• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 VMAS |OT|WWKD: What Will Kanye Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
FatalT said:
It's because you're a racist piece of shit.

noXcK.jpg

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
:lol It's been a while since I saw a good gaf sharp knees dumbfuckery gangbang. Go gaf go!

Baby Milo

PhoenixDark said:
Just because she has makeup plastered on like a trollop doesn't hide the fact that she's not attractive, and is very skinny.
so you would rather fuck that sf playing transgendered chick over Taylor

ok bro

Korey

Just finished airing on the west coast. Man taylor swift needs to stfu...if she did nothing she would've lived on as the "winner" of the incident, but now everyone just hates her for dragging this out another year holy shit. And MTV could not have milked it more jesus christ

I thought the log cabin was a pretty cool set though. And I wished Kanye performed All of the Lights.

Baby Milo said:
so you would rather fuck that sf playing transgendered chick over Taylor

ok bro
pretty much. she looks smokin hot on that picture. haters gonna hate, I just wish haters would choose better battles sometimes.

Equus Bellator Apex

Korey said:
Just finished airing on the west coast. Man taylor swift needs to stfu...if she did nothing she would've lived on as the "winner" of the incident, but now everyone just hates her for dragging this out another year holy shit. And MTV could not have milked it more jesus christ

I thought the log cabin was a pretty cool set though. And I wished Kanye performed All of the Lights.

He's gotta save something for TGS.

Believe.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I thought when Taylor Swift opened that performance with the flashback to last year, that it was a set up to a 'reconciliatory' duet between her and Kanye.

Instead it was just her playing poor-little-victim?

Come on. I hope that wasn't her own idea, maybe it was MTV. Milking this a year on is silly.

edit - I see the lyric at the end was supposed to be a sort of olive branch to Kanye, but really, it comes off as a bit patronising. She should have just left well enough alone.

Rindain

Banned
gofreak said:
I thought when Taylor Swift opened that performance with the flashback to last year, that it was a set up to a 'reconciliatory' duet between her and Kanye.

Instead it was just her playing poor-little-victim?

Come on. I hope that wasn't her own idea, maybe it was MTV. Milking this a year on is silly.

Opening with that clip wasn't very classy...in fact it was tasteless. She would have come across much better if they left it out.

Korey

The Chosen One said:
What happened exactly with opening and Swift's performance? Every link gets shutdown. Please don't make me watch MTV...
Taylor Swift's performance "Innocent": http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/559926/innocent-live.jhtml

Lyrics:

I guess you really did it this time
Left yourself in your warpath
Lost your balance on a tightrope
Lost your mind tryin’ to get it back

Wasn’t it easier in your lunchbox days?
Always a bigger bed to crawl into
Wasn’t it beautiful when you believed in everything?
And everybody believed in you?

It’s all right, just wait and see
Your string of lights is still bright to me
Oh, who you are is not where you’ve been
You’re still an innocent
You’re still an innocent

There’s some things you can’t speak of
But tonight you’ll live it all again
You wouldn’t be shattered on the floor now
If only you would sing what you know now then

Wasn’t it easier in your firefly-catchin’ days?
And everything out of reach, someone bigger brought down to you
Wasn’t it beautiful runnin’ wild ’til you fell asleep?
Before the monsters caught up to you?

Your string of lights is still bright to me
You’re still an innocent

It’s okay, life is a tough crowd
32, and still growin’ up now
Who you are is not what you did
You’re still an innocent

Time turns flames to embers
You’ll have new Septembers
Every one of us has messed up too

Lives change like the weather
I hope you remember
Today is never to late to
Be brand new

Your string of lights are still bright to me
You’re still an innocent

It’s okay, life is a tough crowd
32, and still growin’ up now
Who you are is not what you did
You’re still an innocent

Kanye's performance "Runaway": http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/571850/runaway-live.jhtml

Both performances are related to what happened last year, but Kanye came out the winner. Unsurprisingly, MTV probably orchestrated this entire charade. Well, prodded it along, at least.

Peru

Hypocrisy of the worst sort to claim Taylor dragged the incident out.. she never mentioned it after it happened until now and yet Kanye's been tweeting and talking about it non-stop. Anyway, the song wasn't "poor little me", it was "poor little you", a little patronising towards Kanye but only the same way people were patronising towards "innocent little taylor" last year when it was totally uncalled for. So she paid back, bitches.

Ashhong

Peru said:
Hypocrisy of the worst sort to claim Taylor dragged the incident out.. she never mentioned it after it happened until now and yet Kanye's been tweeting and talking about it non-stop. Anyway, the song wasn't "poor little me", it was "poor little you", a little patronising towards Kanye but only the same way people were patronising towards "innocent little taylor" last year when it was totally uncalled for. So she paid back, bitches.

What? The majority of the media was all for Taylor and nobody patronized her. Kanye starting fresh and apologizing to Taylor on twitter means she should come out with a song she wrote back in the beginning of the year and perform that? If she did this on her own accord, she did it for the attention and the praise shes going to get as the "brave white girl who spoke out against the mean black guy".

Ashhong said:
What? The majority of the media was all for Taylor and nobody patronized her. Kanye starting fresh and apologizing to Taylor on twitter means she should come out with a song she wrote back in the beginning of the year and perform that? If she did this on her own accord, she did it for the attention and the praise shes going to get as the "brave white girl who spoke out against the mean black guy".

Yep, I've always felt the whole thing was overblown and if you go back to last year's thread I was one of the few people who sad as much.

The VMA have traditionally always been somewhat raucous, especially when MTV started serving stars drinks and encouraging them to be intoxicated on TV. Kanye's stunt should have been just another minor stunt in the long line of minor stunts at the VMAs. But it was Swift's reaction that turned it from a minor stunt into a international incident. Instead of it being a stupid celebrity acting stupid at a stupid event, it became a "brave pure white girl" assaulted by a "crazy scary black guy!".

The EXACT same thing happened to Tom Felton (bad guy in Harry Potter movie) at this year's MTV movie awards. He was trying to accept his award and Marc Walberg and Will Farrel were shouting obscenities during his acceptance speech. Tom Felton was clearly annoyed with this, but he just soldiered on. No one really cared. Marc Walberg gave him a quiet apology afterwarde and that was that. Even though IMO, the heckling Tom Felton got was far worse.
http://hollywoodcrush.mtv.com/2010/06/07/mtv-movie-awards-2010-tom-felton-mark-wahlberg/

So please tell me why that was just a footnote story on page A-12 (it wasn't even reported on most media sites) and yet the whole Kanye Swift incident blew up to the point where it got a presidential response....Hmmmm

HiResDes

Peru said:
You're wrong. Taylor has always had the media on her side. I have worse shit happen to me on a fucking daily basis. The fact that she is capable of such melodrama a year later after the incident is quite annoying, near sickening.

seriously, can't smh enough sometimes on neogaf :lol
Taylor Swift isn't ugly by no means but lol at some people calling her ugly.

Also made me :lol at the first page when people were calling Beyonce "barf" and "eww" :/

HiResDes

friskykillface said:
seriously, can't smh enough sometimes on neogaf :lol
Taylor Swift isn't ugly by no means but lol at some people calling her ugly.

Also made me :lol at the first page when people were calling Beyonce "barf" and "eww" :/
Saying that you don't find someone attractive and calling them ugly, are not the same thing.

JCX

I agree with the Chosen One. There have been interruptions and outbursts for year in both the VMAs and MTV movie awards.

"Innocent"s lyrics are ridiculous.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
I agree, Taylor is not attractive. She looks 30 when she's like 20 years old. She is not aging well. She also doesn't have a cute face, she has an old-face. She canalways fall back on her country music roots, but I don't see her lasting long as a pop music star. In two years she will be a nobody. There are better looking chicks ready to take her place. Maybe she'll date Tony Romo to extend her 15 minutes of fame.

After watching Kanye performance-she lost, Kanye won. You really can't compare them. As much as people hate Kanye, he is good at what he does. He talented and will be around longer than Taylor.

bud

Vox-Pop said:
I agree, Taylor is not attractive. She looks 30 when she's like 20 years old. She is not aging well. She also doesn't have a cute face, she has an old-face. She canalways fall back on her country music roots, but I don't see her lasting long as a pop music star. In two years she will be a nobody. There are better looking chicks ready to take her place. Maybe she'll date Tony Romo to extend her 15 minutes of fame.

uhm, she look like a fifteen year old. seriously, what the fuck.

Was I the only one really impressed with Florence and the Machine's performance?

I think she has an amazing voice. I am now a fan.

Best performance of the VMAs in my opinion.

bud said:
uhm, she look like a fifteen year old. seriously, what the fuck.
yea, I don't get the Taylor = old, unattractive at all.

I just don't get it. She looks like she's 25, tops. beautiful and cute at the same time (not the same thing, really).

though she can still kiss my ass for that serious performance.

This was the first award show I've watched in like 8-9 years, but it was on at the family gathering so I saw a lot of it in passing. I'm not really into a lot of music, so most of the artist I had no idea about. I don't think I've ever heard a Taylor song before last night(I probably unknowingly have), but I thought it was beautiful. Didn't care for Kanye's piece at all, but I don't really care for him lyrically so...yeah.

HiResDes

Dreams-Visions said:
yea, I don't get the Taylor = old, unattractive at all.

I just don't get it. She looks like she's 25, tops. beautiful and cute at the same time (not the same thing, really).

though she can still kiss my ass for that serious performance.

Vox-Pop is the only one that thinks she looks old, but again he self-admittedly has weird tastes. I just don't find her attractive. Maybe it's her eyes; I really don't know what it is. Her face annoys almost, there's something smug about her that annoys me.

Edit: Yeah, I was expecting nothing less than spectacular from Florence + The Machine, and she did not disappoint.

see5harp

I'd eat mashed potatoes outta Taylor Swift's asshole. Not sure what any of ya'll are thinking. Both Kanye and Taylor benefited from the whole ordeal but All of the Lights is my most anticipated single of the year. Just listened to T.I. "The King" and could use some Just Blaze horns right about now.

see5harp said:
I'd eat mashed potatoes outta Taylor Swift's asshole. Not sure what any of ya'll are thinking. Both Kanye and Taylor benefited from the whole ordeal but All of the Lights is my most anticipated single of the year. Just listened to T.I. "The King" and could use some Just Blaze horns right about now.

WTF :lol

PD, I like you since you shit up Solo's thread with Bourne being superior, but I'm going to have to ask you to quietly leave this thread.

And Taylor Swift looked gorgeous last night.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Calantus said:
people actually give a shit? man.

Remember last year? 2009 thread was EPIC. Just goes to show you how important folks find irreverent topics these days.

Kanye still won

DMczaf

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/the_awful_truth/b200048_taylor_swift-kanye_west_duet_never_was.html

If you thought Taylor Swift's performance at last night's MTV Video Music Awards—in which she replayed Kanye West stage-jacking from last year then crooned about how he's still growing but remains innocent…uh, we think—was really friggin' awkward, you're not the only one.

MTV execs were not pleased with Ms. Swift's performance—or lack-there-of, as it might be. Not only did her appearance leave viewers scratching their heads, but Tay also backed out of a planned duet between the two superstars.

Before we get to the good dirt, trust us, folks in the Nokia Theatre, where the VMAs were held, were just as confused listening to T.Swift—wandering around her bizarre broken down home set sans shoes and singing a little diddy that everyone knew was addressed to the Kanye—as we're sure you viewers at home were.

"The house is dead! The house is dead!" An überpowerful source that helped plan the night cried as Tay slowly walked back across stage after her performance to silence from the stunned crowd.

And not stunned in a good way, that's for sure.

The whole performance was over-the-top melodramic—Taylor's signature style, natch—for an incident that, in retrospect, really wasn't a big deal. And from a gal who is supposedly totally over the whole ordeal, no less. Guess not, huh, Taylor?

'Cause if Tay put the incident in her past then she'd be up to show there are no hard feelings by taking the stage with Mr. West himself, which everyone at MTV and Team Kanye thought would happen.

Yep, despite what's been reported, a performance was planned for Taylor to take the stage and help Kanye close the show, finally putting to rest the ordeal that everyone else is so dunzo with it.

The only person left to sign up for the onstage show of forgiveness (and, let's be honest, a huge press moment for both of the two, no doubt) was Taylor. And she took her sweet time deciding…Like the entire friggin' show.

Tay refused to go on with Kanye, and she had people from MTV, Camp Kanye and her own folks working on overdrive throughout the duration of the show to see if she'd change her mind.

Guess she never did.

But Kanye's self-deprecating—and, we'll fess, damn catchy—final number gave him the lead in our book. We say: get over it already, Taylor!

tumblr_l8o2uzaBe31qa1zujo1_400.png

The fact that there has been given more than 10 minutes of attention to the whole Kanye-Taylor thing is just sad. Last year that shit lasted for weeks. I could've lived with a little tongue-in-cheek reference to the incident this year, like say, Kanye and Taylor presenting an award together. But I see that the whole attention whoring contest between the two is just continuing, ever so strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom