• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010: The Year of the RPG

Big B

7th dragon looks really good. Please come over to the US soon, along with DQ XI.

Are there any Jrpgs for the 360 next year?

duckroll

Big B said:
7th dragon looks really good. Please come over to the US soon, along with DQ XI.

Are there any Jrpgs for the 360 next year?

No traditional JRPGs I can think of, but the 360 is getting NieR Gestalt, which is an action RPG.

I don't think DQXI is coming anytime soon though, 2013 is probably the earliest it'll hit Japan...

Durante

Since this seems to be the popular thing to do I'll list my "must buys" for 2010:

Ar Tonelico 2
Alpha Protocol
Final Fantasy XIII
Mass Effect 2
Valkyria Chronicles 2
New Vegas (if it makes it)
Atelier Rorona

And that's it so far -- a nicely varied selection. I'm also watching Arcania and the new tri-Ace game, and some other stuff, but even just restricted to the must-buys above the year looks great.

Quixzlizx

Durante said:
Since this seems to be the popular thing to do I'll list my "must buys" for 2010:

Ar Tonelico 3

I know you said you're probably importing, but I'm not too optimistic about it being localized in 2010.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Zefah said:
Considering I live in Japan and lots of the stuff in your post is already out or is coming out this year and the fact that Dragon Age has been my most anticipated RPG in recent memory, I have to say that 2009 easily beats 2010 as "Year of the RPG".

:lol :lol :lol

100% agreed

This comes out thursday and I can't wait

Final Fantasy Gaiden
Developer: Square Enix / Matrix
Publisher: Square Enix
Platform: Nintendo DS
US Release: TBA
Why It's Notable: XIII isn't the only Final Fantasy game slated for next year; in addition to the big one's continued progressive evolution of the Final Fantasy series, we're also getting Gaiden, a retro-styled game rooted in old school turn-based gameplay with a modernized touch. Gaiden features the return of the fan favorite, the Job System -- only this time, with a bunch of brand new and rather unique jobs. The game is being directed by Takashi Tokita (FF4, Chrono Trigger, Live a Live, Parasite Eve), with art direction by Akihiko Yoshida (FFT, FF12, FF14) and development by Matrix (the team responsible for the DS Final Fantasy remakes). The game has not yet been confirmed for a US release, but it'll almost certainly be out next year.

I am way more hyped for this than FFXIII

Durante

RurouniZel said:
Great thread, but it's lacking Sakura Wars: So Long My Love! :(
Oh, I also forgot about that. Somehow I still had this in mind for this year. Yeah, so I'll get Sakura Wars as well.

Quixzlizx said:
I know you said you're probably importing, but I'm not too optimistic about it being localized in 2010.
Yes, I'm planning to import it. I may not finish it if I capitulate to the Kanji dictionary first though, and I'll certainly also get the US version if/when it is released.

duckroll

Blackace said:
I am way more hyped for this than FFXIII

Well, since you actually live in Japan, you might consider getting it in 1-2 weeks instead of this week. It should be at half price by then.

Blackace

duckroll said:
Well, since you actually live in Japan, you might consider getting it in 1-2 weeks instead of this week. It should be at half price by then.

1 or 2 weeks? FF game? half-price? in Japan?

:lol :lol :lol :lol

duckroll

Blackace said:
1 or 2 weeks? FF game? half-price? in Japan?

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Maybe you missed how Echoes of Time did. FFG is going to do really poorly, seriously. :p

(I'm not talking about FFXIII)

Blackace

duckroll said:
Maybe you missed how Echoes of Time did. FFG is going to do really poorly, seriously. :p

(I'm not talking about FFXIII)

Doesn't really matter here. Almost all of there games stay at 4000 to 5000 yen until they become ulitmate hits.. It is just how S-E rolls.

duckroll

Blackace said:
Doesn't really matter here. Almost all of there games stay at 4000 to 5000 yen until they become ulitmate hits.. It is just how S-E rolls.

Maybe you're stopping in shitty places! :lol

Blackace

duckroll said:
Maybe you're stopping in shitty places! :lol

Just almost every major retail outlet in the area sharp guy!

Even the used game shops matain a high price on most SE items.

I can promise that it won't be weeks in Japan for a price drop.. And most major outlets will roll full price for a long time.

Also, I don't think FFG will "bomb" might not be DQ9 but it shouldn't bomb. FFG is going back to the FF roots. It should have a bunch of throw back gamers hungry for that good old feeling again afater DQ9..

kiryogi

Banned
Quixzlizx said:

I dunno at the rate NISA's been going. I'm thinking fall or winter 2010 for domestic.

duckroll

Blackace said:
Just almost every major retail outlet in the area sharp guy!

Yeah, major retail outlets = shitty places to shop for mainstream stuff!

Also, I don't think FFG will "bomb" might not be DQ9 but it shouldn't bomb. FFG is going back to the FF roots. It should have a bunch of throw back gamers hungry for that good old feeling again afater DQ9..

I guess it depends on how you quantify a bomb. It's not going to do 200k in the first week even, that's for sure. I don't think how we personally feel about the game has any realistic traction on how well a game actually does in the market. I honestly do not for a moment believe that there are a huge bunch of throw back hungry gamers waiting for anything like this. The fact that S-E hasn't really been marketing it much at all is also another factor why sales expectations for this title is exceptionally low for a "FF" title.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
reading about 7th dragon on gamefaqs (yeah) actually lowered my expectations. i really love etrian odyssey, but this seems to be kind of a step back from that instead of forward. sounded from what i read that they dumbed things down a bit, and the interface and battles aren't as intuitive/streamlined as EO's. are there any overarching concepts about the game that set it apart, besides the dragon hunt? this is from those playing the japanese version though, so maybe things can change a bit if it comes here.

Blackace

duckroll said:
Yeah, major retail outlets = shitty places to shop for mainstream stuff!
But spending 1500 on the train to try to maybe save 2000 on something that might be discounted in some small hole in the wall shop doesn't do it for me. Also I love getting points from the big places.. Also the big places are quick to discount most stuff if it bombs. Just not S-E stuff

I guess it depends on how you quantify a bomb. It's not going to do 200k in the first week even, that's for sure. I don't think how we personally feel about the game has any realistic traction on how well a game actually does in the market. I honestly do not for a moment believe that there are a huge bunch of throw back hungry gamers waiting for anything like this. The fact that S-E hasn't really been marketing it much at all is also another factor why sales expectations for this title is exceptionally low for a "FF" title.

They have been marketing a fair amount. I see train ads, and huge displays in the shitty places where everyone goes..

I have seen 1 TV ad.. but not much airtime...

And I honestly do believe there are quite a few hungry throw back gamers in Japan. Is this game the answer? Not sure. But I think for a DS title it should have a bit of success.

duckroll

mattiewheels said:
reading about 7th dragon on gamefaqs (yeah) actually lowered my expectations. i really love etrian odyssey, but this seems to be kind of a step back from that instead of forward. sounded from what i read that they dumbed things down a bit, and the interface and battles aren't as intuitive/streamlined as EO's. are there any overarching concepts about the game that set it apart, besides the dragon hunt? this is from those playing the japanese version though, so maybe things can change a bit if it comes here.

The import boards for Gamefaqs are actually populated with some pretty decent posters. It's the mainstream boards which are mostly filled with crap and noise. Maybe you want to check out the 7th Dragon import thread here? Me and Doctor_No both finished the game, and posted a substantial amount of impressions about it.

The first thing is not to expect 7D to be EO3, since it's more of a traditional style oldschool JRPG, and not entirely a dungeon crawler. There are towns, story events, etc. The second thing is that, I would sort of agree that in terms of execution and interface, it is not as polished as EO. But the actual scope of the game is larger than a EO game (there are actually characters and plot this time round), and it's not just a "dragon hunt" but rather it is a RPG where it simulates the feel of an alien invasion (well, a dragon invasion) having overtaken the entire planet, and you're helping fight back, one step at a time.

I had a blast with the game personally.

Blackace said:
But spending 1500 on the train to try to maybe save 2000 on something that might be discounted in some small hole in the wall shop doesn't do it for me. Also I love getting points from the big places.. Also the big places are quick to discount most stuff if it bombs. Just not S-E stuff

Yeah that's a very good point. If the cost of transport overrides the savings, then it's really pointless. Especially with the extra investment of time as well. Didn't think of that! :(

They have been marketing a fair amount. I see train ads, and huge displays in the shitty places where everyone goes..

I have seen 1 TV ad.. but not much airtime...

And I honestly do believe there are quite a few hungry throw back gamers in Japan. Is this game the answer? Not sure. But I think for a DS title it should have a bit of success.

Well obviously I don't mean the marketing is at a level where the game will do under 100k, like actual bombas. But for a game carrying the FF name, I don't see S-E really doing much to make it a substantial success. It's a FF titled game, coming out shortly after DQIX, on the DS. But yet, I just don't see it doing the sort of sales you would normally expect given that combination.

Blackace

duckroll said:
The import boards for Gamefaqs are actually populated with some pretty decent posters. It's the mainstream boards which are mostly filled with crap and noise. Maybe you want to check out the 7th Dragon import thread here? Me and Doctor_No both finished the game, and posted a substantial amount of impressions about it.

The first thing is not to expect 7D to be EO3, since it's more of a traditional style oldschool JRPG, and not entirely a dungeon crawler. There are towns, story events, etc. The second thing is that, I would sort of agree that in terms of execution and interface, it is not as polished as EO. But the actual scope of the game is larger than a EO game (there are actually characters and plot this time round), and it's not just a "dragon hunt" but rather it is a RPG where it simulates the feel of an alien invasion (well, a dragon invasion) having overtaken the entire planet, and you're helping fight back, one step at a time.

I had a blast with the game personally.

This is the key. No reason to compare it to EO at all.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Blackace said:
This is the key. No reason to compare it to EO at all.
Don't get me wrong, I only mention it because of the producer and because I'm a big fan. No problem with it being entirely different, which it's starting to look to be. Just curious as to aspects of 7th dragon that really grabbed you guys...duckroll, could you possibly link me to that discussion on GF in case I can't find it?

duckroll

mattiewheels said:
Don't get me wrong, I only mention it because of the producer and because I'm a big fan. No problem with it being entirely different, which it's starting to look to be. Just curious as to aspects of 7th dragon that really grabbed you guys...duckroll, could you possibly link me to that discussion on GF in case I can't find it?

The director you mean? The producer of EO is Hashino, and the producer of 7D is Kodama.

Here's the thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354150

Llyranor

Does 7D allow the player more room for customization/experimentation of character builds? Can you opt for multiple roles for individual characters, while still having them be relatively effective at most of those? For example, if I want the samurai to actually be decent at multiple stances (and thus being to switch between them when I deem it tactically relevant, rather than just picking one because that's the only one I can afford to invest in), or if I want the princess to be good at buffing - but also to provide other healing/support functions, or want the mage to be able to use all the main elements competently? Is this kind of stuff viable? Of course, there's always the issue of balancing between a jack-of-all-trades char vs one who maxed out only a few of them, but EO just felt like it didn't strike that balance as well as I would have liked (felt the samurai was pretty useless with all the stances, and that they didn't provide substantially different tactical roles between them, whereas I could just be more efficient with just a fighter with one special attack; or, the bard just felt like a character that was mainly there to buff up the party attack - since it took so long to boost up extra abilities if you wanted some of the better ones like mp regen). While it's important to have very distinct roles for characters/classes, a lot of the party customization occured at the actual customization screen, outside of battle. I would have enjoyed more versatility in terms of what kind of actions a character with a specific role could have *within* a battle (one class that I thought did this well was the protector with its multiple front/back guards and such).

Also, how's the general pacing re: character progression? Do you gain new skills at a decent rate? I guess this complaint re: EO ties in with my previous paragraph. Since it took a pretty significant investment to make each skill *useful*, it made it more difficult to just spread out and experiment. If I wanted a good sword skill, I had to have enough skillpoints in swords first, and then pumped into the actual skill. I could have 1 pt each in each sword skill, or I could actually pump it all into one skill and have it do good damage. The way the skill progression worked promoted specialization in that sense. Rather than deciding whether I wanted to use a sword skill that would go for extra damage, or have a chance of stunning, or attack multiple enemies in that particular scenario, it'd have to be something I'd have already decided when I was making the character build.

I guess all this ranting is that I found the character progression/skillset (which was good in and of itself) too restrictive. And while EO was great for a lot of people, it didn't click with me for that reason. How much does that apply for 7D?

I know part of why I felt the pacing/progression was too slow was due to how I started off making 2 chars of every class (and eventually cutting back to 1 of each), and then adding in the 2 new chars once I unlocked those. Those things pretty much killed the pacing and kept me underleveled throughout. Made for some really fun and challenging battles, especially the bosses. But it also made the majority of random encounters just feel tedious. Had I stuck with 5 chars only, might not have had the same issues. However, I would still have felt the chars were too restricted in their possible roles.

Yaweee

LOVE & TRUTH said:
Yaweee, have you heard about the Acquire's Wizardry Renaissance project? It's a PS3 game titled Wizardry: Torawareshi Tamashii no Meikyuu and it looks like the Class of Heroes in HD!

Ah, forgot about those two Wizardry games. The PS3 one looks like a Westernized reskin of Class of Heroes (in terms of layout), while the DS game seems pretty unique among the recent FPRPGs. I think they're both out in Japan by the end of the year, so a US release would be 2010 if at all.

orion434

Of this list, I'm really looking forward to Mass Effect 2, loved everything about the first and can't wait to get back to the action.

Will Buy:
Atelier Rorona (not listed, but I've always wanted to try the series, and a PS3 entry seems like a good place to start)
FFXIII
FFIV
Ninokuni
Valkyrie Chronicles 2
Ys 7 (fuck yes!!! I love me some Ys!)
Persona 3 Portable (never got the console version, but will get this)
White Knight Chronicles

Some Interest (will most likely buy):
7th Dragon
Dragon Quest IX
Resonance of Fate
Ar Tornelico 3 (I want it, but I'd want to play the first two before I got it, so I probably won't get it)
Sands of Destruction

Great thread. Really appreciate the effort that went in. I've been on a semi-hiatus from RPGs since this generation started (mostly because of the lack of console RPGs), although I got in as many as I could. I'm ready for a full on great year for RPGs.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Uneducated person question time:

Why can't we just get a new f'n Lunar? Why do we keep getting remakes?

duckroll

DarienA said:
Uneducated person question time:

Why can't we just get a new f'n Lunar? Why do we keep getting remakes?

612EDK9VKDL._SS500_.jpg

zoku88

duckroll said:
What difference would it make? Are you implying the game would NOT be a shitty piece of crap on a console? :lol
Of course. Don't you know that taking a DS RPG and putting it on a console automatically adds 5 points?*

*With significant ad deals.

But seriously, though, :lol at the notion that it would be better.

SlickVic

Mass Effect 2, FFXIII, Valkyria 2, and Pokemanz will all be mine.

Had no idea another Lunar game was coming out. I remember loving Lunar Legends because it was the only JRPG I didn't struggle mightily with trying to beat. :lol

Yaweee

zoku88 said:
I've actually never played this game, :lol . Which one is worse, magna carta 1 or Dragon Song?

Can we throw Lufia 4 into the contest, too? I suspect that might be a more fitting comparison.

Fredescu

bengraven said:
Okay, seriously, World of Warcraft: Cataclysm not on the list pisses me off.
No MMOs are listed at all, which I think is fair enough. There is a tonne more MMO stuff coming out than just a WoW expansion.

batbeg

zoku88 said:
I've actually never played this game, :lol . Which one is worse, magna carta 1 or Dragon Song?

I've not played Magna Carta but Dragon Song is hands down one of the worst games I've ever played, with absolutely no redeeming gameplay features. It was also my introduction to the Lunar series :lol Yikes.

Fredescu

Kagari said:
Final Fantasy XIV...
Didn't notice he'd added that. It wasn't there at the start. MMO related stuff coming in 2010:

Age of Conan: Rise of the Godslayer expansion
All Points Bulletin
Jade Dynasty
Lego Universe
Mytheon
Otherland
Star Trek Online
Star Wars: The Old Republic
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

There's no point being "pissed off" if only one of them is missing.

Fredescu said:
Didn't notice he'd added that. It wasn't there at the start. MMO related stuff coming in 2010:

Age of Conan: Rise of the Godslayer expansion
All Points Bulletin
Jade Dynasty
Lego Universe
Mytheon
Otherland
Star Trek Online
Star Wars: The Old Republic
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

There's no point being "pissed off" if only one of them is missing.
FFXIV has been in that post for a while. There's another pattern to the original posts that you guys aren't catching.

It's not "no MMOs", it's "no PC exclusives".

Fredescu

Segata Sanshiro said:
FFXIV has been in that post for a while.
Not from the start, at least long enough for this guy to post this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18180544&postcount=67

Segata Sanshiro said:
There's another pattern to the original posts that you guys aren't catching.

It's not "no MMOs", it's "no PC exclusives".
Not really, ethel already pointed this out. "I don't do that much PC gaming these days so I've no problems admitting that there are probably releases not on my radar." It doesn't bug me at all that they're not in the OP.

Top Bottom