• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Flo_Evans

ugh fallout you are not helping my desire to get another monster!

I think you should take off the "windscreen" though. I never understood why they put those totally non-functional things on a monster.

ugh fallout you are not helping my desire to get another monster!

Hehe, at your service :p.

I think you should take off the "windscreen" though. I never understood why they put those totally non-functional things on a monster.

Actually, you'd be surprised how much that thing helps. I was out riding with my girlfriend, her family and one of my friends this weekend. My brother in law (I'm not married, but you know) just got his license and he could take a BMW 1200GS for an extended test drive. So we used that as an excuse for a little trip up north. I'm not a huge fan of big, heavy bikes like that, but his dad and himself got it in their heads that bigger is better. I'm more of the opinion that a bike needs to be as light as it can possibly be, but you know, to each his own.

Anyway, we switched bikes halfway there, so I had a little seat time on the 1200GS. It felt exactly the same as the R1200RT my father in law had before he went all out on that straight six 1600GT. It's a bit heavy, but once you get it up to speed it feels nimble enough. But the fucking wind drove me absolutely crazy. The big windshield was just high enough to create massive turbulence around my head. Terrible.

By comparison my own Monster felt like I didn't have to battle any wind at all. That little shield creates just the right amount of deflection if your riding position is right. It's perfect.

Also, the idea that the big 1200GS would be much more comfortable on long distances... I don't know. My knees and back were not really agreeing with the upright driving position.

So yeah, turns out my 1100 is perfect. Power delivery is about a 100 times more exciting too. The 1200 stars to run out of steam rather quickly.

Flo_Evans

Hehe, at your service :p.

Actually, you'd be surprised how much that thing helps. I was out riding with my girlfriend, her family and one of my friends this weekend. My brother in law (I'm not married, but you know) just got his license and he could take a BMW 1200GS for an extended test drive. So we used that as an excuse for a little trip up north. I'm not a huge fan of big, heavy bikes like that, but his dad and himself got it in their heads that bigger is better. I'm more of the opinion that a bike needs to be as light as it can possibly be, but you know, to each his own.

Anyway, we switched bikes halfway there, so I had a little seat time on the 1200GS. It felt exactly the same as the R1200RT my father in law had before he went all out on that straight six 1600GT. It's a bit heavy, but once you get it up to speed it feels nimble enough. But the fucking wind drove me absolutely crazy. The big windshield was just high enough to create massive turbulence around my head. Terrible.

By comparison my own Monster felt like I didn't have to battle any wind at all. That little shield creates just the right amount of deflection if your riding position is right. It's perfect.

Also, the idea that the big 1200GS would be much more comfortable on long distances... I don't know. My knees and back were not really agreeing with the upright driving position.

So yeah, turns out my 1100 is perfect. Power delivery is about a 100 times more exciting too. The 1200 stars to run out of steam rather quickly.

hmm maybe it was my old one (2002) or my relative riding position but I had much less helmet buffeting after I took it off.

The 1200GS windscreen should be adjustable, was probably not set right for your height.

We had it set as high as it could go. I think it was probably one of the smaller shields BMW provides. Something bigger would solve the problem, no doubt.

So I got a thing!

Brand spankin' new Iron 883!

Everyone who naysayed it is a weinie. Felt great riding it even with my 6' frame and just put a smile on my face the whole way back home plus another half hour's worth of dawdling around before it got too cold.

But that break-in period, no being a ham-fisted idiot for another 450 miles, torture.

daw840

So I got a thing!

Brand spankin' new Iron 883!

Everyone who naysayed it is a weinie. Felt great riding it even with my 6' frame and just put a smile on my face the whole way back home plus another half hour's worth of dawdling around before it got too cold.

But that break-in period, no being a ham-fisted idiot for another 450 miles, torture.

Awesome! Congrats on your new garage decoration!

JK, you do need to get the screaming eagle 1200 conversion, some pipes, and forward controls. You will absolutely love it, congrats.

GONZO

Here are the latest pics of my ride. I actually have my first track day of the season coming up at shenandoah this saturday.

DSC00827.jpg

2ac967cd-64e3-4802-a208-560a2bb32522.jpg

Kaze13

I dropped my baby at the parking lot and it has rashes on the right side of the bike now. Feels bad man. Cold tires and overestimated them with a routine move...lol

So I got a thing!

pFDUt.jpg

Awesome, congratulations! I'm jealous :(.

Here are the latest pics of my ride. I actually have my first track day of the season coming up at shenandoah this saturday.

Yes! Another Monster owner, welcome :D. Once you can afford it, I can highly recommend a race ECU and an open exhaust. Not only is the sound great, but it makes it feel like a totally different bike. It runs so much better after. All those emissions restrictions play hell on an engine like that.

I dropped my baby at the parking lot and it has rashes on the right side of the bike now. Feels bad man. Cold tires and overestimated them with a routine move...lol

Sucks. I never fully trust my tires, regardless of circumstance. Seems to work for me :p.

DSC00827.jpg

Lovely.

Shenandoah circuit at Summit Point? If it gets wet I recommend staying in (a couple corners wash out in an odd way and encourage traction breaking heh). I may actually swing by on my ride on Saturday. Which track organization are you with? Xcitement? NESBA? TPM?

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Last night I rode a Harley Davidson Iron 883.

2nd time every riding a Harley. And I liked it. I liked it alot.

I am very, very conflicted. I was going to get a cafe racer/motard type bike. But now....so conflicted.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Awesome! Congrats on your new garage decoration!

JK, you do need to get the screaming eagle 1200 conversion, some pipes, and forward controls. You will absolutely love it, congrats.

I'll have you know I rode it to work in 45 degree weather without any cold weather gear. I'm going to ride the shit out of this thing. Thanks all the same =P

It's cool to know that you can upgrade to the 1200 engine without a huge amount of cost but for right now I'm happy with what I have since I only have a couple of years experience on bikes and am very impulsive when I have lots of power. Best to wait before giving myself more throttle.

Last night I rode a Harley Davidson Iron 883.

2nd time every riding a Harley. And I liked it. I liked it alot.

I am very, very conflicted. I was going to get a cafe racer/motard type bike. But now....so conflicted.

I'm afraid that this is the slippery slope to getting a leather doo rag or something.

Yeah I rode this one on Tuesday and bought it on Wednesday. It rides so well and looks so great that I fell in love with it in an instant. And I have the same reservations as you do--I've always seen Harley riders as really obnoxious and now I'm one of them. Though I swear I must be the only Harley rider in Indiana who wears a helmet, bunch of idiots.

Haha, yeah that's the wrong kind of Harley. Just think 'right kind of Harley' and you'll be fine. Wear a decent helmet, stay far away from that tacky leather fringe nonsense and you're good.

When I bought my bike they gave me a walk around of the shop and showed me all the gear and accessories. I had some trouble telling them politely that I would never be caught dead buying Harley Davidson bar stools and wall clocks for my "man cave".

GONZO

Awesome, congratulations! I'm jealous :(.

Yes! Another Monster owner, welcome :D. Once you can afford it, I can highly recommend a race ECU and an open exhaust. Not only is the sound great, but it makes it feel like a totally different bike. It runs so much better after. All those emissions restrictions play hell on an engine like that.

Sucks. I never fully trust my tires, regardless of circumstance. Seems to work for me :p.

I have an exhaust coming in already as well as a an ECU flash. Been waiting for the exhaust for 9 freaking weeks, it's killing me.

Lovely.

Shenandoah circuit at Summit Point? If it gets wet I recommend staying in (a couple corners wash out in an odd way and encourage traction breaking heh). I may actually swing by on my ride on Saturday. Which track organization are you with? Xcitement? NESBA? TPM?

I ride with TPM. The weather looks to be great! I've had bad experiences with wet weather at track days in the past as well which is why I just don't ride in the wet at all. It's just not worth it since I only have one bike. If I had a track bike that would be different.

I have an exhaust coming in already as well as a an ECU flash. Been waiting for the exhaust for 9 freaking weeks, it's killing me.

Awesome, you'll love it.

When I bought my bike they gave me a walk around of the shop and showed me all the gear and accessories. I had some trouble telling them politely that I would never be caught dead buying Harley Davidson bar stools and wall clocks for my "man cave".

Haha, that's priceless.

Such a shame though, that brand could be cool as hell if they just dropped all the dead weight kitsch.

daw840

Awesome, you'll love it.

Haha, that's priceless.

Such a shame though, that brand could be cool as hell if they just dropped all the dead weight kitsch.

I mean, it's not their fault really. A clothing company decided to build motorcycles! What did you expect?

Goodbye motorcycle dream of summer 2012 :( Decided it's in my best interest not to buy my next bike right now. Hopefully this pays off when they have sales in the fall/winter.

Watevaman

Looks awesome, great colors, but you gotta remove that fender.

I wonder if any Japanese companies are going to try the Ducati "license plate bracket over real wheel" thing they did with the Diavel.

Watevaman

Looks really nice. Any reason you got the 400 versus the 650? I'd love to hear how it compares to other bikes out there, as it doesn't seem like we'll be getting one in the US.

Goodbye motorcycle dream of summer 2012 :( Decided it's in my best interest not to buy my next bike right now. Hopefully this pays off when they have sales in the fall/winter.

Sucks to wait, but it's definitely easier to find deals late in the season or off-season.

Fiancee picked it up with 0 miles on it yesterday.

It's a beauty!

Nice! I'm a fan of Yamaha white/red ;)

Interesting gloves...

What a day! Finally got my bike, snapped a few quick pics.

Great bike! I've ridden a number of these and they always seem to leave a good impression. Very nice street bikes.

ravien56

I ended up getting the 400 instead of the 650, for a few reasons. I originally planned on getting either a ninja250 or cbr250. I had a 150cc scooter, and I thought the 100cc upgrade wouldn’t be enough and after riding my dads Yamaha FZ6, which I found to be a amazing ride, I decided to look for a 600 new. The 400 ended up being about 2k more than the 250ninja, so I could afford the upgrade, but to upgrade again to the 650 ninja, I would need a additional $2000, along with shitty insurance in Canada for anything over 400cc, the 400 made the most sense to me. I will end up trading in or selling the ninja400 in a couple of years, but this should be a good starter bike, as I’ve read and heard a few people who ended up starting on a 600cc bike and just crashing it because they couldn’t handle it.

I only have rode it for a couple hours now, and still dealing with the break-in period , so I haven’t been able to push it too much, but I’m loving it. Has enough weight to be stable, I wish it had a little more torque during the mid range, breaks seem fine and it’s easy to turn with it, haven’t had any problems moving it like my dad’s bike. Ill post more impressions and pics sometime this weekend.

LuCkymoON

Banned
I just finished the first ride portion of a local motorcycle class. Now I can see why you guys ride, it was absolutely exhilarating! The best thing of all, no one fell and no one got kicked out.:D:
I need to work on shifting into second gear!
Any advice?

daw840

I just finished the first ride portion of a local motorcycle class. Now I can see why you guys ride, it was absolutely exhilarating! The best thing of all, no one fell and no one got kicked out.:D:
I need to work on shifting into second gear!
Any advice?

Just jam it up there!

Duderz

Banned
Dt5Jq.jpg

Taken last weekend while going on a ride with my Dad. Longest one I've ever been on (70+mi), and already looking into taking an interstate trip.

So much fun.

abuC

Im probably going to take a basic rider course this summer, I've tried to stop myself from getting one since I live outside of NYC and people can't drive here for shit, but the call is too strong. Plus, Im selling my car and need something to replace it, I just find myself watching videos of bikes non-stop now.

Dougald

http://i.imgur.com/Dt5Jq.jpg[IMG]

Taken last weekend while going on a ride with my Dad. Longest one I've ever been on (70+mi), and already looking into taking an interstate trip.

So much fun.[/QUOTE]

Looks fantastic! Good to see a nice couple of Triumphs there, scenery looks great too!

We finally had some more normal May weather here in the UK so I've managed to take my Bonneville out more than usual the last few days (after I gave it a clean up from the heavy rain last Monday when I had to pillion a mate 30 miles to pick up his bike). That trip Monday was not fun either, my carbs have a tendency to ice over and stall the engine when it's humid & the bike hasn't fully warmed up yet. I normally add some stuff to the tank when the weather is bad to stop it (Silkolene Pro FST), but I plain forgot about it until I was starting my return trip & the bike died on a roundabout!

Just jam it up there!

Yep! Basically just push, and continue doing so until it has moved up to 2nd past neutral. When you get your own bike and make the shift at higher speeds and you're used to it, it's nothing.

Rode for about 5.5 hours today. Lovely weather. I saw a dead deer wrapped around the base of someone's mailbox. Hope they didn't send the kids to get the mail...

Partway through the ride I swung by the track that's ~55 minutes from me and took these...

7184112502_0a9f2bb0c3_c.jpg

7184113180_7f3b0cdaab_c.jpg

Any guesses?...

7184112888_b7d35635e8_c.jpg

7184113496_0edafc21a0_c.jpg

It's GONZO's :)

Nice guy. Nice bike :p

Watevaman

Is that Shenandoah or maybe Summit Point?

While my GS500 isn't gonna see any trackdays, I hope to bring my next bike up to Summit Point for some stuff. A guy I know and his friend have full race prepped CBR600 and an 848 respectively.

GONZO

Is that Shenandoah or maybe Summit Point?

While my GS500 isn't gonna see any trackdays, I hope to bring my next bike up to Summit Point for some stuff. A guy I know and his friend have full race prepped CBR600 and an 848 respectively.

Yup that was Shenandoah. Nice meeting you Soapster. Turned out to be a great day. My first time at that track. i had a blast, very technical track which suited my bike great. Can't wait to go back there this summer.

//B1G

Banned
I want to get some slicks for my bike so I can take it to an asphalt track. My tires right now are starting to bald so I can ride it like a flat tracker in the desert just whipping it around with the bike at about a 20 degree angle to the ground.
It's craaazy fun doing donuts and slaloming all around just barely still in control with the bike so low the tank's about level with the middle of my shin, my shoe skimming across the dirt.
I'd love to do a supermoto conversion and see what I've got in that realm of racing.

Though obviously that was before my injury, but with that said I have been doing a little riding again; nothing crazy, just little short rides around my neighborhood. It still hurts a bit to pull in the clutch, but it's almost all the way healed on the inside and I'd say within a week I should be good to go! It's amazing how fast the body recovers.

Top Bottom