• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010: The Year of the RPG

kiryogi

Banned
Actually thinking about it. I just mentioned it on IRC but, I'm glad someone made this thread. But why Ethelred? The OP is full of bias and lack of information/assets. ArT3 without screenies? And what's with the choice of screens? Some very not flattering at all. Like Graces, and again there's the pokemon Plat screens for Heart Gold/Soul Silver. I'd like it if someone else made it or allow edits to be made to it.

duckroll

kiryogi said:
Actually thinking about it. I just mentioned it on IRC but, I'm glad someone made this thread. But why Ethelred? The OP is full of bias and lack of information/assets. ArT3 without screenies? And what's with the choice of screens? Some very not flattering at all. Like Graces, and again there's the pokemon Plat screens for Heart Gold/Soul Silver. I'd like it if someone else made it or allow edits to be made to it.

Instead of complaining like a whining fanboy, why don't you offer suggestions to improve what you deem to be inaccurate or additions you feel should included? I see many other people having chimed in to improve the OP, and I just see you whining. That doesn't reflect very well!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
duckroll said:
Instead of complaining like a whining fanboy, why don't you offer suggestions to improve what you deem to be inaccurate or additions you feel should included? I see many other people having chimed in to improve the OP, and I just see you whining. That doesn't reflect very well!

:lol :bow

I was going to post a GIF but Duckroll pretty much summed it up

ethelred

kiryogi said:
Uh, why isn't Phantasy Star on that list? Hell you included Pokemon. I understand you want an solid list of RPGs and that you weren't ever a fan of what happened to Phantasy Star. But the first and the second one actually has a pretty reasonable amount of love from folks out there unlike the first rendition of PSU.

Phantasy Star Portable 2 isn't there because I forgot about it. Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread and I already replied and said I'd add it.

kiryogi said:
Hum. Didn't 2chan flame the hell out of it, not to mention it's one of SDK's weaker soundtracks in a long time. A super snore inducing boss BGM from what I've seen. I think the only praise it might have gotten was for the LoH sequel previews it included.

I couldn't possibly give a rat's ass what 2chan thinks or says about anything, or whatever their flames may have been. Aeana -- a reasonable, fair, and intelligent gamer, as opposed to a whiny fantwat like most people on 2chan or like yourself -- played through it and wrote up a very detailed and thorough review. Her write-up, on the basis of how much a fan of the Ys series she is, was enough for me.

kiryogi said:
Actually thinking about it. I just mentioned it on IRC but, I'm glad someone made this thread. But why Ethelred?

ethelred made the thread because ethelred decided to make the thread and then he wrote up all the stuff to make the thread. If kiryogi had wanted to make the thread, he certainly could have done so! But he didn't. If anyone else on GAF had wanted to make such a thread, they could have done so, too. But no one else did it, either. I wasn't volunteered by a Brain Trust decision, or elected by the populace to do this, I wasn't hired to do it; I decided it would be a nice thread to make, so I made it.

Gee. Complicated question, huh?

kiryogi said:
The OP is full of bias and lack of information/assets.

:lol

kiryogi said:
ArT3 without screenies? And what's with the choice of screens? Some very not flattering at all. Like Graces, and again there's the pokemon Plat screens for Heart Gold/Soul Silver.

Again, just like with Phantasy Star Portable 2, your questions would be answered if only you would... read! There were no screens of Ar Tonelico 3 because I didn't see any out there. Durante helpfully provided some, and I thanked him for it and told him I'd add them -- just like I added FF14 after a suggestion was made, and just like I thanked Stumpy for a few of the PC suggestions he made, too.

kiryogi said:
I'd like it if someone else made it or allow edits to be made to it.

Go fuck yourself.

okenny

Banned
Alpha Protocol and Mass Effect 2 being all that's on that list that grabs me makes me wish Todd Howard and his crew didn't need sleep :(

Resonance of Fate is the only JRPG that sounds appealing to me. Then again, The Last Remnant and Magnacarta 2 had "fast-paced, tactical combat" and both had lukewarm receptions. Why can't Japanese developers make a JRPG with good combat/gameplay, a good cliche-less story, and non-anime graphics?

JRPGs aside, I'm really looking forward to Alpha Protocol and ME2. I barely know anything about Alpha, which is good, but I hope it delivers the best example of making choices since Deus Ex.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
EviLore said:
And describing yourself in the third person
Drkirby was contemplating doing this, but just about everything Drkirby thinks to type out in the third person sounds stupid when Drkirby reads it back to him self.

duckroll

ShineALight said:
Because then it would be a WRPG?

:p

That's funny, because most WRPGs have pretty poor combat systems, and unbalanced gameplay mechanics which either get repeatedly patched, or stay broken. It's true that most WRPG have far superior writing on average, and obviously non-anime graphics, but the genre also suffers from the same problem of having cliched character archetypes. They're just different archetypes from the JRPG ones.

Durante

duckroll said:
I see many other people having chimed in to improve the OP
Well, I'll try to do my part, ready for copy/paste ease of use:

Arcania - A Gothic Tale
Developer: Spellbound
Publisher: JoWood
Platform: PC / Xbox 360
US Release: TBA (confirmed as no sooner than march in Germany)
Why It's Notable: Previously known as Gothic 4: Genesis, this is the next entry in the Gothic series -- renamed as to be more palatable to the North American audience. Though the game is no longer developed by the original Gothic creators Piranha Bytes (who have gone on to release Risen), it has been confimed time and again by the publisher to stay true to the series' roots. The Gothic games are known for their particularly believable, "living" world and strongly opposed factions the player can join. After the middling third entry in the series can Spellbound (probably best known on GAF for Giana Sisters DS of all things) and JoWood turn it around? We'll find out in 2010.

a7afb9cad8.jpg

8f9e372140.jpg

I could also provide a slightly less biased "Why It's Notable" for AT2.

Dineren

Banned
Fantastic thread. I'll probably end up with most of the games on that list, but I am most excited for DQ9. It and Strange Journey can't come soon enough!

duckroll said:
That's funny, because most WRPGs have pretty poor combat systems, and unbalanced gameplay mechanics which either get repeatedly patched, or stay broken. It's true that most WRPG have far superior writing on average, and obviously non-anime graphics, but the genre also suffers from the same problem of having cliched character archetypes. They're just different archetypes from the JRPG ones.
So all RPGs suck then? You've sure made my day.

Is Gothic 3's reputation really so bad as to have two new games in the universe that don't bear the franchise name? I played some and liked it (community patched to shit. Patch was almost a gig) and many agree that it was good after patches. They can't get past that rep?

Durante

James Woods said:
Is Gothic 3's reputation really so bad as to have two new games in the universe that don't bear the franchise name? I played some and liked it (community patched to shit. Patch was almost a gig) and many agree that it was good after patches. They can't get past that rep?
Well, one thing is the reputation caused by the official release, but the other seems to be JoWood's impression of the name having something to do with the series' lack of success in NA. We'll see how that turns out.

eggandI

Banned
MikeE21286 said:
holy shit does Alpha Protocol look exactly like Mass Effect
Yeah. The CIA thing is cool though. Hopefully the combat/character customization is deeper than in mass effect.

ChoklitReign said:
So all RPGs suck then? You've sure made my day.

Not all! the vast majority!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
James Woods said:

PB broke away from JoWood. I assume Risen isnt the same world. The failure of Gothic 3 probably has to do with Arcania's name.

kiryogi

Banned
duckroll said:
Except people have chimed and get ignored. Ie for the pokemon screens? Ethel just wrote it off as same thing. And aeana is anything but reasonable depending on the genre in question anyway. Honestly. The first impression you get from the op. Like the first 5 titles are mostly tradiontal titles and ones that didn't make it weren't traditional enough or something

duckroll

kiryogi said:
Except people have chimed and get ignored. Ie for the pokemon screens? Ethel just wrote it off as same thing. And aeana is anything but reasonable depending on the genre in question anyway. Honestly. The first impression you get from the op. Like the first 5 titles are mostly tradiontal titles and ones that didn't make it weren't traditional enough or something

I'm not asking, I'm telling you. Stop whining.

bengraven

Great thread!

I'm interested in:

Mass Effect 2
Fallout: New Vegas
Fable 3
Alpha Protocol
Arcania: A Gothic Tale
At This Point JRPG Players Have Stopped Reading This Response
FFXIII
FFIV Online (PC version)
Lunar !!!
Shiren Wii
FF Gaiden (first I've heard of this...very cool and interesting...)/Golden Sun (wish I had my DS again)
Birth By Sleep
Ninokuni (okay, I really need to get a DS)
PSP2
Persona 3 Portable

FF XIII
GS 3
KH: BBS
Tales of Grace
Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver

I can't wait for these games! Pokemon Heart Gold is going to take more of my time than the other 4.

duckroll

bengraven said:
Agreed.

Maybe we'll get Diablo III in 2010. haha

We're getting Starcraft 2 in 2010 (maybe! lol) so I don't think there's a very good chance for Diablo 3 in 2010. At best I see Diablo 3 released in the first half of 2011. :(

I suppose the RPGs I'm most excited about in 2010 would be KH BbS and Alpha Protocol. I'll definitely want to try ToG as well, and I should have a Wii by the time it's released in English. I want to play Arc Rise Fantastia too, so I hope Ignition doesn't mess up the localization. Ugh. Will probably pick up Sands of Destruction as well just to check out how much the game has improved from the Japanese version. It'll be interesting for me to do a direct comparison, and see if Mikage means what he says about balancing the game well this time round.

Synless

So many FF's and DQ's in 1 year!!!!! ME2 and a handful of other RPG's my year is almost booked just off these games!!!!!!

duckroll

kiryogi said:
Hum. Didn't 2chan flame the hell out of it, not to mention it's one of SDK's weaker soundtracks in a long time. A super snore inducing boss BGM from what I've seen. I think the only praise it might have gotten was for the LoH sequel previews it included.

http://pspmk2.net/title.php?title=568
http://pspmk2.net/list.php?genre=41&sort=point

Reader reviews at Mk2 peg it as one of the best RPGs on the PSP, so no, I don't think anyone "flamed the hell out of it". Lulz. Try harder next time.

I don't know, I am a little discouraged by the fact that S-E hasn't mentioned anything about a NA release for SaGa 2: GoD. It might just be that they don't want to spend any money on marketing so it will just magically appear on retailers lists a month or two before S-E is ready to release it.

That is what I am hoping anyway.

duckroll

Schopenhauer said:
I don't know, I am a little discouraged by the fact that S-E hasn't mentioned anything about a NA release for SaGa 2: GoD. It might just be that they don't want to spend any money on marketing so it will just magically appear on retailers lists a month or two before S-E is ready to release it.

That is what I am hoping anyway.

Is there really a fanbase for SaGa in the US? Serious question, I'm not sure.

Top Bottom