• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Quick question. How important is it to put an alarm in your motorcycle? I recently purchased full coverage with Geico but was still wondering if purchasing an alarm was worth it. I just really want to save some money and be able to buy a new exhaust with the money I would save with the alarm and installation. Thanks in advance.

Quick question. How important is it to put an alarm in your motorcycle? I recently purchased full coverage with Geico but was still wondering if purchasing an alarm was worth it. I just really want to save some money and be able to buy a new exhaust with the money I would save with the alarm and installation. Thanks in advance.

How much is your bike worth/how much is your coverage?

Do you guys think these boots offer enough protection? http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-fulcrum-boots

I tried on maybe 4 or 5 models of race-style boots and they didn't fit very well (my feet can be finnicky). These Dainese however felt great. But now I'm wondering if they won't offer enough protection in a crash, and if I should just continue looking and return these. Any thoughts?

Also sorry for spamming the thread. :D

Do you park your bike in a garage? I've never had any on mine and haven't had any issues.

Do you guys think these boots offer enough protection? http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-fulcrum-boots

I tried on maybe 4 or 5 models of race-style boots and they didn't fit very well (my feet can be finnicky). These Dainese however felt great. But now I'm wondering if they won't offer enough protection in a crash, and if I should just continue looking and return these. Any thoughts?

No experience on those, but if you can try out some Sidi boots. Those are my fav by far.

iamblades

Dainese makes some of the best quality gear around, though I have no experience with those particular boots. One thing to note is that most gore-tex boots can get a bit hot and sweaty in the summer.

Those are street boots, which obviously won't give you the protection a race boot will, but a street boot you wear is much better protection than a race boot you don't because it is too uncomfortable(which any real race boot will be when you are off the bike, they are designed for that one application, not for walking around). You can almost always get more protection, but if it isn't practical for you to use in your everyday life, what good does it do you?

Street boots like that offer enough protection for most lowsides and low speed peg strikes, and if you high side, even full motoGP level race boots aren't a guarantee. Maybe save up for another set of boots for when you don't need to be walking around, or buy the race boots and carry around a pair of tennis shoes in a tank bag.

Also worth noting that you really need to be trying out motorcycle boots (especially race boots, also applies to leathers and such as well) in your riding position, as I mentioned above, that is what they are designed for. Putting them on standing upright and walking around a shop tells you nothing about how they will be in actual use.

I tried some Sidi and Alpinestars, but they just didn't fit right. I was in between sizes. I think my right foot is a slight bit wider or thicker or something than my left foot (if that's not too grotesque to disclose). I'm sure there's a pair out there somewhere though that will work.

Dainese makes some of the best quality gear around, though I have no experience with those particular boots. One thing to note is that most gore-tex boots can get a bit hot and sweaty in the summer.

Those are street boots, which obviously won't give you the protection a race boot will, but a street boot you wear is much better protection than a race boot you don't because it is too uncomfortable(which any real race boot will be when you are off the bike, they are designed for that one application, not for walking around). You can almost always get more protection, but if it isn't practical for you to use in your everyday life, what good does it do you?

Street boots like that offer enough protection for most lowsides and low speed peg strikes, and if you high side, even full motoGP level race boots aren't a guarantee. Maybe save up for another set of boots for when you don't need to be walking around, or buy the race boots and carry around a pair of tennis shoes in a tank bag.

Also worth noting that you really need to be trying out motorcycle boots (especially race boots, also applies to leathers and such as well) in your riding position, as I mentioned above, that is what they are designed for. Putting them on standing upright and walking around a shop tells you nothing about how they will be in actual use.

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to follow your advice. I'll keep these (they fit *so* well), and at some point I'll probably get a second pair for different uses. I tested the boots while seated, which is as close as I could get to being on a bike in the store.

Dougald

I just have an alarmed disc lock on my front disc, never bothered with a full alarm. It's cheaper and does have the advantage that someone can't just wheel it into a Van..

But then, I take the view that if someone wants to nick my bike, they probably will. A disc lock just makes it less desirable to steal than the bike it's parked next to.

Az

I was looking at this bobber for cheap on craigslist. Man would I love to have one but cannot get myself to buy it due to having a kid on the way. It's sooo cool though :/

Qwell

So I had something strange happen to me this morning. I have a 2002 Vstrom 1000 and on the way into work I stopped to get bagels. Get back on the bike and start it up, and during the crank I see the gauges reset (tac and speedo go full end to end) and my clock resets back to 1:00.

I have definitely had electrical issues in the past (currently have an issue that pops up every once in a blue moon where after about a 30+ minute ride my bike will start stalling every time I pull the clutch in) but I know my battery connections are good. I do run a power commander III and the leads sit on top of the battery terminal leads and not in between.

Anyhoo, I have finally been riding a lot more lately, I haven't even turned my car on over a week and its been great.

Vereataes

Neo Member
Long time lurker, but proud 2 wheel owner.

I had my last bike stolen and crashed on me while recovering from surgery (VFR400R3 (NC30)....loved that bike :( ) so with my next one, I basically upped the security to make it as annoying as possible for a thief. So an alarm is a good idea in my opinion, but just like all security devices, they are just there to make it look more annoying to the potential thief.

My new bike is an 08 SV650S Fully faired which is a great bike to ride. I commute on it about 20 miles a day in London traffic sot he low end torque is great. I'm also 6'1 and find it extremely comfortable (except for the stock seat). The most I've ridden on it is for 5 hours straight, with a couple 5 min stops, and the only bad thing was a sore ass....again...the seat.

Anyway, as far as security, I have a 19mm Almax chain, a 15mm Chain, disk lock and Meta alarm and immobiliser. I'm hoping that all that is too annoying to deal with.

also, embarrassingly, due to being so tired one night this week, I decided to start filling up with ultimate diesel instead.... :(

Luckily I was close to home and realised before starting the engine, so after pushing it about a mile home, I have the job of draining the tank over the weekend and hoping I haven't f'd the injectors.

I was just riding home from a friend's about 20 minutes ago and it started to rain. It got really heavy and of course I got grumpy because I don't like the bike getting wet.

So there I was coming down the road, when the car in front starts to ease on the brakes and I follow suit (I was pretty far behind him). He was right beside a right hand turn but wasn't signalling. I assumed he was turning anyway as there was no other obvious reason for him to be slowing. Then he seemingly slammed on the brakes. I started to brake hard, then even harder as I wasn't for slowing fast enough. However, being as wet as it was, the back wheel locked up and the back end started sliding all over the place. I eased off the back brake, got a bit of grip on the road and barely managed get round the car (which was now stationary) and pull over further up the road.

The guy was very apologetic and said he was having car trouble and his brakes were locking (I can only take his word). He repeatedly apologised and asked if I was okay. I was, so let him know as much and off I went. Pretty fucking scary. Had the wheel not of got the grip back when it did there was no doubt I was sliding in to him and would have been seriously injured.

Dougald

Man that sounds rough, glad you're ok. The best thing to do with this sort of thing is just chalk it up to a learning experience (I always say, when I'm on the bike it doesn't matter whose fault it is, I'm the one who'll be sliding down the road). When it's wet on the road, things are even worse, especially as every white van seems to leak more diesel onto the road than the engine uses.

I had something very similar happen to me and since then I've sworn off the back brake for everything except when I'm stopped at the lights. Mine only seems to have two settings when the bike is moving: do nothing, or lock the back wheel. I've had a few other "near misses" (though nothing anywhere near as close) since then, and have never had my back wheel go out a second time

1-UP

Banned
I just sold my bike and bought the new Husaberg TE 300 2013. Husaberg will deliver the bike to my home the last week of september. I can't wait to get out in the woods.

a46u8y.png

I'm think of selling my 93 Shadow VLX for something like a Honda XR650L or KTM LC4 640 (both street legal). I haven't ridden a dirt bike of any kind since I sold my XR400R which was my first motorcycle 3 or 4 years ago.

What can I expect comfort wise and stability wise on something like a 30-60 minute ride on my daily commute to school? When I did ride XR400 it was usually short rides in the hills, so I have no idea what it would be like on highways and 45mph roads.

My end goal is to get a single motorcycle that's $2500-ish that I can ride in the hills, but will commute also. What bikes would GAF consider?

1-UP

Banned
I had not heard of the brand before, but I see they are KTM-owned...must be good, then! :)

The Swedish brand Husaberg was purchased by the Austrian motorcycle manufacturer KTM in 1995. Although Husaberg motorcycles have been produced at the KTM factory in Mattighofen, Austria since 2003, and the development department is also at KTM in Mattighofen, the Motorsport department remains in Sweden.

The Husaberg TE 300 is based on the KTM EXC 300 but with better EFI, suspension and a bump in overall power.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did that run you?

The equivalent to $13.000.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I'm think of selling my 93 Shadow VLX for something like a Honda XR650L or KTM LC4 640 (both street legal). I haven't ridden a dirt bike of any kind since I sold my XR400R which was my first motorcycle 3 or 4 years ago.

What can I expect comfort wise and stability wise on something like a 30-60 minute ride on my daily commute to school? When I did ride XR400 it was usually short rides in the hills, so I have no idea what it would be like on highways and 45mph roads.

My end goal is to get a single motorcycle that's $2500-ish that I can ride in the hills, but will commute also. What bikes would GAF consider?
Seconded

Sarcasm

Just had my first slide action go on. complete 180..didn't fall but I did not do this on purpose. I was also going under 10 KM...totally freaky.

Damaged

Owned a supermoto spec 640 ktm since 2003 and much though I love it if wouldn't use it as a daily runner purely on the service intervals, valve clearances every 3000 miles adds up pretty fast. Don't get me wrong its a great bike and revs really well for a single. Comfort wise the supermoto will make your bum numb after 60 miles from engine vibration.

Flo_Evans

I just sold my bike and bought the new Husaberg TE 300 2013. Husaberg will deliver the bike to my home the last week of september. I can't wait to get out in the woods.

a46u8y.png

Mmmmmmmm.

Husaberg. Nice. One of my friends has one, thing is absolutely SICK. When a normal KTM isn't fast enough :)

Flo_Evans

The Honda will be cheaper to run, and easier to get parts for. KTM will be faster and have better suspension & components.

As for comfort, both will produce some significant vibrations being large single cylinder bikes. This can be somewhat negated with a nice seat and comfy grips/gloves.

They both should be relatively stable, but will feel VERY different from a big twin cruiser on the highway. Allot of it will have to do with tire choice, you have to decide if you want to sacrifice road grip/smoothness vs. off road ability. If you ever go over to advrider.com you will find endless debate on this.

Ideally you would have I set of off road tires and a 2nd set of rims with street tires. Since I don't commute, I tend to go more towards off road tires and just deal with it on the street.

Dougald

I have a bit of a dilemma... a friend of mine is moving to Australia which means he is selling his ex-GB police ST1100 Pan European. I'm actually selling my car due to change in circumstances (no longer need it to commute as I'm moving much closer to the office, the other half has a car of her own), but the temptation to buy the Pan off him is pretty high, if only so I have a better touring bike to take the missus away.

He'd give me a decent deal on it I'm sure, but I have no idea whether I should take him up on the offer, what do you guys think? It's a nice looking bike, but I'm just conscious that I may not use it enough to make it viable, and that I've only been riding bikes (a heavy but not as heavy Bonneville) for a year and a half.

1-UP

Banned
Mmmmmmmm.

Husaberg. Nice. One of my friends has one, thing is absolutely SICK.When a normal KTM isn't fast enough :)

Yep. There's zero lag and no gaps in the power band. Just a brutally hard pull that doesn't stop until I red line (so to speak). A true monster. :)

Anyone in New york going to Kawasaki Sept 13 unveil party?
Debut of 2013 sportbikes to highlight daylong celebration
of motorcycling activities along Broadway from 45th to 47th Street.

IRVINE, Calif. (Aug. 27, 2012)—Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. is going big with its global debut of its 2013 line of iconic Ninja® motorcycles in New York’s Times Square, Sept. 13. The company will stream a live feed of the reveal of their latest motorcycles during the “Ninja Times Square Takeover” from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Kawasaki is planning a two-block display of motorcycles and a celebration that stretches along Broadway from West 45th to West 47th Street. Highlighting the celebration will be music, giveaways, special celebrity guests and the legendary Kawasaki motorcycles that have helped pioneer the modern sportbike since the introduction of the original Ninja more than 25 years ago.

According to Kawasaki’s marketing director, Chris Brull, the new models will be joined by a selection of significant, older models. They will include the original 1984 Ninja as well as the legendary 1973 Z1, hailed as the world’s first “superbike” and the motorcycle that set the stage for an entirely new segment over the next few decades.
He said part of the day’s closing presentation will include the give-away of two new Ninja motorcycles.

Among the scheduled activities—many of which will be shown on a huge screen above the street—are various staged presentations, unique stunt riding exhibitions by former SPEED TV host, Jason Britton, motorcycle drag race instruction from multi-time national champion, Rickey Gadson, and a collection of free activities for individuals and families.

Kawasaki will also park the Monster Energy Kawasaki Racing transporter on Broadway and Ryan Villopoto, the most decorated professional racer of the past few years will be there to sign posters for onlookers. Prior to suffering an injury early this season, he had captured several championships in 2011, including two of the most prestigious on the racing circuit, the FIM World Supercross Championship, and the AMA Motocross Championship.

Brull said this unique model introduction “brings the brand’s core authenticity to a broader audience that will be able to interact with our people, our products and the sport that appeals to more men and women each year.”

The marketing director said the concept of the “Ninja Times Square Takeover” grew from internal discussions seeking different ways to bring the company’s “Let the good times roll™” philosophy to a broader audience.

“Times Square is recognized as the “crossroads of the world,” and we’re thrilled to be able to share our brand of motorcycle enthusiasm with such a large, diverse group of New York residents and visitors,” said Brull.

Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. (KMC) markets and distributes Kawasaki motorcycles, ATVs, Side x Sides, and personal watercraft through a network of more than 1,200 independent retailers, with an additional 7,400 retailers specializing in Kawasaki power products and general purpose engines. KMC and its affiliates employ nearly 3,100 people in the United States, with 300 of them located at KMC’s Irvine, California headquarters.

Kawasaki’s tagline, “Let the good times roll.™”, is recognized worldwide. For five decades, the Kawasaki brand has become synonymous with powerful, stylish and category-leading vehicles. Information about Kawasaki’s complete line of powersports products and Kawasaki affiliates can be found on the Internet at www.kawasaki.com.

Read more: http://blogs.motorcyclistonline.com...f-newest-motorcycles-23993.html#ixzz25Q75MuEu

Tekniqs

Cool. Is that a 600RR? I see what looks like a GoPro mount on the back. Going to post some video? :)

yes sir! it's an 08 graffiti but took off most of the vinyl...looks MUCH cleaner IMO. And..hopefully I can chop together the vids I shot. Sucks cuz two sessions the GoPro "hanged" and wouldn't change modes so I missed out on those. One of those sessions was probably the best one I had all day. There LOTS of crashes though and people running into the dirt. One of the people I was with was involved in a mishap (wasn't his fault at all) and he ended up breaking his collarbone and humerus...sucks!

Flo_Evans

Not exactly 2 wheels but...

went to a BBQ this weekend, my son went nuts over the power wheels this kid had. I was going to wait till he was a bit older, but I found these on Craigslist for $80. Couldn't resist the classic Kawasaki and the HD chopper :)

Flo_Evans

I think I found the dual sport I want. It is a 2002 KTM LC4 640.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=21655722&cat=144&lpid=5&search=

I called the guy today and he said the same stuff that was in the ad, and that the starter motor had gone bad.

What would 2-wheel GAF offer for it? Taking into consideration it needs new tires and starter motor. What should I look for if/when I go look at it?

I'd offer $2k. Actually start at $1800 and walk at 2k. From the description it's sounds like he didn't keep up on maintenance. Shouldn't need an engine rebuild at 18k miles unless you run it into the ground. :p

Tires will run $200-300, depending on style. Starter motor might be tough... $200 at least. Do you have a local KTM dealer? Their parts network is... Poor. You may be ordering online and installing yourself unless you have a good KTM shop around. Does it haves kick starter? It should but I can't see it in the pics. If it will not run from the kick start it may have more problems.

KTM's are awesome, the only hang up is maintenance (valves every 6k IIRC) and parts. If you are handy there are allot of online resources for parts and guides for repairs.

Damaged

I'd offer $2k. Actually start at $1800 and walk at 2k. From the description it's sounds like he didn't keep up on maintenance. Shouldn't need an engine rebuild at 18k miles unless you run it into the ground. :p

Tires will run $200-300, depending on style. Starter motor might be tough... $200 at least. Do you have a local KTM dealer? Their parts network is... Poor. You may be ordering online and installing yourself unless you have a good KTM shop around. Does it haves kick starter? It should but I can't see it in the pics. If it will not run from the kick start it may have more problems.

KTM's are awesome, the only hang up is maintenance (valves every 6k IIRC) and parts. If you are handy there are allot of online resources for parts and guides for repairs.

The only thing that can happen at that sort of mileage is that the nikasil plating in the engine barrel gets scored so will let oil past the piston, this is a bloody expensive job especially if nobody near you does the coating. sadly you cant just bore out the engine and re sleeve it.

If the starter motor is going they can be rebuilt pretty easily with a kit off ebay for about £20 but i would be a bit worried personally. On the 640 LC4 engine there is an auto decompress on the cam which can wear and will eventually stop working, taking the starter motor with it as it cant turn over the engine at full compression. If it needs the new cam its getting into silly money.

Valve clearances need to be done at every 3000 miles according to the service manual but i would happily wait till 4000 / 5000 depending on how hard you ride.

Personally i would walk away from this bike, plenty of KTM's out there so no need to grab what may look like a bargain but is probably a headache down the line

Edit: the kick start should be on the left hand side of the bike ( typical awkward KTM, kicking one of these over with your left leg while your on the bike is a mission in itself), personally wouldn't want to use it long term as it does tend to chew the shaft its mounted on and you will end up with a leg like usain bolt

Yeah, I'm going to pass on that KTM. Sounds like it could end up being way more trouble than it is worth.

I think I will look at 250-400cc bikes for now, so I can justify keeping my Shadow VLX for commuting while keeping an easy to ride dirt bike I can ride in the mountains.

I'm going to look at a TTR 250 in a few hours.

Flo_Evans

Yeah, I'm going to pass on that KTM. Sounds like it could end up being way more trouble than it is worth.

I think I will look at 250-400cc bikes for now, so I can justify keeping my Shadow VLX for commuting while keeping an easy to ride dirt bike I can ride in the mountains.

I'm going to look at a TTR 250 in a few hours.

But you could be part of that exclusive club, owners of european bikes that work on them more than ride them :p

I do remember riding with my brother when he had a 640 adventure. It was always, me:"let's leave at noon." him:"oh just come over I am bleeding my brakes/changing my oil/loctite-ing all my screws/adjusting my chain/rewiring my ignition/adjusting my suspension/cleaning my carbs..."

Basically I'm retarded. Over a week ago I was trying to sync the throttle bodies on my bike. To get everything in place you have to keep pulling shit apart. One of the things I kept moving out of the way was the fuel rail, which has the secondary injectors on it. I realized at some point there are these gaskets on the injectors and that they come off. I realized this because one came off. I was wondering why it sounded like shit when I started it up. Still waiting for the stupid part to come.

On the plus side, today was gorgeous. Friend let me borrow his RC51 for the day, which is -1 in the front, +1 in the rear, Power Commander, pipes, filter, Öhlins suspension. Nice goodies. That's actually a pretty damn fun bike. It doesn't have the power of the R1 for sure but it's very fun to ride, still. Tore up the roads northeast of me, including some in Baltimore. Overall a good day :)

Flo_Evans

Dad and brother husqivarin'

BMW shop owner

Me, doing cone drills

KTM 2 stroke. It broke down of course. Fouled plugs from going to slow. Held up by big GS's of course. ;)

This guy has the same bike as me, but with an extra large tank and rally fairing... Cool but expensive. Also broke down. Overheated and killed battery.

Husky 511. I am liking these more and more. The torque curve is nice. Pulls HARD, and has great suspension. Light and fast.

Flo_Evans

I've got a ton of helmet cam action too. IDK what it is about my helmet cam, but it always looks like you are going super slow lol. Might be the wide angle. Or I was going super slow :p

I've got a ton of helmet cam action too. IDK what it is about my helmet cam, but it always looks like you are going super slow lol. Might be the wide angle. Or I was going super slow :p

What cam are you using? Or which setting?

When I use my GoPro on setting 5 (full 1080p) everything seems to be going faster than it really is...or maybe that's just my perception.

Example video

Just took that last weekend, how fast does it look like I'm riding?

Flo_Evans

What cam are you using? Or which setting?

When I use my GoPro on setting 5 (full 1080p) everything seems to be going faster than it really is...or maybe that's just my perception.

Example video

Just took that last weekend, how fast does it look like I'm riding?

50-60MPH? I use a contour 1080, usually set it @ 720p 30fps. You should aim it down a little so you can see more of the road :)

Are you setting it to 24fps then your editing software bumping it to 30fps?

ah finnaly finished uploading! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQHi-_uev7I 30 minutes! skip to 6:00 to see me eat it on an 125 2 stroke :p

50-60MPH? I use a contour 1080, usually set it @ 720p 30fps. You should aim it down a little so you can see more of the road :)

Are you setting it to 24fps then your editing software bumping it to 30fps?

ah finnaly finished uploading! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQHi-_uev7I 30 minutes! skip to 6:00 to see me eat it on an 125 2 stroke :p

I'll scope it out after work!

The setting on the GoPro is 1080 @ 30fps. I don't do much video editing because rendering on my laptop at home would take hours.

I wish I had the LCD screen for the GoPro, it's damn near impossible to get the right view since I remove the suction mount daily.

Most of the time I was going about 50mph, most corners were between 35-50mph. First time through the pass and the lady following me isn't the most confident rider.

Top Bottom