• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Feb |OT| Stern retires after failed attempt to bring pro basketball to NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lakers and Bulls are the only teams that have a shot at him and that he'll consider. But they're not contenders especially not with big money tied up with players coming off serious injuries. I don't see him taking a big paycut just to rebuild somewhere else.

Melo isn't leaving a supermax deal with the franchise he actually wanted to go to in order to play with a coach he didn't like playing for and personnel with serious age (Gasol, Kobe, Nash) or injury (Kobe, Nash) issues...and then end up in cap hell in an even more difficult conference to succeed in.

...but hey, people that want Melo to leave either curiously really love the same player they argue is flawed/bad/etc, or just want to do the usual.

Bulls-Age, what's the deal w/Mirotic? His name keeps getting brought up, but he's never played in the league. Is this like Tiago Splitter where he's an ultra-Euro prospect?

Truphenom

Melo saying he would take a pay cut to stay with the Knicks if they have a plan that makes sense. One of these don't seem like it would happen lol.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Melo isn't leaving a supermax deal with the franchise he actually wanted to go to in order to play with a coach he didn't like playing for and personnel with serious age (Gasol, Kobe, Nash) or injury (Kobe, Nash) issues...and then end up in cap hell in an even more difficult conference to succeed in.

...but hey, people that want Melo to leave either curiously really love the same player they argue is flawed/bad/etc, or just want to do the usual.

Bulls-Age, what's the deal w/Mirotic? His name keeps getting brought up, but he's never played in the league. Is this like Tiago Splitter where he's an ultra-Euro prospect?
Scouts coming back from Europe say that he could go top 3 if he was in this year's draft. He's a young guy with years of pro ball experience, and he was MVP of a few leagues or so. PF, with similarities in size to Dirk. At most, I project him to be what Taj is now. A decent starting PF, but I'm not sure about his defense.

Although, you asked Bulls-age. Let's wait until one of them says something, lol.

More like Ricky Rubio but with actual playing time and better outlook. High IQ, great shooter and good at almost everything, plus he has a good physique.

Here is a good scout video about him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjaHc9Vp9wU

It's not saying much, but the Bulls could easily be a top 3 seed in the East this year and that's without Rose or Deng. With Miami aging, they could beat them and the Pacers with this starting 5.

Rose
Butler
Melo
Mirotic
Noah

Rose may never be his old self again and he's taking up 19-20mil in capspace. Melo on this years bulls team sans boozer or deng could still be competive but they playoffs would be a different story. Unless he's traded at the deadline, he would be taking a paycut for minor upgrades.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Rose may never be his old self again and he's taking up 19-20mil in capspace. Melo on this years bulls team sans boozer or deng would still compete but they playoffs would be a different story. Unless he's traded at the deadline, he would be taking a paycut for minor upgrades.
Minor upgrades? Even in the current horrendous East, the Knicks aren't a playoff team. It would be a major upgrade.

Minor upgrades? Even in the current horrendous East, the Knicks aren't a playoff team. It would be a major upgrade.

Better coaching staff, but no I don't believe the rose-less bulls are a major upgrade from the knicks, especially after a trade. In FA, Melo isn't going to leave millions and hope Rose can be his old self in a year or two. Too much risk when he can always go ring chasing later.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Better coaching staff, but no I don't believe the rose-less bulls are a major upgrade from the knicks, especially after a trade. In FA, Melo isn't going to leave millions and hope Rose can be his old self in a year or two. Too much risk when he can always go ring chasing later.
What do you mean the Rose-less Bulls aren't a major upgrade? One team is out of the playoff picture in the East, and the other is the current #4. That's right now. Take Melo off the Knicks and put him on the current Bulls, and see what happens. Then, add a decent Rose and Mirotic, and now you have real possibilities.

Arnie Duncan will beast in the celeb game but zzzzzz Hart will win mvp again

Melo going to the lakers , then Love then either Kyrie or westbrook

boom
carmelo-anthony.jpg

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
He's Coach Nick and not GM Nick.

Not really sure why people are still high on Barnes. He could get better but whats the ceiling really? An average NBA player? If the Warriors could trade Barnes they should have done it already.

He's going to take less money to play with the Bulls and Derrick Rose's chronically injured knees while having the pressure to win, and needing to do so in his endorser's house?

The Clips, maybe...but then I guess they can't keep Griffin too, I'd wager.

I feel like the Clippers would be insane to take Melo over Griffin at this point in their careers. I don't think Blake is untradeable or anything like that, I just don't think Carmelo Anthony is a guy you would trade him for.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Melo saying he would take a pay cut to stay with the Knicks if they have a plan that makes sense. One of these don't seem like it would happen lol.

in my mind that was more like a challenge to them, than a promise.

Like he was like "tell me at least one of you have a plan and I'll help..... I mean Anyone?"

We'll see though, he could take a few million in less guaranteed money and if the knicks become good the title of "king of NY sports" (and the money involved) could be his with jeter leaving.

What do you mean the Rose-less Bulls aren't a major upgrade? One team is out of the playoff picture in the East, and the other is the current #4. That's right now. Take Melo off the Knicks and put him on the current Bulls, and see what happens. Then, add a decent Rose and Mirotic, and now you have real possibilities.

Who would still be there after a trade and you think Melo will look at that lineup and think that's the team I want to be on? In FA, Melo would be giving up, upwards of 30million, there should be more of a guarantee than mirotic and hope that rose is his old self. As good as Thibs has been, his name isn't big enough to draw players.

exarkun

Steph is an astonishing shooter. But an open door on defense. Klay plays D, but is streaky and he doesn't drive to the basket as much as I would like for a potentially high level player.

Barnes plays good D, he just needs to develop that offensive game. I can see what Nick is saying, and cmon its Coach Nick who most people on this board including myself love, but there are a few too many "ifs" with Barnes' game to really make that statement with conviction. Give him time; we didnt think DeRozan would have all-star level play for a season with all that Toronto nonsense but here we are.

Steph is an astonishing shooter. But an open door on defense. Klay plays D, but is streaky and he doesn't drive to the basket as much as I would like for a potentially high level player.

Barnes plays good D, he just needs to develop that offensive game. I can see what Nick is saying, and cmon its Coach Nick who most people on this board including myself love, but there are a few too many "ifs" with Barnes' game to really make that statement with conviction. Give him time; we didnt think DeRozan would have all-star level play for a season with all that Toronto nonsense but here we are.

It's been half a season and many people think Lowry should have been chosen over DeRozan. I don't think that's the best example.

Of course Dolan won't allow that. The more interesting quote is that he will take less money in free agency to help Knicks.
IF the Knicks actually show they're interestesd in getting better for the future right now.. Since they're not firing Woody that means either a) gutting the assistants and hiring a new staff b) making cosmetic moves that help for the future.

The worst thing the Knicks can do is do absolutely nothing, not play the younger guys, and keep doing the same moronic coaching decisions.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Who would still be there after a trade and you think Melo will look at that lineup and think that's the team I want to be on? In FA, Melo would be giving up, upwards of 30million, there should be more of a guarantee than mirotic and hope that rose is his old self. As good as Thibs has been, his name isn't big enough to draw players.
The starting lineup I gave would still be there after a trade. Besides the 30 mil, what keeps him in NY? That team isn't changing, and they can't get to the playoffs now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom