• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA Draft |OT| The Resurrection of the Lakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comments on Deadspin about the trade that wasn't are already pretty good.

"If there’s one thing we know about Michael Jordan, it’s that he likes to gamble."

"If there’s two things we know about Michael Jordan, it’s that he likes to gamble and is bad at it."

SaintR

Great so now Daily news and ESPN reporting that Melo not happy about pick and feels "betrayed". Cmon with this, can someone please seriously tell me who Melo thinks is the player the Knicks whiffed on that was a mortal lock in getting them to the playoffs??? please with this.

Great so now Daily news and ESPN reporting that Melo not happy about pick and feels "betrayed". Cmon with this, can someone please seriously tell me who Melo thinks is the player the Knicks whiffed on that was a mortal lock in getting them to the playoffs??? please with this.

Clearly, it was Frank Kaminsky.

I assume he wanted them to trade it for a vet.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I can't possibly believe the Celtics Hornets trade talk. No way that offer was a real thing.

Clearly, it was Frank Kaminsky.

B6o-F3dCQAAtuvT.jpg

f12515719746b995d77563c79f51c68d_crop_exact.jpg

Nothing stops the tank. Would have embraced the Knicks mission. Phil should have drafted him. Michael would have made that trade, Celtics fan would have thought they found their future star. Everyone is happy.

He couldn't think its Mudiay because he went on record saying drafting a 18-19 year old PG isn't going to have an immediate effect. (A 23 year old Grant however may). I really liked Winslow but I don't think thats who he had in mind. Actually, this whole story doesn't make any sense.

He could very well be pissed, but do you really think Isola is going to know about it? Didn't Melo sit in on Porzingas' workout with the Knicks and reportedly like what he saw or was that another bullshit NY media spin?

Also 6 months ago the media had the NBA believe that Melo and THjr hated each others guts. Now they are besties who Melo is crying over for being traded for a younger and more two-way player? GTFO NY media.

edit:

And SAS can choke on something. He don't know shit about any of these players yet he acts like he's in their personal entourage. Melo feels betrayed before free agency? Right...

Melo knew exactly what he was getting into resigning with the Knicks. Now he's just posturing to keep up the appearance that being on a good team is a top priority.

phanphare

Banned
I think Russell may be my favourite player in the draft. The boy is a beast

Russell-004.gif

output_l7LZU9.gif

image.gif

yeah that was a fantastic pick for the lakers

with the right moves coming up they could be right in the thick of it for this season while having a really nice player (who is basically a necessity in the west) to build around going forward

Kaminsky when asked whether he associates barbecue as a food or a style of cooking: "It's a sauce." - @DavidGlennShow

This is who Jordan turned down 6 picks for?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I got drunk last night and expected to wake up to a bit of clarity regarding what the fuck the Sixers are doing. Have they explained themselves yet?

TrustThePonziScheme

While I agree that those Nets picks may not ever turn into anything amazing I wonder if you guys could've traded back and still picked up Kaminsky.

Phx was his floor. If you look at the picks BOS can offer, odds are none of them ever end up being a lottery pick. NJ will end up as the 8 seed perpetually; and there is a Memphis pick that will probably be high 20s. So really you're saying

16 + 16-20 + 28 + 25 for 9.

Not worth it. This isn't the NFL where you can just keep taking chances on folks. One all-star level player > 5 rotation players in this league.

phanphare

Banned
Kaminsky when asked whether he associates barbecue as a food or a style of cooking: "It's a sauce." - @DavidGlennShow

This is who Jordan turned down 6 picks for?

lol

this guy ain't built for that NC life

if he said whole hog or gtfo I'd flip flop completely on my thoughts about this pick

meanwhile in an alternate dimension big al, kemba, and mcjesus made the playoffs last year

;__;

Gigglepoo

towns: taller, better al horford
russell: less athletic brandon roy
okafor: taller, better passing al jefferson with less range
zinger: channing frye with good defense
hezonja: more athletic klay thompson
wcs: tyson chandler clone
mudiay: 2nd rate john wall
johnson: less crazy metta world peace
kaminsky: who cares
winslow: iguodala with better interior scoring

Gah! You stopped one pick away from my team. Can we get a quick breakdown of Taylor?

Kickz

Melo knew exactly what he was getting into resigning with the Knicks. Now he's just posturing to keep up the appearance that being on a good team is a top priority.

He should shutup and keep collecting those paychecks, regardless KNicks are back in the lottery next year

Oak is like Derrick Rose, he really only has one expression and its that sleepy sorta grumpy Eeyore look. I wouldn't read too much into it. He seemed to have a laid back personality and all 4 of the freshmen were well liked by the other team members. May not mean much from a Duke fan but I've seen some posts in here about Okafor and Winslow that make me think some of you believe they're Austin Rivers pt 2 (and 3).

Speaking of Winslow, its funny how salty a lot of Duke fans are that he won't be playing for Charlotte. He's a better fit in Miami and looking back on it, Frank the Tank might be a better choice for Charlotte's roster after reading that McRoberts comparison. Its obvious the hornets missed that last year, so if they have a guy that can stretch and free up AJ, then thats a plus. There is no need to have Winslow and MKG on the same team. Winslow may end up being the better offensive player (he's a btter shooter for sure) but he's not carrying offense.

#notallbluedevils

https://vine.co/v/OFuve0v9lhP

Bowser

The Hornets, and likely MJ's, perspective for turning down all those picks:

Dr. E ‏@BaselineDrE 2h2 hours ago
So here's the thing about rumored Cs offer to move up to #9: when teams tear down & rebuild, they collect multiple assets for their vets...

Everyone freely admits that they aren't likely to use all those assets themselves. They are to package together in deals for impact players.

Dr. E ‏@BaselineDrE 1h1 hour ago
& the other team essentially has be thinking "yeah it's our turn on the rebuilding merry-go round, we'll take the haul of deferred assets"

But Hornets are not in that position. Books are clear, have all own future picks, want to maximize current roster & saw player who helps now

So, sorry all those "assets" are burning a hole in your pocket Ainge.

Now, Hornets moves this offseason indicate that they could no longer juggle trying to make playoffs while developing raw talent.

They are clearly trying to max out this Kemba/MKG/Al core, and I think the ceiling is admittedly kinda low.

But it's not like they are over-committed to it either. Books are very clean for future reboot.

Also, turns out Charlotte wasn't the only ones who told Ainge to fuck off:

The Celtics also made unsuccessful attempts to acquire pick Nos. 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8, sources said.

Omega

Banned
Honestly doesn't help that Phil went out last night and basically said to not expect the world from him in the first year.

Knicks fans should have patience. They should realize their roster is garbage and the turnaround is going to take a while. But this is a franchise that has won a total of 1 playoff series in the last 15 years. They suck. They suck every year. Expecting the fans to be totally cool with another couple years of suck is asking for a lot.

That franchise is just entertainment for you guys so you can say shit like "lel lower your expectations"

There's no plan for the team. When they signed Melo they said they wanted to compete and most fans had pipe dreams of the team trying to make some noise in the 2015 FA. That team doesn't even have an NBA caliber player outside of Melo, how are you supposed to convince someone to come here? But hey that's fine, plans change. So you're going to tank and rebuild through the draft. We're fine with that

Except you don't even do that right and walk away with Kristaps fucking Porzingis when you could have had KAT, Jahlil or Russell.

That franchise is a mess and will never have a winning culture as long as Dolan is alive. I just wish fellow New Yorkers would wipe their hands of that garbage franchise like I did. It's not even worth it.

PBY

Banned
The Hornets, and likely MJ's, perspective for turning down all those picks:

So here's the thing about rumored Cs offer to move up to #9: when teams tear down & rebuild, they collect multiple assets for their vets...

Everyone freely admits that they aren't likely to use all those assets themselves. They are to package together in deals for impact players.

& the other team essentially has be thinking "yeah it's our turn on the rebuilding merry-go round, we'll take the haul of deferred assets"

But Hornets are not in that position. Books are clear, have all own future picks, want to maximize current roster & saw player who helps now

So, sorry all those "assets" are burning a hole in your pocket Ainge.

Now, Hornets moves this offseason indicate that they could no longer juggle trying to make playoffs while developing raw talent.

They are clearly trying to max out this Kemba/MKG/Al core, and I think the ceiling is admittedly kinda low.

But it's not like they are over-committed to it either. Books are very clean for future reboot.

Also, turns out Charlotte wasn't the only ones who told Ainge to fuck off:

Ceiling isn't "kinda low" when your core as-is didn't even make the playoffs in the East and you're in the lottery.

That's not a core. You can't win now with that.

Bowser

Ceiling isn't "kinda low" when your core as-is didn't even make the playoffs in the East and you're in the lottery.

Yeah, I get that. Then again, Kemba missed 20 games, Al missed 17 games, and MKG missed 27 games. We were incredibly injury riddled and had chemistry and roster construction issues (Stephenson for the former, non-shooting wings/big men on the latter).

In the end, I don't think MJ is interested in the asset accumulation game.

Last year is kind of a misnomer, though. MKG, Kemba, and Jefferson all missed significant time with injuries. And there was Lance.

That said, their ceiling is clearly still in the bottom half of eastern playoff teams, no matter how optimistic you happen to be about it.

PBY

Banned
Yeah, I get that. Then again, Kemba missed 20 games, Al missed 17 games, and MKG missed 27 games. We were incredibly injury riddled and had chemistry and roster construction issues (Stephenson for the former, non-shooting wings/big men on the latter).

In the end, I don't think MJ is interested in the asset accumulation game.

That's fine. I just think those are are just ways to talk yourself into being a competent 4-6 seed. If you're cool with that and really never winning shit, that's fine.

But yeah.

Highly disagree. In this Eastern Conference, with some good shooting roleplayers Charlotte should be a playoff team. Not anywhere near a contender but definitely a 6-8 seed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom