• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallach

Petrie said:
So Steam crew, now that I have purchased 60 or so games, I feel I should get myself some sort of usb gaming headset, especially for the online stuff. Are there any good bang-for-my-buck suggestions you guys have? I'd like to get the 5.1 ones if I can get a reasonable price, but it is not required if theres something that's a better value for my money.

You'll pretty much always be better off sticking to stereo headphones rather than anything that says it is true 5.1 on the virtue of putting more drivers in each ear. The best surround sound you're going to get is Dolby Headphone through a set of stereo cans. To that end, you might consider getting a set of Tritton AX 720s since you'd get the headset, but also the receiver/amp thing that decodes in Dolby Digital (which means you could hook up a different set of cans later that sound better than the AX 720 headset down the line).

Ceebs

Petrie said:
So Steam crew, now that I have purchased 60 or so games, I feel I should get myself some sort of usb gaming headset, especially for the online stuff. Are there any good bang-for-my-buck suggestions you guys have? I'd like to get the 5.1 ones if I can get a reasonable price, but it is not required if theres something that's a better value for my money.
I have a decent desk mic I use along with my nice pair of Ultrasone headphones. No sense in using a headset with much worse sound just to get a mic built into them.

jgkspsx

Picked up the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. pack (which I'll install when I get a new machine!) as well as Puzzler World and the Time Gentlemen pack.

So far, the biggest disappointment and the most exciting game I've downloaded in my Steam buying was Hammerfight. Such an awesome idea, such a beautiful game, such an amusing Dune ripoff, made miserable by the ludicrous and nonconfigurable difficulty level and vertical learning curve. Argh.

My PC game buying of the year:

I already had five or six games in these packs, either for the PC, Wii, 360, but it didn't matter at these prices. I hope they succeed as a catalyst to get more people (like me) into PC gaming.

EDIT: Oh, heck, got CivCity, too. I'm always disappointed in myself when I suck at city-building games, though :lol

causan

So here are my pickups for this years sale:

pickupsh.jpg

Grand total : $100.05

dani_dc

If anyone is on the fence and wants to try Killing floor I have two guest pass.
I'll give it to the first two people to post their SteamID, I just ask that you only ask for it if you're actually curious about the game and wants to try it out before deciding.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GAF I have $1.60 left in my wallet, how can I maximize this? What's the best game/bang for buck under that amount?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Since the sale is ending, I wanted to see if I'd be better off getting Riven for PC instead of iphone, it's much cheaper on steam, but I'm wondering how well they pull it off on iOS.

dream

Wow...I can't even figure out how to start this Void game. :(

/opa

edit: okay, I'm not opa after all...the game is somehow failing to load the main menu.

19:51:49 [10058]: <Error> Error loading texture "limfa_refract"
19:51:49 [10478]: <Error> Error loading texture "w_anim"
19:51:50 [10757]: <Error> Error during calling function of script "ui/main_menu": error reading file to memory
19:51:50 [10757]: <Error> at controls.sci(136)
19:51:50 [10757]: <Error> controls.sci(179)
19:51:50 [10763]: <Warning> Generating 2D 'Texture not found' texture

I love indie games. :(

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
John said:
that and winterbottom. get both!
Got Winterbottom gifted just a little while ago, and CivCity is giving me good vibes like two old Egyptian/Roman city building games that I'm ashamed I can't remember the name of at the moment, which were both awesome. Still want other opinions though.

Or where's that list of other games that weren't daily sales but still very good deals?

Netto-kun

Surprised I only spent 51,22€ on all those games. Felt like I spent way more....and I am not really a PC gamer either.:lol Also gifted the Overlord Pack and Recettear (before it went on sale) to friends, so that's another 10,49€.

steam.png

Owzers

BananaBomb said:
I saw a couple people debating Knights of Honor in this thread. GET IT. It is an excellent game.

I put it on the leftovers list but i'll probably get it next sale....out of the 50 or so games i own on Steam i've only played 4 so far in the past 3 years....

Quake1028

A bit OT, but how can you find out/change where Steam installs your games? Basically I want to have them stop installing on my internal HD and start installing on my external HD.

It's funny that half of the best of deals are horror-themed games and I think every one of them has zombies: Plants Vs. Zombies, Amnesia, Killing Floor, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Left 4 Dead 2, Dead Space,

mattiewheels said:
Since the sale is ending, I wanted to see if I'd be better off getting Riven for PC instead of iphone, it's much cheaper on steam, but I'm wondering how well they pull it off on iOS.
Sound is a big part of the game's atmosphere so I would go with PC, plus some of the things to click are kind of small. But either way it's my favorite adventure game ever.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
CaptainAhab said:
It's funny that half of the best of deals are horror-themed games and I think every one of them has zombies: Plants Vs. Zombies, Amnesia, Killing Floor, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Left 4 Dead 2, Dead Space,

I'm about to buy the fright pack just for "The Void" after Brobzoids post. People love there zombies/Horror

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Dangit, Steam.

dangitsteam.jpg

Total damage: $289.30

Welp so much for this hobby. Nice knowing you, Video Games, see ya later!

(Prey I bought for 2.50 from Gamersgate and used the code for Steam)

dream

Metalic Sand said:
I'm about to buy the fright pack just for "The Void" after Brobzoids post. People love there zombies/Horror

Lemme know if The Void works for you if you get it. I'm trying to figure out why mine won't load its main menu.

Takk

I just got into PC gaming this holiday season.

Here is what I picked up:

Humble Bundle 1&2 - $5.00
Super Meat Boy - $3.75
PB Winterbottom - $.49
Defense Grid - $2.00
Blueberry Garden - $.99
Amnesia: Dark Descent - $4.99

Half Life 2 - $2.49
HL2: Episode 1 - $1.99
HL2: Episode 2 - $1.99
Portal - $3.74
FarCry 2 - $4.99
Stalker Bundle - $4.99
GTA IV + Episodes - $10.00
Batman: Arkham Asylum - $7.50
Bioshock - $4.99
F.E.A.R - $2.49
Crysis + Warhead - $9.99
Company of Heroes - $2.49
Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 - $2.50

Total: $77.18

I haven't played any of these games (or most games for that matter) so I'm really excited.

mm04

I'm thinking about buying Killing Floor for myself and gifting 5 copies to assorted family members. Is it easy to find pick-up matches or are there regular GAF matches going on?

Dizzy-4U

So guys, I'm kinda hungry for Point & Click adventure games. I already have Sam & Max, Back to the Future, Monkey Island, Machinarium, Puzzle Agent and Lost Horizon.

I already played all the classics, so I was thinking maybe Runaway and Secret Files: Tunguska? Maybe?

I'm kinda lost here, any suggestions?

PS: It kinda blows that Lonest Journey and Dreamfall didn't get a discount. I already played them both, but I would have replayed them anyway.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Dizzy-4U said:
So guys, I'm kinda hungry for Point & Click adventure games. I already have Sam & Max, Back to the Future, Monkey Island, Machinarium, Puzzle Agent and Lost Horizon.

I already played all the classics, so I was thinking maybe Runaway and Secret Files: Tunguska? Maybe?

PS: It kinda blows that Lonest Journey and Dreamfall didn't get a discount. I already played them both, but I would have replayed them anyway.
Try and get a hold of Gray Matter somehow even though it isnt on Steam. Its great. Has a fantastic nostalgic feeling of classic adventure games like Longest Journey.

Blizzard

Banned
Dizzy-4U said:

Try doing some searching if the Amazon digital download sale is still on. I got Lost Horizon for $5, and that might be an adventure game though maybe not point and click. I also picked up the AURA and AURA 2 games...I think they're supposed to be Myst-like exploration/adventure? You might find some decent games from $2-5.

Just got the Hitman collection. Meager pickings for me this year.

Jan 2, $7.49 Hitman Collection

Dec 22 $3.75 Bully: Scholarship Edition

Dec 21, $8.59 Lara Croft GOL, Tomb Raider: Anniversary

Also gifted Lara Croft Guardian of Light to my brother. So another 3 bucks or whatever.

Takk said:
I just got into PC gaming this holiday season.

Here is what I picked up:

Humble Bundle 1&2 - $5.00
Super Meat Boy - $3.75
PB Winterbottom - $.49
Defense Grid - $2.00
Blueberry Garden - $.99
Amnesia: Dark Descent - $4.99

Half Life 2 - $2.49
HL2: Episode 1 - $1.99
HL2: Episode 2 - $1.99
Portal - $3.74
FarCry 2 - $4.99
Stalker Bundle - $4.99
GTA IV + Episodes - $10.00
Batman: Arkham Asylum - $7.50
Bioshock - $4.99
F.E.A.R - $2.49
Crysis + Warhead - $9.99
Company of Heroes - $2.49
Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 - $2.50

Total: $77.18

I haven't played any of these games (or most games for that matter) so I'm really excited.

Anybody have the Welcome to PC gaming gif?

dani_dc

Dizzy-4U said:

I think the Time Gentlemen, Please!/Ben There, Dan That! Double Pack is worth looking into.

InertiaXr

I just bought Civ 4 Complete and Medieval 2 Total War Gold and i'm not sure necessarily what I need to install. Do I only need the expansion for Medieval 2, as it's 12GB~ while the base game is about 8GB? Civ 4 same situation, latest expansion BtS is the biggest of the base game and Warlords, so I assume it includes all the previous content? Confused.. :lol

Dizzy-4U

~Kinggi~ said:
Try and get a hold of Gray Matter somehow even though it isnt on Steam. Its great. Has a fantastic nostalgic feeling of classic adventure games like Longest Journey.
Sweet mother, Gray Matter looks awesome! I need this!!!

Blizzard said:
Try doing some searching if the Amazon digital download sale is still on. I got Lost Horizon for $5, and that might be an adventure game though maybe not point and click. I also picked up the AURA and AURA 2 games...I think they're supposed to be Myst-like exploration/adventure? You might find some decent games from $2-5.
Yeah, it doesn't need to be "point & click" per se (that's why I mentioned Dreamfall), any good aventure game will do fine. I'll check the Amazon sales. Thanks.

dani_dc said:
Thanks. I'll take a look.

Bought a bunch of stuff (probably for less than $40 total), but I'm feeling a wee bit disappointed with this year's sale. It's probably because I was traveling for the holidays and didn't actually have the ability to PLAY many of the games (did a bunch of purchasing through my iphone :lol). So I haven't yet discovered that amazing gem that sucks me in like King's Bounty did last Xmas.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I mentioned it some days back, but since this is the final day of the sale and I know people are looking for some last-minute deals, I wanted to bring it up again - this sale is a GREAT way to pick up plenty of high-quality casual games at very very cheap prices. Playfirst's titles specifically are 75% off, and many of them were already just $7 to begin with. Making them now $1.75 - $2.50.

These games, Playfirst's specifically, all feature good production values, are lengthy (for the price) and have mechanics that make them easy to learn, but WILL test even "core" gamers that try to nab expert scores.

I'm NOT talking about bullshit like Farm Frenzy: Pizza Party. or Elf Bowling: Hawaii Vacation. I'm talking about really high-quality stuff like Hotel Dash and Diner Dash.

Even at $7, many of these games would be a little iffy to recommend to everyone. But at $1.75 - $2.50, they are almost all really great deals that will provide several hours of good fun. And despite the "casual" label, some of them get HARD. Parking Dash specifically is a stuff challenge. And it's all-but guaranteed that at least one of them will suck you in, forcing you to nab all Expert scores.

My casual game haul (bolded are my picks for best-of-bunch):

Hotel Dash 1.74 USD
Fitness Dash 1.74 USD
Parking Dash 1.74 USD
DinerTown Detective Agency 1.74 USD
Gemini Lost 1.74 USD
Valerie Porter 1.74 USD
DinerTown Tycoon 2.49 USD
Diaper Dash 2.49 USD
Wedding Dash 2: Rings Around the World 2.49 USD
Cooking Dash 2.49 USD
Diner Dash: Hometown Hero 2.49 USD
Eets 2.49 USD
Chocolatier: Decadence by Design 2.49 USD

Total
27.87 USD

But really, all the Playfirst games are high quality. They don't think "casual" needs to mean "shitty," and their titles show they employ actual game designers. Their (meager) Steam library is 75% off. I'm hoping more of their Dash titles come to Steam soon:

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=PlayFirst

vocab

InertiaXr said:
I just bought Civ 4 Complete and Medieval 2 Total War Gold and i'm not sure necessarily what I need to install. Do I only need the expansion for Medieval 2, as it's 12GB~ while the base game is about 8GB? Civ 4 same situation, latest expansion BtS is the biggest of the base game and Warlords, so I assume it includes all the previous content? Confused.. :lol

You only need to install Beyond the Sword. Colonization if you want something different.

Don't know shit about Medieval.

pirata

vocab said:
You only need to install Beyond the Sword. Colonization if you want something different.

Don't know shit about Medieval.

Wait...you mean I don't have to have Vanilla Civ IV installed in order to play Beyond the Sword?

Joe Molotov

GDJustin said:
I mentioned it some days back, but since this is the final day of the sale and I know people are looking for some last-minute deals, I wanted to bring it up again - this sale is a GREAT way to pick up plenty of high-quality casual games at very very cheap prices. Playfirst's titles specifically are 75% off, and many of them were already just $7 to begin with. Making them now $1.75 - $2.50.

These games, Playfirst's specifically all feature good production values, are lengthy (for the price) and have mechanics that make them easy to learn, but WILL test even "core" gamers that try to nab expert scores.

I'm NOT talking about bullshit like Farm Frenzy: Pizza Party. or Elf Bowling: Hawaii Vacation. I'm talking about really high-quality stuff like Hotel Dash and Diner Dash.

Even at $7, many of these games would be a little iffy to recommend to everyone. But at $1.75 - $2.50, they are almost all really great deals that will provide several hours of good fun. And despite the "casual" label, some of them get HARD. Parking Dash specifically is a stuff challenge. And it's all-but guaranteed that at least one of them will suck you in, forcing you to nab all Expert scores.

My casual game haul (bolded are my picks for best-of-bunch):

Hotel Dash 1.74 USD
Fitness Dash 1.74 USD
Parking Dash 1.74 USD
DinerTown Detective Agency 1.74 USD
Gemini Lost 1.74 USD
Valerie Porter 1.74 USD
DinerTown Tycoon 2.49 USD
Diaper Dash 2.49 USD
Wedding Dash 2: Rings Around the World 2.49 USD
Cooking Dash 2.49 USD
Diner Dash: Hometown Hero 2.49 USD
Eets 2.49 USD
Chocolatier: Decadence by Design 2.49 USD

Total
27.87 USD

But really, all the Playfirst games are high quality. They don't think "casual" needs to mean "shitty," and their titles show they employ actual game designers. Their (meager) Steam library is 75% off. I'm hoping more of their Dash titles come to Steam soon:

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=PlayFirst

I enjoy a good casual game from time to time. Going to try out some of these, thanks!

vocab

pirata said:
Wait...you mean I don't have to have Vanilla Civ IV installed in order to play Beyond the Sword?

Yup.

Only install vanilla if you want a very breif tutorial and hear Baba Yetu.

GDJustin said:

Hmmm, you are persuading me...The Popcap Complete pack I bought a couple years ago was far more than worth the money. No Playfirst Complete Pack, though? Maybe I'll just pick up your recs.

Salsa

well apparently ecoshifting hit the wrong button and bought Pirates! for himself (he already owned it) instead of gifting it to me... yey! :lol

oh well i guess it'll go on sale again ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom