• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Feb |OT| Stern retires after failed attempt to bring pro basketball to NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

linsivvi

I love the media people arguing that Aaron Gordon should stay at Arizona.

Yes, he should pass up a minimum of $4 million guaranteed dollars to risk being the next James Michael-McAdoo and never end up making an NBA roster. Take the money.

Yeah the media people are part of the problem.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Boozer is overpaid when you've got Taj Gibson
Taj has greatly improved, but I have to see if it's sustained. Taj is playing more minutes than Boozer, but is averaging 13 and 7. Boozer is averaging 15 and 9 on less time.

No one, the Bulls will be a much better team then.
With Rose and Noah's injury history, they'll still be a regular season East dynamo. Big deal.

LOL! They wish.

Truphenom

Listening to this Carmelo Anthony interview on SportsCenter... LOL if the Knicks don't make some kind a deal, ANYTHING to improve the team/get the right players playing the right amount of minutes, Carmelo is so gone.

I'd be shocked of they were able to make a trade where they didn't get raped. I have no faith in the front office other than the few drafts they're able to participate in.

Yeah, he's really long-term (his defensive awareness is also terrible right now and his shot is shaky), but he's a great shot creator and athlete so he has a ton of upside that I think guys like Wiggins and Randle don't.

I like Exum's upside too, his shoulders are fairly broad too so I think he should be able to add the mass he needs to attack the rim. I'd like Wiggins more, because of his insane athleticism and agility but his lack of aggressiveness really sours me on his upside. Athletes abound in the NBA, skills, iq, and the commitment to improvement are what separate players. Not sure if Wiggins has it in that department.

Yeah the media people are part of the problem.

It's best just to tune them out, they either have an ulterior agenda or they're just stupidly naive.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Boozer has negative offensive win shares this year, he's scoring from volume alone.
His FG% is only a little bit lower than Taj's. Either way, it's a moot point. It's obvious that Boozer doesn't give a fuck anymore. When Rose was playing at the beginning of the year, Boozer was trying the hardest I had seen in years on both sides of the ball,He was averaging near 20 and 10 on great FG shooting. Then, when Rose got hurt, and it became obvious that this season was a wash, Boozer just stopped trying. I've never seen someone have such a drop off in effort. I can't blame him, though. Another lost season due to Rose's injuries. He's not going to try to kill himself for the sake of another regular season ring, and a fanbase that never gave him a chance because he's not LeBron, and don't want to accept that free agents don't want to come play for a hoarse voiced lunatic and one of the cheapest ownership groups in the league.

MVP

Banned
knows it took MJ years to break through because he was up against Magic's Lakers, Bird's Celtics and Isiah's Pistons.

Yeah how many times did he get past those teams before they got old? Right...he had to wait so he could beat up on the Knicks, Pacers and the almighty Cavaliers led by Craig Ehlo the Hall of Famer. He didn't even have to join other stars, they came to him. After he got embarassed by the Magic in the semis, oh lets just go get THE BEST REBOUNDER OF ALL TIME. Nope, MJ did it al by himself.

MJ is overrated. At least Lebron showed up in a game 7 of a finals.

Lebron was making the Finals on a garbage team at the same point of his career that MJ was still getting his ass handed to him by the Pistons and not even MAKING the Finals.

LBJ gets crucified for losing in the Finals, while MJ gets a slide because during those years he wasn't even making it to the Finals. It's pretty pathetic what the media has ingrained in folks about MJ, seriously.

I'd be shocked of they were able to make a trade where they didn't get raped. I have no faith in the front office other than the few drafts they're able to participate in.
I'm not necessarily even making a big move, just excise the useless chaff. Trade Udrih for a 2nd rounder (Spurs have been interested in him all year). Limit Felton's minutes and play commit to playing Tyler/Murry/THardJr. more minutes. When STAT is in make him the focal point of the O. Change the lineup and play smallball...

And for the love of GOD, stop the "always switch" defensive policy, Knicks don't have the personnel to do it like they did in 2012, and stats prove it doesn't work.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I love the media people arguing that Aaron Gordon should stay at Arizona.

Yes, he should pass up a minimum of $4 million guaranteed dollars to risk being the next James Michael-McAdoo and never end up making an NBA roster. Take the money.

Yeah he needs to go pro and get himself that Austin Rivers money before everybody figures out he sucks.

Yeah he needs to go pro and get himself that Austin Rivers money before everybody figures out he sucks.

Too late

That said I think folks have soured on Parker and Wiggins more than they should have. I really like both of them and Exum in this draft. I just hope Wiggins gets picked by the right team, because he is going to need good leadership around him to get him to play to his potential.

Edit: Vonleh too, if Embiid stays those are your top 4 guys. Big dropoff after those 4 imo.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I just hope the Magic draft Doug McDermott (with the Knicks pick). Dude can play. Pretty much the antithesis of a sexy player, so I can't even see him being a top 10 pick even though he should be.

exarkun

Let's watch Charles Barkley attempt to sing "Gin & Juice".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4MYla5llik

Hes got a nice voice. Coulda been a rapper. But should he be drinking on stage? It wasn't too long ago that we were watching Inside the NBA solely because Barkley was clearly drunk on set.

RE: Wiggins. He gets up offensively for the big games. And I know thats worrying, but his defense and rebounding is still there for the other games. Its odd, but still, thats him. If my team drafted him, I would know that there would need some offensive development in the area of when to push offensively, and how to know when to shoot. He needs veteran leadership.

Wiggins is just too out of control and uncoordinated for me. The way he misses layup after layup in brutal fashion really makes me really doubt how much upside he has. I think he's more in the "potentially very good" tier with guys like Vonleh or Saric than "potentially great."

I just hope the Magic draft Doug McDermott (with the Knicks pick). Dude can play. Pretty much the antithesis of a sexy player, so I can't even see him being a top 10 pick even though he should be.

He can really shoot, but...Players as old as him and with steal+block numbers as bad as him almost always fail in the NBA.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Listening to this Carmelo Anthony interview on SportsCenter... LOL if the Knicks don't make some kind a deal, ANYTHING to improve the team/get the right players playing the right amount of minutes, Carmelo is so gone.
Good.

My board is like this right now:

1. Jabari
2. Embiid
3. Smart
4. LaVine
5. Wiggins

Embiid is really good but I think the center position is starting to get pretty populated. Elite wings are getting really hard to find in comparison and I just have to go with the guaranteed All-Star scoring wing who will be in the league probably 14 years.

Forever

Banned
That rumored Melo to Chicago trade would be too smart and make too much sense, the Knicks will never do it.

They will keep him until the end of the season and let him walk for nothing.

Which team would be willing to trade away #assets for half a season Melo rental?

If the Knicks do trade Melo, they will lose the trade horribly and if they dont, they still lose 'cause Melo is 100% walking like he should.

Scott Brooks starting Harden over CP3 in New Orleans is pretty shitty, IMO. Should have given CP3 that nod given the location.

Then again, Brooks is probably just confused on how to make a starting lineup without Perkins.

League sources familiar with Silver’s thinking say his priorities include speeding up the game and improving officiating, among other areas. (The sources spoke on condition of anonymity because the policies have not yet been widely discussed.)

* Game duration: The league has instituted some modest speed-up efforts, but Silver wants to go further. He is particularly focused on streamlining the final minutes, which too often become a grinding series of fouls and timeouts. Another possibility: cutting overtime periods to two or three minutes from the current five.

* Officiating: Silver wants to make the game easier to officiate and to eliminate as much subjective officiating as possible. One possibility: using camera tracking data to make goaltending calls automatically, instead of leaving it to referees.

* Instant replay: Silver wants to keep expanding its use to do everything possible to get every major call correct. The league is also weighing whether to move the replay duties to an off-site referee to speed up the process.

* Conference/division changes: It is believed that Silver will at least entertain the possibility of eliminating divisions to avoid having poor teams claim high playoff seedings.

* The draft lottery: With so many teams being accused of “tanking” to gain a high draft pick, Silver is open to reexamining the entire lottery system.

Silver is already on the record as being in favor of raising the NBA age limit to 20, just as Stern was.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-basketball-will-help-shape-focus-in-new-role

Interesting. I'm definitely in favor of some of this.

They still wouldn't have the capspace.

If they did, they'd have $47 mil committed to 6 players + Rip's stretch provision, + let's say $1 mil to a draft pick, so $48 million. Add another $2.5 million for roster holds and we're over $50 million so almost $10 mil cap space.

This also means Hinrich is renounced.

To sign Melo to anything close to a max, they really have to trade Taj for mostly expiring and amnesty boozer.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
If they did, they'd have $47 mil committed to 6 players + Rip's stretch provision, + let's say $1 mil to a draft pick, so $48 million. Add another $2.5 million for roster holds and we're over $50 million so almost $10 mil cap space.

This also means Hinrich is renounced.

To sign Melo to anything close to a max, they really have to trade Taj for mostly expiring and amnesty boozer.
Yeah, Bulls have to trade Taj or some combination or Dunleavy plus Hinrich. Losing Taj wouldn't be a big deal if they're getting Melo, because they could get Mirotic for the MLE.

Truphenom

I'm not necessarily even making a big move, just excise the useless chaff. Trade Udrih for a 2nd rounder (Spurs have been interested in him all year). Limit Felton's minutes and play commit to playing Tyler/Murry/THardJr. more minutes. When STAT is in make him the focal point of the O. Change the lineup and play smallball...

And for the love of GOD, stop the "always switch" defensive policy, Knicks don't have the personnel to do it like they did in 2012, and stats prove it doesn't work.

It's funny how a lot of these seem like no brainers yet we haven't seen any of this yet. Either Woodson is too dumb/stubborn to make changes or the players are ignoring him. Maybe it's both at this point.

Its just common sense. I really really dont think he will stay unless the Knicks provide him a lot of help, which I dont have any confidence in the organization to do. Dude wants to chip.

Lakers and Bulls are the only teams that have a shot at him and that he'll consider. But they're not contenders especially not with big money tied up with players coming off serious injuries. I don't see him taking a big paycut just to rebuild somewhere else.

Letting players play and not calling fouls every other trip down the court should help speed things up. Not sure how I feel about the draft system. The league already has a good system in place. They just need some punishment system in conjunction with the lottery system.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Lakers and Bulls are the only teams that have a shot at him and that he'll consider. But they're not contenders especially not with big money tied up with players coming off serious injuries. I don't see him taking a big paycut just to rebuild somewhere else.
It's not saying much, but the Bulls could easily be a top 3 seed in the East this year and that's without Rose or Deng. With Miami aging, they could beat them and the Pacers with this starting 5.

Rose
Butler
Melo
Mirotic
Noah

I bet they'll start limiting timeouts used in the last 5 minutes and possibly add tech fouls for fouling more than 5 times in the last 5 minutes. As for Melo, there's no way the Clips could sign him unless he took a massive paycut. They'd be really stupid to trade Blake away considering he's significantly better, is younger, and is continuing to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom