• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Preseason |OT| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Rasheed Wallace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those Harden PnR stats are misleading, how often were him and Nick Collison operating against second unit defenders. lets see those PnR stats when he's up against good team defense and guys like Tony Allen and Iggy get thrown at him. his Finals performance wasnt just a function of nerves, the Heat made a point of shutting his ass down.

He was missing wide open jumpers and layups.

It was just random bad shooting luck after absurd shooting luck against the Spurs.

KingKong

It's funny how many people are trying to spin this as a win for OKC as though trading away an elite all-star for a limited one dimensional player, a rookie and picks improves them in any way

Smokey

Harden was just on sports radio. Some things:

-Heard news while he was at dinner. Presti called him and dropped the bomb. Was in disbelief at first

-Said Thunder did give him a timeline to make a decision, but he needed more time than what they were giving him (1hr?) as this was the biggest decision of his life. They obviously pulled the trigger while he was still deciding.

-More than reay to start. Said he's done it his entire life. 6th man role was an adjustment to him and he will adjust back to being a starter.

-Olympics gave him confidence

-Excited to be playing in the system as they are planning to play a very fast, up tempo offense.

-Says he's confident in his leadership abilities. Mentioned he was one of the main vocal leaders on the Thunder. Will obviously take a second to get adjusted to new teammates.

Sounded pretty confident and excited though about his role now as a starter. Guess that's what he's supposed to say tho.

They will have enough space this off season to sign another max player this off season too...or over pay as Morey likes to do.

I think we have to see how Harden does as the man before we make conclusions to who he is...

Kinda like seeing what Bynum does without Kobe...

Except without the shitty knees.

:(

Hard to believe that a few months ago, LA was thinking about their next move, Allen was still in Boston, and everyone wondered who was going to beat the Heat or Thunder.

LA won this offseason by a mile. Heat were a close second. Collision course.

And CP3 might, depending on how the Clips do.

Flash

It was just random bad shooting luck after absurd shooting luck against the Spurs.

He definitely seemed rattled in the finals. He missed a lot of open jumpers and even some lay ups so he never really got going / didn't have confidence in his game.

I

Man some smart tanking team is going to get Bazz and Wiggins one after the other.

It's probably between the Cats and Magic.

Hell of a way to rebuild.

KingGondo

Banned
I don't get this. He barely takes any midrange shots, how does that equal has no mid-range game? Thats pure false equivalency.
He never attempted it because he's more effective at range or driving to the basket. I always cringed when he went iso and took a fadeaway jumper inside the three point line.

It'll be interesting to see how he integrates with Lin. I just don't see him being as efficient in his new role, although he has the ability to improve over time.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's a perennial all-star after Kobe retires, though. The SG position is so weak right now.

yeah he was shook, because the other team took him out of the game. when elite players perform at a substandard level for a game or two, you can say its luck, when they do it for an entire series, in NBA Finals no less, it aint random bad luck.

shira

Man some smart tanking team is going to get Bazz and Wiggins one after the other.

It's probably between the Cats and Magic.

Hell of a way to rebuild.
C'mon the raps need their hometown boy to have that Lebron storyline. Cola will trade the entire roster and the next decade of staggered frdp to move up one spot

yeah he was shook, because the other team took him out of the game. when elite players perform at a substandard level for a game or two, you can say its luck, when they do it for an entire series, in NBA Finals no less, it aint random bad luck.

It was his first finals appearance, in his third year playing. What are you even going on about?

KingGondo said:
He never attempted it because he's more effective at range or driving to the basket. I always cringed when he went iso and took a fadeaway jumper inside the three point line.

It'll be interesting to see how he integrates with Lin. I just don't see him being as efficient in his new role, although he has the ability to improve over time.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's a perennial all-star after Kobe retires, though. The SG position is so weak right now.

Well yeah, he has good shot selection.

He can also create shots, yes even in the midrange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYEcMCVG6DA

I really don't think he's getting a fair shake honestly.

KingGondo

Banned
We'll see how he does when the entire opposing team's defense is organized to stop him.

I'm not doubting James, I'm honestly curious to see how he'll do as the #1 option.

If I'm a Rox fan, I'm more worried about his mindset going into the season. I think he's still a bit shellshocked.

h3ro

If I'm a Rox fan, I'm more worried about his mindset going into the season. I think he's still a bit shellshocked.

Lin will calm him down.

I think getting Harden helps Lin tremendously. Harden is great at handling the ball and I think we'll see a more efficient Lin if him and Harden alternate playing off the other.

It was his first finals appearance, in his third year playing. What are you even going on about?

Well yeah, he has good shot selection.

He can also create shots, yes even in the midrange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYEcMCVG6DA

I really don't think he's getting a fair shake honestly.

He is--most of the concerns are if he can be as effective without 2 All-Stars getting most of the attention. It's a fair point.

I think he'll do fine--20+ ppg and be a slightly less efficient shooter (just because he'll see more attention), but he can ball. Yes, he doesn't have Manu's handle or Kobe/Wade ceiling, but he's still really good, and has a high IQ.
I have faith he'll be great regardless.

I think getting Harden helps Lin tremendously. Harden is great at handling the ball and I think we'll see a more efficient Lin if him and Harden alternate playing off the other.

We'll see how it works out, last I read, Lin was being asked to work harder; Harden should definitely help with that.

Smokey

We'll see how he does when the entire opposing team's defense is organized to stop him.

I'm not doubting James, I'm honestly curious to see how he'll do as the #1 option.

He will be fine.

Everybody is over analyzing this. Harden is better than our previous option in every way imaginable. There will be a natural adjustment for him playing starters minutes and being in a new system, but I'm not worried about him.

He will probably get some more help in the off season when the Rockets add another piece (lol) .

Going to the home opener on Saturday against the blazers. Looking forward to seeing him and dat new screen

Lin has been booty butt cheeks during the preseason...so unless Kevin Martin was that big of a cancer...I doubt he'd be calming anyone down or making it easier for them.

Yeah with the offensive weapons that the Rockets have right now teams are going to be hard doubling, trapping, virtually everything against Lin/Harden because nobody else is really worth shit.

I'd expect Hardens percentage to drop pretty sharply but he's going to get to the line like crazy.

shira

He is--most of the concerns are if he can be as effective without 2 All-Stars getting most of the attention. It's a fair point.

I think he'll do fine--20+ ppg and be a slightly less efficient shooter (just because he'll see more attention), but he can ball. Yes, he doesn't have Manu's handle or Kobe/Wade ceiling, but he's still really good, and has a high IQ.
Really he's going to be top 10 in scoring?
I don't see Harden as a top 10 in the league player

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I expect a good season out of Patterson too. He should put up solid numbers now that Scola is gone.

Top 10 scoring isn't a stretch at all... This is a list that Joe Johnson was on and Harden has been better than Joe for the past two seasons.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

He averaged 19.3PPG per 36 last year. He'll surely get close to 40MPG and he'll be a #1 option. Kevin Martin averaged 23.5PPG in 2010-11 in 80 games played.

DY_nasty

Top 10 in the league is just... you can't even get a consistent, unordered top 3 out of people.

KingGondo

Banned
There are only a few guys who are indisputably "Top 10 Players."

LeBron
Durant
Dwight
Love
CP3
Rose (if healthy)

I'd say even usual suspects like YNB, Dirk, Wade, and Kobe are borderline top 10 for various reasons.

DY_nasty

Watch the Bobcats end up with Kevin Martin for a year.

I can feel it coming - I just want some of those picks.

edit: I honestly don't feel Love is better than LMA.

KingGondo

Banned
Watch the Bobcats end up with Kevin Martin for a year.

I can feel it coming - I just want some of those picks.
Who do we want on your roster? Gordon would be a nice fill-in for Harden, but I'm not sure we could re-sign him inexpensively.

And we're not taking Byron Mullens.

DY_nasty

Who do we want on your roster? Gordon is too expensive, and I'm not sure we could re-sign him inexpensively.

And we're not taking Byron Mullens.

Gordon is an expiring next season. That's his primary value. And he is more than capable of being a 6th man scorer behind a real offense.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if we brought Martin back home for a 1st and Reggie.

KingGondo

Banned
Gordon is an expiring next season. That's his primary value. And he is more than capable of being a 6th man scorer behind a real offense.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if we brought Martin back home for a 1st and Reggie.
It's more likely we would trade Maynor, considering his injury. Thunder FO seems super-high in Jackson.

Hmm... I actually like the idea of getting Gordon. He would be dangerous as hell in a Harden-esque role, and maybe he could be convinced to stay for less than his current deal.

Plus we have Dat Cho Connection.

DY_nasty

It's more likely we would trade Maynor, considering his injury. Thunder FO seems super-high in Jackson.

Hmm... I actually like the idea of getting Gordon. He would be dangerous as hell in a Harden-esque role, and maybe he could be convinced to stay for less than his current deal.

Plus we have Dat Cho Connection.
The Thunder FO is super-high on dodging the luxury tax now too.

Honestly, a trade better happen sooner rather than later because once Ibaka starts making it obvious that he was never worth that contract, Cho is going to try and unload Tyrus' frontloaded contract to get the Congo Combo started too.

reilo

tumblr_mcip9hzPAz1r10tndo1_1280.jpg

Reggie Miller trolling Jordan from the past.

KingGondo

Banned
The Thunder FO is super-high on dodging the luxury tax now too.

Honestly, a trade better happen sooner rather than later because once Ibaka starts making it obvious that he was never worth that contract, Cho is going to try and unload Tyrus' frontloaded contract to get the Congo Combo started too.
Congo Combo... :lol

They should remake Coming to America with Bismack and Serge if that happens.

And for the record, I wouldn't be surprised if a subsequent deal gets done within a couple of weeks. We're not holding onto all of those picks.

reilo

You know, if the Thunder FO wanted to avoid the luxury tax or shitty contracts, then they shouldn't have paid Perkins all that fucking money, or at worst, amnestied his ass.

Not to mention Ibaka.

We'll see how it works out, last I read, Lin was being asked to work harder; Harden should definitely help with that.

Eh, I can't think anything Ginobli does with the ball thats really better than harden. Difference is negligible at best. What Ginobli has the edge in is footwork. And even thats not the greatest gap.

And yeah no he's not athletic enough to have a Kobe/Wade ceiling.

Canuck76

Banned
C'mon the raps need their hometown boy to have that Lebron storyline. Cola will trade the entire roster and the next decade of staggered frdp to move up one spot

Honestly yes. As a Canadian trade every frigging player on that roster necessary to get wiggins. It'd be a huge win for Canadian basketball

KingGondo

Banned
You know, if the Thunder FO wanted to avoid the luxury tax or shitty contracts, then they shouldn't have paid Perkins all that fucking money, or at worst, amnestied his ass.

Not to mention Ibaka.
Perkins is certainly overpaid in a vacuum, but I actually think he's worth his contract to this team. He provides stability and consistency on the inside, along with occasional production (which is a pure bonus since we don't *need* him to score much). He's much more valuable on OKC's roster than he would be on almost any other.

Harden's scoring production can be replaced, although his playmaking will be missed and Martin is an undeniable step down.

However: Ibaka is fully worth his deal. A super-athletic big with his offensive ability and potential at age 22 is incredibly rare. He has improved every year in the league, and there's no reason to think he's done. He'll still be impoving at the end of his contract in 5 years.

reilo

No, motherfucker. You don't get to spin the Perkins contract as having "worth to this team". Stop it.

And Ibaka sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom