• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe Molotov said:
Just hope there's a midweek deal.
DPwZo.gif
C'mon Gabe man, just one more hit, you know I'm good for it! I'm dying here!

Acosta

I'm doing my "last day sales extravaganza", when I buy (almost) everything I'm interested that has not appeared on the dailies.

After discarding double dipping for NWN2 (come on, I can't be that lazy, I have the game and the expansions already and was thinking in wasting 10 euros just for convenience :p) and Sword of the Stars Complete (sequel comes in some months, I really doubt I could play the original before that), my list looks like this:

Indie Future Pack
Heir to the Throne (to complete Europa Universalis III I bought from sale)
CivCity: Rome
Indie Kids Packs
Grand Ages: rome
Children of Nile: Enhanced
Star Ruler
Blueberry Garden
Time Gentleman (I'm gonna double dip on this for the sake of it.)
Elven Legacy Collection

Does anyone have a suggestion, some obscure and cheap indie game he could reccomend.

(Holy shit, that list alone will take me months to clear and I'm asking for more :lol, and that without counting the dailies I bought.)

Acosta said:
I'm doing my "last day sales extravaganza", when I buy (almost) everything I'm interested that has not appeared on the dailies.

After discarding double dipping for NWN2 (come on, I can't be that lazy, I have the game and the expansions already and was thinking in wasting 10 euros just for convenience :p) and Sword of the Stars Complete (sequel comes in some months, I really doubt I could play the original before that), my list looks like this:

Indie Future Pack
Heir to the Throne (to complete Europa Universalis III I bought from sale)
Indie Kids Packs
Grand Ages: rome
Children of Nile: Enhanced
Star Ruler
Blueberry Garden
Time Gentleman (I'm gonna double dip on this for the sake of it.)
Elven Legacy Collection

Does anyone have a suggestion, some obscure and cheap indie game he could reccomend.

(Holy shit, that list alone will take me months to clear and I'm asking for more :lol, and that without counting the dailies I bought.)
If you enjoy X-Com, I might suggest UFO Extraterrestrials Gold ($4.99), which is basically X-Com's gameplay with a more modern interface.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/37030/

There's also Ceville, the Railroad Tycoon games, the Commandos games, and Tropico Reloaded for low prices. Plus the Broken Sword games. And if you like Myst, the Cyan Worlds Complete Pack is $9.99.

DaBargainHunta said:
Damn it! I got weak and bought Mafia (my damn friend wouldn't stop yapping about it) and the 2D Indie Pack (VVVVVV is BRILLIANT!)

Mafia 2 is worth it at that price. Especially the beginning is very enjoyable.

Ledsen

Wallach said:
You'll pretty much always be better off sticking to stereo headphones rather than anything that says it is true 5.1 on the virtue of putting more drivers in each ear. The best surround sound you're going to get is Dolby Headphone through a set of stereo cans. To that end, you might consider getting a set of Tritton AX 720s since you'd get the headset, but also the receiver/amp thing that decodes in Dolby Digital (which means you could hook up a different set of cans later that sound better than the AX 720 headset down the line).

This sounds very, very interesting. I didn't even know it was possible. Do I need an amp or something? How many games support it? I already have a nice pair of stereo headphones.

Acosta

Zero-Crescent said:
If you enjoy X-Com, I might suggest UFO Extraterrestrials Gold ($4.99), which is basically X-Com's gameplay with a more modern interface.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/37030/

There's also Ceville, the Railroad Tycoon games, the Commandos games, and Tropico Reloaded for low prices. Plus the Broken Sword games. And if you like Myst, the Cyan Worlds Complete Pack is $9.99.

Thanks man, I'm not very convinced at UFO as I still want to play Apocalypse and replay X-Com, but that made me think in getting the Freedom Force packs for getting some tactic action. Also got RRT2 and the two first Broken Sword games.

I think I'm definitely done ;)

Would anyone suggest holding off for a better deal on eversion? I liked what I played, but I know I'll be hit by buyer's remorse the minute it gets hit with 75% off or becomes part of some new indie bundle.

Wish I hadn't overlooked Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.

On an OT note, thanks alot for making that XBox Live Arcade sale one day only, Sega. I was completely out of the loop on that one.

Corto

85,11€ for me.

Indie 2D pack
Indie Flight Pack
Super Meat Boy
AI War Complete
Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum
Hearts of Iron 3
Crysis (gift to a Gaffer in exchange for Plants vs. Zombies and Swords and Soldiers HD)
Mount and Blade Complete
Europa Universalis Complete
Hegemony: Philip of Macedon
Titan Quest Gold
Dawn of War 2 Gold

Now to get a PC to play them with good performance. :D

Patricians and Merchants
OddBoxx
Winterbottom
Star Trek: D.A.C.
The Deus Ex Collection
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition
Commander Keen Complete Pack
Time Gentlemen, Please!
X-Com Complete Pack
Prince of Persia Pack
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Sid Meier's Railroads
Super Meat Boy
Puzzle Quest
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Blueberry Garden
Humble Indie Bundle
Humble Indie Bundle 2 - Retail
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
Railworks
MI:SE Bundle
Clones
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Alpha Protocol
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY
Blue Toad Murder Files
Garry's Mod
X3: Terran Conflict
Future Wars
Magnetis
Tropico 3 Gold
Indie Kids Pack
AI War: Fleet Command
Power of Defense
King's Bounty: Collection
SimCity 4 Deluxe
ProtoGalaxy
Archon
Greed Corp
GTA IV Complete Bundle
Oblivion Game of the Year Deluxe
Just Cause
Zeno Clash
Indie Fantasy Pack
Indie Future Pack
Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes
Fallout Collection

Oh my.

I think the only things I've bought that I'm not actually all that interested in is Winterbottom, Blueberry Garden, Magnetis and Vegas Tycoon. I'm surprised.

cartman414 said:
Would anyone suggest holding off for a better deal on eversion? I liked what I played, but I know I'll be hit by buyer's remorse the minute it gets hit with 75% off or becomes part of some new indie bundle.

Wish I hadn't overlooked Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.

On an OT note, thanks alot for making that XBox Live Arcade sale one day only, Sega. I was completely out of the loop on that one.
When Eversion was first released it was a free download years ago, no idea if that is still floating around the net.

Wallach

Ledsen said:
This sounds very, very interesting. I didn't even know it was possible. Do I need an amp or something? How many games support it? I already have a nice pair of stereo headphones.

You should be able to do it with pretty much anything that supports at least stereo output (I think) but will also take 5.1 or Pro Logic II signals as well. If you already have nice cans you could opt for something like the Astro Gaming Mixamp which also does Dolby Headphone (and has a couple other features like having a voice/game audio balance you can adjust on the fly).

Ledsen

Wow! Thanks whoever recommended VVVVVV, bought it at the last second... I tried the demo and didn't really like it, but the full game is extremely awesome. Kind of a psychedelic hardcore version of Knytt (atmospheric Metroid-style exploration without item progression). Worth the price for the music alone. Buy it now, people!!!

I need some recommendations, I currently have left 4,55 euros in my steam wallet. Only interested in minimal spending, and getting games with a lot of value.
I have already gotten Winterbottom, Toki Toki, CivCity: Rome. I am interested in getting VVVVV, or the pack it is in (indie 2d pack). So if there are any other games I can waste the rest of the wallet with I would love to know.

I should say I like rpgs, puzzle, platformers, strategy, adventure games, but I am open to try other genres like simulation and so on.

Iron Gripe: Warlord looks like fun, strategy and fps (makes me think of Valkyria chronicles), anyone tried it?

I'm thinking of buying the fright pack for a friend whom I think likes horror games. The Path and The Void worth it? The rest look like throwaway games.

Cronox

Banned
Spent $133.93 during the holiday sale, 187.91 since the Thanksgiving sale. Ridiculous. I was only saved by owning many of the good games already.

I have a near 130 game backlog now, not including my 10+ on consoles. Fuck.

And I didn't even buy half of the games I had on my wishlist... It went from 23 to 14 :(

In other news, Activision and Capcom are vastly overrating the value of their respective PC libraries.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I've limited myself to not buying games I already own on consoles/expect to own, and still spent way too much. I feel like I'm just "collecting". =/

Anyway, any indie packs that are actually worth buying? Already have those in the HIBs. Thanks for the advice.

Corto

xelios said:
I've limited myself to not buying games I already own on consoles/expect to own, and still spent way too much. I feel like I'm just "collecting". =/

Anyway, any indie packs that are actually worth buying? Already have those in the HIBs. Thanks for the advice.

I would recommend Indie 2D pack for VVVVV and Geometry Wars, and the flight pack for everyday shooter, flotilla and gratuitous space battles.

Ledsen said:
I use the JVC SU-DH1 on my console setup with a good pair of headphones and it is awesome. IMO much better than buying some 5.1 headphones since I can also use the phones for music with no weird effects. It needs an optical input though -- actually mini toslink, so you'll need a $2 adapter for that. If you can't get toslink out of your PC, look around for something called the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage micro. It's a USB sound card, basically, which does just that. Actually, it purports to do 3D headphone conversion itself, though the tools it comes with don't make that easy to confirm.

Minsc

Gold Member
Corto said:
85,11€ for me.

Indie 2D pack
Indie Flight Pack
Super Meat Boy
AI War Complete
Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum
Hearts of Iron 3
Crysis (gift to a Gaffer in exchange for Plants vs. Zombies and Swords and Soldiers HD)
Mount and Blade Complete
Europa Universalis Complete
Hegemony: Philip of Macedon
Titan Quest Gold
Dawn of War 2 Gold

Now to get a PC to play them with good performance. :D

Titan Quest is really well optimized, maxed it @ 1200p on an ATi X1950 AGP card, don't need to put that one off I think!

MNC

My new shopping cart... I'm thinking of removing one game. Which one do I remove? (Or pack, whatever)
murPW.jpg

Which one goes? :D

Wallach

I'd probably vote Toki Tori not having played that or Time Gentleman, Please! bundle. I bought the latter myself today though.

Corto

Minsc said:
Titan Quest is really well optimized, maxed it @ 1200p on an ATi X1950 AGP card, don't need to put that one off I think!

I will play it on a laptop with an integrated intel GMA while I wait for my PC to come home! hehehehe I'm just holding for the Sandy Bridge chips to come and alter the price range, but I'm not sure if I won't pull the trigger before. I have a beautiful build in mind that I can get at a reasonable price today... Decisions, decisions... :D

MNC said:
My new shopping cart... I'm thinking of removing one game. Which one do I remove? (Or pack, whatever)
murPW.jpg

Which one goes? :D
If you get them gifted from someone in the UK, I think you'd save enough to get them all.

MNC said:
http://i.imgur.com/murPW.jpg[IMG]

Which one goes? :D[/QUOTE]
[spoiler]Why do you have to make it hard[/spoiler]
Were you the person that said they already had played Plants vs. Zombies (I know someone did, this thread is too fast)...if so I'd remove that as its not a new experience...but then again you know what you're getting if you have so its a safe bet. I'd have to say Civilisaiton IV otherwise. Yes its great but the time it eats up potentially jeopardises playing the other games you got...guess the same is true for Plants vs. zombies. Greater good and all that.

Note to self. Last minute visiting of this thread is bad for wallet...

As far as indie packs go I'm getting smarts,kids,2d,beat,mix and brain and now I'm considering even more of the packs :lol [spoiler]I should just add all the stuff to the basket and run while I still can[/spoiler]

Lumine

I got:

Grand Ages: Rome (EU)
GTA IV Complete Bundle
Zeno Clash
Mafia II
Amnesa: The Dark Descent
SimCity 4 Deluxe
Darksiders
Mass Effect 2
Just Cause 2
Bully: Scholarship Edition
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (ROW)
Battlefield Bad Company 2 Standard Edition
Super Meat Boy
Winterbottom

As well as Yakuza 3 for PS3, which was on a sale for 12euro and I couldn't resist. I got BFBC2 and Mafia2 as gifts (thanks again guys!) so that bring my total to around 66 euro. Not bad considering the usual prices. Hopefully I'll find the time to actually play these soon.

Still looking through the Steam pages in case I missed something I want...

I noticed DMC3:SE is on Steam. How is that PC port? And how is Ninja Blade? It kind of looks like a mix between Ninja Gaiden and Demon's Souls. :p

Super Meat Boy
Batman
Mirror's Edge
Winterbottom
Killing Floor

+ Humble Bundle 1 and 2

Came to around 30 dollars.

I also bought Chime and Worms Reloaded early in the month.

I have yet to even touch most of the humble bundle, I haven't touched Killing Floor, and have played Mirror's Edge and Winterbottom for only a few minutes.

KPJZKC

Lumine said:
I noticed DMC3:SE is on Steam. How is that PC port? And how is Ninja Blade? It kind of looks like a mix between Ninja Gaiden and Demon's Souls. :p

Nononono, Ninja Blade isn't remotely similar to Demon's Souls - though you're quite right about it being like Ninja Gaiden, with the addition of having more quicktime events than you could shake a stick at.

It's buggy and pretty cliche, but I enjoyed it - and I haven't been able to enjoy those kind of games in a while (too much DMC) - I don't know if in hindsight I'd have considered it worth €15 though!

Cryostasis for a final purchase? I know it's been a dollar or two but I feel like this is the cheapest it will get for some time since we didn't see a daily at xmas or thanksgiving.

A question about Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, when playing the game co op there are a lot of weird graphic glitches. I have been messing with the graphic settings, lowering and upscaling it. (I don't even use AA!). Even lowered the 3d graphic settings on the laptop.

However the game still glitches, like seeing your partner jump all over places instead of running straight, or enemies spawning and being in mid air then appear suddenly. I don't know if it is only me having these problems. It has been playable most of the time, (except on the first level where you end up underneath those platforms that disappear).

The reason why I am asking here is because I can't find the OT for the game and post in it (closed for some reason).

Lumine

KPJZKC said:
Nononono, Ninja Blade isn't remotely similar to Demon's Souls - though you're quite right about it being like Ninja Gaiden, with the addition of having more quicktime events than you could shake a stick at.

It's buggy and pretty cliche, but I enjoyed it - and I haven't been able to enjoy those kind of games in a while (too much DMC) - I don't know if in hindsight I'd have considered it worth €15 though!

Ok thanks. I'm gonna hold off for now and just stop spending and actually play something. :p

I keep looking at games to buy but then not bothering, I think the humble indie packs have given me enough to play as it is, I own meat boy on 360, bought republic commando which I am currently playing and the SSHD pack was well worth £3, I am sorted for my steam action.

I have no need to buy PvZ as I have an ipod touch :p otherwise i'd be all over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom