• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry salsa I'm such a dumbass :(
I'm also a wee bit stoned, that might have had something to do with it :S

Somebody help this guy out with Pirates, it's 2.50 and he can't get it in his region. I'd still help but my wife will murder me if I put another dime in my steam wallet :p

GDJustin said:
Eets 2.49 USD

Eets is awesome. I highly recommend it if you haven't tried it yet. A unique spin on the Lemmings formula.

TheExodu5

Banned
steam_2010.png

Kind of got screwed on Dragon Age. I already had Origins, and figured I'd just grab Awakening in the next sale, when I was ready to play it. Then, I got Neverwinter Nights 2, and found it kind of bad, but it made me want to play Dragon Age again. So...I ended up buying the full thing, since I realized the DLC would end up costing me way too much on its own.

I also don't know why I bought Railworks. :lol

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
DBebm5 said:
Hmmm, you are persuading me...The Popcap Complete pack I bought a couple years ago was far more than worth the money. No Playfirst Complete Pack, though? Maybe I'll just pick up your recs.

Some of the titles are only not recommended by me because I haven't played them yet. Diner Dash was Playfirst's huge hit and they've been spinning off it ever since. Some of the spinoffs are great, surpassing the core series. Some aren't.

They're mostly all in the "time management" casual game subgenre though, just each with their own twist. So my suggestion is to buy diner dash: hometown hero and see if you life that. If you like it, nab the other Dash titles.

Eets and Chocolatier are their own thing, but deserve to be owned by everyone.

vocab

TheExodu5 said:

I was gonna buy it for lulz. I asked my self how much I was gonna actually play it, and I said like an hour, and figured it wasn't worth it. I just wanna crash some trains damnit.

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with what I bought. I could of lived without Just Cause 2 (played 8 hours prior to buying it) and Darksiders (neat game, but PC port isn't that great), but what the hell I'll deal with it. Mount and Blade Warband was by far the best purchase.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
faceless007 said:
Sound is a big part of [Riven's] atmosphere so I would go with PC, plus some of the things to click are kind of small. But either way it's my favorite adventure game ever.
Oh, have you tried the iOS version? I wondered if the small screen would be an issue. Mainly wondering about a 1:1 experience with the original.

Yeah Eets is the sort of game I'd love to pass out half a dozen copies of if I had any money left at the end of this absolutely brutal sale. Because the screenshots look kinda dorky and weird...you just really have to play it to see for yourself. Best evolution of the Lemmings formula yet.

Yes I keep mentioning Lemmings to try to get you to buy it.

Did I mention it's a lot like LEMMINGS

Cheech

TheExodu5 said:

I did this as well, and I have no idea why. I don't even want to install the son of a bitch. I have like 40 games on Steam alone I'd rather play. :lol

Aaron

Hinterland! Only $2.50! Okay, that's the last time I'll mention it, but it's really fun and a shame it's not getting mentioned like some of these other games are.

I picked that one up (Grotesque Tactics) but haven't installed it yet. I've read about it several times and was actually kinda hoping it would drop this low so I could snag it. Sounds like the basic gameplay is solid but the actual game itself is extremely repetitive. It gets plenty of compliments for its humor...that's what interested me in it.

One reviewer said the game does a great job of lampooning the genre while at the same time falling into every trap it is making fun of. Sort of like saying - "isn't it stupid that all of these games make you do this? Okay, now go do it." That was enough to convince me to wait till it was sub-$5...but it still seems worth a shot.

Aaron said:
Hinterland! Only $2.50! Okay, that's the last time I'll mention it, but it's really fun and a shame it's not getting mentioned like some of these other games are.

Yep, that's another really good one. That's one of those games that's easy to fall into for hours and hours without even realizing it.

Really, though, the Tilted Mill pack should be sort of a no-brainer. Just...don't buy the pack. Buy them all individually. :p

(though I must confess I have never played Mosby's Confederacy nor ever heard anything about it, good or bad)

Erudite

Aaron said:
Thanks for reminding me, I was interested in it a few months back, but completely forgot about it until now.

Forkball

Ok so I got:

Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Blue Toad Murder Files: The Mystery of Little Riddle
Blueberry Garden
Braid (Humble Indie Bundle #2)
Bullet Candy (Indie 2D pack)
Galcon Fusion (Indie 2D pack)
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved (Indie 2D pack)
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Machinarium (Humble Indie Bundle #2)
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
Mount and Blade: Warband
Osmos (Humble Indie Bundle #2)
Portal (Gift, thanks Speculaywer!)
Super Laser Racer (Indie 2D pack)
Super Meat Boy
VVVVV
The Witcher Enhanced Edition

I also got Cortex Command and Revenge of the Titans in the HIB, but they aren't on Steam yet. All this was about $40-$50. Also, I got a bunch of iOS games, but that was on a giftcard. And I just got Donkey Kong as a gift. I have no idea when I'm going to play all of these games. Half of them aren't even installed. Honestly, all the games I got in the past two weeks could last me all of 2011. But of course I'll probably be buying many more before I even touch some of these titles.

FoxSpirit

Another vote for Eets
Regot on Steam, so awesome.

I'll remention Swords and Soldiers because even at 5 bucks it's a nice pickup with lots of style. Plus trying to win against the CPU in skirmishes is fun. You learn a lot that would've really helped in the campaign :lol

JohngPR

Final damage:

31610f5.jpg

A lot of the deals (KOTOR, Far Cry 2, Deus Ex) I already bought during the Black Friday and 2009 holiday sales. :p

Also, it was cool that I was able to activate Mafia II through steam. :)

Salsa

Its like i want Pirates! but given how i already need to pay up to a fellow Gaffer tomorrow i dont know when i'll be able to pay back for the game (yes i am with that little amount of cash left, lol). I dont want to look like im coming in a thread to ask for a free game but damn im gonna hate myself for passing this up >_<

If anyone can wait to get their 2,5 dollars back i'd be forever greateful.

edit: its not in my region btw

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Ended up with

The Humble Bumble 2
Recettear: The Item Shop
Left 4 Dead 2
Amnesia
NWN2

Also I got Just Cause 2 the week before from a friend for my b-day! :D

Despite all of this I played Neotokyo and TF2 today! :lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
echoshifting said:
Yeah Eets is the sort of game I'd love to pass out half a dozen copies of if I had any money left at the end of this absolutely brutal sale. Because the screenshots look kinda dorky and weird...you just really have to play it to see for yourself. Best evolution of the Lemmings formula yet.

Yes I keep mentioning Lemmings to try to get you to buy it.

Did I mention it's a lot like LEMMINGS
If Eets is like Lemmings then Clones is Lemmings.

jet1911

SalsaShark said:
Its like i want Pirates! but given how i already need to pay up to a fellow Gaffer tomorrow i dont know when i'll be able to pay back for the game (yes i am with that little amount of cash left, lol). I dont want to look like im coming in a thread to ask for a free game but damn im gonna hate myself for passing this up >_<

If anyone can wait to get their 2,5 dollars back i'd be forever greateful.

edit: its not in my region btw

This?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/3920/

By the way, is there a way to change the resolution in Plants Vs. Zombies?

Edit: I also saw Mirror's Edge for $5 in Amazon. Is it Steam compatible?

kai3345

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
steam_2010.png

Kind of got screwed on Dragon Age. I already had Origins, and figured I'd just grab Awakening in the next sale, when I was ready to play it. Then, I got Neverwinter Nights 2, and found it kind of bad, but it made me want to play Dragon Age again. So...I ended up buying the full thing, since I realized the DLC would end up costing me way too much on its own.

how do I get this little report of what ive spent?

SapientWolf said:
If Eets is like Lemmings then Clones is Lemmings.

Clones blatantly copies Lemmings though, it's Lemmings with new skin. Not that there's anything wrong with that, if you want new Lemmings levels and interesting variations then Clones is pretty okay.

Eets takes the formula of guiding idiotic creatures through dangerous environments, adds a dash of Incredible Machine, and blends it up. It manages to be something new.

SalsaShark said:
well.. i cant see it since its not in my region, but i guess! :lol

Sid Meier's Pirates im talking about

Yes, that.

kai3345

Banned
I spent a little over $100.

Not that's like what? 2 games at full price, and I got 18 + Both Indie Bundles

If steam had a vagina I would fucking pulverize it.

Aaron

Sgt.Pepper said:
By the way, is there a way to change the resolution in Plants Vs. Zombies?

Edit: I also saw Mirror's Edge for $5 in Amazon. Is it Steam compatible?
ME is not a steamworks game, so no.

Has anyone tried Spectromancer? Seems intersing. And are the other games in Cyan complete pack any good? I want Riven so I'm interested if any of the others are good.

Damages:

Well I divide up my entertainment budget month-to-month so I ended up buying quite a bit in the last two days. ;p Came out pretty on budget for December though, 100.44, that's right on target. :D

Super Meat Boy
Lara Croft GOL
Clones
Recettear
Darksiders
King Arthur Complete
Shank
FlatOut UC
AI War: Fleet Command
AI War: Children of Neinzul
AI War: The Zenith Remnant
Mirror's Edge
Indie Adventure Pack
Rush
M&B: Warband
Greed Corp
Swords and Soldiers
Dead Space
CivCity: Rome
Guardians of Graxia
Evil Genius
GA: Rome Gold
Jedi Knight Bundle

...then in January I did almost as much damage in 2 days...72.13 :p

The Settlers 7
Company of Heroes
Ion Assault
Swarm Arena
Penumbra Collector's
Medieval II: TW Gold
Everday Genius: SL
Grotesque Tactics
Indie Flight Pack
Indie Brain Pack
Railroad Tycoon II Plat
Jericho
Children of the Nile Complete

So, all in all about $170. About 20 more than I wanted to spend overall, not too bad. Lots of nice, short, cheap indie titles...I tend to get more bang for my buck out of those than pretty much anything else these days. Almost played the Swords and Soldiers campaign to completion already, for instance...lots of fun but not complex enough to keep me interested past the couple of hours I'll put into it.

No more till the summer sale though...I mean it, Steam! This is IT till June.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, Razor 2 sucks. Its a low quality shmup, with bland looking settings, fairly bad sound design, The song in the first stage doesn't start till about 10 seconds in, the sound effects don't really give you and useful feedback, the song is not that great, the announcer's tone is not right for the genre, sounds like something that should be in a futuristic or post apocalyptic RTS, and it can not be heard over the first level's music. The stages go on to long, the boss does not die or give any indication of when it is going to die, and the ships are upgradeable which IMO is bad for a shmup. While the idea is to get the player to play more, for the genre you should not to work for better weapons so you can retry the whole game to see if you can get farther.

What is worse is now I see the game had a Demo, which I should of tried first. Lesson learned I guess, and the trailer looked quiet nice.

Now to see if Top Gun can somehow be worse.

JRW

Man im having an absolute blast with Red Faction Guerrilla lol. Im glad I decided to give it a try during the steam holiday sales, Recently made this video, Blowing stuff up has never been so fun.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Has anyone tried Spectromancer? Seems intersing. And are the other games in Cyan complete pack any good? I want Riven so I'm interested if any of the others are good.

I've put several hours into Spectromancer. It's pretty good gameplay-wise but could have used a lot more card variety. Don't expect M:TG levels of customization...each of the decks is completely the same except for one "element." In other words, all of the decks have the same air/fire/earth/water cards and then one different element on top of that.

That one element is enough to keep it going for awhile, and some of the unique win conditions in the campaign make it pretty fun. Still, it's surprising that even with so few differences between the decks, a couple of them feel insanely overpowered. There's one deck in particular where just seeing your opponent draw its best card means you've probably already lost the match.

There are a couple people in my f.list who put a crazy amount of time into it...the past two weeks it has popped up as #2 in my "Most Played by Friends" list, and that's all due to two people (compared to 29 people for the game in the number 1 spot - Super Meat Boy, or 8 people for the game in the number 3 spot - Recettear). So apparently it can kinda draw you in. ;)

kai3345

Banned
Mafia 2 is fun, played the opening mission and then walked around New York or whatever its supposed to be called for a bit.

It was weird tho, I was doing the benchmark and the HIGHER I put my settings, the better my performance was.

Petrie said:
I have an odd request:

So I didn't do the Steam wallet thing like I should've, and now my CC is locked down, and I can't call till tomorrow, but the deals will be gone by then. Could anyone gift a copy of the kids indy pack to an account for me, and I will paypal the cash as soon as my account gets unlocked tomorrow?

I know it's a lot to ask, but I did the whole waiting till the last day thing as suggested, and now it's looking bleak...

Did anyone help you out with this yet, dude? Your Miz avatar alone lets me trust you :D

Add me on Steam: DyslexicChaos

Anyone else who wants to add me can feel free to.

My profile in case there's an issue with adding my ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/DyslexicChaos

JRW

I still have yet to play a lot of these but this is what I collected during the sales. Ive never played Dragon Age but based on reviews seems like I'd enjoy it,hopefully it was worth the $$

2010_Steam_Holiday_Sale_Purchases.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom