• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Draft |OT| Destroying careers before they start (if you're the first pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddahz

Banned
draft14.png

The 2014 NBA Draft is being highly regarded as the best draft since the 2003 NBA Draft, which saw Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, Carmelo Anthony, and Chris Bosh in it. Tonight, we get to see some of the most highly ranked prospects be selected by teams that have traded up, somehow won the first overall pick two years in a row (looking at you Cleveland) and teams who just decided to "tank" last year (even though they admitted to not tanking)

The 2014 NBA Draft is being held tonight at Barclays Center in Brooklyn (coverage starts on ESPN at 7PM EST) and tonight will be a night to remember, as we will see which player Cleveland takes (and pray that the player doesn't end up like Anthony Bennett) and we pray that Joel Embiid doesn't drop as low as Nerlens Noel and ends up crying (even though he won't be there), and see what players teams pick (remember, there is a heavy loaded free agency period about to start as well).

IF THE PICK ISN'T OFFICIAL, PLEASE PUT IT IN SPOILERS!

Draft Order (this will be edited with picks as the night goes on)
NBA:
Isaiah Austin

First Round:
1) Cleveland Cavaliers - Andrew Wiggins
2) Milwaukee Bucks - Jabari Parker
3) Philadelphia 76ers - Joel Embiid
4) Orlando Magic - Aaron Gordon
5) Utah Jazz - Dante Exum
6) Boston Celtics - Marcus Smart
7) Los Angeles Lakers - Julius Randle
8) Sacramento Kings - Nik Stauskas
9) Charlotte Hornets - Noah Vonleh
10) Philadelphia 76ers - Elfrid Payton (traded to Orlando for Dario Saric)
11) Denver Nuggets - DOUGIE MCBUSTKETS (traded to the Bulls (along with Anthony Randolph) for #16 and #19)
12) Orlando Magic - Dario Saric (traded to Philadelphia for Elfrid Payton)
13) Minnesota Timberwolves - Zach LaVine
14) Phoenix Suns - TJ Warren
15) Atlanta Hawks - Adreian Payne
16) Denver Nuggets - Jusuf Nurkic
17) Boston Celtics - James Young
18) Phoenix Suns - Tyler Ennis
19) Denver Nuggets - Gary Harris
20) Toronto Raptors - Bruno Caboclo ("two years away from two years away")
21) Oklahoma City Thunder - Mitch McGary
22) Memphis Grizzlies - Jordan Adams
23) Utah Jazz - Rodney Hood
24) Charlotte Hornets - Shabazz Napier (traded to the Heat)
25) Houston Rockets - Clint Capela
26) Miami Heat - P.J. Hairston (traded to the Hornets)
27) Phoenix Suns - Bogdan Bogdanovic
28) Los Angeles Clippers - C.J. Wilcox
29) Oklahoma City Thunder - Josh Huestis
30) San Antonio Spurs - Kyle Anderson

Second Round:
31) Milwaukee Bucks - Damien Inglis
32) Philadelphia 76ers - K.J. McDaniels
33) Cleveland Cavaliers - Joe Harris
34) New York Knicks - Cleanthony Early
35) Utah Jazz
36) Milwaukee Bucks
37) Toronto Raptors
38) Detroit Pistons
39) Philadelphia 76ers
40) Minnesota Timberwolves
41) Denver Nuggets
42) Houston Rockets
43) Atlanta Hawks
44) Minnesota Timberwolves
45) Charlotte Hornets
46) Washington Wizards
47) Philadelphia 76ers
48) Milwaukee Bucks
49) Chicago Bulls
50) Phoenix Suns
51) New York Knicks
52) Philadelphia 76ers
53) Minnesota Timberwolves
54) Philadelphia 76ers
55) Charlotte Hornets
56) Denver Nuggets
57) Indiana Pacers
58) San Antonio Spurs
59) Toronto Raptors
60) San Antonio Spurs

tzfwtf.gif

BrGitW4IUAEskZJ.png

BrGR1OwCcAAn7xw.jpg

Squalor

I've been reading this and my god, this made me laugh:
My favorite 2006 draft fact: Did you know that Adam Morrison finished with minus-1.4 career win shares? Did you know win shares went negative? How is that even possible? In other words, you and I both did better than him! Let’s have a high-five or at least a fist-pump.
And the motherfucker still has as many rings as LeBron James, haha.

Squalor

I've been reading this and my god, this made me laugh:
My favorite 2006 draft fact: Did you know that Adam Morrison finished with minus-1.4 career win shares? Did you know win shares went negative? How is that even possible? In other words, you and I both did better than him! Let’s have a high-five or at least a fist-pump.
The article is rife with hilarious asides, but I think my favorite is:

Bill Simmons said:
(I have a request: Can all “Pat Riley is a genius!” conversations include a mandatory “Picked [Michael] Beasley over [Russell] Westbrook and [Kevin] Love” qualifier from now on? Thanks.)

fertygo

I've been reading this and my god, this made me laugh

This one also great.

Funniest retroactive moments: Pat Riley nearly taking Chris Kaman over Wade (that’s true), and Donald Sterling throwing a tantrum because he didn’t want to take a white guy with the no. 6 pick (also true). Just think, if Miami had taken Kaman — The Decision never happens, LeBron goes to New York or Chicago in 2010, Bosh probably signs with Houston, Howard eventually ends up in Dallas, and Wade absolutely punches out Donald Sterling. That’s a bizarre alternate universe.

Bowser

According to Chad Ford Hornets offered Magic #24 pick and Gerald Henderson for Afflalo and they went with Denver's offer instead. I can understand not wanting to trade in your own division, but seriously? Denver's offer was horseshit compared to ours.

Hope the Celtics have some trades to make tonight. I'd rather not go through a long rebuild after waiting for years for them to be legit title contenders with Pierce.

According to Chad Ford Hornets offered Magic #24 pick and Gerald Henderson for Afflalo and they went with Denver's offer instead. I can understand not wanting to trade in your own division, but seriously? Denver's offer was horseshit compared to ours.

supposedly the Denver offer is one part of a larger deal

I'm still upset about the Cavs getting another first pick although I guess they have a chance at screwing themselves again. I just hope Philly is able to get Wiggins or Parker, as good as JE supposedly is going to be, I'd hate to see another pick sit on the bench all year.

shira

SI top 10
1 CLEVELAND CAVALIERS ANDREW WIGGINS, GUARD
2 MILWAUKEE BUCKS JABARI PARKER, FORWARD
3 PHILADELPHIA 76ERS DANTE EXUM, GUARD
4 ORLANDO MAGIC NOAH VONLEH, FORWARD
5 UTAH JAZZ AARON GORDON, FORWARD
6 BOSTON CELTICS JOEL EMBIID, CENTER
7 LOS ANGELES LAKERS JULIUS RANDLE, FORWARD
8 SACRAMENTO KINGS MARCUS SMART, GUARD
9 CHARLOTTE HORNETS DOUG MCDERMOTT, FORWARD
10 PHILADELPHIA 76ERS NIK STAUSKAS, GUARD

nbadraft.net top 10
1 Cleveland Andrew Wiggins Fr.
2 Milwaukee Jabari Parker Fr.
3 Philadelphia Joel Embiid Fr.
4 Orlando Dante Exum Intl.
5 Utah Utah Noah Vonleh Fr.
6 Boston Marcus Smart So.
7 LA Lakers Julius Randle Fr.
8 Sacramento Aaron Gordon Fr.
9 Charlotte Elfrid Payton Jr.
10 Philadelphia Gary Harris So.

NBADExpress
1 Cavaliers Andrew Wiggins SFKansas, Freshman
2 Bucks Jabari Parker SF/PF Duke, Freshman
3 76ers Joel Embiid C Kansas, Freshman
4 Magic Dante Exum PG/SG Australian Institute of Sport, International
5 Jazz Noah Vonleh PF Indiana, Freshman
6 Celtics Marcus Smart PG Oklahoma State, Sophomore
7 Lakers Julius Randle PF Kentucky, Freshman
8 Kings Elfrid Payton PG La Lafayette, Junior
9 Bobcats Doug McDermott SF/PF Creighton, Senior
10 76ers Aaron Gordon PF Arizona, Freshman

Oozer3993

I'm hoping the Cavs take Wiggins. I gotta pull for my fellow Andrew. And who doesn't love a Canuck?

#1 overall picks taken on June 26th:

Larry Johnson
Allen Iverson
Yao Ming
LeBron James
Derrick Rose

I like that history.

I thought Bill Simmons's Grantland piece on the draft yesterday was pretty good. I'm a simmons fan though so that might explain it.

Given their history with the draft that seems like a bold move haha.

Ha seems true, but last year's draft was extremely weak. Can't blame em for AB.
Waiter, Irving and to a lesser extent TT have been good to decent picks. I have absolutely no idea if it's Parker or Wiggins this time around.

My team, the Kings, are probably going to wind up taking a PG named Elfrid.

Apparently the Kings are so desperate for talent they've been scouting Middle-Earth.

Jonm1010

Banned
I thought Bill Simmons's Grantland piece on the draft yesterday was pretty good. I'm a simmons fan though so that might explain it.

It just puts things in perspective. Tanking is no guarantee of success. Lots of great talent has been found outside of the top picks. Lots of great talent outside of the lottery.

Also goes to show that trading away your none top 10 picks like candy for average starters means you possibly missed out on opportunities to grab a cornerstone piece.

Which is why I wish the Pelicans weren't so quick to throw our picks into trades.

Bowser

I like Simmons but sometimes his takes/exaggeration is just astonishing. Like in his latest podcast with Chad Ford, he said he likes Embiid and Embiid passes his "eye test," but then claims when he saw Oden play in person, he never passed his eye test. Like, c'mon man, don't act like you knew Oden was going to be a bust or that he wasn't a great player in college.

And then both he and Ford are super high on Gordon, comparing him to Kwahi Leonard and saying all he needs to do is learn to shoot the corner 3 and he'd be dangerous/Matrix 2.0, etc. I think Gordon has great potential, but c'mon, "learning to shoot" is fucking hard. Gordon shot 42% from the stripe. FORTY-TWO PERCENT. I mean, Simmons has "given up" on MKG and thinks his shot is forever broken, and MKG shot fucking 74.5% from the stripe in his lone season at Kentucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom