• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 PC Bullshot thread of "1 FPS? That's 1 screenshot per second"

Dario ff

Banned
Assets from a 2008 game still work pretty well.

ibcLXCvX8vvKWK.png

I'd love to see some crazy Witcher 2 action. I'd give it a try myself but I've learned in the past that I don't have an eye for screenshots.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Why am I seeing huds? Is reading fucking hard?

"No HUD: As we're here to behold the beauty of games, we require HUD-less screenshots or screenshots with minimal on-screen effects outside the game itself. Some games feature non-intrusive minimal HUDs which we also allow, however you should still strive to remove even that if possible."

Those huds I'm seeing aren't minimal. It's like people are just so excited to take a dump and they can't hold it in.

legacyzero

Banned
LOL SPOILER!!!

"No HUD: As we're here to behold the beauty of games, we require HUD-less screenshots or screenshots with minimal on-screen effects outside the game itself. Some games feature non-intrusive minimal HUDs which we also allow, however you should still strive to remove even that if possible."

Those huds I'm seeing aren't minimal. It's like people are just so excited to take a dump and they can't hold it in.
LOL LiquidMetal.

The other two I see, one's not TOO bad, the other one I dont think you can control, can you? Hard Reset, I mean.

Games need to have stories to spoil something.
But I liked him :(

Holy shit. Like, why are you so angry? Wow.

He's right though.

Sure, there are rules set out and they should be followed. But there's no reason to go crazy about it, is it so hard to calmly point something out?. At no point have I looked at screens in this thread and gone "ooooh that's pre....WHAT THE FUCK, A HUD? THIS IS RUINED!"

Sethos

Banned
Sure, there are rules set out and they should be followed. But there's no reason to go crazy about it, is it so hard to calmly point something out?. At no point have I looked at screens in this thread and gone "ooooh that's pre....WHAT THE FUCK, A HUD? THIS IS RUINED!"

Because this is supposed to be the anal retentive version of the High-Res thread with some very specific rules. They are fairly simple and straight forward, yet people don't even bother reading them and just post - It's disrespectful and annoying.

It lowers standards though. If I start uploading at 1600px width no one will go "ooooh that's pre....WHAT THE FUCK, A HUD? THIS IS RUINED!" but it ruins the consistency and quality guarantee of this thread.

Smokey

Everybody should just calm down and post some Crysis 3 shots so we can see how much inferior it is to Killzone SF

Because this is supposed to be the anal retentive version of the High-Res thread with some very specific rules. They are fairly simple and straight forward, yet people don't even bother reading them and just post - It's disrespectful and annoying.

Not being familiar with screenshot thread etiquette I didn't realise it was such a big deal. Always fun learning things about the more niche sides of GAF!

That said, my reaction still stands, no need to be so over the top in response to those failing to follow the rules.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Everybody should just calm down and post some Crysis 3 shots so we can see how much inferior it is to Killzone SF

Yes, we should. I get it but if you came in to mumble and said the same, I'd tell you to fuck off and I'm not one to swear but just because someone here is being a certain way that doesn't mean I will accept it. If I don't accept it outside of this forums, I certainly won't tolerate it here. Otherwise, I have nothing against anyone. I don't like the vitriol here so let's conduct ourselves like adults.

Now, I removed all my screens with HUD included to respect the rules.

Instro

I really appreciate this thread, its nice to have a clear division between what visual fidelity is possible in a playable game and what visuals are possible at unplayable settings.

Lime

Calm down. An overly harsh tone doesn't make people feel welcome and it's not exactly motivational for people to participate properly in it if you/we shit on people not completely adhering to the rules. I understand getting frustrated, but venting like that isn't the right way to go about it.

The HR thread suffers from the same amount of unconstructive negativity and the atmosphere in that thread is worsened by it, imo.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
  • Format: 1920 pixel width, set in stone. Now whether you use a 16:9, 16:10 or 2.35:1 aspect ratio is up to you but we want the width to remain the same throughout all pictures. You can also link to the original non-resized picture if you feel like it.
  • Emulators: Are not allowed, as we feel the majority of emulator shots end up going against the grain of the thread.

I feel like these two should be given a bit of wiggle room, and I think my own shots are evidence enough against it.

You can have really cool, really interesting Bull shot worthy images that work better outside these guidelines.

For one, I offer up my Dark Souls Shot.

ivohQRsHp51DW.png

It was rendered at 8k and downsampled to 4K.

The shot wouldn't get much benefit from being downsampled to 1080p, and a full 2160p shot with quality that clean is way more impressive to look at. I feel like this is pushing bullshots to an even cooler extreme of huge images with great IQ.

As for the Emulators point, there are some games that have art styles that feel to transcend generations, and you can get them to look ways that the system would have never been capable of, as well as still being impressive. Wind Waker is my example.

Rendered at 3200x1800, 9xSSA, custom hud removal texture pack, and SMAA AA.
ikhrCu1ZukjbQ.png

And it's exponentially more impressive when you compare it to what the game looks like rendered at native resolution with none of the tweaks.

iEzhNlzmV5Cnt.png

So hopefully you guys are open to some changes on the rules, because I think there are genuine, impressive cases that support a bit of a change. Any one got any comments or anything let me know.

Sethos

Banned
1: How can you appreciate a picture when you can't even see it in full view? I need to scroll an entire monitor to the right to see the rest of the image, this is on a 30". Not only that is side-scrolling annoying as hell. So I can safely say that won't change. It's extremely hard to appreciate any sort of details like that.

EDIT: put a link to the full size underneath or use your image as a link.

2: Way too many emulator shots just don't look good. Bunch of garbled textures and simply looking like 15 year old games, which isn't what I'd want from a "bullshot" thread. Yes you may get the occasional 'decent' shot that looks better to the original but then we need to start dabbling with special rules for some people or suffer a bunch of ugly emulator shots from everyone.

Spazznid

ikhrCu1ZukjbQ.png

And it's exponentially more impressive when you compare it to what the game looks like rendered at native resolution with none of the tweaks.

iEzhNlzmV5Cnt.png

So hopefully you guys are open to some changes on the rules, because I think there are genuine, impressive cases that support a bit of a change.

Sweet mother O' mercy...

I'll agree with you, but I'd advise the 4k shots to be linked to with a smaller thumbnail, so that it doesn't ruin the layout of the page and so it is easier to focus on.

RoKKeR

Love the idea of this thread. Good work on setting it up Corky/Sethos. Might hop on my PC tonight and whip something up.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
1: How can you appreciate a picture when you can't even see it in full view? I need to scroll an entire monitor to the right to see the rest of the image, this is on a 30". Not only that is side-scrolling annoying as hell. So I can safely say that won't change. It's extremely hard to appreciate any sort of details like that.

EDIT: put a link to the full size underneath or use your image as a link.

2: Way too many emulator shots just don't look good. Bunch of garbled textures and simply looking like 15 year old games, which isn't what I'd want from a "bullshot" thread. Yes you may get the occasional 'decent' shot that looks better to the original but then we need to start dabbling with special rules for some people or suffer a bunch of ugly emulator shots from everyone.

Personally, I like it because it's so big you actually need to scroll to see everything. I love being able to make out the tiniest details because the image was rendered so large. I guess that can be rectified with a link at the bottom.

If that's the issue with emulators, then the rule should just be "Don't post emulator shots unless they're really, genuinely worth looking at." or something along those lines.

I feel that just because some shots are bad doesn't mean all of them should be ruled out.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Great thread. Love the Crysis 3 shots posted early in, really beautiful. Edit: Like ^ that one.

It's like people are just so excited to take a dump and they can't hold it in.

This is an amazingly accurate description of your own posts in pretty much every thread you wander into. Bravo.

Top Bottom