• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2008 Hockey Videogame Thread (NHL 08 & NHL 2K8 out Sept. 11)

Big-E

Treo360 said:
Wow, I find the speed just fine, nearly perfect imo, the hitting could be a bit beefier though, and the poke check kinda sucks.

I can't wait to see how 2k8 plays.

Ya I don't know what it is. It didn't click for me. The game has great production values and the like and I can see how a lot of people are loving it. For me though its just not my game.

FightyF

Banned
I think once a 2K8 demo comes out, we'll start the 2K8 leagues.

If 2K8 is only a marginal improvement over last year and they didn't address the goalie AI/Animations, then I won't pick it up. I think most people will be basing their purchase decision on the demo.

purg3

slept with Malkin
FightyF said:
I think once a 2K8 demo comes out, we'll start the 2K8 leagues.

If 2K8 is only a marginal improvement over last year and they didn't address the goalie AI/Animations, then I won't pick it up. I think most people will be basing their purchase decision on the demo.

Supposedly the goalies have brand new animations and better AI. As long as they fixed the goalie exploits that should have been fixed years ago, this game will be amazing.

Osorio

Treo360 said:
Wow, I find the speed just fine, nearly perfect imo, the hitting could be a bit beefier though, and the poke check kinda sucks.

I can't wait to see how 2k8 plays.
The hitting is just fine imo. If it was beefier than it would be like all other games where huge hits on open ice are normal. This game encourages you to do more subtle hits and I find it more realistic because of it.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
FightyF said:
2 days left.

No 2K8 demo is pretty odd. Could it mean that there are issues with the game?
I'd say they're just throwing in the towel. If people have an opportunity to download and compare the games side by side, I think they know where the sales will go :)

Pewp

I don't know if you guys count this or not.

Yesterday on Reviews on the Run they had NHL 08 vs NHL 2K8. Both got very good scores but NHL 08 ended up winning by a little.

NHL 08

+ Very good graphics
- Lacking Features

9.5 - 9.0

NHL 2K8

+ Rich of features
-Cumbersome controls

8.5 - 9.0

They pretty much said that 08 looked and played better but 2K8 had more to the game to make you want to come back. I just got G4TV so I still don't know if this show is GAF approved or not.

FightyF

Banned
Pewp said:
I don't know if you guys count this or not.

Yesterday on Reviews on the Run they had NHL 08 vs NHL 2K8. Both got very good scores but NHL 08 ended up winning by a little.

NHL 08

+ Very good graphics
- Lacking Features

9.5 - 9.0

NHL 2K8

+ Rich of features
-Cumbersome controls

8.5 - 9.0

They pretty much said that 08 looked and played better but 2K8 had more to the game to make you want to come back. I just got G4TV so I still don't know if this show is GAF approved or not.

Well, that review seems really simplified. I think that compared to 08, the controls will seem cumbersome, and that is the beauty of 08's control scheme, it affords a lot of depth while remaining simple. But at the same time, you can do more in 2K8...I really want to see what Operation Sports thinks.

Still, thanks for sharing Pewp, I'll update the OP with that review...

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Just in time to pick up *both* games. I farted around with the EA demo again today, it's just as fun as I remember. No idea why the 2K demo hasn't been released yet, it played great at X'07 and they have nothing to hide...

...anyways, with the 08 GAF league already full (fuckers), I guess I'll be taking the Canucks in the 2K league, whenever that starts up. Is there a league commish yet, or is that position open?

HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY

purg3

slept with Malkin
bishoptl said:
Just in time to pick up *both* games. I farted around with the EA demo again today, it's just as fun as I remember. No idea why the 2K demo hasn't been released yet, it played great at X'07 and they have nothing to hide...

...anyways, with the 08 GAF league already full (fuckers), I guess I'll be taking the Canucks in the 2K league, whenever that starts up. Is there a league commish yet, or is that position open?

2K League Assemble! Penguins are mine. Is there going to be a separate 2K league thread or is everything going in here?

Quick Edit--if no one is interested, I can run the 2K8 360 league.

FightyF

Banned
bishoptl said:

I'm down for a 2K8 league as well. There is no commish yet. If anyone is up to organizing it for either PS3 or 360, I'll make some banners and update the original post.

QFT

purg3

slept with Malkin
FightyF said:
I'm down for a 2K8 league as well. There is no commish yet. If anyone is up to organizing it for either PS3 or 360, I'll make some banners and update the original post.

QFT

Yeah, you should probably add a team selection list in the OP for 2K8, and get that out of the way to see how many people are interested before proceeding on to other details.

epik

I'm excited for the 360 league.. gaf interest if offfff the hoook for NHL 08! .. I'm lovin it!! .. play the demo well.. and practices tons.. PRESEASONNNNNNN

<3<3<3

Is Tuesday the 11th the ship day or in store date for NHL 08? My coworker is on vacation after Tuesday so I was hoping to rush to the store and snag the game to get a game in before he leaves.

RBH

Marty Chinn said:
Is Tuesday the 11th the ship day or in store date for NHL 08? My coworker is on vacation after Tuesday so I was hoping to rush to the store and snag the game to get a game in before he leaves.

I believe that the ship date is the 11th for NHL 08, while it's the 10th for 2K8.

FightyF

Banned
purgeface said:
Yeah, you should probably add a team selection list in the OP for 2K8, and get that out of the way to see how many people are interested before proceeding on to other details.

To be honest, I'm sorta busy with constantly updating another thread ATM. I don't mind updating the OP with league info, but I don't want to be the guy managing the league, at all. :p Sorry!

If anyones compiles a list, I'll gladly update the OP as much as I can with that info.

Marty: I have no idea whether it is ship or store date, but my GUESS is store date. I read somewhere just very recently that 2K8 will be out on Sept 10, but everywhere else it said 11th...so my guess is that 10th is the ship date and some stores MAY have 2K8 tomorrow.

Damn, I was hoping to be playing on Tuesday. Oh well, best to set myself up now for Wednesday instead of walking out of a store empty handed on Tuesday.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I played 2K last year. I am still up in the air about which version to get. If I go with 2K, I would be interested in the league (the DEVILS!).

purg3

slept with Malkin
NHL2K8 League (360) Team Selection

Northeast
Montreal Canadiens
Buffalo Sabres
Toronto Maple Leafs
Ottawa Senators
Boston Bruins

Atlantic
DenogginizerOS (Denogginizer NC)-New Jersey Devils *?*
Philadelphia Flyers
purgeface (purg3) - Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Rangers
New York Islanders

Southeast
Carolina Hurricanes
Florida Panthers
Tampa Bay Lightning
Washington Capitals
Atlanta Thrashers

Northwest
Calgary Flames
Colorado Avalanche
Edmonton Oilers
bishoptl (bishGA) - Vancouver Canucks
Minnesota Wild

Central
Chicago Blackhawks
FightyF(TerraRythm) - Detroit Red Wings
Nashville Predators
Columbus Blue Jackets
St. Louis Blues

Pacific
Anaheim Ducks
San Jose Sharks
Los Angeles Kings
Dallas Stars
Phoenix Coyotes

If you are interested, just post what team you want, and I will update this post. Also, please do not sign up if you are not serious about meeting and playing your games. Nothing is worse than having a league fall through halfway through a season. Once we get enough people signed up, I will start with the details of the season.

knee

I would like the Tampa Bay Lightning!

My availability is Mon. through Fri. 5pm EST to...? Also, weekend mornings should be okay as well.

Thanks!

professor_t said:
Did folks see the full-game video of NHL 08 being played on all-star? Some aspects of the game look phenomenal, but I'm still really concerned with the computer AI's passive play in their own end.

http://www.pastapadre.com/1618/full-game-of-nhl-08-played-on-all-star-difficulty

Yeah, I wonder if that is to allow the user more time to cycle the puck. I really want them to be more aggressive. Don't forget, we haven't had a chance to play with sliders yet and hopefully there will be a fix for this.

Phthisis

There is an aggressiveness slider in the options that makes the CPU press you more when playing defense. I wouldn't worry too much.

DoctorWho said:
Yeah, I wonder if that is to allow the user more time to cycle the puck. I really want them to be more aggressive. Don't forget, we haven't had a chance to play with sliders yet and hopefully there will be a fix for this.

It's nice to cycle, but even-strength possessions should not feel like a powerplay. I'm thinking specifically of a stretch from 2:15 to about 2:50 in the second period vid. And the guy playing isn't even that good . . .

Phthisis said:
There is an aggressiveness slider in the options that makes the CPU press you more when playing defense. I wouldn't worry too much.

That's reassuring. Honestly, just about everything else is aces.

rs7k

I just added everybody's gamertag to my list.

I think the game will be in stores on the 12th. Can anyone confirm?

bran

IzumiK said:
Go DoctorWho and lupin23rd!

GO CANUCKS!

I wanted to play Canucks, too. But now I'll have to try to get in with Anaheim. If I can't be Canucks I'll just own the Canucks ;-)

Fatalah

I don't get it. Why are games advertised to come out on a certain day, and they always seem to be available one day later?

I called my local Gamestop and they said Wednesday for NHL 08.

Klocker

Fatalah said:
I don't get it. Why are games advertised to come out on a certain day, and they always seem to be available one day later?

I called my local Gamestop and they said Wednesday for NHL 08.

release day is usually shipping day

Fatalah

Klocker said:
release day is usually shipping day

Understandable. So if I was in charge of marketing at EA, I'd make sure to say "game available Sept 12th."

People don't have patience for shipping days.

By people I mean ME.

Fatalah said:
Understandable. So if I was in charge of marketing at EA, I'd make sure to say "game available Sept 12th."

People don't have patience for shipping days.

By people I mean ME.

Actually, I've seen EA's advertising and it says the 12th. It ships on the 11th and in the gaming industry that has been the standard for what is considered the "release" date.

Fatalah

DoctorWho said:
Actually, I've seen EA's advertising and it says the 12th. It ships on the 11th and in the gaming industry that has been the standard for what is considered the "release" date.

I guess I shouldn't be following EBgames release date list then.... damn them!

Kingpen

I'm losing productivity over here at work because I'm trying to sniff out any impressions or updates people have with the final build. Gonna be a long day at work tomorrow for sure....

Souther

Banned
When you downloaded a roster update on NHL07 and were in the middle of a season did it automatically update your roster or did you have to start all over again if you wanted to have the right players?

As much as i love hockey games getting released almost a month before the season starts, I also kinda wished they would come out a lil later so that all the teams rosters would pretty much be finalized and you could just pick up and play without having to screw around too much.

Kingpen said:
I'm losing productivity over here at work because I'm trying to sniff out any impressions or updates people have with the final build. Gonna be a long day at work tomorrow for sure....

Kingpen

i'm a bit bummed that the fighting mini-game on 08 actually seems a little worse then last years (which I had thought was the worst in the last 5 years of hockey games)

I like that there is a momentum meter instead of health bars, but it plays out too much like rock-em, sock-em robots and is a little too fast.

I say bring back the fighting goalies of 06!

Fatalah said:
I guess I shouldn't be following EBgames release date list then.... damn them!

Yeah, EB always lists the ship date. It may actually show up on the same day it ships. That happens a lot in my neck of the woods so double check your EB tomorrow evening and see if it is in. They tell you Wednesday just to be safe.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I can't afford two hockey games. This year is the first year I can remember where the decision of which game to buy is not clear cut. Nice dilemna to have, but I think it may mean I will have to wait until some of you chowder heads start waxing poetic about one game or the other before I purchase one.

FightyF

Banned
Thanks purge!

knee said:
I would like the Tampa Bay Lightning!

My availability is Mon. through Fri. 5pm EST to...? Also, weekend mornings should be okay as well.

Thanks!

I just need your PSN handle.

Kingpen

DenogginizerOS said:
I can't afford two hockey games. This year is the first year I can remember where the decision of which game to buy is not clear cut. Nice dilemna to have, but I think it may mean I will have to wait until some of you chowder heads start waxing poetic about one game or the other before I purchase one.

I would get 08 if I were you.... only because I know how much you like 2k series. I was the same for a while, but is is alway good to get a nice good quality 'club sandwich' instead of nice good quality 'BLT' just to mix it up. I enjoyed both games a lot last year, going back and forth between them, but NHL 07 was way more memorable.

Both games are going to be great, but I can guarantee you that the skill stick on EA's game is worth 60 bucks based on fun factor alone.

Also, if you even remotely like Fight Night controls, and can have fun at them, then your decision should be easier to make. I thought that shot counts, penalties called were better in EA's game last year as well (it played more sim-like if you can believe that vs. 2ks game).

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Souther said:
When you downloaded a roster update on NHL07 and were in the middle of a season did it automatically update your roster or did you have to start all over again if you wanted to have the right players?

iirc you had to start over

Top Bottom