• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2008 Hockey Videogame Thread (NHL 08 & NHL 2K8 out Sept. 11)

FightyF

Banned
Both games out September 11th!

54lsrrn.jpg

NHL 08
Official Website: http://www.easports.com/nhl08/home.jsp

Basic Information:
Available for PS2, Xbox 360, PS3 and PC
US release date: September 11th, 2007
PAL: September 28, 2007
Developer: EA Canada (?)
Publisher: EA Sports
Genre: Sports
Game Rating: E (Everyone)

Features:
SKILL STICK MOMENTS
The Skill Stick gave you the power to deke the goalie in NHL 07 – now you can own the 1-on-1 matchup and undress opposing defenseman with complete control Use your stick to push the puck into space and walk around your defender. Once you’re all alone in front, improved stick handling and shooting accuracy will give you the toolset to beat your goaltender for that decisive goal.

ON THE FLY AI
Dynamic AI adjusts to your every move both on offense and defense, promising to challenge even the most skilled hockey players. The intelligent CPU scouts your tendencies like a coach and makes the necessary adjustments to shut down your money plays, forcing you to adjust your style of play.

CREATE CUSTOM PLAYS
Take any team into practice mode and train them to run custom rush and in-zone plays in game. Do you want your team to run cycle plays down low? Or feed the point for a one-timer? Record the exact movements of each player in practice mode and watch as your team’s AI executes them in gameplay.

ALL-NEW SKATING ENGINE
New analog speed control of the left stick gives you the variance you need to glide into the zone with control or get a burst of speed to step up on a defender. With new skating animations and responsiveness, you have the control to perform crossovers to maintain speed or carve tight turns for an immediate change in direction.

DEVELOP AHL PLAYERS
29 AHL teams – the top developmental league for the NHL – are exclusively featured and fully playable. Develop your talent with their minor affiliate until you are ready to call them up for the show. Be the GM and manage your team from the ground up while staying under the salary cap.

GOALIE MODE
Take on the hardest job in sports and seize control of your goaltender with a new 3rd person camera. Stack the pads, butterfly and make glove saves with your entire team depending on you.

AUTHENTIC PRESENTATION
From player likeness, to the signature jersey tucks and sock preferences – each athlete is rendered with a meticulous attention to detail to create a truly authentic on-ice experience.

Reviews:
EGM NHL 08 Review: 9, 9, 9.5

Reviews on the Run (G4TV) NHL 08 (+ Very good graphics - Lacking Features 9.5 - 9.0)

IGN Review 360=8.9, PS3=8.6

User made Slider Settings that seem to work well:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7892901&postcount=719

5xpvg9f.jpg

NHL 2K8
Official Website: http://www.2ksports.com/games/nhl2k8/

Basic Information:
Available for PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360 and PS3
US release date: September 11th, 2007
PAL: October 2007
Developer: Kush Games
Publisher: 2K Games
Genre: Sports
Game Rating: E (Everyone)

Features:
* ProStick™ - Puck handle, deke, make spectacular defensive plays and battle for face-offs like never before with FULL 360° analog control of your stick! With hundreds of new animations, ProStick™ gives gamers the ultimate look, feel, and control over their favorite NHL players.
* Superstar Combo Moves - Exploit your opponent's defensive weak spots by executing breathtaking combo moves. Superstar dekes performed by actual NHL players have captured exactly as seen in real life to allow for more exciting breakaways and shootouts!
* All-NEW Face-Off System - Under the supervision of 06 MVP Joe Thornton, a whole new approach to hockey game face-offs places emphasis on timing and strategy. Using the ProStick™, properly position your player's stick to swipe at the puck and win critical late game face-offs. With tie-ups, warns, and toss outs, this is the most in depth face-off system ever.
* All-NEW Goaltending - Goaltending has been completely overhauled with instinctive AI, entirely new animations, and situation specific behaviors. Goaltenders will now come out and challenge, guard the post, perform spectacular butterfly saves, and much more!
* NHL Signature Style - Totally redesigned player models with accurate equipment brands and updated player faces bring you the most realistic hockey game to date. Coupled with an entirely revamped Edit-a-Player mode that allows you to modify every facet of your hockey players' appearance including stick and leg tape patterns!
* Deeper Franchise - THE DEEPEST franchise mode in the business, now complete with realistic CBA features such as waivers, two-way contracts, restricted and unrestricted free agents, and salary cap management. Also including a revamped off-season that boasts a brand new negotiation system, an improved draft, refurbished free agent signing, and an All-NEW player progression system with dynamic player types!
* NHL 2K8 Soundtrack - Featuring Bloc Party, Korn, Quiet Riot, Priestess, Stellastarr, Early Man, Tokyo Police Club, Les Savy Fav and more.
* 2K Sports Online - Now with over 1 MILLION online gamers in the 2K community, go head-to-head against the best players on the planet and enter for your chance to win an ALL NEW Dodge vehicle in the NHL 2K8 Dodge Tourney!

Reviews:

Reviews on the Run (G4TV) NHL 2K8 (+ Rich of features -Cumbersome controls 8.5 - 9.0)

GameSpot: 7.0

Some information on downloading slider settings, and the best one out there atm:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7892300&postcount=713

NOTABLE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE PS3/360 VERSIONS:

NHL 08 (PS3):
-8 players max on one console
-30 fps
-Maximum 6 vs 6 in online console play

NHL 08 (360):
-4 players max on one console
-60 fps
-Maximum 4 vs 4 in online console play

NHL 2K8 (PS3):
-motion controls used for hitting
-60 fps

NHL 2K8 (360):
-custom soundtrack support
-60 fps
-custom reelmaker (replay editing) support

HOW TO UNLOCK THE NEW REEBOK EDGE JERSEYS

NHL 08: Go to "My NHL 08", and then select "RBK Edge", and then input the code: h3oyxpwksf8ibcgt

NHL 2K8: Go to "Features", then "Unlock 2007-2008 Uniforms", then "Enter Password". Enter: S6j83RMk01 (note, the 2nd last digit is a zero, not a capital 'o', plus, it is CaSe SeNsItIVe!)

GAF Online Seasons:

CLICK THE ABOVE BANNER TO BE TAKEN TO THE OFFICIAL 360 NHL 08 LEAGUE THREAD

5040zd4.jpg

CSSer said:
So that makes 9 people for the PS3 league and ParticleReality on the fence

NHL 08 PS3 GAF LEAGUE

PSN -- (GAF ID)

Northeast
MMark01 (The Bookerman) - Montreal Canadiens
PlayerBeyond (CSSer) - Toronto Maple Leafs
MrToughPants (MrToughPants) - Ottawa Senators

Atlantic
LordFarquaad (gcubed) - Philadelphia Flyers

Southeast
Mackaveli (mackaveli) - Atlanta Thrashers
drawp (knee) - Tampa Bay Lightning

Northwest
caldermuyo (calder) - Calgary Flames
snorggy (snorggy) - Edmonton Oilers
lupin23rd (lupin23rd) - Vancouver Canucks

Central

Pacific
homiebear (bran) - Anaheim Ducks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The teams that are left:

Buffalo Sabres
Colorado Avalanche
Washington Capitals
Carolina Hurricanes
Florida Panthers
New York Islanders
St. Louis Blues
Phoenix Coyotes
Anaheim Ducks
San Jose Sharks
Los Angeles Kings
Dallas Stars
Chicago Blackhawks
Detroit Red Wings
Nashville Predators
Columbus Blue Jackets
Minnesota Wild
New Jersey Devils
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Rangers
Boston Bruins
Tampa Bay Lightening

33yiafc.jpg

purgeface said:
NHL2K8 League (360) Team Selection

Northeast
Montreal Canadiens
Buffalo Sabres
Toronto Maple Leafs
Ottawa Senators
Boston Bruins

Atlantic
DenogginizerOS (Denogginizer NC)-New Jersey Devils *?*
Philadelphia Flyers
purgeface (purg3) - Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Rangers
New York Islanders

Southeast
Carolina Hurricanes
ChrisJames (MightBeWrong) - Florida Panthers
Tampa Bay Lightning
Washington Capitals
Atlanta Thrashers

Northwest
Calgary Flames
Colorado Avalanche
Edmonton Oilers
bishoptl (bishGA) - Vancouver Canucks
Minnesota Wild

Central
Chicago Blackhawks
FightyF(TerraRythm) - Detroit Red Wings
Nashville Predators
Columbus Blue Jackets
St. Louis Blues

Pacific
Anaheim Ducks
San Jose Sharks
Los Angeles Kings
Dallas Stars
Phoenix Coyotes

THIS POST IS A WORK IN PROGRESS...

Tiktaalik

Be the GM and manage your team from the ground up while staying under the salary cap.

I forgot about this new facet. Should make being the GM more interesting. Didn't play 07 so I don't know if that was in there.

Edit: my Gamertag is Muonproof btw.

Osorio

After playing the 08 demo so many times I can't wait for the full version to come in the mail. Hopefully the 2k8 demo shows up soon.

Add me too, GT: Chickengrease

Oh shit! Oh shit! Oh Shit!

So how will the jersey code work in 08? Will it be released day 1 or after all the jerseys have been revealed?

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Tiktaalik said:
I forgot about this new facet. Should make being the GM more interesting. Didn't play 07 so I don't know if that was in there.
Yea it was in there and it was awful. They haven't really addressed any fixes to this, so hopefully it's not a train wreck this year

ConsumerSquare said:
Why is Eric Staal on the cover of 08? What the hell?
Cause he knows how to throw one hell of a bachelor party

gt: sefskillz

Tiktaalik

sefskillz said:
Yea it was in there and it was awful. They haven't really addressed any fixes to this, so hopefully it's not a train wreck this year

Ahhh crappy. In what way was it awful?

ghostmind

Put me in as a sub in NHL 08, if one of the listed don't pick up the game or join the league... I'll go with whichever team becomes available.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I'm actually gonna have to drop out of the PS3 NHL08 league because of the time zone differences. I seriously doubt I'd be able to coordinate anything with anyone on a consistent basis, so it's best that I just play casually.

But! If you wanna add me anyway, my PS3 tag is Reno

purg3

slept with Malkin
_leech_ said:
Any word on a 2K8 demo?

Yeah, I hope it's out by the end of the week...I'm pretty sure last year's was out a week or two before the game launched.

Guy Legend

Ahh, so 2k changed the cover for their game. I was wondering if they were actually going to ship the game with the Sens old 3rd jersey on cover.

FightyF

Banned
ghostmind I need your GT.

Euro release dates are listed for both game's Basic Information, but I didn't get anything more specific for the 2K8 release date.

-addendum-
OP season lists updated

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
After playing the 360 demo of NHL08, I immediately preordered from Amazon with overnight shipping. I can't wait.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
is no one doing a league for 2k8? I haven't decided which I'm going to get yet, but I was just wondering.

Oh yeah, GT: Squatingyeti - I'll sub if there's no 2k8 league, or 2008 is just the better game and I get that.

EDIT: Does either game allow for online leagues with trading/injuries and whatnot?

rs7k

FightyF said:
Anyone managed to get into a fight, in the 08 demo? I wonder if they even upgraded that.

Yeah.

There's even a fight HUD. I'm never good at fighting in hockey games though, so I lost.

FightyF

Banned
squatingyeti said:
is no one doing a league for 2k8? I haven't decided which I'm going to get yet, but I was just wondering.

Oh yeah, GT: Squatingyeti - I'll sub if there's no 2k8 league, or 2008 is just the better game and I get that.

EDIT: Does either game allow for online leagues with trading/injuries and whatnot?

There probably will be, and I'd be down for that as well. I'm personally waiting for a demo. Due to the large number of great games coming out this Fall, if 2K8 is only a marginal improvement over last year, then I'm not gonna get it right away.

Phthisis

Hey Fighty, Maverick dropped out of the 360 league and Kingpen took the Pens in his place, and then Snaku took the Red Wings. I just forgot to update it in the other thread :) FYI

DeadCell

Dear god those new Sens jerseys are horrendous.

Anyways, NHL 08 will be the only hockey game I need this year. Happy birthday to me!

FightyF

Banned
monkey swag ultra

Phthisis said:
Hey Fighty, Maverick dropped out of the 360 league and Kingpen took the Pens in his place, and then Snaku took the Red Wings. I just forgot to update it in the other thread :) FYI

Thanks!

And thanks for starting that whole season thing as well.

Phthisis

FightyF said:
And thanks for starting that whole season thing as well.

Wasn't me who made the thread, but I'll certainly take credit for keeping it organized. I'll make the official league thread in the online gaming forum sometime this weekend and link it.

EDIT- Really great info about NHL 08 dynasty mode over at the IGN dev blog: http://blogs.ign.com/EANHL08/

purg3

slept with Malkin
squatingyeti said:

I'm down for a 2k8 league on 360, hopefully we can get enough people to fill one.

The NHL has struggle as a sports league lately, but you gotta give them props for the handling of their videogame licensing. EA tried to get an exclusive for the NHL by first nabbing an exclusive with the NHL Player's Association (NHLPA) but the NHL pushed back and made the deal non exclusive. As a result, the NHL games are extremely competitive and both games are very good.

It makes you wonder how good the MLB & NFL games would be if they followed that model. :-/

NHL 2K8 is supposed to be 1080p and 60fps on the xbox 360. That will be real impressive if they pull it off.

The multi-console online play of NHL 08 sounds really cool to me . . . I might end up getting both games.

squatingyeti said:

Both games will have online leagues this year. (First sports game with online leagues for EA, I believe.) I don't think the EA league system has trading though.

I'm really interested in the multi-console play . . . I wonder how they'll handle it. Will there be lobbies where you can pick a position to play in an online multi-console game and then wait for more people to join? I think multi-player multi-console games sound cool.

CSSer

Keltron said:
really excited for the ps3 version. any ideas if it will still be 60fps like xbox?

Nope, it's confirmed to be 30 fps :(

The PS3 league list hasn't been updated to include Reno's Tampa Bay Lightning. He's still deciding whether to join because he resides in Japan. Also, the format of the ps3 league is different from the 360 league list; it's PSN (GAF id), so you can either switch it around for all the names, or fix the Bookerman's PSN with his GAF id.

Kingpen

Phthisis said:

HOLY SHIT! Back from vacation and seeing this makes my day... Can't wait to take you guys one with the Pens in the league. This game will be my most played game over the end of the year, bar none...
Can't wait to play the demo either...

FightyF

Banned
CSSer said:

The PS3 league list hasn't been updated to include Reno's Tampa Bay Lightning. He's still deciding whether to join because he resides in Japan. Also, the format of the ps3 league is different from the 360 league list; it's PSN (GAF id), so you can either switch it around for all the names, or fix the Bookerman's PSN with his GAF id.

Thanks for heads up regarding the PSN/GAF ids! Actually Reno posted earlier today and said that due to the time differences he may not be able to commit to an actual season, but is definitely up for any non-season NHL 08 gaming.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
I'll sub for 2008 or be a player for 2k8. Whichever happens first. (this message can be changed at any time due to unknown worthiness of 2k8).

Guy Legend

CSSer said:

How about PS3's NHL 2k8? Any chance that hits 60 fps or are both hockey games on the platform 30 fps?

too bad the pc version of 08 is balls. fucking lazy ass developers. give it to the vancouver guys for petes sake. i should really get a 360.

Treo360

EA has made a believer in me. I have '07 and couldn't stand the jerky framerate. '08 is so freaking smooth and awesome.

2k8 better be absolutely awesome and match '08, release a damned demo Take 2!

Big-E

Beatbox said:
No PS3 2K8 leagues? Oh wells.
I might be interested. I don't like the way NHL 08 plays on 360/PS3. I just find the game too slow now. If we were in a league it would be difficult because Philadelphia only has one team.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Big-E said:
I might be interested. I don't like the way NHL 08 plays on 360/PS3. I just find the game too slow now. If we were in a league it would be difficult because Philadelphia only has one team.

Since I don't have a 360, I haven't tried the demo yet, but I really disliked NHL 07. Hope they give us demos of at least one of them this week on PSN.

As far as the Flyers go, sure I would pick them as well but I wouldn't mind using a random method to decide who gets them.

Beatbox said:
Since I don't have a 360, I haven't tried the demo yet, but I really disliked NHL 07. Hope they give us demos of at least one of them this week on PSN.

As far as the Flyers go, sure I would pick them as well but I wouldn't mind using a random method to decide who gets them.

If you don't have a 360, which version of 07 did you play? I hear the PS2 version was different.

Treo360

Big-E said:

Wow, I find the speed just fine, nearly perfect imo, the hitting could be a bit beefier though, and the poke check kinda sucks.

I can't wait to see how 2k8 plays.

Top Bottom