• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

daw840

I've never liked the high bar look. I'm also 5'5", so the idea of having my arms up that high isn't very appealing.

Posting deleted.

Gah, I bet someone snatched it up quick then. I can't upload a pic but I still have it cached in my browser here at work. It was flat black and said "Ratty" on the side. Looked really cool.

"have a 99 Vulcan 750 that has been bobbed out. 16k miles, fresh rebuild and tune up, and dyno. Custom seat, custom drag pipes with header wrap and chrome tips, license plate relocated with built in brake light, etc. Asking 2500 obo. May trade. You can call or text 913-406-3807. Thanks"

My 2nd Gixxer!

422912_10150560617828277_553073276_9143235_1906666_n.jpg

1.) Yes, you're a terrible person for wanting a Harley. Look at Victory, a much better American bike.

Okay. :(

2.) Would be kind of a waste to buy a new bike for just that little riding. Why couldn't you ride back in Cleveland? Anyways, you could look for an early 2000s Metric Cruiser that's been bobbed or something. I've seen a lot of cool looking custom Metrics for cheap as hell. Might not have the longevity of a newer bike, but hell you don't sound like you'd need longevity.

Yeah I wouldn't want to buy a new bike, that's why I'm looking for something comparable that's a little older. And it's not that I can't ride in Cleveland it's that it isn't terribly worth it since I lived in Ohio City, which is smack dab in the middle of 10 miles of potholes and unsyncronized traffic lights. My place now is a little further out from town so I'm closer to the curvy roads in the parks (I'm sure that would mean more if you knew Cleveland, so nevermind the details) so it might be more fun next year.

Longevity is a maybe, I like what I own to be solidly built but I'm also a pretty decent mechanic so anything I own I'll be able to maintain. What I don't want are bits and pieces that rattle, shake or pop out of place.

I've never even heard of Metric cruisers and can't find anything decent on them. Is it just a style of bike or a specific brand?

TheNiX said:
Victory Highball with lowered handlebars. So good.
I'll give them a look, thanks.

Edit: Yeah damn, definitely need the lowered handlebars.

Edit the second: Expensive and a bit too long for my taste.

daw840

Don't be sad, there are a lot of terrible people out there who ride Harleys.

I hope you know I'm joking, I give all my HD friends copious amounts of shit

Yeah I wouldn't want to buy a new bike, that's why I'm looking for something comparable that's a little older. And it's not that I can't ride in Cleveland it's that it isn't terribly worth it since I lived in Ohio City, which is smack dab in the middle of 10 miles of potholes and unsyncronized traffic lights. My place now is a little further out from town so I'm closer to the curvy roads in the parks (I'm sure that would mean more if you knew Cleveland, so nevermind the details) so it might be more fun next year.

Longevity is a maybe, I like what I own to be solidly built but I'm also a pretty decent mechanic so anything I own I'll be able to maintain. What I don't want are bits and pieces that rattle, shake or pop out of place.

I've never even heard of Metric cruisers and can't find anything decent on them. Is it just a style of bike or a specific brand?

Metric cruisers are all of the Japanese bikes that try to look like Harleys (Honda Shadow, Yamaha V-Star, etc.). They are a lot cheaper and generally more reliable. They won't have the HD sound though, and won't be heavy as shit either.

I'll give them a look, thanks.

Edit: Yeah damn, definitely need the lowered handlebars.

Edit the second: Expensive and a bit too long for my taste.

Yes, expensive. No DON"T LOWER THEM DAMN IT!!!

Metric cruisers are all of the Japanese bikes that try to look like Harleys (Honda Shadow, Yamaha V-Star, etc.). They are a lot cheaper and generally more reliable. They won't have the HD sound though, and won't be heavy as shit either.

Neither the weight or the sound are a problem, though a decently muffled iron 883 actually sounds pretty good. I'll take a peak at some of the metrics then.

embalm

I have to get pictures of my two tone '98 Honda Shadow Aero 1100. It's the largest bike I've ever owned by far and I haven't gotten back on it since we slipped on some gravel last year and took a dive. No damage to the bike thank god, but my ankle is scarred for life and bruised pride is always slow to heal.

Some great bikes in here

Gonna take the motorcycle written exam in a couple weeks. Any tips I should know about?

Also reserved my seat for the hands on motorcycle course but it begins at the end of the month.

The written test is easy, the performance test can be hard. But unless they changed the laws since I took it, your Basic Rider Course will count for the performance test. This helps a lot when you have to do figure 8's etc. Tough when you are just starting.

The written test is easy, the performance test can be hard. But unless they changed the laws since I took it, your Basic Rider Course will count for the performance test. This helps a lot when you have to do figure 8's etc. Tough when you are just starting.

Yeah, there's actually some fairly difficult maneuvering that you have to do in a painted box. I definitely appreciated being able to do it on one of the small ass 250cc bikes at the class rather than at the DMV.

Gah! Why lower them?!? They are awesome the way they are!!!!!

Lower does looks better.

1) Am I a bad person for wanting a Harley?

2) It's a new bike so it's really too expensive for what would ultimately be one full summer/fall of riding then only occasional riding once I finish my stint here and go back to Cleveland. Anyone know of some older bikes that have a similar look? I've been considering older Harley sportsters but they're a) not quite what I'm looking for and b) if I'm going to go with a Harley it had better be exactly what I'm looking for.

Basically I love riding but I've never been a big bike aficionado--I have no idea what I'm looking for.

Nothing wrong with a Harley, if it's the right kind of Harley (stripped down, clean looking, short bars, big rear wheel, not too ridiculously long forks). Kind of like that 883, though the problem is that's a little watered down. Doesn't have the gearbox sitting independent from the rest of the engine, for instance.

Just thought I'd try and get a few opinions on helmet fitting out of interest.

I just bought the AGV S-4 SV sized small. Now I ordered online and decided small would be fine based on helmets I wore when learning. I wore a few different brands and always wore small.

I've watched a few videos on fitting, and trying some of the tests they suggest I find many of them are fine but a few aren't.

How have you guys found fitting helmets. Have you managed to find a helmet that passes ever test?

Just thought I'd try and get a few opinions on helmet fitting out of interest.

I just bought the AGV S-4 SV sized small. Now I ordered online and decided small would be fine based on helmets I wore when learning. I wore a few different brands and always wore small.

I've watched a few videos on fitting, and trying some of the tests they suggest I find many of them are fine but a few aren't.

How have you guys found fitting helmets. Have you managed to find a helmet that passes ever test?

Fitting helmets for me is a pain in the fucking ass. I have a head size in between medium and large...though probably a little closer to large. That's just one part. The more annoying factor is your head shape. There are many fine helmets out there I cannot wear because the internal shape doesn't fit me. I have a somewhat narrow head (not neutral, and definitely not round). My current lid fits me about as perfectly as I think a helmet can. It passes all the fit tests and once I slide/squeeze it all the way on and have it in place it does not move. The thing is my helmet before it (Shoei X-Twelve) was nicer to wear (better aerodynamics), but the fit has a little too much room up front. This one vents very well, though for all the chatter about Arai quality I am not impressed with the bizarre cheek pad system and glued on neck roll.

Arai Profile

6745815543_442042f2bb.jpg

Damaged

Well the Dorsoduro is in for more warranty work (corrosion is a killer) and the dealer has lent me this to have a play with today :)

Wirral-20120501-00007.jpg

Its the 1200cc version of my bike but with traction control and ABS fitted, so for I'm not too keen, other than the awesome noise it makes. The engine is decent enough but doesn't have the edge that the 750 has, just feels like its missing something under acceleration. The ABS is a bit weird as well, just doesn't give me the feel I want on the front brakes though ill admit that just may be me not used to it.

Well the Dorsoduro is in for more warranty work (corrosion is a killer) and the dealer has lent me this to have a play with today :)

Wirral-20120501-00007.jpg

Its the 1200cc version of my bike but with traction control and ABS fitted, so for I'm not too keen, other than the awesome noise it makes. The engine is decent enough but doesn't have the edge that the 750 has, just feels like its missing something under acceleration. The ABS is a bit weird as well, just doesn't give me the feel I want on the front brakes though ill admit that just may be me not used to it.

You shouldn't feel anything different in the brakes until the ABS actually kicks in. Perhaps they haven't been run in properly?

As for the corrosion, what happened to your bike? Took it out in the salt or something?

Damaged

You shouldn't feel anything different in the brakes until the ABS actually kicks in. Perhaps they haven't been run in properly?

As for the corrosion, what happened to your bike? Took it out in the salt or something?

Yeah probably not run in yet, the bike is pretty much brand new.

Yeah I'm riding the dorso about 100 miles everyday so was out all winter on it. Argued with Aprilia and they are replacing the corroded parts even though I have done nearly 14,000 miles this year :)

No wonder your bike is suffering from corrosion then :D. Surprising they're actually fixing it. Usually it's not so hard to place the blame for that squarely on the person who rides an Italian bike through the miseries of winter.

Wouldn't you rather just buy a 20 year old BMW for those two months?

Damaged

No wonder your bike is suffering from corrosion then :D. Surprising they're actually fixing it. Usually it's not so hard to place the blame for that squarely on the person who rides an Italian bike through the miseries of winter.

Wouldn't you rather just buy a 20 year old BMW for those two months?

lol, yeah I guess I could do that but didn't have the cash this year so was easier to argue with Aprilia and get it sorted under warranty. The corrosion was fairly minimal to be honest but while its in warranty I figured I should try :)

Will probably pick up an old cb500 for winter this year

Fitting helmets for me is a pain in the fucking ass. I have a head size in between medium and large...though probably a little closer to large. That's just one part. The more annoying factor is your head shape. There are many fine helmets out there I cannot wear because the internal shape doesn't fit me. I have a somewhat narrow head (not neutral, and definitely not round). My current lid fits me about as perfectly as I think a helmet can. It passes all the fit tests and once I slide/squeeze it all the way on and have it in place it does not move. The thing is my helmet before it (Shoei X-Twelve) was nicer to wear (better aerodynamics), but the fit has a little too much room up front. This one vents very well, though for all the chatter about Arai quality I am not impressed with the bizarre cheek pad system and glued on neck roll.

Arai Profile
My head is a bit of a weird shape too. The helmet is tight to pull on and off which was supposedly a good sign, as it doesn't just slide on with no resistance. Side to side and back to front movement is minimal. My eye line is centred in the visor. My cheeks move with the padding of the helmet, and I can slightly feel the inside of my cheeks when I make a biting motion. These were all things I have heard from multiple sources are signs of good fit.

The thing that slightly concerned me was that when I put pressure on the back of the helmet, when pushing it forward (with quite a bit of force) it nearly covers my eyes. That's to say if (god forbid) I were to come off and the helmet got caught on the chin guard (forcing it down), the brow of the helmet could nearly touch the bridge of my nose, although the back of my head never becomes exposed.

However, I feel like a smaller size (XS) would just squeeze my eyes out of my head. So I got thinking is there really going to be a helmet that ticks every box? Surely most people, or at least people with weird head shapes, must make some concessions when choosing a helmet.

My head is a bit of a weird shape too. The helmet is tight to pull on and off which was supposedly a good sign, as it doesn't just slide on with no resistance. Side to side and back to front movement is minimal. My eye line is centred in the visor. My cheeks move with the padding of the helmet, and I can slightly feel the inside of my cheeks when I make a biting motion. These were all things I have heard from multiple sources are signs of good fit.

The thing that slightly concerned me was that when I put pressure on the back of the helmet, when pushing it forward (with quite a bit of force) it nearly covers my eyes. That's to say if (god forbid) I were to come off and the helmet got caught on the chin guard (forcing it down), the brow of the helmet could nearly touch the bridge of my nose, although the back of my head never becomes exposed.

However, I feel like a smaller size (XS) would just squeeze my eyes out of my head. So I got thinking is there really going to be a helmet that ticks every box? Surely most people, or at least people with weird head shapes, must make some concessions when choosing a helmet.

It really comes down to whether or not the helmet will protect you when you crash, which means making sure it's going to take a hell of a lot to get that thing dislodged from your head. My helmet has the same issue as yours, but not as severe. If it doesn't come off or spin on your head, you're good. You can attempt changing the cheek pads, but that's a fairly temporary fix.

Yeah....they do.
I'm not entirely convinced that's entirely because it's a Harley. Straight pipes without baffles can convince a lot of people your bike sounds "nice".

I'm not entirely convinced that's entirely because it's a Harley. Straight pipes without baffles can convince a lot of people your bike sounds "nice".

Most bikes do actually sound nice with proper (non-legal) exhaust systems.

The only type of bike I don't much care for is the Japanese chopper imitation. The rest, I pretty much love equally. And some a little more than others.

I could listen to bikes flying past all day.

daw840

Well, while that's true you won't get the authentic HD sound with any other bike. Mainly because the pistons in a HD move almost in unison. Both pistons are up at the same time and down at the same time, unlike other bikes where when one is up the other is down. The downside to this is it makes them vibrate like crazy. Plus, until recently, all of the Sportys had rigid motor mounts, which would transmit that vibration through the entire bike making for a less than comfy ride.

Well, while that's true you won't get the authentic HD sound with any other bike. Mainly because the pistons in a HD move almost in unison. Both pistons are up at the same time and down at the same time, unlike other bikes where when one is up the other is down. The downside to this is it makes them vibrate like crazy. Plus, until recently, all of the Sportys had rigid motor mounts, which would transmit that vibration through the entire bike making for a less than comfy ride.

Fair enough. I've only considered buying one once and that's because the HD dealer was shutting down and all of their stock was 30-50% off.

Collecting the bike in an hour and a half, typical Northern Ireland, the heavens have opened and don't look set to close. I know this is the joys of motorcycle ownership, but I would of liked my first ride out to have been a nice dry one.
LLShC.gif

Collecting the bike in an hour and a half, typical Northern Ireland, the heavens have opened and don't look set to close. I know this is the joys of motorcycle ownership, but I would of liked my first ride out to have been a nice dry one.
LLShC.gif

Just take it as a refresher on wet weather riding. Steady and smooth.

Before my bike got fixed it would stall constantly because the fuel jets were clogged, so I never got a good ride in. My brother sold his truck, so I had to ride by bike home from his garage. It was about an hour on the highway in the worst rain storm we saw all year. I have no issues riding in the rain now.

Well GAF, collected the bike. First time properly riding since I passed my test in October 2009 (other than a 2 minute ride on a friends Varadero 125 about a month ago). I treated the bike with all the respect it deserved and found it to be no challenge what so ever. Plenty of power higher up the revs but down low the FZ6 feels very friendly, so a good first bike considering it's a biggy. The Rain stopped so that was nice though the roads were a bit wet. Probably out for an hour altogether of which most of that was dark. Can't wait to get out on a good day!

satriales

I'm hoping to join the 2 wheel club soon. I've booked my CBT and it's at the Top Gear track which is pretty cool.

The plan after that is to get a 125 and gain experience before I take my test and move up to something bigger, but I'll see how the CBT goes and then maybe do a direct access course instead.

So, if you pull down on the chin bar the spot above the visor can cover your eyes? It takes a good bit of force to do this? My last helmet (that I went down with at the track) was a bit like that. That's an internal shape issue I think. It sounds like S is your size. Now it's just about finding that closest-to-ideal head shape. I have not found much in the crown pad department for sizing, it's usually just cheek pad adjustment. Thicker cheek pads can help with that, but it will not eliminate the problem. For what it's worth I did fine, but I cannot guarantee it would work the best in every scenario compared to one that didn't move around like that.

So, if you pull down on the chin bar the spot above the visor can cover your eyes? It takes a good bit of force to do this? My last helmet (that I went down with at the track) was a bit like that. That's an internal shape issue I think. It sounds like S is your size. Now it's just about finding that closest-to-ideal head shape. I have not found much in the crown pad department for sizing, it's usually just cheek pad adjustment. Thicker cheek pads can help with that, but it will not eliminate the problem. For what it's worth I did fine, but I cannot guarantee it would work the best in every scenario compared to one that didn't move around like that.
Yeah the force I was using was quite significant, a gentle pull wouldn't bring it that far down.

I'm hoping to join the 2 wheel club soon. I've booked my CBT and it's at the Top Gear track which is pretty cool.

The plan after that is to get a 125 and gain experience before I take my test and move up to something bigger, but I'll see how the CBT goes and then maybe do a direct access course instead.
This sounds amazing. Good luck.

Dougald

For the old school look, I'd get a Triumph

That's a mighty fine suggestion! Of course, I am not biased at all despite owning a Bonneville myself..

Triumph UK are selling their Steve McQueen jackets off for £100, down from £250. I already have three bike jackets though so I really can't justify another...

//B1G

Banned
I was coasting down this really steep/rocky mountain trail riding the brakes when my front tire got crossed up when it bounced into a rut. It threw me off the bike and I guess my palm landed on a fairly sharp rock as I caught myself; all of a sudden my hand's super warm, I look down and it's just spewing blood everywhere -- not only blub-blubbing out because I hit something major, but also spraying due to the fact I managed to sever an artery as well. Also got a few tendons! Sick.
I honestly didn't think I'd make it back out of the desert at the rate it was bleeding. I had about a half mile to walk before I was back at a main road. Luckily though I'm healthy and it coagulated really quickly. It was weird, even the blood coming off me was thickening and by the time I got picked up there were two huge drops hanging off the side of my palm like icicles.
And hand injuries are the absolute worst, let me tell you. There are so many nerve endings and all kinds of sensitive things in there that this has been some of the worst pain of my life... and I've done some serious harm to my body before this. I was getting Dilaudid IV'd as often as they could give it to me while in the hospital.

Pretty shitty overall.
0/10

h7N3u.jpg

I'll plead the fifth on that one :/

And it issss painful. It especially sucks because it's my dominant hand. Doing anything is super tedious now,

Your member will find new meaning with the non-dominant hand...

On a serious note, check out some Held or Knox gloves (they have varying levels of protection/price points).

Glad you're ok. Gloves are part of the essentials. Think of the rocks that crack people's windshields and now imagine that hitting your bare knuckles. That's reason enough for me to wear gloves.

Also, should have jumped on the group buy I posted earlier. Damn nice gloves for a steal.

//B1G

Banned
I bet you got some rockin pain meds though!

Of course. I've got a triple stacker sitting next to me right now waiting to get thrown down the hatch :p
Not to mention getting IV'd dilaudid every 4 hours when I was in!

Oh and I've got gloves now btw, I actually had them ordered but they didn't get in until after my accident. My luck.

Anybody ever removed decals using a hair dryer and de-slov-it / goo gone? I have a few FZ6 decals and the wear your helmet / only use petrol blah blah blah decals I want to remove.

Top Bottom