• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2009 Music Lists From Music Websites (Updated When They Are)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Looking back the album that I spun the crap out of the most even though I wasn't totally down with the single the 1st one or two times on xm but I liked after I heard a live set was Phoenix.

I'm not even a big fan as I think the rest of their albums are rather weak with a few bright spots, but Wolfgang definitely deserves the props.

PS: I also am not a fan of MPP, but it should come as no surprise as I've never gotten the Animal Collective hype to begin with.

cory

Banned
I don't think I listened to any albums better than MPP this year, it was more of a singles year.
Next year looks very interesting, though. It's a shame I'll probably have to wait till the end of it for my most anticipated album, the Tron Legacy Soundtrack.

Cohsae

I think anyone who doesn't have Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix at number 1 or damn close to it is crazy. Fantastic album from start to finish, and it's good to see Phoenix starting to get a bit more recognition because they've been making great music for a while now.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
The lack of Kap Bambino and Desire on these lists is so disappointing, but I can't say I'm surprised. Was hoping somebody would give them credit, though.

Eric WK said:
Who's this "Animal Collective"? Some sort of furry supergroup?

Lofi-indie-Canadian-Tejano-bloghouse band.

Ceebs

The lack of "Fun - Aim and Ignite" on any list makes me sad. Nice to see Camera Obscura making most lists though.

I really liked Jeremy Jay's Slow Dance. Thought it would at least hover around the 40's or 50's of some of these lists.

Underrated IMO.

liquid_gears said:
Too many indie shtheads.

Last.fm, Rolling stone and Billboard are your best friends..

That said, I welcome the indie shtheads for I love innovative/original music rather than listening to Corporate shtheads with deeper pockets and pretty face.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Top 10 Albums of the Year (voted by triple j listeners)
  1. Phoenix – Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
  2. Temper Trap – Conditions
  3. Muse – The Resistance
  4. Mumford & Sons – Sigh No More
  5. Florence & The Machine – Lungs
  6. Sarah Blasko – As Day Follows Night
  7. Yeah Yeah Yeahs – It's Blitz!
  8. Paul Dempsey – Everything Is True
  9. Lisa Mitchell – Wonder
  10. Passion Pit – Manners

Richard Kingsmill's (triple j Music Director & Presenter 2009)
Top 10 albums of 2009
  1. Dirty Projectors – Bitte Orca
  2. The Bloody Beetroots – Romborama
  3. Sarah Blasko – As Day Follows Night
  4. Grizzly Bear – Veckatimest
  5. Karnivool – Sound Awake
  6. Phoenix – Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
  7. Animal Collective – Merriweather Post Pavilion
  9. Yeah Yeah Yeahs – It's Blitz!
  10. Blakroc – Blakroc

shagg_187 said:

That said, I welcome the indie shtheads for I love innovative/original music rather than listening to Corporate shtheads with deeper pockets and pretty face.

He probably means all the folk/low-fi/twee-pop rock acts.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
GuiltybyAssociation said:
Lofi-indie-Canadian-Tejano-bloghouse band.

Animal Collective I would say is more the frontiers of rocket-billy, the mixture of space age kraut rock and everyone's favorite pomp greaser rockabilly. :lol

Chamber

love on your sleeve
MPP is the first Animal Collective album that didn't give me a headache from nonstop eye rolling. I guess it has that going for it.

pxleyes

Banned
shagg_187 said:

it only took 2 pages, but music elitism rears its ugly head.

GG-Duo

I'm not sure how Phoenix belongs on top 10 lists. I mean, I get it, but it's just pop music, and it's so darn pretty and polished. I didn't find it remarkable. Am I missing something? Lyrics?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
kitchenmotors said:
What exactly on these lists consists as shitty indie music? Enlighten me please.
The majority of the albums on the lists are indie? :lol

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
GG-Duo said:
I'm not sure how Phoenix belongs on top 10 lists. I mean, I get it, but it's just pop music, and it's so darn pretty and polished. I didn't find it remarkable. Am I missing something? Lyrics?

I find it to be pleasant enough background music, but yeah, unremarkable is a good way to describe their sound as a whole. The Shuttle remix of "Love Like a Sunset" is the best thing to come out of the album.

jvalioli

Syth_Blade22 said:
Top 10 Albums of the Year (voted by triple j listeners)
  1. Phoenix – Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
  2. Temper Trap – Conditions
  3. Muse – The Resistance
  4. Mumford & Sons – Sigh No More
  5. Florence & The Machine – Lungs
  6. Sarah Blasko – As Day Follows Night
  7. Yeah Yeah Yeahs – It's Blitz!
  9. Lisa Mitchell – Wonder
  10. Passion Pit – Manners

Richard Kingsmill's (triple j Music Director & Presenter 2009)
Top 10 albums of 2009
  1. Dirty Projectors – Bitte Orca
  2. The Bloody Beetroots – Romborama
  3. Sarah Blasko – As Day Follows Night
  4. Grizzly Bear – Veckatimest
  5. Karnivool – Sound Awake
  6. Phoenix – Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
  7. Animal Collective – Merriweather Post Pavilion
  9. Yeah Yeah Yeahs – It's Blitz!
  10. Blakroc – Blakroc
lol Romborama. Not even in top 10 electronic albums this year.

Doytch

BrandNew said:
I don't like the stylistic approach they took with the album, it doesn't harken to what made me fall in love with the Flaming Lips in the first place–great harmonies and disgustingly catchy pop melodies, all with an edge of awesome glitch sounds. This one just felt way too drone, with no clear peaks or valleys. It just ran for nearly an hour, and I couldn't distinguish either a particularly strong nor weak track. The entirety just felt weak to me.

I guess you could say it didn't grab me. I just want another Clouds Taste Metallic, Soft Bulletin, or Yoshimi.
Fair enough. I tend to do the opposite: overrate albums where an artist I like tries new things (if it's successful.)

joeposh

bearcatjosh said:
http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2009/12/the-25-best-albums-of-2009.html

I will type the list later if you'd like. In a hurry right now.

The Low Anthem not only making this list, but coming in at number 4 is fantastic. One of my best friends from high school is in this band, and they deserve every bit of praise they get. Super talented trio who can play a seemingly infinite combination of instruments. Their live set never fails to impress and clearly illustrates their deep seeded love for the craft. They're going to be one to watch next year...

Cohsae

GG-Duo said:
Being "just pop music" shouldn't be a point against it. Just because pop is usually associated with manufactured crap doesn't mean that the genre is devoid of actual good music.

esbern said:
wtf @ the hipster websites not liking k-os

:lol

Here we go. What hipster websites? How the fuck can a website be a hipster?

If you're speaking about a website that might cater to a "hipster" demographic, I'd only include Pitchfork into that category.

GG-Duo

Cohsae said:
Being "just pop music" shouldn't be a point against it. Just because pop is usually associated with manufactured crap doesn't mean that the genre is devoid of actual good music.

Yeah, I should have unpacked that a little bit more. I'm not even that antagonistic about it.

I just get confused, since there's a lot of pop music out there that's more emotionally involved or more musically audacious, whereas Wolfgang was just kinda a fun dance record...
So what makes this particular pop record better than others? Is it context? Smart, intertexual lyrics? Or is it faddishness?

7Th

Extremely samey lists are extremely samey. They're also extremely predictable. I suppose they do have an audience to please.

7Th said:
Extremely samey lists are extremely samey. They're also extremely predictable. I suppose they do have an audience to please.

You can't really say that when a lot of these sites aren't really much like each other at all.

I'm sad to see Miike Snow only show up on only one of these lists. Great Album
Though my personal favorite was Calvin Harris's new one

Blair said:
RX Bandits - Mandala was my top album of 2009. Nothing really came close.
Agree with you on that one. Incredible album that gets better with each listen. I must have played it 100+ times since it came out and I love it more each time.

armubaba

kitchenmotors said:
Kudos to Stereogum...

Most likely my album of the year. So amazing.

Agreed. I have no idea why it isn't higher on more lists. Just hauntingly beautiful from start to finish.

I was driving around last night listening to MPP, admiring the Christmas lights around the neighborhood on my way home. Probably one of the coolest music experiences I've had in a while. What a great album. Even if you don't agree with some of these lists, you have to admit that this was seriously such an awesome year for music, tons of great new stuff.

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
AvidNobody said:
I was driving around last night listening to MPP, admiring the Christmas lights around the neighborhood on my way home. Probably one of the coolest music experiences I've had in a while. What a great album. Even if you don't agree with some of these lists, you have to admit that this was seriously such an awesome year for music, tons of great new stuff.
Agreed. If you think otherwise, you're either a huge cynic or looking in the wrong places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom