• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2009 Music Lists From Music Websites (Updated When They Are)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calcaneus

Why even make a list if you are just gonna list the same damn albums? I'm not that into a lot of what people consider "indie" music, but I feel like I'm just seeing the same "approved" indie albums on every list.

Cohsae

Calcaneus said:
Why even make a list if you are just gonna list the same damn albums? I'm not that into a lot of what people consider "indie" music, but I feel like I'm just seeing the same "approved" indie albums on every list.
Well if the album is good then most people will like it and put it on their list. It's the nature of the beast.

I guess none of these sites have love for that much stuff outside of indie rock/pop (I see you, Raekwon). No mentions of Alix Perez or Phonat and both of their albums (1984 and Phonat, respectively) are absolutely phenomenal.

7Th

Silent Ballet's list is complete!

Code:
50. Pg.Lost - In Never Out
49. Mouse on the Keys - An Anxious Object
48. Paniyolo - I'm Home 
47. Danny Norbury - Light in August 
46. Aufgang - Aufgang 
45. Rameses III - I Could Not Love You More
44. Shogun Kunitoki - Vinonaamakasio
43. Ultre - The Nest and the Skull
42. Loren Dent - Anthropology Vol. 1 
41. Altar of Plagues - White Tomb
40. The Autumn Project - This We Take With Us
39. flica - Telepathy Dreams
38. Bell Orchestre - As Seen Through Windows
37. A Broken Consort - Crow Autumn Part Two
36. Last Days - Safety of the North
35. Nadja - Under the Jaguar Sun
34. Aaron Martin - Chautauqua
33. Tu M' - Monochromes Vol. 1
32. Fabio Orsi & Valerio Cosi - Thoughts Melt in the Air 
31. Saxon Shore - It Doesn't Matter
30. Brock Van Wey - White Clouds Drift On And On 
29. Sunn O))) - Monoliths & Dimensions
28. Giuseppe Ielasi - Aix
27. Panoptique Electrical - Yes to Fear; Yes to Desire
26. Fjordne - The Setting Sun
25. Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind
24. Jean-Michel - Tons of Fun
23. Elegi - Varde
22. Gifts from Enola - From Fathoms
21. William Basinski - 92982 
20. From Monument to Masses - On Little Known Frequencies 
19. Sgt. - Capital of Gravity 
18. The Dead Sea - The Dead Sea
17. Klimek - Movies is Magic
16. Zu - Carboniferous
15. The Mercury Program - Chez Viking
14. Fuck Buttons - Tarot Sport
13. Pimmon - Smudge Another Yesterday
12. Clint Mansell - Moon OST
11. Sunwrae - Autumn Never Fall
10. Tortoise - Beacons of Ancestorship 
9. The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble - Here Be Dragons 
8. Mountains - Choral
7. Blueneck - The Fallen Host
6. Alexander Turnquist - As the Twilight Crane Dreams in Color
5. Rhian Sheehan - Standing in Silence
4. Do Make Say Think - Other Truths
3. Christopher Tignor - Core Memory Unwound 
2. Ben Frost - By the Throat
1. Tim Hecker - An Imaginary Country

btkadams

hey i think animal collective was on these.

anyways, lists are decent. a bit heavy on the indie side? also lmao at the billboard readers choice putting rihanna's new album on there. really? i'm down with pop but her latest effort is pretty lame.

Did NYTimes release a list? This is all I found and it's a roundtable discussion podcast where various contributors of the ArtsBeat blog sound off on their one favorite album of 2009: http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/23/weekly-popcast-the-best-albums-of-2009/

I know the LA Times released a more traditional "Top Albums of '09" list: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/chi-091209-best-albums-pictures,0,3084012.photogallery

ETA:

Um, yeah. Knock yourself out, OP. :lol

http://www.largeheartedboy.com/blog/archive/2009/11/2009_yearend_on_1.html

ATF487

I generally have the majority of albums in these lists, or will soon have them, but there's one terrible thing I have to bring up:

Where is Super Furry Animals - Dark Days/Light Years? SFA continues to be the best band that is constantly neglected by everyone, despite getting glowing reviews (they were Metacritic's 3rd best band of the decade)

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
polyh3dron said:
These lists need way more Mew and Miike Snow. What a fucking great year for music though.
I actually think that 09 was quite underwhelming and boring, nothing stood out, there were not "must listen to's" or anything spectacular. I did listen to a handful of albums named on these lists (including the Miike) but none were great.
The thing that blew me away were some rough songs some guy at a forum I go to made, but most consider it noise :lol

Cohsae

hateradio said:
I actually think that 09 was quite underwhelming and boring, nothing stood out, there were not "must listen to's" or anything spectacular. I did listen to a handful of albums named on these lists (including the Miike) but none were great.
The thing that blew me away were some rough songs some guy at a forum I go to made, but most consider it noise :lol
You listened to only a handful of albums from these lists yet apparently you are qualified to declare 09 underwhelming and boring.
So fucking sick of seeing "ugh what a shitty year/decade for music". It's not that it was shit, it's that you haven't heard the good stuff yet, and the only reason you think previous years/decades were better is because for the most part, only the good music is remembered.
There's shit every year, and there's brilliance every year.

ATF487

Cohsae said:
You listened to only a handful of albums from these lists yet apparently you are qualified to declare 09 underwhelming and boring.
So fucking sick of seeing "ugh what a shitty year/decade for music". It's not that it was shit, it's that you haven't heard the good stuff yet, and the only reason you think previous years/decades were better is because for the most part, only the good music is remembered.
There's shit every year, and there's brilliance every year.

I agree with this.

It's really easy to say a year/decade is boring when you don't listen to anything good. Even last year, a relatively "weak" year for music, still had more music than I could even check out.

Sure, it's not the 60s/70s anymore, where all these great bands are popular and brilliant, but there's always great music being put out, you just have to find it.

see5harp

eggandI said:

These lists are about as interesting as all the "mainstream" ones. I wish TV on the Radio would get back to making music again.

Because their audience isn't the same as the ones that love Animal Collective and The Knife? Get real man, one rock band DLC doesn't somehow make them separate from the indiesphere.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I still don't understand The XX's popularity.
But fuck yes to Phoenix. Album of the year!

cms382 said:
I don't think I listened to any albums better than MPP this year, it was more of a singles year.
Next year looks very interesting, though. It's a shame I'll probably have to wait till the end of it for my most anticipated album, the Tron Legacy Soundtrack.

also waiting patiently for that soundtrack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom