• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Major League Soccer |OT| Pick your side, it's time for War

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

@tancredipalmeri

BOOM! Xavi has definitely accepted to move to New York RedBull after World Cup, according to Sky Italy

I don't like getting excited over rumors as they usually don't amount to anything, but what if... what if both Drogba and Xavi came to MLS

Holy crap. I'm getting NASL-style flashbacks, or something. This is either tremendous news for the league or the beginning of the end for it.

If true, where could he be going? LA, Seattle, and Toronto are maxed out on DP spots... NY has one left so that has to be it... the only other teams I can see making such a big move are Portland, Montreal, KC, and maybe Vancouver.
Vancouver has Omar Salgado so I sont see it happening. We are talking about the number one pick in yhe MLS SperDraft, the next Chicharito.

Osorio

Hmmm I was just about to give up on the Xavi rumor

Lately we've been rumored to get Armando Lozano from Cordoba, and Ronald Vargas (attacking midfielder) from Anderlecht.

Askani

Since we traded our first pick for Feilhaber last year, I don't have a dog in this fight until #38 overall. No use paying attention for me. I'll catch up on news later.

Osorio

Since we traded our first pick for Feilhaber last year, I don't have a dog in this fight until #38 overall. No use paying attention for me. I'll catch up on news later.

We have 22nd and 34th so I'm not that excited either.

I will be interested to hear our ESC guys boo Garber and make fun of the Philly and DC guys

I also heard we were going to trade someone and our 22nd pick to Vancouver for the 7th pick

Sounds like it's a soft draft class this year with a lot of teams trying to trade down, but there's always some talent in there somewhere.

UncleO

photo.jpg

20140116_120012.jpg

Dartastic

I don't know anything about the players in the draft, but Caleb Porter sounds pretty surprised at who we got as our 17th round pick. So I'll take that as a good thing.

Akim

Banned
Has anyone called making the thread for next season? I wouldn't mind doing it, but if there is someone completely set on it, that's alright too.

xbhaskarx

Has anyone called making the thread for next season? I wouldn't mind doing it, but if there is someone completely set on it, that's alright too.

I was going to send Cornballer a PM on the subject in a few days....

My personal feeling is that we should have one US soccer thread that covers MLS, USMNT, USWNT, NASL, USLPro, College, YNTs, etc. hell even Euro club friendlies on US soil.
My reasoning: there's no sense dividing up the American soccer fanbase in multiple threads, that cuts down on comments as the threads fall off the front page faster and get less exposure, or regulars check subscribed threads less frequently as there are more of them and they're not bumped as frequently.

Plus, we'll get a big influx of more casual fans to a USMNT thread in a World Cup year, and given that a large percentage of the team will be MLS players (unlike last time when it was just Donovan, Buddle, Bornstein, and Findley), it will be easier to get those people interested in the MLS season that resumes soon after.

What do people think?

Osorio

I think that makes the most sense. People who are avid about the USMNT who don't support MLS are asinine. An increased exposure to the league would show these people that it's not a bad league to follow whatsoever and is definitely in their best interest.

Askani

If no one else called it I was assuming I would do something as a default. Was trying to decide if I wanted to make a new '14 MLS thread or just update this OP and get a thread title change. I didn't have any great idea or burning desire to make it. If you do, by all means go for it.

My personal feeling is that we should have one US soccer thread that covers MLS, USMNT, USWNT, NASL, USLPro, College, YNTs, etc. hell even Euro club friendlies on US soil.
My reasoning: there's no sense dividing up the American soccer fanbase in multiple threads, that cuts down on comments as the threads fall off the front page faster and get less exposure, or regulars check subscribed threads less frequently as there are more of them and they're not bumped as frequently.

Plus, we'll get a big influx of more casual fans to a USMNT thread in a World Cup year, and given that a large percentage of the team will be MLS players (unlike last time when it was just Donovan, Buddle, Bornstein, and Findley), it will be easier to get those people interested in the MLS season that resumes soon after.

What do people think?

Sure...I say go for it. We're going on 3 1/2 years on your US Soccer thread and are still under 15k posts. MLS gets about 2.5k-3k a year I guess, so it's not like the thread would move too fast like the other Football community thread does. That would be my only concern. I like to look at the other Football thread, but it's a clusterfuck of speed and no real discussion on anything. However I don't see there being enough news to happen with a US soccer thread anytime soon, if ever.

I think that makes the most sense. People who are avid about the USMNT who don't support MLS are asinine. An increased exposure to the league would show these people that it's not a bad league to follow whatsoever and is definitely in their best interest.

Agreed. Cut down on cross posting and might help spread so love to people who wouldn't otherwise check out a thread. I'm on board.

Akim

Banned
There is a US soccer megathread, maybe post in there and see what the people think?

If no one else called it I was assuming I would do something as a default. Was trying to decide if I wanted to make a new '14 MLS thread or just update this OP and get a thread title change. I didn't have any great idea or burning desire to make it. If you do, by all means go for it.

maybe me and you will have to do alternating years, hahahaha

Askani

Grant Wahl says:

"Grant Wahl ‏@GrantWahl 2m
Official: MLS golden boot winner Camilo transferred to Querétaro for "multi-million dollar fee," says Vancouver. In my book multi=2 or more."

That's a huge blow for Vancouver.

maybe me and you will have to do alternating years, hahahaha

Ehh. I'll let the experts handle it. :p

Akim

Banned
Grant Wahl says:

"Grant Wahl ‏@GrantWahl 2m
Official: MLS golden boot winner Camilo transferred to Querétaro for "multi-million dollar fee," says Vancouver. In my book multi=2 or more."

That's a huge blow for Vancouver.

multi million, only a 1 year option left.......worth it

kIdMuScLe

How is Galaxy looking up this year? How is Samuel... Good or a project with upside? And I hope they could get rid of Rogers man... He looks terrible to me. They need strong wing mid player.

I'm going to follow this thread more since I got first row sideline seats for this upcoming season. Plus is anyone going to the FC Shirak game?

Askani

Ouch!

Goal.com said:
The Vancouver Whitecaps picked up what looked to be an impressive haul of talent at the 2014 MLS Draft, but it appears that one of the team’s most promising draft picks won’t be joining the Whitecaps after all.

Jamaican youth international Andre Lewis, the No. 7 overall pick in the draft, has signed with the NASL’s New York Cosmos, sources confirmed to Goal USA on Friday.

When reached for comment on the signing, Cosmos CEO Erik Stover confirmed that the Cosmos have reached an agreement on contract in principle.

http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4175...aft-pick-lewis-signs-with-cosmos?ICID=HP_BN_1

Askani

Sporting KC turned down a 1 million dollar offer for Erik Palmer-Brown from Juventus.

We must really think that kid is going to be something special. I hope he is. Would like to see him play sometime.

SI.com said:
Sporting Kansas City has turned down a $1 million bid from Italian giant Juventus for 16-year-old defender Erik Palmer-Brown, a source with knowledge of the offer told SI.com.

Palmer-Brown, a member of the U.S. Under-18 national team, was a homegrown signing for the MLS club last August. A resident of Lee’s Summit, Mo., he had been a member of the SKC youth academy since the age of 11.

After signing a pro contract at 16, Palmer-Brown began training with Kansas City’s senior team during the morning and studying at Archbishop O’Hara High in Kansas City, Mo., in the afternoon.

Juventus, which currently sits in first place in Serie A, made its bid for the 6-foot-1, 175-pound Palmer-Brown after watching him play for U.S. youth national teams.

U.S. Under-20 coach Tab Ramos recently included Palmer-Brown in his team’s training sessions for the first time.

http://soccer.si.com/2014/01/24/sporting-kansas-city-erik-palmer-brown-juventus-bid/

Since I am about to go post this in the USMNT thread, here's a great example of why we should merge or create an all encompassing thread.

Dartastic

I'm like an addict who needs his fix at this point. UNGH. Hey Askani, do you know if the preseason SKC v Timbers game is going to be streamed anywhere? I want to see that SO bad.

Askani

I'm like an addict who needs his fix at this point. UNGH. Hey Askani, do you know if the preseason SKC v Timbers game is going to be streamed anywhere? I want to see that SO bad.

That's a good question and I don't know. Sometimes we stream stuff like our Open Cup games if they won't be on TV and some other things. If I see anything I'll let you know.

That's a good question and I don't know. Sometimes we stream stuff like our Open Cup games if they won't be on TV and some other things. If I see anything I'll let you know.

I don't know if either of you do this but you can go to reddit, find your team's or MLS' subreddit, and see if someone makes a match thread the day of. If so, they normally post stream links within.

Hieberrr

Hey MLS bros/brosettes, if you're interested I can upload the working files (Illustrator) for the image below. I was going to make/contribute to the next OT, but this is taking more time than I actually first thought it would. Feel free to use this if you want :)

9nwHYUA.jpg

Dartastic

What do people think?
Any word on this? First preseason game is in less than a week...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom