• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2008 Hockey Videogame Thread (NHL 08 & NHL 2K8 out Sept. 11)

RBH

IGN review of NHL 08 (360 version):

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/819/819016p1.html

8.0 Presentation
While it doesn't feel quite like a TV broadcast, there are plenty of nice touches. The Stanley Cup celebration is excellent and the inclusion of real AHL players is a plus.
8.5 Graphics
A good animation system, attractive ice, and great crowds make for a game that's pleasing to the eye.
8.5 Sound
The play-by-play hasn't changed all that much since last year, but it now has a direct correlation to gameplay. The crowd is intelligent and the sounds on the ice are good.
9.0 Gameplay
The opponent AI is outstanding. This looks and plays like a real NHL game. It's not perfect, but it's the best AI EA has ever had in a hockey game.
8.5 Lasting Appeal
The Dynasty Mode is stronger than ever with better trade logic and pickier free agents. The addition of online leagues and support for 6-player online games is huge.

OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

IGN review of NHL 08 (PS3 version):

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/819/819015p1.html

Now for the bad news PS3 owners. EA once again does you a huge disservice. With its first NHL title on PS3, EA has really dropped the ball visually. While the gameplay and feature set is identical to 360, the framerate is not. And while EA would like to say the PS3 version runs at 30 frames per second, that's questionable. PlayStation editor Greg Miller put it best upon first seeing NHL 08 running on PS3: "It looks like they're playing hockey under a strobe light." You can still play and enjoy NHL 08 on PS3, but don't you deserve a perfect framerate? Shouldn't you demand a better-looking game? Write your Congressman and get EA to pay the PS3 a bit more respect. Nearly a year into its life, the PS3 should have sports games that run smoothly.

8.0 Presentation
While it doesn't feel quite like a TV broadcast, there are plenty of nice touches. The Stanley Cup celebration is excellent and the inclusion of real AHL players is a plus.
7.5 Graphics
A good animation system, attractive ice, and great crowds would have made for an appealing game, but the framerate becomes a real distraction.
8.5 Sound
The play-by-play hasn't changed all that much since last year, but it now has a direct correlation to gameplay. The crowd is intelligent and the sounds on the ice are good.
9.0 Gameplay
The opponent AI is outstanding. This looks and plays like a real NHL game. It's not perfect, but it's the best AI EA has ever had in a hockey game.
8.5 Lasting Appeal
The Dynasty Mode is stronger than ever with better trade logic and pickier free agents. The addition of online leagues and support for 6-player online games is huge.

OVERALL

Guy Legend

30 fps was expected for this year's PS3 NHL 08, but IGN said even that much is questionable? Does it really drop even below that? That's quite pathetic if true...

Still awaiting word on NHL 2k8's PS3 frame rate.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
How badly is it hurting the PS3 when every multi-platform game they release is better on the 360? Is it damaging?

RBH said:
IGN review of NHL 08 (360 version):

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/819/819016p1.html

8.0 Presentation
8.5 Graphics
A good animation system, attractive ice, and great crowds make for a game that's pleasing to the eye.

OVERALL

IGN review of NHL 08 (PS3 version):

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/819/819015p1.html

8.0 Presentation
7.5 Graphics
A good animation system, attractive ice, and great crowds would have made for an appealing game, but the framerate becomes a real distraction.
)

Oh shit.

Guy Legend

Favre4435 said:
How badly is it hurting the PS3 when every multi-platform game they release is better on the 360? Is it damaging?

This was the last EA game to run worse on the PS3. According to Peter Moore, starting with NBA - the PS3 versions will be equal.

OzzyStar

starting to get tired of EA not putting the effort into the ps3 versions....i wanted nhl 08 but maybe i'll reconsider 2k8 if the ps3 review is better

Ckid

Guy Legend said:
This was the last EA game to run worse on the PS3. According to Peter Moore, starting with NBA - the PS3 versions will be equal.

to bad its the only sports game i care about

I thought the 360 version had 4 on 4 online? Not 6 on 6? Or do they mean 3 on 3?

Edit: Review text for 360 says 3 v. 3. I thought it was supposed to be 4 vs. 4. Oh well.

Guy Legend said:

Wow, how his tune has changed...

Don't know if it's been mentioned but in the latest EGM podcast they completely rag on NHL 2k8 basically calling it a disaster. They loved 08 however, as evident by their review.

If you're the type who, on defense, likes to charge at the puck and lay down a big hit to gain possession, please bring a Scantron and No. 2 pencil to class -- you're about to be schooled. Sure, from time to time you will manage to get a lick on the puck handler, but usually being over-aggressive will cost you. Watch an NHL game. Do you see defensemen storming at a forward with the puck? All you will do by charging relentlessly is put all of your defenders out of position and allow for easy goals. Instead, you need to use some NHL smarts. Play the passing lanes. Look for the opportune moments to poke check; don't just swing your stick around wildly like a blind man. And above all, show patience.

This paragraph made me smile.

purg3

slept with Malkin
NHL2K8 League (360) Team Selection

Northeast
Montreal Canadiens
Buffalo Sabres
Toronto Maple Leafs
enigma5 (Enigma5)-Ottawa Senators
Boston Bruins

Atlantic
DenogginizerOS (Denogginizer NC)-New Jersey Devils *?*
Philadelphia Flyers
purgeface (purg3) - Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Rangers
New York Islanders

Southeast
Carolina Hurricanes
ChrisJames (MightBeWrong)-Florida Panthers
Tampa Bay Lightning
Washington Capitals
Atlanta Thrashers

Northwest
Calgary Flames
Colorado Avalanche
Edmonton Oilers
bishoptl (bishGA) - Vancouver Canucks
Minnesota Wild

Central
Chicago Blackhawks
FightyF(TerraRythm) - Detroit Red Wings
Nashville Predators
Columbus Blue Jackets
St. Louis Blues

Pacific
Anaheim Ducks
San Jose Sharks
Los Angeles Kings
Dallas Stars
Phoenix Coyotes

Tons of teams still available, post what team you want and I will update the list.

FightyF

Banned
OzzyStar said:
starting to get tired of EA not putting the effort into the ps3 versions....i wanted nhl 08 but maybe i'll reconsider 2k8 if the ps3 review is better

It was "30fps" (game ran at 30 fps but most of the animations didn't seem 30fps, seemed worse) on the 360 last year. It has nothing to do with a lack of effort, NHL 07 and 08 were some of the best looking games out there.

Blame Sony for making convoluted hardware that can't handle ports of even PC games. Blaming EA doesn't make any sense. This is the team's first crack at the PS3, and they are taking an already existing advanced engine and trying to port it over. Expecting 60fps would be ridiculous.

DoctorWho said:
I thought the 360 version had 4 on 4 online? Not 6 on 6? Or do they mean 3 on 3?

Edit: Review text for 360 says 3 v. 3. I thought it was supposed to be 4 vs. 4. Oh well.

I've never found a straight answer, which is why the OP isn't updated as far as those things go. It seems like we'll only know once we get the games ourselves.

mackmoney

I own NHL '07 and have played the '08 demo and I'm still not sure if '08 is appreciably better than '07. Sure, it's better, but is it $60 better? That better be a lot of better. I'll wait for 2-week old impressions before taking the plunge. I typically buy new iterations of my favorite sport franchises every other year unless there's a series defining (i.e. NHL '94, NHL '98) release.

rs7k

Yeah, I wouldn't blame EA Canada for this. Hockey games don't sell great and the PS3 userbase in Canada is pathetic. They probably had a small budget and a highly 360-centric engine to work from.

Playing 08 and going back to 07 really makes me notice the bad framerate.

FightyF

Banned
Just saw this on Operation Sports:

http://features.operationsports.com/features.aspx?game=nhl2k8cc

PS3 version of 2K8 will be 60fps:
…on the differences between the Xbox 360 and PS3 release

To answer first what has become the standard question for sports games this year, both the 360 and the PS3 version will be playing at 60 frames-per-second. In fact, Scott told us that the 60fps bogey is something that has always been a priority for them. They devout significant time and resources to making sure that, even with new modes, animations and graphics, they never do it at the expense of the frame rate.

In terms of unique features, 360 gamers will be able to use 2K Reel Maker this season to build highlight reels and will also be able to pump out their own custom soundtracks. PS3 fans will have some 6-axis support, mostly in the areas of checking and goalie crease control.

calder

rs7k said:
Yeah, I wouldn't blame EA Canada for this.
Don't worry, I'll blame them enough for both of us. ;P

There's no real excuse for them gimping another port, how can they not have their shit together on the PS3 yet? I understand having trouble with new hardware, but for a publisher with EA's resources the excuses are harder to swallow. If the framerate noticeably dips below 30 like the review says I'm going to have to really consider 2K8, despite it sounding like it's a bit behind in features.

Osorio

I didn't know I had Stranglehold and Medal of Honor on my Gamefly queue so I had to return them as soon as I got them. Should get the game by Thursday or Friday.

Doel

DoctorWho said:
Reviews on the Run comparison review of NHL 08 and 2k8.

EDIT: Fuck, Victor Lucas needs to find someone else to be on TV with him. Bring Tommy back!
Wow, that was a VERY weak segment. I'm surprised, I normally love watching Reviews on the Run. Not even a mention of the NHL 08 AI or online modes in either game.

Victor Lucas is still shopping around for a new co-host. I loved when Geoff K. was on with him a few times, but he has his own show on Spike as well as all his GameTrailers stuff, so I assume he is too busy to take the co-hosting duties with Victor.

I know many people never cared for Tommy but I always loved him on the show because he was the perfect contrast. He had the casual gamer tastes while Vic always had the hardcore tastes, so they complimented each other very well. Too bad he is too busy with Videogames Live.

Purgeface, I'll join the NHL 2K8 leauge (I'm a reliable player; I've completed several GAF leagues of NBA and MLB 2k). Right now I'll pick the Florida Panthers as my team...

FightyF

Banned
Guy Legend said:
Great news. As long as 2k8 gets good ratings, it's probably a much easier to decision as to which hockey game to get on the PS3.

I have a feeling that 2K8 will again be the better sim game. 08 has made great strides in becoming more realistic in all of the areas where it is lacking, but it won't have stuff like battling for the puck along the boards and pinning, and I really like what I hear about the tying up the other player in a faceoff.

It seems you can't go wrong with either game (still, I haven't seen an indepth review of either game, I don't know if the goalies have been fixed in 2K8)...but on the PS3 I suppose the difference becomes bigger when you consider the framerate.

If the framerate noticeably dips below 30 like the review says I'm going to have to really consider 2K8, despite it sounding like it's a bit behind in features.

It seemed like that on the 360. The game ran at 30fps, and the screen scrolled at 30fps, but the animations were even lower than that. I think that's what they are referring to. Again, I'd like to hear an expert's opinion...most of these sports reviews aren't very detailed.

purg3

slept with Malkin
ChrisJames said:
Purgeface, I'll join the NHL 2K8 leauge (I'm a reliable player; I've completed several GAF leagues of NBA and MLB 2k). Right now I'll pick the Florida Panthers as my team...

Cool, added you to the list.

Kingpen

Fuck.... I really like Stranglehold, but completing that second level made me queasy sick now... Now I'm wondering about getting both 2k8 and NHL 08 (I would get them both eventually anyway later in the year). I know I am 100% sure I am keeping my paid in full copy of NHL08

I'm excited to hear about the reel maker in 2k8, I thought it was a novel concept in NBA, NFL, but wasn't a big enough fan on those games to buy it. I surely would with NHL2k8.

If I get both, I'll surely give you guys reliable impressions...

Souther

Banned
FightyF said:
Blame Sony for making convoluted hardware that can't handle ports of even PC games.

I am pretty sure the last thing people that have PS3's are worried about is the system not being able to do ports of PC games.

If i wanted to play PC games i would upgrade my computer.

The problem lies in the fact that instead of trying to work from the ground up on the PS3 hardware, EA decided to try and port NHL08 from the 360 to the PS3.

Ergo laziness.

Fatalah

Souther said:
I am pretty sure the last thing people that have PS3's are worried about is the system not being able to do ports of PC games.

The problem lies in the fact that instead of trying to work from the ground up on the PS3 hardware, EA decided to try and port NHL08 from the 360 to the PS3.

Ergo laziness.

Try calling it cost efficiency to keep a business running. Whose rules should they play by?

Phthisis

By the way, I know the 360 version of 08 doesn't come out in Europe until the 20-somethingth, so I'm going to wait to make the official league thread in the online forum until everyone has had at least a couple days with the game to get used to it (and I know we have some PAL players in the league), but rest assured once the thread is up I will link it here poste haste.

Souther

Banned
Fatalah said:
Try calling it cost efficiency to keep a business running. Whose rules should they play by?

Yeah , because we all know that EA is really hurting for money and could go under anytime.

I really hope that dude was overreacting in that article about the framerate.

If the framerate is equal too or better than 2K7 on the original Xbox then i will be happy. I had fun playing that game and never even thought twice about the framerate.

mackmoney said:
I own NHL '07 and have played the '08 demo and I'm still not sure if '08 is appreciably better than '07. Sure, it's better, but is it $60 better? That better be a lot of better. I'll wait for 2-week old impressions before taking the plunge. I typically buy new iterations of my favorite sport franchises every other year unless there's a series defining (i.e. NHL '94, NHL '98) release.

the new, far better a.i., skating engine and online leagues say hella yes.

purg3

slept with Malkin
TemplaerDude said:
the new, far better a.i., skating engine and online leagues say hella yes.

Agreed, even though I'm not getting 08, it's a huge improvement over last years and well worth the money if you liked 07.

FightyF

Banned
Souther said:

The point was that the PS3 has issues supporting ported code in any fashion due to its convoluted design. The single CPU PC is rather simple in design.

Ergo laziness.

That's not laziness. These people work hard to release the game. They bust their butts when the game nears completion and are that the point of having to strip features and save them for next year, because of tight deadlines.

Secondly, so what if they port? EA's NHL games were ported to the Xbox with no issues, and the Xbox version was never inferior to the PS2 version.

The problem is with the PS3 hardware. I seriously can't believe people blaming EA for pushing one console to its limits and then not being able to port that over to the PS3 because the PS3 has an odd architecture.

If EA ever decided to make a version specifically for the PS3, they deserve to win a Darwin Award. That would be the stupidest thing they could ever do.

Anyways...

Purge, I'll try to update the list I have whenever possible, but if you can keep your own personal database and manage things as you have so far, I appreciate it.

If my list is horribly outdated, let me know!

Souther

Banned
FightyF said:
The point was that the PS3 has issues supporting ported code in any fashion due to its convoluted design. The single CPU PC is rather simple in design.

That's not laziness. These people work hard to release the game. They bust their butts when the game nears completion and are that the point of having to strip features and save them for next year, because of tight deadlines.

Secondly, so what if they port? EA's NHL games were ported to the Xbox with no issues, and the Xbox version was never inferior to the PS2 version.

The problem is with the PS3 hardware. I seriously can't believe people blaming EA for pushing one console to its limits and then not being able to port that over to the PS3 because the PS3 has an odd architecture.

If EA ever decided to make a version specifically for the PS3, they deserve to win a Darwin Award. That would be the stupidest thing they could ever do.

Anyways...

Purge, I'll try to update the list I have whenever possible, but if you can keep your own personal database and manage things as you have so far, I appreciate it.

If my list is horribly outdated, let me know!

I don't expect them to make a whole new version for the Ps3, but i expect that the version on the 360 and Ps3 is the same including framerate.

The problem lies in the fact that they are using the 360 as the lead sku and then trying to just port it to the PS3 and we all know that it doesn't work very well when that happens.

whats done is done I guess.

snorggy

i need first hand impressions of this purported framerate issue STAT! i have played nhl07 on the 360 and have heard complaints of the framerate and i have no idea what they're talking about... if nhl08 for ps3 is like nhl07 was on the 360 last year then this is being completely overblown... however, if it's actually as bad as the ign review says, then EA can kiss my moneys goodbye.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
My beef is that 2K sports, with a much smaller budget, somehow managed to create a PS3 version of their hockey title that runs at 60 fps, while EA - with all the resources at its disposal - couldn't. That puzzles me.

/speculawyer

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
ebgames.com moved their 08 ship date back a day. oh well, if it really did get pushed back a day, hit up circuit city tomorrow after 2pm. it's a guaranteed release, so if they don't have it after 2pm, 20$ gift card for you.

Captain N

I think its awesome that you can actually hear the guys talking to each other a lot more in 08

bishoptl said:
My beef is that 2K sports, with a much smaller budget, somehow managed
to create a PS3 version of their hockey title that runs at 60 fps, while EA - with all the resources at its disposal - couldn't. That puzzles me.

/speculawyer

If i'm not mistaken wasn't 2K7 60 fps as well?

Anyone else getting 2k8 today? I'll be getting it here in a few hours and will gladly play anyone on here in a game or two today.

Live Gamertag - Tag McLOVIN

Kingpen

sefskillz said:
ebgames.com moved their 08 ship date back a day. oh well, if it really did get pushed back a day, hit up circuit city tomorrow after 2pm. it's a guaranteed release, so if they don't have it after 2pm, 20$ gift card for you.

yeah, I'm going to raise hell if the game isn't there on Wednesday... trouble is that I'm running out of things to pre-order for the fall. I will be getting this no doubt by 2 PM tomorrow as I took the day off. Stranglehold got much better the 3rd level, so I'll just be sticking with my NHL08 pre-order for now and wait for the verdict on 2k8

Captain N

I'm heading out now to pick up 2K8 for the 360. Maybe I'll pick up the PS3 version as well if there's enough interest before I leave in the next 10 minutes.

Kingpen

Argh... I just read someones initial impressions and they say they love the fighting engine in 2k8. This is easily the worst part of NHL 08 from the demo from what I can tell. Damn, now I'm really torn about 2k8. I also know that 2k8 will have classic teams in it and that NHL08 does not.

I got this game yesterday and was playing this puppy until 3:30am last night! I like it alot. Ofcourse at the begginning the controls were hard to get used too, and the Pro stick control was easy to master but it was just a nuicense. So i changed it back to 2k7 Classic control and love the game.

The create a player mode is DEEP, very deep! You can almost change anything on your player. 10/10

The music is okay, could have more better bands on it. 6/10

The animations are very realistic, greatlooking game, the graphics did improove from last years 9/10!

The franchise is very deep! Again another improovement, with alldiffrent contracts you can offer, you can edit any player on your team, the trade system has been tweaked to make it more harder to get the guys you really want.Free Agent signings realistic and the tranining of your youth is great also, i liked how this all balanced it out. The one thing missing in this game is coaches. You can't pick them, maybe in the offseason but not in the preseason. Player feedback is offered when you are negotiating with all of the players, if you DON'T give them what the liked, the players will refuse to sign with your team. Neat and very realistic. Oh and you can also choose the Salary Cap to start with. If you want you can start with 60.5 mil or 80 Mil. Up to you. Overall the Franchise gets a 9/10 rating so far from me!

Fighting is so much improoved in this game, it's more like EA sports, but less close upof your guy. When you are about to be knocked out, it's like FIght Night! I love it! 10/10!

The presentation in the game and the commentating is not as good as last year's game, this needs to be improved on. 6/10!

Sid the Kid is rated 97 Ovr and T.Vanek is 82! Both are playing for the leafs WOOOO!

Like i said, when the controls are mastered i might go back to Pro stick, but right now I am loving using the original controls.

The only thing i notice is that there's not that many PIM in the game. I might have to check out the setting for this. I bumped up to 100! and still get like1-2 infractions.

Checking is great in this game, better then last years. 8/10!

Hmmm so far that's it on my end! If anyone have anymore questions let me know. Overall i give this game a 8.5 out of 10!

Kingpen

TuSeiSkeefoso said:
The fact that even one person in this hockey thread is considering buying 2K8 over NHL08, is even more disturbing.

Have you played 2k8 yet? If not then go away... a lot of us in this thread are interested in both of them. Both games were good last year, and a lot of us are excited for both of them

Top Bottom