• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Major League Soccer |OT| Pick your side, it's time for War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartastic

Not feeling great about this season.
I'm feeling good. Last year was far above and beyond my expectations, and I'm hoping for an even better year now that the team is more comfortable with Porter's style of play. The new additions should be helpful as well.

Osorio

I'm feeling good. Last year was far above and beyond my expectations, and I'm hoping for an even better year now that the team is more comfortable with Porter's style of play. The new additions should be helpful as well.

Do you have a list of departures and acquisitions for Portland? I just felt that every other day someone was coming or leaving the squad.

Dartastic

Do you have a list of departures and acquisitions for Portland? I just felt that every other day someone was coming or leaving the squad.
I'm not sure if this is comprehensive, but these are the big ones that I remember.

Acquisitions -
Steve Zakuani (Seattle)
Norberto Paparatto (Argentina)
Gaston "La Gata" Fernandez (Argentina)
Schillo Tschuma (Generation Adidas, MLS Superdraft)

...there are also the other draft picks, but I'm going to leave them out.

On Loan -
Jose Valencia

Departures -
Milos Kocic (Retiring early, opening up goalkeepers academy)
Mikael Silvestre (Not confirmed yet, but likely.)

I think Ryan Johnson is also on loan? But I can't remember.

As far as additions, 3 of those add depth and control to our attacking side, where Paparatto is a big man in the back who can help us win in the air, which was a problem for us last year.

Akim

Banned
Hey MLS bros/brosettes, if you're interested I can upload the working files (Illustrator) for the image below. I was going to make/contribute to the next OT, but this is taking more time than I actually first thought it would. Feel free to use this if you want :)

9nwHYUA.jpg

looks good but the white is a little hard to read in some places

xbhaskarx

I think Ryan Johnson is also on loan? But I can't remember.

It sounded to me like he's out of contract and is trying to move to Europe...

In any case Portland seems to have improved more than any of the other top teams from last season, personally I'd have them as frontrunners at the moment.

Philly's loan for Maurice Edu went through.

They got him through the allocation order, apparently.

MLS said:
The Philadelphia Union finally have their man – at least for one year, and possibly more.

After weeks of reports, acknowledged interest from the MLS side and continued public flirtation, the Union announced on Monday that they have acquired midfielder Maurice Edu on a one-year loan from Stoke City of the English Premier League. The deal includes an option to buy for the Union.

The US national teamer returns to MLS via the allocation order – Philadelphia traded up to the top spot in a deal with D.C. United shortly before the 2014 MLS SuperDraft. Edu joins the Union as a Designated Player.

MLS previously stated that Designated Players are exempt from the allocation process, however, a league spokesman provided the following statement:

“As with most aspects of the business, the league, in consultation with the clubs, reviews the roster rules on an annual basis and reserves the right to modify them prior to each season. The amendment to the assignment mechanism for Designated Players will be reflected in the 2014 roster rules that will be released prior to the start of the season.”

Dartastic

It sounded to me like he's out of contract and is trying to move to Europe...

In any case Portland seems to have improved more than any of the other top teams from last season, personally I'd have them as frontrunners at the moment.
Yeah, I know he wanted to go to Europe but I'm not really sure what his status is. Ah well. Regardless, I'm very happy with the status of our team and I'm extremely excited for the season. Super hype for the game against SKC. It's kinda awesome that the first game back in preseason is what the MLS Cup could have been. Whee!

Also, when is that 2014 MLS/all encompassing soccer thread happening? SO HYPE

blurrygil

Hey MLS bros/brosettes, if you're interested I can upload the working files (Illustrator) for the image below. I was going to make/contribute to the next OT, but this is taking more time than I actually first thought it would. Feel free to use this if you want :)

9nwHYUA.jpg

I like it. Nice and clean. Would recommend a couple of changes, however:

• "Sporting Kansas KC" should read "Sporting Kansas SC".
  • Club names are technically incomplete. Club "titles" are missing, provided you care. :) (ie. Seattle Sounders FC, Vancouver Whitecaps FC, C.D. Chivas USA).

Otherwise, good stuff. I wish there was more league and stats information in the graphic. But the cleanliness of it all is fantastic.

And I'm in the bottom shot.* UP THE SOUNDERS!!!!!

*Can't really SEE me, but I know that picture...

blurrygil

I like it, but I think the font is hard to read. Bigger letters/or maybe a black text border or something.

I think SKC is just Sporting Kansas City, no SC or FC

I was 99% certain their full title is Sporting Kansas City Soccer Club.

But I digress, I cannot seem to find proof of this. Carry on, all.

Askani

Seriously though, what's up with the new thread? Timbers v. SKC is Saturday. It's time for the 2014 thread, for sure.

We floated the idea of combining the threads but nobody said anything concrete about when or if it was actually happening. So I would say it's business as usual until someone takes the initiative to post or at least say they are starting construction of the all inclusive thread.

For our thread, that's a fair bit of work though to then throw it away in a month and when someone makes a new all inclusive thread.

Akim, check your PMs

MLS-GAF

I talked to a couple different posters this morning about combining the MLS & US Soccer threads into one all-encompassing American Soccer OT. Given the amount of overlap and shared goals between MLS & the USMNT, I think this is a good idea and I'm happy to help you move forward with it.

With that in mind, someone needs to put together the OP. I don't know if Akim is still interested doing this given the increased scope, but let's make sure we know who wants to put it together and that they have the resources that they need. It doesn't have to be anything extravagant, but some basic information on MLS, US Soccer, and any other relevant leagues would be good.

If you have any questions, send me a PM. Thanks.

xbhaskarx

I just had a PM exchange with Cornballer...

Since we need a new MLS thread now, let's put one up ASAP. Whoever wants to do it and has the content ready, go for it.

As far as the all-encompassing American soccer OT is concerned, that will give us a few months to gather content for it, and when it goes up people can migrate over from both the new 2014 MLS thread and the current US soccer thread.

Dartastic

Before we junk this thread, can someone post who the top posters were in this thread? I'm curious, but I don't know how to do that.

Askani

Before we junk this thread, can someone post who the top posters were in this thread? I'm curious, but I don't know how to do that.

Click on the replies number of a thread.

Code:
Askani	               413
Osorio	               328
Dartastic	       256
Nesotenso	       209
sazabirules	       180
Judderman	       132
xbhaskarx	       131
ActStriker	        93
Rafa=FedKilla	        92
The Culture Vulture	66
platypotamus	        63
Amibguous Cad	        61
Hieberrr	        61
Meier	                53
Frank the Great	        29
added_time	        29
GRW810	                25
Azuran	                24
Akim	                22
UncleO	                19

Since we need a new MLS thread now, let's put one up ASAP. Whoever wants to do it and has the content ready, go for it.

As far as the all-encompassing American soccer OT is concerned, that will give us a few months to gather content for it, and when it goes up people can migrate over from both the new 2014 MLS thread and the current US soccer thread.
I'd rather just get this done right now in one fell swoop instead of having an MLS thread for a few months and then switching over. I don't think it should take a few months to crank out a new OT, and I don't think it's critical to have a new MLS thread right this instant since the season hasn't even started yet.

Let's continue to use this thread for MLS preseason talk until the new OP is ready, and then we can switch everything over.

Dartastic

Click on the views number of a thread.

Code:
Dartastic	       256
Nesotenso	       209
sazabirules	       180
Judderman	       132
xbhaskarx	       131
ActStriker	        93
Rafa=FedKilla	        92
The Culture Vulture	66
platypotamus	        63
Amibguous Cad	        61
Hieberrr	        61
Meier	                53
added_time	        29
Akim	                22
Hah. I'm 3rd, just like our race for the Supporters Shield. -.-

xbhaskarx

That has become the image from MLS 13, which is ironic considering Portland completely turned it around from being an incompetent organization that played crappy soccer to one of the best teams in the league, plus they destroyed their Seattle rivals, who went from Supporters Shield favorites to Chivas USA level overnight, in their playoff meeting.

That has become the image from MLS 13, which is ironic considering Portland completely turned it around from being an incompetent organization that played crappy soccer to one of the best teams in the league, plus they destroyed their Seattle rivals, who went from Supporters Shield favorites to Chivas USA level overnight, in their playoff meeting.

platypotamus doesn't like this

xbhaskarx

Was the Lieweke article ever posted here?

TFC: How Drake, LeBron James helped recruit Jermain Defoe for Toronto

In MLSE CEO Tim Leiweke’s first job interview, he asked the heads of Bell and Rogers if they’d be willing to stake him on a big soccer purchase.

“A Beckham deal,” he told them.

When they said, “Yes,” Leiweke agreed to take the job.

He’d be shepherding the Leafs and the Raptors, but Leiweke’s short-term fixation was pulling Toronto FC out of the shallow grave previous management regimes had buried it in.

He arrived in June. Six months later, Leiweke had committed more than $100 million of MLSE’s money — twice what he’d originally asked for — and permanently altered the economics of a major North American sports league.

The process that would end with the signing of international stars Jermain Defoe and Michael Bradley was more than a cheque-writing exercise.

It was a multi-tiered charm offensive, an intricate wooing process that involved flowers from Drake, dummy negotiations, break-ups and an ‘accidental’ meeting with LeBron James.

He could not negotiate with the player — that’s tampering (though it’s a widespread practice). So he focused on Defoe’s closest advisor, his mother, Sandra.

MLSE invited Sandra for a week in Toronto in early November. Three staffers were assigned to care for her. She was put up at the Ritz. When she got to her room, there were flowers waiting. From Drake.

“Are these really from Drake?” Sandra asked.

Leiweke assured her they were.

They brought her to the ACC on the morning of Nov. 5 before a Raptors game with the Miami Heat. As part of the tour, Sandra visited the hockey dressing room. A Leafs’ jersey emblazoned with Defoe’s name was hung in every stall.

While there, staffers tried to connect Sandra to her son via Skype. They had trouble getting a steady connection. Eventually, they had to move out onto the ice.

Out in the hallway that runs from the Leafs’ dressing room to the basketball visitors’ quarters, LeBron James was waiting to accidentally bump into Sandra.

Leiweke had reached out to James’ manager, Maverick Carter, to ask for the favour.

Still fiddling with the laptop, she missed her window. James returned to begin his pre-game routine.

He’d do his part later. During a break in play in the Raptors game, he approached Sandra, who was sitting courtside with Leiweke. As he walked toward her, James wagged his finger in a familiar, teasing way. Sandra goggled. The most famous athlete on the continent leaned in to suggest Defoe would be happy in Canada.

Sandra turned again, delighted: “That was LeBron James!”

“Everyone loves Toronto,” Leiweke said.

After Sandra left, Leiweke sent Drake back in. The rap star was out on tour. Leiweke worked out a detailed pitch that Drake would make to Defoe over the phone. Defoe would later describe the call as “surreal.” This holistic come-on worked. Within a week, negotiations became serious.

Click on the replies number of a thread.

Code:
Dartastic	       256
Nesotenso	       209
sazabirules	       180
Judderman	       132
xbhaskarx	       131
ActStriker	        93
Rafa=FedKilla	        92
The Culture Vulture	66
platypotamus	        63
Amibguous Cad	        61
Hieberrr	        61
Meier	                53
added_time	        29
Akim	                22

First time I've ever been on a top poster list.

I'm cool with the combined US soccer thread. I'm subscribed to both MLS and USMNT threads. MLS doesn't "need" it's own thread since we have Football OT but that thread moves too fast for us few MLS followers and our conversations would get buried so fast.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I'd rather just get this done right now in one fell swoop instead of having an MLS thread for a few months and then switching over. I don't think it should take a few months to crank out a new OT, and I don't think it's critical to have a new MLS thread right this instant since the season hasn't even started yet.

Let's continue to use this thread for MLS preseason talk until the new OP is ready, and then we can switch everything over.

Yeah, I think the all-encompassing US Soccer thread route is a good idea. A thread for USMNT/MLS/NASL/USL sounds great.

Logo isn't great:

ZJv5R1d.png

Uniforms look good.

FOdf6Ou.jpg

I kind of like it. It's simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom