• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of Don't Use Imgur

Sethos

Banned
Ah, OK, so it still struggles even on top end hardware. What's up with this game? It looks great, but I don't think the visuals justify the performance.

Yeah, it definitely has massive performance issues. It looks good sure, but it doesn't really seem 30FPS on a current generation SLI setup-good. Probably just threw in as many advanced graphical technologies for its time and didn't optimize it very well, DX11 is also a massive killer.

Oh well, few more shots.

ibr9vIBpQDLnUG.png

iDZNxebqywlPm.png

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
iMkLPeM6eHG7N.jpg

You look like someone I knew in Shogo.

ibd2dXoL53eGY.jpg

Uh oh, someone has been naughty...

Dice

iwnhuTiT6luBc.jpg

Secret: You don't know shit about what's going on for 95% of the game.

ipCFEbfadasj8.jpg

It was quite a pain in the ass to get this shot. Oh, the things I do when I'm bored...

Durante

Diablo 3, with a mild DarkerD3 config. Note the HP in the second shot (complete coincidence, the guy I was playing with actually made me aware of it).

diablo-iii-2012-05-16nrxmq.jpg

diablo-iii-2012-05-22vcgbw.jpg

Yeah, it definitely has massive performance issues. It looks good sure, but it doesn't really seem 30FPS on a current generation SLI setup-good. Probably just threw in as many advanced graphical technologies for its time and didn't optimize it very well, DX11 is also a massive killer.

Oh well, few more shots.

Really? Cause I was playing Metro at 50-60 fps with a HD 6970. Of course I had the peformance killing options like advanced DoF and physX off, but other than that it was pretty much maxed out

Sethos

Banned
Really? Cause I was playing Metro at 50-60 fps with a HD 6970. Of course I had the peformance killing options like advanced DoF and physX off, but other than that it was pretty much maxed out

Well, there's your answer :p

Isn't PhysX / DX11 / The 4 presets the only thing you can tweak? Didn't see any DoF settings.

x3sphere

Oh well, few more shots.

ibr9vIBpQDLnUG.png

iDZNxebqywlPm.png

DoF is the only performance killer in Metro. Turn that off and it'll run great. I think the DoF looks terrible in that game anyway.

Crub

While on the topic:

Is there any way to let the GPU handle the downsampling? My monitor can't show any resolution above its native resolution.

I've got a 560ti.

Blizzard

Banned
I thought I read that Metro 2033 is one of the few games that has better DX11 performance than DX9. Is that not the case? =/ Or maybe if tessellation is off it would be?

Dice

ibfYQvCrFXRXkH.jpg

One of many helicopter rides in shooters.

ibyLUE2mc9E0o8.jpg

Monolith has so much style. Look at this room.

The game is so good, too. Just before this, a team was coming out of this room, so I tossed a grenade in here and while it was in the air I went into slomo and used shotgun on two dudes in front to stop them up so the grenade would hit the guy in here and stun the two. After I shot each of them once on the approach I tossed a grenade down the stairs off to the side where more were coming up and then shot the two guys again to finish them off and started shooting the guy to the left who had continued up the stairs despite the grenade. I came out of slomo as I was shooting him up and the grenade was going off (blowing up a guy in the corner of the stairwell) then as the guy fell out of my face I noticed another guy was turning the corner of the stairs behind where the other one blew up, so I did a sliding kick down the stairs to take him out.

This is John Woo action, motherfuckers.

NBtoaster

Maybe I'm doing it wrong and getting worse results, but I didn't need to mess with any of the timings at all. When I create a new resolution I just switch it from automatic to manual, leaving the rest the same as my native res, and then enter the new resolution, and bam it works. Only have a cheap 1600x900 monitor too *shrug*.

How is the performance hit from the shaders, and how is torch lighting with the shaders installed? It looks great, but I've heard something about torches not being very bright with that shader pack installed.

Well Im playing it on fullscreen at 1920x1080 with the unbelievable shaders mod plus DOF extra shader and all the settings in the game menu on max and I get about 35-45fps.

But I also use this SLI fix thing for java so it uses both GPU's properly which helped alot and also that OptiFine multicore thing to let you use 2 cpu cores.

Torch lighting looks fine ingame.

My specs are:
2600k @ 4.5ghz
16gbram
GTX590

I thought I read that Metro 2033 is one of the few games that has better DX11 performance than DX9. Is that not the case? =/ Or maybe if tessellation is off it would be?
Not exactly. Game performs better in DX9 since is less demanding. However, between DX10 and DX11 the game does best in the latter, since some of the effects are more eficient on the DX11 API.

Game runs fine if you disable PHYSX and the Dinamic DOF. Probably the last impressive looking PC game, i don't see much difference between BF3 and BC2 and BC2 runs better so i find it really impressive.

scitek

Not exactly. Game performs better in DX9 since is less demanding. However, between DX10 and DX11 the game does best in the latter, since some of the effects are more eficient on the DX11 API.

Game runs fine if you disable PHYSX and the Dinamic DOF. Probably the last impressive looking PC game, i don't see much difference between BF3 and BC2 and BC2 runs better so i find it really impressive.

Are you serious?

Borderlands

borderlands.exe_2012-aexkx.png

borderlands.exe_2012-hly22.png

I forgot to check to see before buying it, but this game runs like shit on AMD cards.

Dice

How is the emulation for that?
I remember needing to mess around with the window and resolution multiplication awhile before shadows came out properly. Now the only problem is that it occasionally slows down because of the sound, but it's not bad. In Digital Devil Saga it's almost constant in the first area so I haven't bothered playing through on emulator to find out if it gets better (Edit: Just tried more past that area, it runs great) Nocturne runs great.

Only real issue is that it may run 60fps in hardware but the gameplay is locked at 30fps. Also remember these games use this old PS2 motion blur effect for some reason (a cover for framerate issues? It's also in GTA3)...

ibtEjKJLz8vfWa.png

But they have style out the ass so it's completely worth it. SMT best RPGs evarrrrrr!

decyx

Maybe I'm doing it wrong and getting worse results, but I didn't need to mess with any of the timings at all. When I create a new resolution I just switch it from automatic to manual, leaving the rest the same as my native res, and then enter the new resolution, and bam it works. Only have a cheap 1600x900 monitor too *shrug*.

Nah, you're not doing it wrong. That's actually the method I use in my guide (the second link in my previous post) and I'm not using a cheap display (46" Panasonic Plasma). By contrast, the pixel clock method, which is more commonly used to achieve downsampling, doesn't work for me at all. I think either approach will have the same result, just not the same chance of success.

Some Dota 2 shots. This game can have so many great partical effects flying around at once. Together with some of the best sound design I've ever heard in a game, it can be quite an experience.

14hka8.jpg

25ai81.jpg

I know it's sacrilege to say it, but I wouldn't mind seeing how Dota 2 would play as a 3rd person game. When you scoot the camera right down as close as it will go it is beautiful.

40xisr.jpg

33ni7f.jpg

Top Bottom