• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"2014 will mark a renaissance for Sonic the Hedgehog"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ooccoo

Hopefully Sonic now has badass weaponry at his disposal to defeat Robotnik's minions. I wouldn't mind the game being being a TPS with objective-based missions and medals. Add a multiplayer arena mode for maximum enjoyment.

Yes, I lost all faith for this series a long while ago

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I just want a new 2D gameplay Sonic game, without stupid gimmicks like the (IMO) game-breaking auto-attack lock on, and physics like the classics. That's all I'm asking for.

Honest question for Sonic fans:

Don't you feel like a battered spouse?

Naw, it's not like I HAD to play 06, I did much later try it preowned just so I could say I had tried it, so I wasn't just following the crowd in bashing it.

At worst I'm a little disappointed in Sega as they seem to disregard the series' rich history and range of Characters at times. When they do try to put it into consideration, it's in hot messes like Sonic 4 (I suppose we'll never see Sonic 4: Episode 3 at this rate...)

Generations was great because Sega got back in touch with all that, even Lost World is a bit better, though I didn't really get on with it well at all

While I liked Generations, I think it ultimately exposed the big problem Sega is having with Sonic games.

You blow through the game too fast and it's hard to make content, so either you make a shitload of filler content or make the game short. Generations compromised by making a short game with filler content.

I don't know that they'll ever solve this issue to my complete satisfaction.

Absolutely; I've said for many years that Sonic Team seemed to be the best at making games that are 2 hours long. It's sort of that old school Sega legacy, in a way. But they kept stuffing them full of filler to make them seem longer.

Lost World was obviously an effort to get that under control, but the game sucks. It's a poor man's Super Mario Galaxy, and I've already had enough of a taste for the ultra-sweet Unleashed/Generations that I want to exterminate all the rare animals in the world for the ingredients that would let me get diabetes from it.

I have nothing to add on the storyline front, Sega1991, Vidiot and TheCongressman1 already said everything I could say.

I think the thing about the Sonic series is that even in the dark times we always had something good as well. It was never a string of shit with only the occasional good game. For every Sonic Adventure 2 we had a Sonic Advance. For every Sonic 06 we had a Sonic Rush. It's more of a 50-50 thing than just something nice now and again. But I suppose the general analogy is correct. Sort of. Gotta put up with the beatings as well as the hot sex and gifts.

That's how I think too. In fact, after Secret Rings (which was OK for the time) came out, I stopped playing 3D Sonic games and focused myself to the DS games only. I only came back to the 3D titles when Colors was released and I played Unleashed only after it. But I haven't played 06 and Black Knight yet and I've no plans to do so in the near future.

I wish that DIMPS would stop creating ports and started making original portable Sonic games again.

WillyFive

Here we go... again.

sonic_cycle.jpg

This hasn't been relevant in half a decade.

While I liked Generations, I think it ultimately exposed the big problem Sega is having with Sonic games.

You blow through the game too fast and it's hard to make content, so either you make a shitload of filler content or make the game short. Generations compromised by making a short game with filler content.

With Colours (and Unleashed as well for that matter) they made noticeable but decent reuse of existing stage assets to make new smaller stages. Seeing some of the missions in Generations also took on this angle with ones like Action Master being some of the games stronger points I think they can walk that fine line between adding good filler to pad things out a bit better alongside the bigger stages, you'd still have a pretty short game but that's par the course for most platformers.
Of course Generations also had a truckload of poor missions with flimsy design or gimmicky mechanics so there's also a case of them needing to separate the good ideas from the bad seeing some of the stuff in Sonic Lost world they still fall victim to that angle.
Basically I'm thinking the best to hope for is replayable main stages like those in Generations and the classic entries that use a lot of varying pathways alongside a handful of smaller but finely tuned stages built upon the main stages like those in colours that stick to the platforming and don't have you homing attack musical notes with Vector or such nonsense seen in some of Generations filler.

narton

I like how they're serving cocktails before the show. I'm afraid we're all going to need some.

Also could someone explain the significance of the golden ratio thing?

Sonic Generations is easily the most mechanically strong game the series has seen since 1994. The level design is very strong, in addition to that.

The problem is that sonic works best in speedrun focused games where you can focus on shaving a precious few seconds off the clock. That doesn't gel well with modern game design and ends up making very short games, so sonic team pads their games out with garbage or else you end up with games like generations that you can beat in an afternoon.

Real talk, I went to a Sega event at Comic-con and they were serving Sonic The Hedgehog themed cocktails, one of which was chili-dog infused vodka, with a chili pepper rim, and a hotdog chunk floating in it.

BP3rkxWCMAABljf.jpg

Worst drink in my entire life. It's like Sega is trying to bury this franchise in any way possible.

That drink sounds absolutely disgusting

Pretty much, it's not an easy issue for them, though I've always thought that removing or tweeking the boosting and replacing it with better physics might help with that a bit.

With Colours (and Unleashed as well for that matter) they made noticeable but decent reuse of existing stage assets to make new smaller stages. Seeing some of the missions in Generations also took on this angle with ones like Action Master being some of the games stronger points I think they can walk that fine line between adding good filler to pad things out a bit better alongside the bigger stages, you'd still have a pretty short game but that's par the course for most platformers.
Of course Generations also had a truckload of poor missions with flimsy design or gimmicky mechanics so there's also a case of them needing to separate the good ideas from the bad seeing some of the stuff in Sonic Lost world they still fall victim to that angle.
Basically I'm thinking the best to hope for is replayable main stages like those in Generations and the classic entries that use a lot of varying pathways alongside a handful of smaller but finely tuned stages built upon the main stages like those in colours that stick to the platforming and don't have you homing attack musical notes with Vector or such nonsense seen in some of Generations filler.

I agree with most of your points, and I think it would have helped Lost World if they had gone with that route, especially since the circus stages/animal collecting were kind of a pace-killer.

Also, some thought into Boss design would also be welcomed.

I think Sonic Adventure is the game that came closest to solving that issue. There were too many characters and not enough interesting gameplay in the alternative campaigns, but playing the levels as Sonic and then Knuckles with different objectives added some welcomed depth to the game. It's a shame the other character's levels weren't as well accomplished.

jax

Banned
Real talk, I went to a Sega event at Comic-con and they were serving Sonic The Hedgehog themed cocktails, one of which was chili-dog infused vodka, with a chili pepper rim, and a hotdog chunk floating in it.

BP3rkxWCMAABljf.jpg

Worst drink in my entire life. It's like Sega is trying to bury this franchise in any way possible.

Funny, I attended Sonic Boom for Sonic's 20th anniversary, and all they had was delicious Vodka/Curaçao drinks, similar to this one
tumblr_l37n8bOUxt1qa8q3yo1_r1_500.jpg

I signed up on a whim not thinking much of it (been to press events before they're usually cool enough) but this wasn't a press event, it was a full on party. Yuji Naka was on the dance floor, Crush 40 played (And it rocked.) They handed out a ton of free merchandise, had a giant Green Hill Zone cake, had Generations on 3D TVs scattered throughout the place. It was amazing. It was like, Sonic heaven.

Then they had us scream Happy Birthday Sonic, for the end credits to Generations.

So yeah, Sega knows how to throw a party. Even though that drink looks disgusting.

I am beyond stoked for this announcement. The character redesigns from OP cartoon teaser look ... interesting. I mainly wanna see Next-Gen Sonic, hopefully it gets a PC port.

Dr. Buni

How about, Classic Sonic HD.

Take the. Exact. Engines. Of Sonic 1-2-3-&K, and make them HD. Put them on PSN/XLBA/eShop for $29.99, and then take all of my Rings for it.
Meh. I'd rather get a new game. After Sonic Colors, it is really hard for me to go back to Classic Sonic gameplay, as much as I like S3&K.

Village

Honest question for Sonic fans:

Don't you feel like a battered spouse?

No

I feel like a dissapointed one. Sega isn't like EA or something where its abuse, nah Sega and Sonic team are stupid. And their stupidity lazyness or whatever gets in the way of generally good ideas , and turn into bad games. The more I think about lost world the less I like it.

The abused spouse thing doesn't apply here, however the dissapointed and ready to divorce one does.

Funny, I attended Sonic Boom for Sonic's 20th anniversary, and all they had was delicious Vodka/Curaçao drinks, similar to this one http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l37n8bOUxt1qa8q3yo1_r1_500.jpg

I signed up on a whim not thinking much of it (been to press events before they're usually cool enough) but this wasn't a press event, it was a full on party. Yuji Naka was on the dance floor, Crush 40 played (And it rocked.) They handed out a ton of free merchandise, had a giant Green Hill Zone cake, had Generations on 3D TVs scattered throughout the place. It was amazing. It was like, Sonic heaven.

Then they had us scream Happy Birthday Sonic, for the end credits to Generations.

So yeah, Sega knows how to throw a party. Even though that drink looks disgusting.

I am beyond stoked for this announcement. The character redesigns from OP cartoon teaser look ... interesting. I mainly wanna see Next-Gen Sonic, hopefully it gets a PC port.

Yeah, Sonic Boom is basically an official Sega convention for Sonic fans. It's a response to Summer of Sonic in the UK, which was started by some British Sonic fans and is more or less officiated by Sega UK now.

It was supposed to be under embargo until Machinima posted their invitation. Still is, so the presentation isn't public.

Embargo should lift today, though?

Probably will be, considering the previously mentioned comments from the PR team, it would either be today or at that latest, early next week? No reason for them to do this and then..."SHUT UP UNTIL E3."

I just want a new 2D gameplay Sonic game, without stupid gimmicks like the (IMO) game-breaking auto-attack lock on, and physics like the classics. That's all I'm asking for.

Physics can't be THAT hard to program, right? Isn't it all math based regarding speed, momentum and such? If it's a given science, how hard is it really to replicate the 2D physics in 3D? These guys get paid for crunching numbers and programming codes, you'd think they could do it easily!

Really, that brings up the point. IMO, even though I make a stink about the change of look in the Sonic games(that I prefer the more cartoony and stylish world over a more earth-like real based world), I think a true renaissance would be gameplay wise. Tone back the speed if it means getting the physics right. Add a little more control. Lost World was in the right direction, but also was kinda fart-worthy. It's something that REALLY needs to be addressed. The whole mad speed "I can't think, we're going too fast" thing should just be purged from the series for the whole "thinking speed" thing. Sonic should be fast, but not too fast. I still think the whole super speed thing was just added to make dumb ass kids say, "Oooooo! He movies WAY faster than he's ever moved before! That makes this game SUPERIOR!!", the equivalent of jingling a set of keys in front of a baby.

For me, good game design should trump over all else(even story, which the series isn't that big on). My belief, might sound controversial, but even when a slew of new fans come aboard a series that changes for the worse, those fans should be sacrificed to the "Gods of Good Game Design" just to get some good worthwhile gameplay back. If it means saying goodbye to those who are content with dodgy gameplay and crappy control, so be it! Ready the altar!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Probably will be, considering the previously mentioned comments from the PR team, it would either be today or at that latest, early next week? No reason for them to do this and then..."SHUT UP UNTIL E3."
Well, that is usually the case with Sonic games lately. We usually seem to get a reveal early in the year, get the theme song played/a bigger trailer at E3, and so on.

The top of the thing said embargo ends today, so it'll be in a few hours after the whole shindig.

For me, good game design should trump over all else(even story, which the series isn't that big on). My belief, might sound controversial, but even when a slew of new fans come aboard a series that changes for the worse, those fans should be sacrificed to the "Gods of Good Game Design" just to get some good worthwhile gameplay back. If it means saying goodbye to those who are content with dodgy gameplay and crappy control, so be it! Ready the altar!
You would certainly be surprised with how often marketing can play a rule on video game development and what to include in a game depending on the company. Focus testing, etc. In the end, it has to do with the bottom line, and those potential new fans who would come aboard are the ones they want to put some focus towards.

Dr. Buni

My belief, might sound controversial, but even when a slew of new fans come aboard a series that changes for the worse, those fans should be sacrificed to the "Gods of Good Game Design" just to get some good worthwhile gameplay back. If it means saying goodbye to those who are content with dodgy gameplay and crappy control, so be it! Ready the altar!
Why not say goodbye for classic Sonic fans, who always complain about any and every new Sonic game released instead? There is no way to please those fans anyway, I am pretty sure that even if SEGA decided to make a new "classic" 2D Sonic, they would still find something to bitch about. The gameplay in the Genesis/Master System Sonic games wasn't even that good, to be honest. As I said, I'd rather get a new game with Colors/Generations (Modern) gameplay, which is way more fun than the gameplay from older games.

UberTag

Those silhouettes look awful. Please, please, please don't change the look of Sonic.
Well, the freakish new designs pertain to the new Sonic Boom CGI comedy series airing this fall. We already know this.
What remains to be seen is whether the next installment of the games will be its own thing or married to whatever they've come up with on the cartoon front.

BP3rkxWCMAABljf.jpg

Good lord I don't know how anyone thought that was actually a good idea.

We served DrunkenMoogles sonic cocktails at a fan-run event the night before Summer of Sonic 2010 (in no way official blah blah). It was amazing party with Sonic R, Sonic Adventure 2 and Fighter multiplayer battles and Sonic music being our playlist (we even got people dancing!). It amuses me that Sega of America copied us a bit a few years after. Though they sure didn't have an extended remix of Wonderman, or an Open bar!

Sonic parties sure don't have to be bad.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Eh, just adding "sports tape" to Sonic doesn't seem too bad, really, nor does a belt for Tails.

UberTag

Are you serious sega?

You had one job, keep making sonic coloursesque games.
Why is that so damn hard?
They wanted to reboot the whole Sonic brand this time around.
So they brought in one of the My Little Pony writers to develop a new hip, funny cartoon world for Sonic, doled out some sports tape and wacky redesigns for a toy line and developed new games around that.

They wanted to reboot the whole Sonic brand this time around.
So they brought in one of the My Little Pony writers to develop a new hip, funny cartoon world for Sonic, doled out some sports tape and wacky redesigns for a toy line and developed new games around that.

You know, I can't even tell if this is a joke. Please tell me this isn't exactly what happened.

OnPoint

Naw, it's not like I HAD to play 06, I did much later try it preowned just so I could say I had tried it, so I wasn't just following the crowd in bashing it.

At worst I'm a little disappointed in Sega as they seem to disregard the series' rich history and range of Characters at times. When they do try to put it into consideration, it's in hot messes like Sonic 4 (I suppose we'll never see Sonic 4: Episode 3 at this rate...)

Generations was great because Sega got back in touch with all that, even Lost World is a bit better, though I didn't really get on with it well at all
Wasn't the plan for just two episodes?

Mesoian

That drink sounds absolutely disgusting

IT WAS.

Good lord I don't know how anyone thought that was actually a good idea.

We served DrunkenMoogles sonic cocktails at a fan-run event the night before Summer of Sonic 2010 (in no way official blah blah). It was amazing party with Sonic R, Sonic Adventure 2 and Fighter multiplayer battles and Sonic music being our playlist (we even got people dancing!). It amuses me that Sega of America copied us a bit a few years after. Though they sure didn't have an extended remix of Wonderman, or an Open bar!

Sonic parties sure don't have to be bad.

They certainly don't, I don't know what the deal was.

I feel more cheated now that I know that other Sega events had drinks that were actually palatable and not gag inducing.

Wasn't the plan for just two episodes?

Two episode with room for growth. But the people behind that game have no idea what makes for a good platformer, let alone a good sonic game.

You know, I can't even tell if this is a joke. Please tell me this isn't exactly what happened.

Sounds like that's exactly what happened.

As long as there's no singing, I'm down for this actually, the writing in MLP isn't bad, considering it's target demographic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom