both bikes: almost as comfortable as the Tenerè and a bit less hooligan than the FZ :)

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/long-...g-term-update-sorting-the-tracers-suspension/

Standard suspension, even on the Tracer variant, apparently leaves something to be desired.

I have sung its praises before and I'll sing them again. *musical note* Ulysses *musical note*.

All I'm saying, to anyone who is looking for a touring bike, even if it's very casually, do not sleep on the Uly. Try one at the very least.

Eats miles like a GS, is not even half as expensive as one, and puts a bigger smile on your face. Guaranteed.

Though I'll forgive everyone for thinking I am no longer to be trusted when it comes to these things.

nico1982

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/long-...g-term-update-sorting-the-tracers-suspension/
Standard suspension, even on the Tracer variant, apparently leaves something to be desired.
Yes, the first revision of the FZ/MT-09 had way-too-cheap suspensions, especially compared to the lively engine. The FJ/Tracer had better spring and default settings from the beginning and they have been adopted on later versions of the FZ/MT and on the XSR-900. Reviews of the newer model have been more positive.

Anyway, a friend of mine rode a Tracer for two years, before crashing it due to mud in a bend. He always rode two-up, rather aggressively, and after a suspensions expert took care of the shock - just settings and oil, didn't change the spring, IIRC - the bike behaved very well. He never complained of it, though, knowing that expecting supersport stability from a tall bike with long-travel suspensions is delusional.

Haven't ridden it, so I couldn't honestly say.

I have ridden the S1000RR however when it was first released and I marveled at its ability to smooth out whatever crap road I threw at it.

I suppose they must have leaned into that aspect of the bike even more with the XR.

(Sadly those bikes live in a price range that makes them pretty much completely irrelevant. To me at least, as someone that prefers to pay cash.)

OraleeWey

Guess what manages to come pretty damn close :p

You know, I see what you're saying about the Buell now. I just took a closer look and it seems to check a lot of boxes, honestly. I did manage to find the only one within a 250 mile radius from me (70/80 miles away)... It's a little far away, but I'll see what I can do.

shortcomings

Neo Member
I'm thinking of buying my first motorcycle, and was looking at the 125cc because that's what i can drive with my car license, and besides it's mainly to make the daily city commute less of a bore.

My options are: chinese cafe racers (Hanway, Mash) or the sports top of the line Yamaha MT125 and KTM Duke 125. Aprilia looks good but maybe less reliable?

You know, I see what you're saying about the Buell now. I just took a closer look and it seems to check a lot of boxes, honestly. I did manage to find the only one within a 250 mile radius from me (70/80 miles away)... It's a little far away, but I'll see what I can do.

Yeah, all I'm saying is give it a shot. If it turns out the bike clicks as much for you as it did for me, you'll be glad you did. So, I'm not saying 'buy that bike', but I would say 'try that bike' :D. Given its characteristics.

Dougald

Don't buy Chinese. Seriously. They are cheap for a reason

Unless you like parts literally falling off the bike as you ride along, you are always better buying a used Japanese 125 for the money, or spending out more for something good.

Just to make the one we had usable I had to bleed the brakes, retune the carb, change the oil, and thread-lock near enough every single bolt, and we still had god knows how many problems with it in the 3 months from new before my wife passed her test and bought a big bike. The 20 year old Honda we had after that? Ran like a dream.

Don't buy Chinese. Seriously. They are cheap for a reason

Unless you like parts literally falling off the bike as you ride along, you are always better buying a used Japanese 125 for the money, or spending out more for something good.

Just to make the one we had usable I had to bleed the brakes, retune the carb, change the oil, and thread-lock near enough every single bolt, and we still had god knows how many problems with it in the 3 months from new before my wife passed her test and bought a big bike. The 20 year old Honda we had after that? Ran like a dream.

Agreed.

Dougald

Spent all morning puttering around on the Monster doing my favourite summer activity - riding around random back-roads purely for the reason I've never been there before, getting lost and trying to find my way back home without resorting to pulling out my phone

img_17126uxkm.jpg

Oh man, sounds like an excellent time.

Was on two wheels as well, but had to do the pedaling myself sadly. Luckily, lunch was pretty damn good.

OraleeWey

Hmmm...
Doesn't seem like he had any bad or Ill intentions...

I also just realized that some of you guys have been here for a long time. Not that there's anything wrong with it, just my observation.

Also, there was something stupidly wrong with my bike. Too embarrassing to type out, but let's just say I found some extra HP on my KLR recently.

Hmmm...
Doesn't seem like he had any bad or Ill intentions...

I also just realized that some of you guys have been here for a long time. Not that there's anything wrong with it, just my observation.

Also, there was something stupidly wrong with my bike. Too embarrassing to type out, but let's just say I found some extra HP on my KLR recently.

haha, i thought it was awesome -- i'm only noting him obliquely because i don't think he's a fan of this joint any more. i've met him in person a couple times and he's rad af.

i've been at gaf since, uhhhhh, 1996 (back when it was the gaming-age forum). :-(

OraleeWey

haha, i thought it was awesome -- i'm only noting him obliquely because i don't think he's a fan of this joint any more. i've met him in person a couple times and he's rad af.

i've been at gaf since, uhhhhh, 1996 (back when it was the gaming-age forum). :-(

My good sir! I thought you got banned. Your tag shows "banned" for me. You beat the system, you!

Hey man, back in 96, I was a 3/4 year old innocent little kid. In my little town, no such thing as internet. At least we had a TV in the late 90's, on which I'd watch Pokémon on and I didn't know what "To be continued..." meant at the end of each episode at the time.

Edit: By "in here" I meant in this thread created in 2008, that's still a long time. Almost 10 years, right around the time I was able to pay for my own internet!

my tenure in the gafsphere is longer than my marriage, and we celebrate two decades in august. tha FUCK. THE FUCK.

i have a daughter that's old enough to post (she's 13). she writes persona fanfics and draws bishies. she plays nintendo. ugh. ugh.

OraleeWey

my tenure in the gafsphere is longer than my marriage, and we celebrate two decades in august. tha FUCK. THE FUCK.

i have a daughter that's old enough to post (she's 13). she writes persona fanfics and draws bishies. she plays nintendo. ugh. ugh.

Ahh yes, I think I know what the problem is. We need to stop aging. Hey man, congrats on your marriage! I don't have any kids but I do have an 8 year old brother, the youngest. That's why I wear my super bright gear, at the end of the day, I just want to come home.

Edit: @Watevaman

Sometimes I go back a few pages to re-read what the hell I posted.
I read some of your posts mentioning you had a few crashes and wanted to go dirt only... And that you wanted a TW200, well I'm not sure if you ever did end up with a TW200 or not, but, I remember you mentioned you were in Southern VA? Well, if you ever find yourself in a position where, you got lost riding your bike, and you made it all the way to Northern VA, don't hesitate to PM me. I'd let you ride my KLR if you want/never ridden one before. I guarantee after your first ride, you're gonna want one too. Just throwing it out there in case you're still shopping around for a dualsport/dirt bike. I know there's a huge difference between the TW/KLR, but at least the KLR can do highway better than a TW200. So there's that. Plus they can be found for damn cheap.

Dougald

I started lurking shortly after my Nephew was born and now he's nearly old enough for a GAF account. Meanwhile I pretty much only post here and my gaming PC hasn't been on since 2016

At least I'll always have bikes. I feel too guilty to game at home when there's something to be doing, but on a motorcycle I don't have to think about anything except for the road

I started lurking shortly after my Nephew was born and now he's nearly old enough for a GAF account. Meanwhile I pretty much only post here and my gaming PC hasn't been on since 2016

At least I'll always have bikes. I feel too guilty to game at home when there's something to be doing, but on a motorcycle I don't have to think about anything except for the road

I came here in 2005. Twelve years this august.

Still play videogames, though I think I have Dark Souls to thank for that mostly. And the occasional gem like new DOOM. But yeah, it's hard to find the time
with work and bikes filling up most of it.

Haha, I have that exact same bike trailer.

It's telling btw that a man that wealthy will still choose to go out on a bike over the many many awesome cars he can no doubt afford.

Man, 1996. I remember that summer. I was 12 years old and we had just gotten a 486 and I was playing Screamer and the shareware version of Quake while listening to this on repeat. Last summer before high school...

Dougald

Got caught in the first mile after the purchase it seems. That's understandable given all the things you're probably trying to keep track off and figure out other than speed. Though the article says it's not clear how much he was speeding. So maybe it wasn't just a couple of miles due to absentmindedness...

Anyway, makes for a good illustration of the usefulness of a 600cc screamer in a police state, haha.

OraleeWey

If there's something I know about British (and Aussie) police, is that they are not merciful. They will not let any violation slip by.

At least, sometimes American police might be a little merciful.

Except for that one time a state trooper gave me a speeding ticket.

Dougald

The police here are actually fairly laid back, but there's definitely an expectation to come clean if you're caught speeding (as with most things actually, "it's a fair cop guv" and all that)

You're not liable to be let off, but they may well overlook some things such as my friend being given the choice of points and a fine for doing 65 in a 60, or points and a bigger fine for his illegal license plate. You can bet if he'd tried to talk his way out he'd have ended up with both

The speed cameras though? The speed cameras are everywhere. They can't be bargained with, they can't be reasoned with. They don't feel pity, remorse or fear. They absolutely will not stop until you're in a speed awareness course

Got caught in the first mile after the purchase it seems. That's understandable given all the things you're probably trying to keep track off and figure out other than speed. Though the article says it's not clear how much he was speeding. So maybe it wasn't just a couple of miles due to absentmindedness...

From memory it wasn't too bad, he was going 40mph in a 30mph zone that was 40mph once upon a time

Edit: actually that reminds me, UK police forces actually run motorcycle safety awareness courses, where they give you a stern talking to if you *don't* speed on empty, safe countryside roads. They tell you not to get caught up in traffic and call exceeding the limit where appropriate "making progress". In a built-up area or going excessively fast is bad news though. People fairly regularly see driving bans or even prison here for exceeding 100mph

The speed cameras though? The speed cameras are everywhere. They can't be bargained with, they can't be reasoned with. They don't feel pity, remorse or fear. They absolutely will not stop until you're in a speed awareness course

I fucking love a good Terminator reference.

From memory it wasn't too bad, he was going 40mph in a 30mph zone that was 40mph once upon a time

Edit: actually that reminds me, UK police forces actually run motorcycle safety awareness courses, where they give you a stern talking to if you *don't* speed on empty, safe countryside roads. They tell you not to get caught up in traffic and call exceeding the limit where appropriate "making progress".

Yeah, sounds good. Always feels safer to me too.

demented

I'm dying inside as the weather keeps getting better and I can't ride the bike. I just don't think I'll be able to regain strength in my arm (after breaking it) enough to drive well enough, and risk another fall on it that would royally fuck it up. fuuuuuuuck :(
thinking about #yolo ing it

I'm dying inside as the weather keeps getting better and I can't ride the bike. I just don't think I'll be able to regain strength in my arm (after breaking it) enough to drive well enough, and risk another fall on it that would royally fuck it up. fuuuuuuuck :(
thinking about #yolo ing it

Have you talked to a physical therapist?

Ugh dead battery today. Had to do the walk of shame back home up the mountain in 100 degree weather to get my car to jump start the bike. I miss having a bike with a kickstart.

Spent all morning puttering around on the Monster doing my favourite summer activity - riding around random back-roads purely for the reason I've never been there before, getting lost and trying to find my way back home without resorting to pulling out my phone

img_17126uxkm.jpg

Back in the land of the living... and I see the weather has been doing well. I might do the same this coming long weekend. Just get out for a nice ride around. The Monster is looking good. Is all the bits sorted out and behaving?

Top Bottom