• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the indie fantasy pack at the last minute. I wanted the solitaire game and I figgured the card game might be fun as well. The others seem fairly lame. Here's to the pressure of a clock making me spend 5 bucks more!

Anslon said:
I got the indie fantasy pack at the last minute. I wanted the solitaire game and I figgured the card game might be fun as well. The others seem fairly lame. Here's to the pressure of a clock making me spend 5 bucks more!
Heh, for me it was the other way around, I thought the other 3 games were the more interesting ones.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Just nabbed the LucasArts Adventure pack at literally the last minute. Loom, The Dig, and two Indiana Jones adventures. $2.50 for each was was a bit too much (I'm cheap I know), but $5 for the whole pack ($1.25 each) and I couldn't resist.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
This was my first Steam Sale. Thanks GAF you were invaluable in my decision making process.

Got:
BFBC2
The Witcher
Alpha Protocol

Alpha Protocol was the biggest shocker to me. I'm really enjoying it.

LyR said:
I think canada and the UK are the only western world countries which still have Gigabyte Volume limits

I mean come on, O2 UK with only 40GB per month ... in web 2.0 times, what is this ... the stone age ?! I feel with you UK/canuck gafers.

There's plenty UK ISPs that don't have monthly usage allowances, so what exactly are you complaining about? You chose O2, so you chose the cap, if you're unhappy, then switch.

Ryu

Picked up Ttians Quest gold at the last minute as my final game purchase until April. 44 games to play now...

Thanks for the bargains, Steam. Was awesome.

Diablohead said:
I know virgin media allow a good 20+GB per month as I must hit that along with my family video streaming tv from iplayer and so on.

Virgin let you downlaod as much as you want.

They may slow your connection for an hour or two if you download a crapload specifically at peak times, but they'll never restrict how much you can download. Sky have an unlimited plan as well, as I'm sure many others do. If you're capped in the UK, then its your own fault.

I've had months of 200GB+ with both Sky and Virgin and never had a single issue.

Gozan

Damage since end of November:

Batman: Arkham Asylum
Chime
Droplitz
Magic the Gathering: Planeswalkers
Beat Hazard
Just Cause 2
Metro 2033
Bob Came In Pieces
Zombie Driver
Super Meat Boy
Indie Mix Pack: (bought for *)
-Cogs
-DEFCON*
-Eufloria
-Plain Sight*
Indie Brain Pack: (bought for *)
-Big Brain Wolf
-Diamond Dan
-Puzzle Bots
-Windosill*
-Zen Bound 2*
Darksiders
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
ARMA 2
ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead
Wings of Prey
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
King's Bounty Collection (for gift)
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Crysis Wars
Sim City 4
Stalker: Call of Pripyat
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes
Sword of the Stars
Star Ruler

Total: € 138,50.

Dambrosi

Banned
Well, that's it. It's officially over for another year. Thank God.:lol

My absolute final haul:

Deus Ex Collection
Mass Effect 2
Darksiders
Shattered Union
Misadventures of PB Winterbottom
Flatout Ultimate Carnage
F.E.A.R.: Ultimate Shooter Edition
Killing Floor + all DLC Bundle
Serious Sam HD Double Pack
Crysis Complete Bundle

CivCity: Rome
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call Of Pripyat (as part of bundle)
Mafia II + Joe's Adventure DLC
Painkiller: Black Edition
Civilization 4 Complete
Gravitron 2

*those in italics were either paid gifts or, in the case of Gravitron 2, just given out of the kindness of the spirit of giving*

Not to mention the copy of Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box I got free from the EA store by virtue of living in an awesome
ly shitty
country, Green Man Gaming's DEFCON giveaway, and that Puzzler game I was told about in this very thread, and the massive amounts of gifted Mafia IIs, Settlers 7s and that one uncensored UK Bioshock I helped other GAFfers get, and that's rather a lot of business Steam has seen from me this week. I wish they had some sort of loyalty program, like a points card or something, but I guess they don't need it :lol

Either way, I'm glad I got everything I wanted this sale, and also glad I got the chance to help so many fellow gamers out. That was...rewarding, to say the least :D

brain_stew said:
Virgin let you download as much as you want.

They may slow your connection for an hour or two if you download a crapload specifically at peak times, but they'll never restrict how much you can download. Sky have an unlimited plan as well, as I'm sure many others do. If you're capped in the UK, then its your own fault.

I've had months of 200GB+ with both Sky and Virgin and never had a single issue.
Yeah, this. I'm with TalkTalk's unlimited plan, and have never had a single complaint from them, no matter what I download. UK ISPs are cool by me.

Fuck. Now I don't know what to play first.

I guess I'll leave TF2 for the side for a while and finish, Deus Ex....and CivCity, Super Meat Boy, Machinarium and VVVVVV.....with Witcher, Lara Croft and the Humble Bundle.

Damn.

Truespeed

LyR said:
I think canada and the UK are the only western world countries which still have Gigabyte Volume limits

I mean come on, O2 UK with only 40GB per month ... in web 2.0 times, what is this ... the stone age ?! I feel with you UK/canuck gafers.

There are Canadian ISP's that have limits and others that don't - the same is probably true for a lot of the western countries. And for the ones that do have limits you can also pay a bit more to increase your speed and download limit.

Loxley

Final tally, 37 games (including Half-Life 1 expansions). The major ones:

- Call of Duty 4
- Company of Heroes
- CS: Source
- Crysis Warhead
- Defense Grid
- Future Wars
- Half-Life
- Half-Life 2 + Eps. 1 & 2
- Left 4 Dead 2
- Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
- Painkiller: Black Edition
- STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
- STALKER: Call of Pripyat
- Serioud Sam HD: The First Encounter
- Sniper Elite
- Star Wars: Battlefront 2
- Jedi Knight 2
- Jedi Academy'
- Republic Commando
- Team Fortress 2
- Ghost Recon
- GRAW 2
- Tomb Raider: Anniversary
- Torchlight

I very proud of myself for not jumping the gun and buying any publisher packs this year. I don't want to fill up my library with more crap that I'll never play. So overall this year was a huge improvement over last year :D This marks the first time duringn a Steam sale that I actively removed games from my cart after adding them after I gave them a second thought.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I hit $332. (Including pre-holiday sale)

Has anyone beat that yet?

Holy shit, the 2D Indie Pack went up to $27.95 (and all of the other Indie packs went up as well). I had no idea they were that much. Glad I snagged mine for $5 when I had the chance. Worth it for VVVVVV alone (which is now $5 by itself).

Edit: I can't even access the 2D Pack in the store now. It bounces me to the main page when I try.

dani_dc

Here's the ones I got for myself
-Eversion
-Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition
-Delve Deeper
-Indie Mix Pack
-Indie Flight Pack
-Sid Meier's Pirates!
-Killing Floor Bundle
-Lucasarts Jedi Knight Bundle
-Rush
-SimCity 4 Deluxe
-The Polynomial
-Puzzle Quest
-Titan Quest Gold

Gifts I gave away:
-Half-Life 1 Anthology
-Team Fortress 2
-Rush
-Killing Floor Bundle
-SSHD Double Pack
-Super Meat Boy
-Torchlight
-The Witcher: Enhanced Edition

Total: 73,07 euros

And that's not counting pre-holiday sale, I really don't want to go back that far :lol
Didn't think I had spent that much in this sale :lol

Yeef

Starting with the Thanksgiving Sale:

For Me:

AlternativA
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CoP + SoC
Hitman Collection
Lost Horizon
Rush
Serious Sam Gold Pack (US)
Star Wars: KOTOR
Fallout Collection
Altitude,
MI:SE Bundle
Sam and Max: The Devils Playhouse
Dead Rising 2
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Assassin's Creed II
Humble Indie Bundle 2
Puzzle Quest
Everyday Genius: SquareLogic
Eets
Mass Effect 2
Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands
Prince of Persia
Battlefield Bad Company 2 Standard Edition
Super Meat Boy
Indie Kids Pack
Shatter
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!
Chime
Metro 2033 All Languages
Lara Croft GOL
King's Bounty: Collection
Indie Clever Pack
Indie Story Pack

Borderlands

Gifts to others:

The Longest Journey
Football Manager 2011
Lucasarts Jedi Knight Bundle
Team Fortress 2
Team Fortress 2
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
Blueberry Garden
Blueberry Garden
Blueberry Garden
Humble Bundle 1 + 2
Borderlands
Borderlands
Borderlands
Borderlands
Borderlands

DaBargainHunta said:
Holy shit, the 2D Indie Pack went up to $27.95 (and all of the other Indie packs went up as well). I had no idea they were that much. Glad I snagged mine for $5 when I had the chance. Worth it for VVVVVV alone (which is now $5 by itself).

Edit: I can't even access the 2D Pack in the store now. It bounces me to the main page when I try.
Yeah the packs were holiday only but they show up in the charts still (for however long the charts are for as well). I don't know how lnog until the charts clear. Indie Mix pack is £41.95 :lol

Truespeed

I was very conservative this time and only bought games that I would actually play.

Steam

Top Gun
Lara Croft GOL
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY
FlatOut
FlatOut2
Railworks
Battlefield Bad Company 2 Standard Edition
P.B. Winterbottom
Total: $30.13

EA Store

Burnout Ultimate
FIFA 10
Simcity Deluxe 4
Battlefield BC2 Vietnam
Mirrors Edge
Total: $4.99

Green Man Gaming

Defcon
Total: Free

Aaron

Spent about $150. More than I expected, but no more than $30 of that do I consider wasted. Doubt I'll play half of these games before the summer sale though.

Luigi87

For the duration, I got:

OddBoxx - $12.49
Super Meat Boy - $3.75
Killing Floor DLC - London's Finest - $0.99
Mass Effect 2 - $9.99
Killing Floor DLC - Nightfall (Gift)

So not much damage at all, though it took much resistance -- mainly I need said monies for a few other upcoming things.

Just got a call from my credit card's fraud department. Apparently a hundred dollars in steam games over two weeks and some groceries are a cause of concern. Hate to see what would happen if my card really was taken after hearing some iTunes horror stories.

An-Det

Thank god, it's over. I have a low tolerance so I always buy shit, made worse by me gifting to my stepfather a bunch of stuff. I'll post the list of games once I get home, but I'd rather not know how much money it all cost. Ignorance is bliss.

graywolf323

Dambrosi said:
Well, that's it. It's officially over for another year. Thank God.:lol

you mean six months, we have the summer sale now too :lol

oh I caved and added one more thing to my total this morning before it ended (the latest Magic: The Gathering expansion)

AI War: Children of Neinzul
Command and Conquer 4: Tiberium Twilight
Elven Legacy Collection
F.E.A.R.: Ultimate Shooter Edition
F.E.A.R. 2: Reborn DLC
Killing Floor - "London's Finest" DLC Character pack
Mafia
Mafia II DLC - Jimmys Vendetta
Mafia II DLC Joe's Adventures
Magic: The Gathering - Expansion 3
Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum
RUSH
SimCity 4 Deluxe
Sword of the Stars - Complete Collection
Swords and Soldiers HD
Super Meat Boy

total spent - $62.82

also grabbed from Impulse and GOG

Betrayal at Krondor Pack - $4.69
Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich - $2.99
Ghost Master - $2.99
Return to Krondor - $4.69
The Sims 3: Late Night - $19.99

bringing my grand total to $100.66 on holiday sales which is 66 cents above my limit of $100 :p I think I did pretty well

Helmholtz

Truespeed said:
I was very conservative this time and only bought games that I would actually play.
Yep, this is the same strategy I used. Ended up spending around $15 and I've been enjoying what I bought. Should keep me going until the next big release :D

Psy-Phi

GDJustin said:
Just nabbed the LucasArts Adventure pack at literally the last minute. Loom, The Dig, and two Indiana Jones adventures. $2.50 for each was was a bit too much (I'm cheap I know), but $5 for the whole pack ($1.25 each) and I couldn't resist.
Curse you, and curse Steam for still allowing me to buy it at that price 10 minutes after your post!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom