• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 World Cup Final |OT| Netherlands v Spain -- SPAIN WINS WORLD CUP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
iqubal said:
I'm glad they got a good ref for the finals. Spain has had really good luck with calls going their way. Red cars to Portugal(1) and Chile for pathetic dives(2) by the Spaniards. Then the disallowed onside goal by paraguay(3)....then the 2 clear fouls against Germany(4). Yet no one seems to mention that(5).......I'm rooting for Holland all the way.
(1) The apparent elbow to the head? Can you provide an angle that shows that Costa didn't make contact?
(2) Torres was tripped. Chilean got a second yellow. We've been over this. Torres milked it, though, which was embarrassing.
(3) That was NOT onside. Cardozo was offside and was involved in the play. No goal. Right call.
(4) Which ones? There was the Oezil call that most people said was made correctly. What else?
(5) Everything that you've said has been discussed in depth here, bud.

iqubal said:
Either way this tournament has been pretty lousy. I can't remember an exciting game
What team were you cheering for? Be honest now.

Socreges

Banned
L0st Id3ntity said:
It's not guilty until proven innocent. Just saying.
Innocent until proven guilty. For sure. But that misses a critical element in this case. The referee wasn't looking at replays or particular camera angles. He saw it live. He has said guilty. We're not in a position to say he was wrong.

Lightning

Banned
Wellscha said:
The Dutch could win that trophy....whatever it is.
Everytime I see your avatar it makes me love the Netherlands even more that we ended the dream of Uruguay.

Spain are next. Their dream shall end in tears. Netherlands FTW!

Fucking hell. Must Germany always be the runner ups? It's great to see them go so far and do so well in all the tournaments. But they're always defeated towards the end.

Better luck next time.

And I'm predicting a Spain win. Both teams deserve a win for once. But I'm going with Spain here.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Notorious_Roy said:
170850.jpg

Nice little preview photo!
worshippy.gif

That doesn't even look like the real World Cup.

woodchuck

I'm rooting for Holland, but I don't care if Spain wins. I enjoy watching both teams.

Just hoping for an exciting game for the neutrals.

I officially supported Spain (since we could only have one flag).

I picked two teams before the tournament started as teams I want to see win. They were:
Spain
Netherlands

Wooho. I don't really care who wins now.

I just wish I would have bought a bigger HDTV before the finals.

Im really excited for tomorrows game. Should be a good one, I expect a lot of goals. Both teams will be running out to prove themselves.

Im guessing it will be a much better game, as spain-netherlands will be all about the defense, and neither team will want to make a mistake.

Mush

Netherlands sounds pretty close to New Zealand, so I'll be rooting for them.

Still think Spain's gonna pull it off :/

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
Who did the octopus go for in tomorrows match?

This is the first World Cup where I honestly don't care who wins. I guess I'll go for Spain because I always liked Raul in their appearances in past tournaments.

esquire said:

This is the first World Cup where I honestly don't care who wins. I guess I'll go for Spain because I always liked Raul in their appearances in past tournaments.

The octopus dared to go against forlanaguay

Dresden

esquire said:

Paul picked Germany for tomorrow's match, I think. With Spain on Sunday.

Socreges

Banned
cartoon_soldier said:
I officially supported Spain (since we could only have one flag).

I picked two teams before the tournament started as teams I want to see win. They were:
Spain
Netherlands

Wooho. I don't really care who wins now.

I just wish I would have bought a bigger HDTV before the finals.
You're an embarrassment to the flag!

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
jamesinclair said:
The octopus dared to go against forlanaguay
That's funny because I can see either side winning. The stakes just don't seem as high because neither team has any pressure to perform.

Dresden said:

Wow & wow. I'm now watching just to see if the octopus is right again.

Lightning

Banned
Dresden said:
Germany kicking Uruguay's butts is a forgone conclusion.... The fact that Mullers back will only reinforce the ass-kicking.

I still don't buy into this whole "Octopus Oracle" shit though.

Go Netherlands GO!

Lightning said:
Germany kicking Uruguay's butts is a forgone conclusion.... The fact that Mullers back will only reinforce the ass-kicking.

Go Netherlands GO!

The world cup has been in progress for 3 weeks and people are still making ridiculous comments like this?

Socreges

Banned
Lightning said:
Uruguay will be more desperate to win. I'm thinking there's a very good chance they could win.

Lightning said:
What exactly are you suggesting here? What do you think that other people are "buying into"?

Lightning

Banned
Socreges said:
Uruguay will be more desperate to win. I'm thinking there's a very good chance they could win.

What exactly are you suggesting here? What do you think that other people are "buying into"?
Well, to those supporting/thinking Uruguay can win I bid you luck but ,imo, it will take a miracle for them to beat what is an excellent German side. That German side is just pure class.

As for the Octopus, I am not suggesting that anyone is buying into it. Just saying that I don't.

Socreges

Banned
ElectricBlue187 said:
nice. Looking over my bracket I made before the first kick off I predicted Spain and Germany perfectly as well as the Netherlands v. Brazil match up in the quarters (although I picked Brazil to win)

http://games.espn.go.com/bpredictor/en-us/entry?entryID=1195126&print=true
77 points. Not bad.

I've got 93: http://games.espn.go.com/bpredictor/en/entry?entryID=601856&print=true

;)

Currently in 2nd in a group of 34 people. If the Netherlands win, I'll either come in 2nd or 3rd. If Spain wins, I'll come in 1st place.

I've seen that some people in another massive groups have over 100 points. Normally because they chose Uruguay to go far. I wonder if anyone has gotten a perfect score.

Lightning said:
it will take a miracle for them to beat what is an excellent German side. That German side is just pure class.
Serbia and Spain beat them. And that was when Germany was fighting for the Cup, not some consolation game. Uruguay could definitely win, "pure class" or not.

Salsa

Lightning said:
Well, to those supporting/thinking Uruguay can win I bid you luck but ,imo, it will take a miracle for them to beat what is an excellent German side. That German side is just pure class.

This has been said everytime we have a match though, starting with France, then Mexico, then Holland. We lose to the Dutch 3-2, they played the better game, but it was pretty close if you ask me. We`ll see.

Not saying it isnt gonna be tough by any chance, of course its gonna be effing hard. I just wouldnt call us winning a "miracle". There are no miracles here.

Nyx

Even though I've always had sympathy for the Spanish team due to the way they like to play football, we Dutchies really, really, REALLY need this World Cup.

Come on Holland !

SamuraiX-

santi_yo said:

OMG! :lol

This is so perfect. :lol :lol

Nyx said:
Even though I've always had sympathy for the Spanish team due to the way they like to play football, we Dutchies really, really, REALLY need this World Cup.

Come on Holland !

Honestly, Holland deserves (yes, I said "deserves." Fuck off.) this World Cup more than Spain. Those two finals they lost in '74 and '78 were just heartbreaking. I mean, during this time they were revolutionizing how positions in professional soccer could be played. It's been over 30 years and here's another chance. Really hope they'll have what it takes to shut down Spain's midfielders.

SamuraiX- said:
Honestly, Holland deserves (yes, I said "deserves." Fuck off.) this World Cup more than Spain. Those two finals they lost in '74 and '78 were just heartbreaking. I mean, during this time they were revolutionizing how positions in professional soccer could be played. It's been over 30 years and here's another chance. Really hope they'll have what it takes to shut down Spain's midfielders.

And also, can Holland beat fate? (fate as in Paul the Octopus, of course)

Socreges

Banned
Roi said:
Just found this awesome Nike/Van der Vaart commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB8VVZpquhY&feature=player_embedded
Even before I knew what was going on (orange flag planted on plaza colon), that commercial was very, very annoying. It's difficult to explain why, though. Something about the music (hectic) and the way it was shot (grainy, then stilted). Kinda seems like some scrubs at Nike Holland threw it together in a few days. Anyone else feel the same or am I crazy?

Liked the premise, though. And that really was Madrid.

MedIC86

bytesized said:
Being a Spanish in Amsterdam this final is going to be ammmmaaaaaazing. I hope Spain wins so I drawn in a sea of delicious tears :)

GO SPAIN!

i dont think you wanne be there then, tears is not gonna be the only thing your going to drown in :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom