• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

^must be the difference in taxes between the UK and the Netherlands, cause that's dirt cheap. Friend of mine recently bought the exact same bike (same year and mileage) for 4500 euro (3700 quid).

A friend of a friend just bought a CBR600 and apparently it has front brake problems. This leads me to believe that he didn't test ride it and bought it on a whim.

I don't think I'd buy a used bike if I couldn't test ride it. I'd just walk away.

Yeah exactly, brakes too.

Everything actually, you can see how the engine feels, the gearbox, etc... It's not a bulletproof method. But not riding it is a pretty big risk.

^must be the difference in taxes between the UK and the Netherlands, cause that's dirt cheap. Friend of mine recently bought the exact same bike (same year and mileage) for 4500 euro (3700 quid).

Yeah exactly, brakes too.

Everything actually, you can see how the engine feels, the gearbox, etc... It's not a bulletproof method. But not riding it is a pretty big risk.
I think it's Northern Ireland. Not a great deal of people to be buying used bikes. Adds are often up for months and by the end people just need to get rid and will settle for less.

Ah, makes sense then, yes. Good for you :).

Though that also makes it important to buy the right bike first time round. You should go to a dealer and perhaps make a test drive on an FZ, maybe compare it to a Monster 696. Wonderful, wonderful bike.

Since moving at the beginning of the year (I will be moving again soon out of this damned place) I haven't been able to work on the bike much. There is no water where I store it, which is very limiting, and it's a bit out of the way. So, more or less I rode what I could earlier in the new year and now it needs tires (which I have). I went to change the tires but could not because I couldn't find my damn sockets (well, the few for the rear axle). I looked around the apartment, nothing, checked the storage area, nothing. On a whim recently I checked the storage place again and sure enough with all my tools was a bag...I opened it...there was everything, right where it should be. I had just never opened the bag. So, soon I'll remove the wheels and get the set of Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsas put on :) (then I have to ride it to a place close by to thoroughly clean it, change the oil, etc.).

Also am replacing some gear. My boots - one in particular - had taken a decent beating in my low speed get off (~30mph). It was bad enough on the one foot that I don't trust it to hold up in another crash. After a good bit of looking around (and staying away from Sidi this time since I don't like the Lorica over leather), I have decided on these - Alpinestars Supertech R

6965407036_290bc7863f.jpg

Hopefully they'll be as comfortable and work as well as they're supposed to. I like how they have a lot less stuff on the exterior (especially compared to any Sidi, and definitely the Vortice) - Some adjuster would here and there catch on my heel guard. The inner side of the Supertech is very smooth and should get rid of that annoying feature.

Thought I'd share a deal with 2 wheel GAF. High quality gloves (mix of cow leather, kangaroo leather and stingray skin). You can see them HERE. They run for $270 CDN, but the group buy price is $120. I've tried them on and they're insanely comfortable and well made.

You can jump on the group buy here. Despite the pricing model, the dealer has confirmed he'll give the gloves to people for $120. It ends on April 30th.

demented

So I found new bike, it's not what I was looking for but seller is interested in trade and it might happen today, gonna talk over last few details(and try to get it few hundred eur down). Let's hope he doesn't bail out at last minute like other !@#$%s, 4th time's the charm, right? guys? :(

But yeah, it's suzuki gladius, 2009 but almost brand new, will give more details if trade happens, waiting until tomorrow!

I'm officially a 2 wheel GAFer! Bought the FZ6 tonight.

£2,500, 2008, 10,000 miles

Chuffed to bits. Old owners ad pictures, by the time I got home it was dark.

117429108.jpg

117429083.jpg

117429046.jpg

Watevaman

Ok, so my friend bought a Honda 599 and I rode it today. Now, I normally ride a GS500, so this was about double the power and man does it feel like it. It was so responsive, and I honestly don't know how people can recommend a 600 I4 as a first bike to people with no previous knowledge of motorcycles. It just seems like it would get people into trouble, but that's just me.

daw840

Ok, so my friend bought a Honda 599 and I rode it today. Now, I normally ride a GS500, so this was about double the power and man does it feel like it. It was so responsive, and I honestly don't know how people can recommend a 600 I4 as a first bike to people with no previous knowledge of motorcycles. It just seems like it would get people into trouble, but that's just me.

Agreed, a 600 I4 supersport is way, WAY too much bike for a beginner.

Dougald

Congratulations! Just in time for all the rain we've been having in the UK & Ireland!

Seriously, it looks like a great bike and if you are anything like me you'll be out every time there's even a hint of sun this summer.

Congratulations! I love my FZ6 too (an 06).

Congrats! That bike looks fantastic.

Congrats :).
Cheers guys.

Congratulations! Just in time for all the rain we've been having in the UK & Ireland!

Seriously, it looks like a great bike and if you are anything like me you'll be out every time there's even a hint of sun this summer.
Yup, we have had the most miserable few days. I actually have the bike sitting in a friends garage until I can get a cover for it and insurance sorted etc Can't wait to get out and about.

Dougald

Ah yes insurance... as someone who just went through the pain of renewing his insurance, I don't envy you (it doesn't help that most insurers consider my luggage rack in the same league as owning a custom chopper)

Ah yes insurance... as someone who just went through the pain of renewing his insurance, I don't envy you (it doesn't help that most insurers consider my luggage rack in the same league as owning a custom chopper)
Some of the hoops they make you jump through are ridiculous. The guy who checked the bike over with me looked up go compare for a quote on his GSX-R1000... £85!

Granted he's been riding for years, but my god, they might as well not even charge him. I'm looking at around £500.

Dougald

Some of the hoops they make you jump through are ridiculous. The guy who checked the bike over with me looked up go compare for a quote on his GSX-R1000... £85!

Granted he's been riding for years, but my god, they might as well not even charge him. I'm looking at around £500.

Believe my Bonneville was £550 when I was keeping it outside. The strange thing was they wanted £700 when I renewed even though it now lives in a garage! I can recommend Bennetts, they covered me for £400 (which isn't cheap but that's my own fault for not being 25 quite yet), but they included a rear rack and a front screen for free, whereas MCE wanted to charge me an extra £200, which is more than the parts are worth in the first place.

If you buy an alarmed disc lock like a xena or oxford alarmed lock you can get the price down by about £50. Granted that's what the lock costs, but consider it an investment. In fact, I'd give you my Oxford Boss lock if it weren't so broken that it only goes off when it's not moving!

Nice boots!

I don't think I need to replace mine yet. My Sidi's still seem to be doing okay after 7 years. The only wear I see is on the bottom of the nose, from walking.

You know, my Vortices (which I'd been using 2.5 years) were getting beat up! Some toe slider action etc, but over time I found all the little vent switches on the boot stop moving/working. A 30mph high side and this one area just took too much wear I guess. The thing is all Sidi boots now from what I can tell are made entirely of Lorica. My set of Vertigos got scuffed up when I was hit by a car on my GSX-R750, but they were perfectly re-usable. I guess they just wound up sliding around less, or the leather held up better. All the adjusters and crap on the outside of the boots would catch my heel guards, too (and they can never fit a suit inside comfortably). I'm looking forward to this new pair...

Duderz

Banned
Thought this was too funny not to share:

Man Sues BMW After Motorcycle Gives Him An Erection That Won’t Go Away
While an extended state of arousal after a motorcycle ride might sound like typical rhetoric of the two wheel crowd, one man is now suing BMW Motorrad USA and the maker of an aftermarket seat after a motorcycle ride left him with an erection that wouldn't go away.

The California man is claiming that a BMW motorcycle and a dealer installed custom seat are responsible for causing priapism—which thanks to a seemingly endless supply of TV advertisements for erectile dysfunction pills we all know is an erection lasting four hours or longer.

Clearly the Beemer owner doesn't find this issue to be a laughing matter, the suit filed in the Superior Court of San Francisco County this past week seeks damages for lost wages, personal injury, medical expenses, product liability, and negligent infliction of emotional distress.

Rather than make tasteless jokes at the expense of this BMW owner we'll include an excerpt of the complaint and leave the rest to you—

"Plaintiff was riding his 1993 BMW motorcycle equipped with a Corbin-Pacific seat. The ride lasted approximately two hours each way to plaintiff's destination, after which plaintiff developed a severe case of priapism (a persistent, lasting erection). Plaintiff alleges that this condition was caused by the ridge-like seat on his motorcycle, negligently designed, manufactured and/or installed by defendants.

"Plaintiff now suffers from priapism (a long lasting erection), and has been experiencing continuing problems since his motorcycle ride. He is now unable to engage in sexual activity, which is causing him substantial emotional and mental anguish. Plaintiff is distraught and distressed because of this. Defendants, and each of them, are liable to plaintiff due [to] their negligent design, manufacture and/or installation of the seat on plaintiff's motorcycle."

http://jalopnik.com/5905926/man-sues-bmw-after-motorcycle-gives-him-an-erection-that-wont-go-away?utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebook&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Haahahhahahahaha

I've gotten wood maybe a couple times while riding if I'm not going too fast, out in the middle of nowhere and my mind starts wandering. It's not cool at all.

any ideas on securing your bike?

Comprehensive insurance coverage (covering theft/vandalism). If you have a garage, use it. Cover it if it's outside. If you live in an apartment complex, don't keep it outside...find somewhere else, because there is a very high chance it'll get stolen.

Az

It's almost impossible to find a decent used Street Triple in Florida. Looking at craigslist for weeks and only saw a newer Speed Triple (which would probably be a bit too much as a starter bike).

iLoveUPS

Neo Member
Comprehensive insurance coverage (covering theft/vandalism). If you have a garage, use it. Cover it if it's outside. If you live in an apartment complex, don't keep it outside...find somewhere else, because there is a very high chance it'll get stolen.

what about for going out and parking?

It's almost impossible to find a decent used Street Triple in Florida. Looking at craigslist for weeks and only saw a newer Speed Triple (which would probably be a bit too much as a starter bike).

Truthfully even a 675 triple is a bit much, though if you've done MSF (I cannot remember your riding history) and are responsible you can certainly make it. I started on a beat up i4 600cc sportbike. The engine wasn't the big deal as I see people who discourage 600s saying SVs are OK. In fact the engines on i4 600s are tame until high RPM, allowing for a somewhat natural learning curve (or for an idiot to get some surprise). The unfriendly ergos take a good while to adjust to. The fact is standards with taller, wider bars and an upright seating position are significantly easier to work with, and the Street Triple should be quite nice to control. Good luck in your hunt.

what about for going out and parking?

Going out? Depends on where you're going. I mean there's always the risk someone will fuck with the bike when you're inside wherever you're at. There are alarm/warning systems that can alert you if people are getting close to the bike or messing with it. I don't know how well they actually work. If you're at a restaurant and you can see outside you could always try to park in view.

I would never take my bike to the movie theater and leave it parked in a huge lot and let it sit for a couple hours. Bad idea.

Going out? Depends on where you're going. I mean there's always the risk someone will fuck with the bike when you're inside wherever you're at. There are alarm/warning systems that can alert you if people are getting close to the bike or messing with it. I don't know how well they actually work. If you're at a restaurant and you can see outside you could always try to park in view.

I would never take my bike to the movie theater and leave it parked in a huge lot and let it sit for a couple hours. Bad idea.

Yeah, that's the major downside of owning a beautiful bike. Can't leave it anywhere. Hell, I haven't actually been able to use my bike for the last two years cause I had to store it at my parents' place.

Maybe it's better to just get something that isn't so expensive. Perhaps that way you'd be able to enjoy it without being worried sick if it leaves your sight for a minute.

Very nice.

I'm somewhat mystified that Suzuki made such a good looking bike and only sold it here in the U.S. for one year. It seems the only "standard" they offer now that is not more of a dual sport is the Bandit 1250 o_0

Must be the US market. They still sell the Gladius in Canada and that seems to be the trend with Naked/Standard bikes. My assumption would be that the market is geared towards touring and sport bikes in the US.

8vgdU.jpg

Messing around with a Husky... I think I need one :)
I've always loved the idea of riding off road. Seems like other than tracks though there isn't a great deal of places to go in NI. Which is somewhat Ironic given that most of the place is green!

Picked up the helmet today. Insurance starts tomorrow, so going to collect the bike from where it's currently being stored at 8PM. Can't wait to get out on it. Going to be a long 24 hours.

My nephew rocking the helmet... AGV S-4 SV

So I'm on business in southern Indiana until the fall and the place is absolutely gorgeous for riding. I haven't had a bike since I lived in Birmingham, AL and moved to downtown Cleveland, but now I suddenly have the itch again.

Now here's my problem. I really can't stand the idea of riding a Harley, if only because I don't want to be associated with the reputation Harley riders have for being obnoxious twits, but I'll be damned if the Iron 883 isn't the sexiest bike I've seen in a long time.

Cpj9o.jpg

Two questions:

1) Am I a bad person for wanting a Harley?

2) It's a new bike so it's really too expensive for what would ultimately be one full summer/fall of riding then only occasional riding once I finish my stint here and go back to Cleveland. Anyone know of some older bikes that have a similar look? I've been considering older Harley sportsters but they're a) not quite what I'm looking for and b) if I'm going to go with a Harley it had better be exactly what I'm looking for.

Basically I love riding but I've never been a big bike aficionado--I have no idea what I'm looking for.

daw840

So I'm on business in southern Indiana until the fall and the place is absolutely gorgeous for riding. I haven't had a bike since I lived in Birmingham, AL and moved to downtown Cleveland, but now I suddenly have the itch again.

Now here's my problem. I really can't stand the idea of riding a Harley, if only because I don't want to be associated with the reputation Harley riders have for being obnoxious twits, but I'll be damned if the Iron 883 isn't the sexiest bike I've seen in a long time.

Cpj9o.jpg

Two questions:

1) Am I a bad person for wanting a Harley?

2) It's a new bike so it's really too expensive for what would ultimately be one full summer/fall of riding then only occasional riding once I finish my stint here and go back to Cleveland. Anyone know of some older bikes that have a similar look? I've been considering older Harley sportsters but they're a) not quite what I'm looking for and b) if I'm going to go with a Harley it had better be exactly what I'm looking for.

Basically I love riding but I've never been a big bike aficionado--I have no idea what I'm looking for.

1.) Yes, you're a terrible person for wanting a Harley. Look at Victory, a much better American bike.

2.) Would be kind of a waste to buy a new bike for just that little riding. Why couldn't you ride back in Cleveland? Anyways, you could look for an early 2000s Metric Cruiser that's been bobbed or something. I've seen a lot of cool looking custom Metrics for cheap as hell. Might not have the longevity of a newer bike, but hell you don't sound like you'd need longevity.

1.) Yes, you're a terrible person for wanting a Harley. Look at Victory, a much better American bike.

2.) Would be kind of a waste to buy a new bike for just that little riding. Why couldn't you ride back in Cleveland? Anyways, you could look for an early 2000s Metric Cruiser that's been bobbed or something. I've seen a lot of cool looking custom Metrics for cheap as hell. Might not have the longevity of a newer bike, but hell you don't sound like you'd need longevity.

Victory Highball with lowered handlebars. So good.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Gonna take the motorcycle written exam in a couple weeks. Any tips I should know about?

Also reserved my seat for the hands on motorcycle course but it begins at the end of the month.

Top Bottom