• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010: The Year of the RPG

duckroll said:
Is there really a fanbase for SaGa in the US? Serious question, I'm not sure.

Not much.

I pretty much lost complete interest after Unlimited on PS2. And I haven't heard much about the series since.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Buying:

Final Fantasy XIII (Importing but will double dip)
Final Fantasy XIV
Mass Effect 2
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
Star Ocean 4: International
Tales of Vesperia PS3
White Knight Chronicle
Valkyria Chronicles 2

More reminders that I need a PSP, was very close to buying one again but with how many games I want to play for the systems I have it was passed on once again. Positive I will go through this again with Valkyria Chronicles 2, the PSP seems to have a much nicer library then when I had one in the past.

Sure I will be getting FFXIII and FFXIV, heard mixed things about White Knight Chronicles so we'll see but hopefully the ridiculous amount of time its taking to come over addressed any annoyances the game had on release.

Unsure about Alpha Protocol, but I think I'll get it. Very very unsure of Resonance of Fate.

batbeg

I'm trying to just consider the Day Ones here, as with RPGs I'll often just pick up the ones I'm less hyped for on the cheap.

• 7th Dragon
  • Final Fantasy XIII
  • Final Fantasy Gaiden
  • Resonance of Fate
  • Valkyrie Chronicles 2

Sigh. Wish I had more money, because I want more or less all of those games :lol Have to resist temptation a good deal next year.

Dragona Akehi said:
It's coming.

This is great news, and makes me feel satisfied with adding to to my list.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
does anyone know if DQ V for the DS is already out in the US? If it is, how does it cumpare to the Super Famicom fan translated version?

trinest

I thought this year was meant to be year of the RPG?

Oh well.

Looking at next years line up there seems to be some standout titles.

Fakto

I'm going for :

Mass Effect 2
Alpha Protocol
Resonance of Fate
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIV [the game of the forever, or at least 5 years :D ]

Rad-

These for sure:

ME2
FFXIII

Maybe:

Alpha Protocol (depends on the release month)
Divinity 2 (50/50. I'll wait for more impressions)

Aru

My hype meter (on 10) for each of those games:
- 7th Dragon: 5
- Alpha Protocol: 5
- DQIX: 6
- FFXIII: 10
- FFXIV: 7
- FF Gaiden: 7
- Goden Sun 3: 8
- KH Birth By Sleep: 10
- Mass Effect 2: 7
- Ni no kuni: 6
- PS Portable 2: 3
- Resonance of Fate: 8
- SMT: Strange Journey: 5
- Tales of Graces: 8
- Valkyria Chronicles 2: 10
- Ys VII: 7
- Arcania: 0
- Arc Rise Fantasia: 7
- Ar Tonelico 3: 7
- DQ VI: 6
- Fable 3: 4
- Fallout: New Vegas: 0
- Infinite Space: 6
- The Last Ranker: 7
- Lunar: HotSS: 6
- P3P: 7
- Pokemon SS & HG: 0
- Princess Antiphona's Hymn: 3
- Sands of Destruction: 7
- Shining Force Feather: 8
- Shiren 3: 0
- Shiren 4: 0
- WKC: 7

With this you pretty much know what I really want to play.

Btw, it seems that Agito will be released in 2010 too.

http://www.finalfantasyunion.com/news/final-fantasy-agito-xiii-2010-release-essentially-confirmed--659.html

soco

wow, that second FFXIII pic is not flattering.

need to see more on that, but i'm most excited for ME2 right now.

There's a impressive looking 3D RPG coming to the DS, dunno if this year or next, based on that famous choose your own adventure books. I think it's called Wizard on the Firemountain or something like that.

permutated said:
Not much.

I pretty much lost complete interest after Unlimited on PS2. And I haven't heard much about the series since.

Unlimited SaGa was good, damn it people! If they hadn't put the damn reel outside the battles it would have been great. Now I have to learn moonspeak to play SaGa 2.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Nice thread, looking forward to a lot of these. My favorite genre. :D

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
duckroll said:

Well, TLR did almost 200k on a system not traditionally aligned for that sort of game, so who knows?

duckroll said:
For SaGa? Maybe not. I think there could be some merit in releasing it as Final Fantasy Legend DS and really invoking whatever nostalgia people had for the old one, though.

Infinite Space looks awesome. I...might...actually play one of the DSs in my house. Maybe.

Nice OP, I always love these threads.

Hot damn I can't wait for ME2. I'm really worried about AP, but excited too.

And I'll be buying several PSP titles this year it looks like.

Now, we just need to hear about Vesperia PS3 in the West and I'll be all set for the year.

bengraven

Interesting the number of mainly JRPGers who chose Mass Effect 2 on their lists.

And the WRPGers who chose ME2.

Bioware unites us all in love.

duckroll said:
We're getting Starcraft 2 in 2010 (maybe! lol) so I don't think there's a very good chance for Diablo 3 in 2010. At best I see Diablo 3 released in the first half of 2011. :(

I was just hoping. :(

Shit taste confirmed

If you mean him saying he has zero hype for FO:New Vegas, I agree.

If because of the Gothic game, I somewhat agree. I've been burned by the Gothic series in the past; despite GAF's love of these games I'm still very wary. My hype is at a 5 or 6 for Arcania.

I'm really excited for Obsidian's take on Fallout, but like I think I said before, there's no way this is a 2010 game unless it's rushed.

bengraven

gregor7777 said:
I'm really excited for Obsidian's take on Fallout, but like I think I said before, there's no way this is a 2010 game unless it's rushed.

Yes, I have zero intention of seeing that happen. KOTOR2, despite the fan patch, left enough of a bad taste in my mouth.

Yottamole

Banned
isamu said:
does anyone know if DQ V for the DS is already out in the US? If it is, how does it cumpare to the Super Famicom fan translated version?
It's been out since February, but apparently it's really hard to find now. It's better than the SFC version just for the fact that there's party talk in the remake, giving the characters so much more personality. Of course, there's also improvements in graphics, music, etc.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Mass Effect 2 is my most hyped game, so that'll be the big one for me, but I will definitely get both of the Final Fantasy's. Alpha Protocol seems like the type of game I enjoy, but there doesn't seem to be anything exceptional or even interesting about it. I enjoyed Fallout 3 so the new one has my interest, but I'd like them to take the series in a different direction, perferably with less FPS and more RPG. I like Level 5, but I'm don't really care about White Knight Chronicles anymore. Aside from those games, there won't be much else for me unless 2010 is the year I finally pick up a handheld.

duckroll said:
Well yeah, but it is definitely small.

I don't really have anything to back this up but I would say it is about the same size as the Front Mission fanbase before we found out that FM5 wouldn't get a NA release. :lol

isamu said:

It is. It's drastically better, incorporating a very good script (with less accent hokiness than DQ4), all the added content of the DQV PS2 remake, and party chat.

Stumpokapow said:
Well, TLR did almost 200k on a system not traditionally aligned for that sort of game, so who knows?

Yeah, but like... SaGa is like this family of all these sisters who come from a really weird family. Some of the older ones are a little less weird since they were born before their parents got really crazy, three of 'em went to boarding school overseas and never actually hung around much, and then even though a couple of the next few sisters were pretty hot at the time, they're all increasingly crazy and they wear these bizarre outfits and once you start to hang out with them they start to indoctrinate you into their incomprehensible worldview. Then TLR is like their cousin from out of town -- maybe she looks kind of rough around the edges, and you can tell from the stuff she talks about that she's maybe got that shared family experience that connects her to the SaGa sisters, but she dresses like a normal person and she can hold down a pretty decent job, and then once you start getting closer you find out she's a demon in the sack...

...wait, where was I going with this again?

batbeg

Prime crotch said:
There's a impressive looking 3D RPG coming to the DS, dunno if this year or next, based on that famous choose your own adventure books. I think it's called Wizard on the Firemountain or something like that.

Fighting Fantasy!! I'd get all up in this bitch with pictures and stuff, but it comes out next month I believe, so really has no place here >.>

RedBoot

Segata Sanshiro said:
For SaGa? Maybe not. I think there could be some merit in releasing it as Final Fantasy Legend DS and really invoking whatever nostalgia people had for the old one, though.

Yeah, it seems like a decent amount of people played the Final Fantasy Legend games, most of whom would have no idea that they were actually SaGa games. It would indeed be better for sales if it were called Final Fantasy Legend 2 DS, but nobody does that kind of renaming over here anymore.

As far as SaGa's notoriety over here, I think SaGa Frontier sold pretty well, since it was riding on the popularity of Square RPGs at the time (thanks to FF7). I doubt that SaGa Frontier 2, Unlimited Saga, or Romancing SaGa did that well, but like I said, we have yet to miss a SaGa game over here since Romancing SaGa 3. So I'm still holding out hope.

Johann

bengraven said:
Interesting the number of mainly JRPGers who chose Mass Effect 2 on their lists.

And the WRPGers who chose ME2.

Bioware unites us all in love.

I always felt Mass Effect was the Western counterpart to Chrono Trigger. If you ignore the side quests, you have a short, fast paced RPG with varied environments, an assortment of scenarios, and plenty of replay value. A lot of friends (who prefer handheld JRPGs) ended up loving it.

bengraven said:
I was just hoping. :(

Look at the bright side. Diablo 2 patch 1.13 will hold us over until Diablo 3's 2011 2012 release!

tokkun

Stumpokapow said:

But what percentage of people who bought the game knew it was from the SaGa team? 1%?

If you look at the trailers for the game, it was marketed as if it were just like FFXII.

Yaweee

The only two on the list that are absolute Day One purchases for me are Strange Journey and 7th Dragon, but there's a ton there that I'm interested in pending a price drop (everything inflated by the S-E tax), system purchases (PS36), or more information.

There are a few other TBA games that, if they're coming to the US, will be in 2010. I don't know how Class of Heroes 1 did, but it's sequel came out in Japan over the summer and seems to have fixed at least some of the game's biggest problems. Elminage 2 looks at least kind of interesting, though neither of its predecessors getting brought over is a bad sign.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
bengraven said:
Yes, I have zero intention of seeing that happen. KOTOR2, despite the fan patch, left enough of a bad taste in my mouth.

Only cause you joined a cult.

Blueblur1

Nice work, OP! Great thread! I'm mostly looking forward to Phantasy Star and Persona 3 but I'm sure to give a few of those other games a try. I see myself buying a shit-ton of games in 2010.

Coxswain

There's a really weird perception thing going on with me and this year's set of RPGs. I saw the thread title, and thought "that's crazy, it's not that good a lineup". Then I opened the thread and read through the list, and thought the same thing. Then I actually went through and counted out what I was interested in, and pulled like eleven goddamn games out of it, at least four or five of which I'm actually really excited for. So it is a hell of a lineup, but I guess I'm just so incredibly disinterested by a few of them that the list as a whole seems like a wash. Weird.

Coxswain said:
Then I actually went through and counted out what I was interested in, and pulled like eleven goddamn games out of it, at least four or five of which I'm actually really excited for. So it is a hell of a lineup, but I guess I'm just so incredibly disinterested by a few of them that the list as a whole seems like a wash. Weird.

If you can count more then 10 games you'd like to play next year for any reason I'd say its a good thing. That's a year of entertainment regardless of genre ;)

zoku88

ethelred said:
7th Dragon: 5 It would be higher if I didn't already have the JPN version. I already know it's a good game, but I'm not sure if I want to double-dip (ok, I probably will.)

Alpha Protocol: 0 I know almost nothing about this game, therefore I can't really be hyped about it :lol Don't usually like WRPGs.
Dragon Quest IX: over 9000
Final Fantasy XIII: 6 I haven't really been a big fan of the FF series and I hated the battle system of XII. I haven't really taken the time to learn much about this game.
Final Fantasy XIV: 0 :lol
Final Fantasy Gaiden: 8 Looks solid. And kinda cute.
Golden Sun 3: I never really finished the 2nd one. It was kinda bland and ordinary.
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep: 2 I probably won't be getting this. I've never really been into the KH games.
Mass Effect 2: 2 The number would be different if I had played the first one. Maybe once I graduate, and I build a new PC (aka, when Im getting actual income), Ill pick the first one up.
Ninokuni: 4 Don't know much about this one. I've never actually been a fan of Ghibli stuff. And I haven't really played many Level 5 games (hated DC, but this seems unrelated.) I'd have to learn more about the battle system to actually make an accurate judgment.
Phantasy Star Portable 2: 0 Not a big fan of mission based RPGs.
Resonance of Fate: 9 The videos seemed cool. And I like VP (although, I didn't like 2 very much.) Also liked Radiata Stories, so I may be a Tri-Ace fan.
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey: 10 Very little can stop me from getting this. I've loved SMT since Nocturne (which, I guess isn't very long.)
Tales of Graces: 7 Liked ToS and Vesperia seems nice (don't actually have a 360.)
Valkyrie of the Battlefield 2:10 Loved the first one. Don't think the experience will change just because it's on the PSP. Haters can die :p
Ys 7: 8 Never played one before. I like the art/music though. Looks fun. I'll give it a shot if it comes to the States.
My hype levels that no one cares about ^^

Top Bottom