• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Game GIF Thread of Glorious 50fps

tatsuki

15MB limit on gifs, that one is pushing 54MB lol!
Yup I guess you're right, I didn't bother to check to see if there was new rules. It looks like the rules changed because of the webm craze honestly. That's a shame.

Edit:

Maybe they didn't change. I was just going by this in the op

They should be great quality, with great colors and smooth frame rates.

Bandwidth be damned, expect large file sizes.

File size: Remember, smaller the better. Try to keep it at 15 or under. I'm not saying above that isn't allowed, but have a good reason for it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
What's the rules on the size of a WebM file then?

Aim for 15MB, but I wouldn't castrate you for 20MB.

Wow if thats the case I will be picking up MGS Rising then without a shadow of a doubt.

Because just look at how good these textures are.http://a.pomf.se/lozmie.webm

(Also what is the best way to covert to high quality WebM? Seems to be a lot of quality loss)

These are the settings I tend to use for converting to WebM with FFMPEG.

Code:
ffmpeg -r 60 -i in.avi -c:v libvpx-vp9 -pass 1 -r 60 -crf 4 -b:v 20M -c:a libvorbis out.webm

ffmpeg -r 60 -i in.avi -c:v libvpx-vp9 -pass 2 -r 60 -crf 4 -b:v 20M -c:a libvorbis out.webm

-r is frame rate, both in and out (that's why it's used twice)

-libvpx-vp9 is for the codec. It's better to use VP9 but if you want to do VP8 for some reason you can just use libvpx

-pass 1, -pass 2 is 2 pass encoding. Better quality with the same file size, just takes longer. Run the first one then afterward, run the second one and overwrite the previous file.

-crf 4 Quality rate. As far as I know 4 is the highest.

-b:v 20M is the bitrate of the video. 20M usually provide pretty near perfect quality, but be stingy with it because it can give pretty raunchy file sizes. Play around until you strike a good balance.

-c:a libvorbis is for audio. Not needed if it's silent but that's up to you.

For scaling a video, use

-vf scale=320:240

after the filename for what you'll be taking in.

For those with a 120hz monitor, here's a sweet example using

ffmpeg -r 120 -i in.avi -vf scale=640:360 -c:v libvpx-vp9 -pass 1 -r 120 -crf 4 -b:v 20M -c:a libvorbis out.webm

ffmpeg -r 120 -i in.avi -vf scale=640:360 -c:v libvpx-vp9 -pass 2 -r 120 -crf 4 -b:v 20M -c:a libvorbis out.webm

7.21 MB

http://a.pomf.se/qhmsac.webm

I am using a 3970x overclocked at 4.6Ghz and a GTX 690 overclocked along with 32GB KINGSTON HYPERX BEAST QUAD-DDR3 @ 2400MHz and a Rampage IV Extrene mobo but I can imagine that you could get similar or the same performance on a rig with much less power with Crysis 2, nowhere near as demanding as Crysis 3 but still looks pretty damn good as you can see.

God damn is that a nice PC. I've been considering getting another Radeon 7870 so I can crossfire, but I'm wondering if I should just take it out for something else instead.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
For the console resolution debaters I made a comparison.

1080p with AA, 1080p without AA, 720p upscaled to 1080p with AA, 720p upscaled to 1080p without AA.

I used bilinear filtering for the scaler, as that is what most TV's and game systems end up using when scaling content.

The WebM is 1080p and you should absolutely view it full size with no scaling to fully appreciate the difference.

http://a.pomf.se/jiugys.webm

Tonidayo

Looks like my friday night has been planned ! This thread wins, i may just add a few resogun gifs in a little while

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
enb_lighting_by_aloo81-d7gci5s.gif

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
bunch of Webm's. ]

15Mb file size limit per post, cut some of those out and spread it across posts.

Also, make sure you consider all the videos worth while to post. I haven't watched them yet, but no need to eat up bandwidth for multiple GIFs or Webm's of simple stuff like "this is me driving" or something similar.

15Mb file size limit per post, cut some of those out and spread it across posts.

Also, make sure you consider all the videos worth while to post. I haven't watched them yet, but no need to eat up bandwidth for multiple GIFs or Webm's of simple stuff like "this is me driving" or something similar.

Does it really matter when they aren't embeded?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Does it really matter when they aren't embeded?

^ Yeah, wasn't sure. My bad, wasn't going to post it here but saw all the other webms.

Fixed.

Most people are using the WebM extension for Neogaf, which embeds all WebM links so they're automatically loaded in viewable within the webpage, which makes it the GIF competitor it is.

I just realized that might not have been obvious at first, so I see why there may have been confusion bud.

http://a.pomf.se/tldovj.webm
I have a much crisper 720p version but its 47 MB....
There is sound also if you go to the link.

You can hear the sound if you just unmute it!

Also, if you want to link to a larger version, you could likely just use a URL shortener.

Skyzard

Banned
Hmm I have that installed but I thought it only loaded when you clicked them, my bad. Think my internet is just slow.

My files are too big anyway I think.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hmm I have that installed but I thought it only loaded when you clicked them, my bad. Think my internet is just slow.

My files are too big anyway I think.

You can choose to have it not load until click, or you can have it preload and paused, OR you can have it to preload and autoplay (that one is a bit CPU demanding).

Skyzard

Banned
You can choose to have it not load until click, or you can have it preload and paused, OR you can have it to preload and autoplay (that one is a bit CPU demanding).

That's it, I must have set it to not load until click and forgot I did that.

I'm confused a bit by the OP. Going by the thread title and being dumb at making GIFs, I was expecting the "tips" section to actually make my GIF 50 FPS even if I recorded at 33 (which I did) and set the delay to 3/100 or 0.03. Is that not how it works? :p So I actually have to record at 50? I was hoping the 25 and 33 being mentioned were alternatives so we don't get performance drops while getting footage.

Anyway, I wanted to share some Resident Evil 6 in glorious 50 FPS to show why it's one of the most mechanically sound TPSs out there, but alas QQ I guess the 33 FPS will have to do.

re6whopperslidekill383s9w.gif

Why doesn't copy allow me to add

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm confused a bit by the OP. Going by the thread title and being dumb at making GIFs, I was expecting the "tips" section to actually make my GIF 50 FPS even if I recorded at 33 (which I did) and set the delay to 3/100 or 0.03. Is that not how it works? :p So I actually have to record at 50? I was hoping the 25 and 33 being mentioned were alternatives so we don't get performance drops while getting footage.

Anyway, I wanted to share some Resident Evil 6 in glorious 50 FPS to show why it's one of the most mechanically sound TPSs out there, but alas QQ I guess the 33 FPS will have to do.

re6whopperslidekill383s9w.gif

Why doesn't copy allow me to add tags for it to show up? And flickr just saved the gif as a photo. How the fuck do I Internet, goddamn.[/QUOTE]

Aha no sorry, it won't make lower framerate footage look silky smooth and higher.

You've gotta at least record at 50 if you want to display at 50. You can go to other extremes if you want ridiculous motion clarity at high framerates (my latest GIF from Dark Souls above was rendered at 480fps and recorded at 240fps) but generally, recording at 50 to make a 50fps GIF is what you should do, or recording at 60 to make a 60fps WebM.

As for your hosting issues, I'll continue to recommend Sta.sh, because I think it's a fantastic hosting service.

With the flickr issue, it probably saved your image as a fully functional GIF, you just have to access the "original" file.

You can do so by going to the photo page, then selecting the "download/all sizes" option.

[QUOTE][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/orWSvv2.png

As you can see there, that's my GIF page but it looks like a static image.

On the dialog box that comes up, select view all sizes, then on the next page...

Select original and your fully functional GIF should come up just like mine did!

Alternatively, to make that process a lot easier, I made a Chrome extension that lets you just right click on the photo's page, or just right click directly on the link to the photo from within the album and view the original size from there.

And finally, RE6 looks pretty damn cool!

Hey, Alo, thanks for the insightful reply! Very helpful. Hopefully I can manage recording at 50 without much problems to bring RE6 to the spotlight.

EDIT: Nope. Can't do it. I guess this is when having a second HDD would be beneficial so I could record/output on that instead of playing and recording on the same one. 33 FPS is here to stay :(
did someone say RE6

WOOOOOOO
Oh, wow, that's a great mod. I should check the re modding forums more often.

Here's a gif of a game I know for sure isn't covered by anyone (most likely):

14182738620_af376cdc82_o.gif

Pokemon Puzzle League. I'm on the left. Keep your eye on the cursor! You try to match 3 or more. If you match 3 or more consecutively you get a combo going. It's fun seeing how long you can make it. The longest I've gotten was 17 or 18 (which the game recognizes as "??"). Once you finish a combo, you send trash (the blocks) to your opponent and vice-versa. You win/lose when your screen is filled up and you can't get rid of it on time. You get rid of blocks by matching 3 or more with blocks that touch the trash, causing the first "row' of the trash to turn into more blocks, allowing you to set up more combos.

One of my favorite games of all time. Resident Evil 6 actually has a DLC mode that's reminiscent of this game, which is why I love that mode in RE6 in particular. Maybe I'll gif it soon.

Also, compare my speed with the AI's. The hardest AI in this game is on crack.

Top Bottom