• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of Don't Use Imgur

bf3_2012_12_09_03_26_27_899.png

bf3_2012_12_09_03_18_53_759.png

nOoblet16

playing crysis 1 makes you wonder why games have not made any (graphical) progress in the last 5 years.
The textures etc. are not even what makes the game so stuning in motion its how everything reacts to its surroundings, branches swaying because of explosions and bullets, trees colapsing in heavy fire, leaves that get pushed out of the way by cars, npc´s and the player instead of clipping through.
To be perfectly honest, FC2 did that thing a lot better (foliage interaction I mean), even the big trees will sway and some branches will break off when there's a large explosion, you can also individually shoot branches from trees off (the only trees that break in Crysis are the coconut trees and some shrubs) and even the tiniest of the foliage reacts to player, vehicle, NPCs or the guns/flamethrower and never clips (in Crysis the shrubs/bushes clip through vehicles). AND the foliage grows back in real time.

Such a pity that they took a massive massive step back in this area with FC3.

To be perfectly honest, FC2 did that thing a lot better (foliage interaction I mean), even the big trees will sway and some branches will break off when there's a large explosion, you can also individually shoot branches from trees off (the only trees that break in Crysis are the coconut trees and some shrubs) and even the tiniest of the foliage reacts to player, vehicle, NPCs or the guns/flamethrower and never clips (in Crysis the shrubs/bushes clip through vehicles). AND the foliage grows back in real time.

Such a pity that they took a massive massive step back in this area with FC3.
I would say some aspects of the foliage simulation are better in Crysis, for example how the foliage reacts to contact. The trunks of cocnut plants can be broken proceduraly which is really cool. Far Cry 2 has some destructable vegetation Crysis lacks and also has the super sweet fire spreading simulation.

I was comenting the bold part in the official thread but it seems not many noticed or cared about it. I wonder if Far Cry 3 can be heavilyt modified_

i-Lo

Those skyrim shots with the clean lines, DoF, chromatic abberation filters, better shadows etc, make it look, essentially, next-gen.

If vanilla Fallout 4 on next gen systems has fidelity close to that I'd consider it an win-win situation for gamers and devs alike.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Those skyrim shots with the clean lines, DoF, chromatic abberation filters, better shadows etc, make it look, essentially, next-gen.

If vanilla Fallout 4 on next gen systems has fidelity close to that I'd consider it an win-win situation for gamers and devs alike.

If next gen is all about chromatic aberration, I think I'll pass.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I must be blind, I can't spot the chromatic aberration in any of those latest 4 shots of skyrim.

edit : maaaaybe in the 2nd shot, in the outline of the mountains?

I must be blind, I can't spot the chromatic aberration in any of those latest 4 shots of skyrim.

It's on the character quite strongly and the plants/rocks. It's minor aberration, but it's that sort of blurry look so many ENB Skyrim shots have.

Good example is the 4th pic, rocks in the background on the left.

Chromatic abberation is one of those things, like bloom, DoF, color grading, and motion blur, that often comes down to taste. Responsible devs should provide options to disable post-processing effects individually.

ArenaNet, sadly, is not one of those devs. :(

Guild Wars 2
Screenshot42447.png

Screenshot50097.png

Jedi2016

Chromatic Aberration is one of those lens effects that tends to happen on just about anything shot with a camera. It's a very subtle effect to begin with, you should never actually see it, but it's one of those things that can add a touch of realism that you can't even put your finger on why it looks better.

I have no problem with them doing it, as long as it's done correctly. Which, sadly, most of them don't do.. they want their fancy shaders and effects to be all up in your face. Which is wrong.

i-Lo

If next gen is all about chromatic aberration, I think I'll pass.

Even flaws of real world replicated in right amounts can contribute to realism. I never said it's only going to be about that.

The lighting and other IQ improvement factors make those shots more pleasing than the vanilla edition.

And Skyrim doesn't really come anywhere close to portraying chromatic aberration to levels that Crysis does. It revels in it.

Wanny

Honestly I see it too in almost every ENB shots, which makes them look fake. I prefer approches that simulate human eyes and not camera lens.

I mean, ENB looks good for screenshots but man, everytime I try to play with one, it's quite hard on eyes actually and I get sick instantly.

Top Bottom