• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of Don't Use Imgur

scitek

screenshot9966gquma.jpg

screenshot410895euhg.jpg

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Fellow high-res gaf, help me with my predicament :

My max current downsampling resolution that works is 3680 x 2070 @59 Hz ( regular downsampling, not SSAA or its ilk via nvidia inspector ). Here is an example of Painkiller running at that resolution. As you can see, it works great and that refresh rate is much more preferable than say something like 30 Hz just to be able to squeeze out 3840x2160.

Anywhooo let's get to the issue, why on earth does ~70% or so of the games I've tried crash and die when I pick that resolution ingame? I get different error messages depending on the game, some just crash, others I get black or white screen, sometimes I get "failed to initiate d3d device".

100% of the 3d games I've tried are fully compatible with 3200x1800, but a much smaller fraction supports 3680x2070.

Is it because it's a non-standard resolution? If so why does 3200x1800 work flawlessly?
Is it because it's 59 Hz? If so why do all those games still work at 1920x1080@59Hz?

I'm at my wits end... hepl Gaf.

iNvid02

can you still get ~60fps at those resolutions though? would have thought sticking to 30hz and going with the more accepted res would be the best thing to do.

Corky

can you still get ~60fps at those resolutions though? would have thought sticking to 30hz and going with the more accepted res would be the best thing to do.

New AAA games? Nah. But anything semi-old and back it's all smooth sailing. Problem with 30hz is that it's extremely driver dependent and only works once in a full moon. Besides, 30hz in games rarely show up unless I use that for my desktop res. Still, 3860x2070 is just as much a non accepted res as 3200x1800 but the latter one works all the time.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Those BioShock shots are magnificent. Still one of the all-around prettiest games this gen.

Please post some from Fort Frolic!

Calmine

Even though Crysis 2 has all the fancy tessellation and DX11 and what not. I still think the first Crysis holds up as being the better game even by todays standards.

Even though Crysis 2 has all the fancy tessellation and DX11 and what not. I still think the first Crysis holds up as being the better game even by todays standards.

I don't recall vanilla Crysis 1 looking like the shots posted here. If those are vanilla shots posted above... then HOLY SHIIII... I need to get Crysis ASAP!

DSmalls84

I don't recall vanilla Crysis 1 looking like the shots posted here. If those are vanilla shots posted above... then HOLY SHIIII... I need to get Crysis ASAP!

I'm pretty sure those are modded. I booted up Crysis this week and at Very High 1080p it didn't look anything like some of these shots lol.

Corky

Those BioShock shots are magnificent. Still one of the all-around prettiest games this gen.

Please post some from Fort Frolic!

It really holds up visually, the stylized artstyle is to thank... problem being those pesky low-res textures,they break my heart.

More Bioshock

bioshock2012-12-1121-vzuhu.png

bioshock2012-12-1121-i0u4v.png

Corky

Nice screens Alo.

Deus Ex Missing link, another game that for some inexplicable reason supports my pseudo-4k resolution. Edit : wtf happened to the 2nd picture? Looks compressed to hell and back...

dxhrml2012-12-1123-38o8e2q.png

dxhrml2012-12-1123-40nqfye.png

MrBig

Nice screens Alo.

Deus Ex Missing link, another game that for some inexplicable reason supports my pseudo-4k resolution. Edit : wtf happened to the 2nd picture? Looks compressed to hell and back...

I'd like to see other games adopt Planetside 2's renderquality option, which allows people to set the game's rendering resolution independent of the UI. It allows people to lower the res without getting a lolhuge UI in the way if they're being GPU limited, but also allows people to supersample without making the UI unreadably small

Corky

Beautiful. Now just turn off that object highlighting.

Yeah went to video settings and didn't see it, thought " I could've sworn I could turn off some of these hud elements". Delved deeper and found the settings.

mileS

is there some mod to remove the yellowish fog or tint to everything in Deus Ex? I've seen some screens posted here a few times without it. Game looks sooooo much better without it. Anyways I could be just remembering it wrong, but if anyone knows let ME know.

Edit : wtf happened to the 2nd picture? Looks compressed to hell and back...
dxhrml2012-12-1123-40nqfye.png
I can answer that one.

What you're seeing is color banding. It occurs when a gradient doesn't have enough colors available to create a smooth gradation. This can be mitigated with dithering, but the only way to truly solve the problem is to get more colors, which is something that isn't happening any time soon. :p

But anyways. Don't worry. It's just something that happens from time to time. Not a compression issue.

Shaneus

ATTN: ATI users. RadeonPro has finally been released with the option to enable SSAO on around 40 or so titles, some of which can be seen here. I guess he's hesitant to allow blanket enabling for all titles until some of the serious bugs are ironed out, I'm not sure.

Download the latest beta here.

And to make this post worthwhile (originally hosted on imgur, sorry... just ripped straight from that link):
cG7wN.jpg

zPPcv.jpg

Loginius

has anyone had success downsampling on windows 8 with amd?

Yes, use custom display drivers and change your resolution in windows to match the one you want to use ingame before starting the game.
(worked for every game I own except Crysis Warhead which gives me messed up gamma for some reason, works in Crysis and Crysis 2 without a Problem)

Corky

Bioshock - turned down the SGSSAA a couple of notches from 8x to 2x so I can have 60 fappas all the time

bioshock2012-12-1213-iduxz.png

bioshock2012-12-1213-6uuqv.png

Top Bottom