• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015-16 TV Cancellations: The Beast, having been fed, asks waiter for his bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think weekly streaming makes more sense if you want to keep people coming back. In the age of people runnign through shows in a weekend and youre charging them on a monthly basis, surely it makes more sense to keep them for three months than just one month.

Also Hulu keeps sending reminders on phone notification screen when their big name original weekly shows are streaming...

Joni

But Hulu also puts up recently aired episodes the day after our something right? So there is a precedent to do it that way there since there is going to be an audience for that. Less on Netflix or Amazon.

I mean did you see the reactions to people learning Between was gonna broadcast week-to-week on US Netflix? People using Netflix don't understand that, I'm convinced. Even if they happen to be the broadcaster who has the rights to air in a particular region but has to respect the airing schedule of someone else.

The audience is indeed more likely to accept it on Hulu. It is just funny to compare it to Yahoo's failed attempt. I think Netflix and Amazon will be forced to go that way as well in the long run. It would be too easy to just subscribe very shortly to the shows you want otherwise. It will be just a matter of clear communication to make sure everyone comes back week to week.

Sober

The audience is indeed more likely to accept it on Hulu. It is just funny to compare it to Yahoo's failed attempt. I think Netflix and Amazon will be forced to go that way as well in the long run. It would be too easy to just subscribe very shortly to the shows you want otherwise. It will be just a matter of clear communication to make sure everyone comes back week to week.
Netflix is just gonna try to win on sheer volume, with Amazon being second place, unless they can really court talent or somehow win on accumulating a better back catalogue while Netflix loses rights. The two of them can afford to fight on or build their own catalogue of original series at least.

I imagine that there's going to be a couple years of extreme balkanization of streaming services. CBS is already trying that and I wouldn't be surprised if other networks followed suit. Then I probably expect that to crash as it will likely go poorly. I'm pretty sure people are already settled in on the Netflix model that they're unlikely to sub long-term for other services except for any event television things they might want to jump on when it hits some cultural critical mass.

Lastly I still much prefer week to week shows created for week to week broadcast. Almost everything I've watched on Netflix with some exceptions are absolutely chore-like to get through, especially their 1-hour dramas. I'm not a fan of the current state of "this is actually a 10 hour movie", because that just means making it through an hour isn't really much of an experience than it (usually) is just watching scenes pass by in front of me waiting for the good stuff and ending on a relatively flat cliffhanger. Ironic that Netflix's originals don't really feel binge worthy to me at all. Luckily their half-hours are more manageable.

maxcriden

Just watched last week's Blacklist. Wait, what?

Is Liz's death a ruse? Cheap, if so. If not...huh.

It's gotta be. I was gobsmacked but...as others have said,
when that sorty of thing happens, actors don't play cagey or silent as they have in this case. They do a whole bunch of exit interviews. So it's *gotta* be a fake-out.

Otherwise, to The Blacklist:

tumblr_o12pkvNPcS1v38ppoo1_500.gif

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Just watched last week's Blacklist. Wait, what?

Is Liz's death a ruse? Cheap, if so. If not...huh.

There's a Blacklist thread, you know =P http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=680029

Megan Boone needed time off to have her baby, so they wrote her out of the show ... her character probably was secretly given a serum to make her fake death and she'll wake up OK under the care of Mr. Kaplan

maxcriden

There's a Blacklist thread, you know =P http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=680029

Megan Boone needed time off to have her baby, so they wrote her out of the show ... her character probably was secretly given a serum to make her fake death and she'll wake up OK under the care of Mr. Kaplan

Was the spoiler tagged statement ever confirmed? If it's speculation you kinda make it sound like fact. Not the plot part, but the behind-the-scenes part :p

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Was the spoiler tagged statement ever confirmed? If it's speculation you kinda make it sound like fact. Not the plot part, but the behind-the-scenes part :p

She indeed was real-life pregnant and she just had her baby in real life Sunday morning. I guess you could call the rest speculation, but it's basically common sense that you'd need to give the actress time off to have that baby and spend some time with the kid. The writers could have written her as being pregnant for a few more episodes but it probably didn't work with their plotting and their desire to get Tom off the show to shoot his spinoff pilot, and it's always a possibility that a baby could come earlier than expected, so they probably just got her off the show fairly quickly to let her do what she needed to do.

maxcriden

She indeed was real-life pregnant and she just had her baby in real life Sunday morning. I guess you could call the rest speculation, but it's basically common sense that you'd need to give the actress time off to have that baby and spend some time with the kid. The writers could have written her as being pregnant for a few more episodes but it probably didn't work with their plotting and their desire to get Tom off the show to shoot his spinoff pilot, and it's always a possibility that a baby could come earlier than expected, so they probably just got her off the show fairly quickly to let her do what she needed to do.

All true and reasonable. It just seemed like it's just as conceivably possible that
the actress was about to have a baby and decided she was quitting the show.
Granted, I don't think that's what happened b/c of the reasons mentioned above in re:
no exit interviews and cagey/silent cast members
, but I don't think we can say for 100% yet. Just to play devil's advocate. :p

With that said, I do completely agree and believe
she'll be back.
I say this because
there's no ongoing show with just Red. The show is about Liz and Red and their relationship and what she learns about her past.
A Blacklist without that seems pointless.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Also is this the first time Lucifer>Gotham?

First I can remember it happening

All true and reasonable. It just seemed like it's just as conceivably possible that
the actress was about to have a baby and decided she was quitting the show.
Granted, I don't think that's what happened b/c of the reasons mentioned above in re:
no exit interviews and cagey/silent cast members
, but I don't think we can say for 100% yet. Just to play devil's advocate. :p

With that said, I do completely agree and believe
she'll be back.
I say this because
there's no ongoing show with just Red. The show is about Liz and Red and their relationship and what she learns about her past.
A Blacklist without that seems pointless.

Yeah. Most telling:
Red never revealed the elephant in the room: What his relation to Liz is. The show doesn't end before that happens.

Supergirl and BLindspot both started so very high. See how low they went.

I've been watching Blindspot when I jump on the treadmill (since I won't be getting outside for a run until this damn pollen is done clogging up my head).

But really it's getting quite silly.

And I find myself spending more time watching Daredevil (just got into watching S1).

I'm also about 15 episodes behind on The Blacklist and might just bail at this point.

Busty

Banned
Also is this the first time Lucifer>Gotham?

Yowser, that's impressive. Could Lucifer really be emerge as a slow burn hit for Fox? I just assumed that Lucifer would always be in Gotham's shadow.

I haven't seen any of Lucifer but I'm a fan of Gotham and all its gloriously demented ways.

KonradLaw

Yowser, that's impressive. Could Lucifer really be emerge as a slow burn hit for Fox? I just assumed that Lucifer would always be in Gotham's shadow.

I haven't seen any of Lucifer but I'm a fan of Gotham and all its gloriously demented ways.
Lucifer is really fun and it's bound to be a lot cheaper to make than Gotham.
Gotham probably does extremely well with streaming/foreign rights though.

I find it funny, that the only genre-successes with new shows that Fox had in recent years have been DC-comics related. Hopefully they will add third show in the future.
It would be cool if they could do a Spectre show, and do it like Gotham by Midnight, with Jim Corrigan working the night shift at special Gotham PD unit focused on supernatural threats, while all the time trying to contain the Spectre within him from manifesting and causing incredible collateral damage.
They could reuse as lot of CG, sets and costume from Gotham and even do crossovers :)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Anyone check out Containment? And was the Limitless finale last night?

I'm probably going to finish work early and try to fit it in. No iZombie until next season means I can fit another show in my life. Is The CW even considering the idea of bringing it back? It got decent ratings last night, but they've been pushing the "Limited Mini-Series" thing really hard.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

The series averaged a 0.98 L+3 rating in MTV’s core P12-34 demo, ranking as MTV’s top-rated new series this year. Shannara also saw the highest average L+7 lift (+106%) for a freshman series in MTV history. A strong digital performer, the series pulled in 16.6 million streams across all MTV’s digital properties and ranks as the highest grossing digital download for a single season on MTV ever.

http://deadline.com/2016/04/the-shannara-chronicles-renewed-season-2-mtv-1201740778/

Deadline said:
AMC has released the key art for Feed the Beast, its original drama that premieres May 31. The series stars David Schwimmer and Jim Sturgess as two best friends who take one last shot at their dream of opening a restaurant.

Adapted by executive producer/showrunner Clyde Phillips, the show follows Tommy Moran (Schwimmer) and Dion Patras (Sturgess) as struggle to launch their eatery, push each other, welcome love into their lives and overcome their demons. They also betray, backstab, manipulate and coerce each other into the most dangerous situations imaginable.

2ZY6sRB.jpg

Teaser

Eh, not sure if I'll check this out. Haven't heard much about it until now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So Vinyl but with food instead of music. Is there a pool to see how long it takes for one or both of them to use coke in the first episode?

maxcriden

I'm probably going to finish work early and try to fit it in. No iZombie until next season means I can fit another show in my life. Is The CW even considering the idea of bringing it back? It got decent ratings last night, but they've been pushing the "Limited Mini-Series" thing really hard.

0.6 at launch and series with potential CW hit status in the works, as well as an already crowded schedule, makes me think it would have to pretty much keep that 0.6 and not drop much at all. Plus retroactively making it a limited series whereas it was once an ongoing. I have to imagine it's likely we'll just get these 13 eps but unlike Secret Circle or Star-Crossed we'll have that expectation going in. Though, no idea when or if filming has already wrapped. So I do hope it doesn't end on a cliffhanger. (I think. We plan to watch it tonight so maybe I'll have better-developed thoughts on the show after that. :p)

So Vinyl but with food instead of music. Is there a pool to see how long it takes for one or both of them to use coke in the first episode?

Food show + Prestige TV Drama = I won't take that bet. ;)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Teaser

Eh, not sure if I'll check this out. Haven't heard much about it until now.

When they said teaser, they really meant teaser. I might give it try, I'll probably have nothing to watch by that point. Not really sure when Halt and Catch Fire is coming back

When they said teaser, they really meant teaser. I might give it try, I'll probably have nothing to watch by that point. Not really sure when Halt and Catch Fire is coming back
I think they've been running longer trailers either during BCS or The Night Manager (seem to remember one as I was zipping through commercials on the DVR), but I haven't watched them in full. I don't see them posted online anywhere.

Joni

Got around to watching Containment, will certainly come back. Fairly raw compared to typical CW shows, disease does look deadly. Chris Wood, Claudia Black and Hanna Mangan-Lawrence deserve attention.

Grizzlyjin

Got around to watching Containment, will certainly come back. Fairly raw compared to typical CW shows, disease does look deadly. Chris Wood, Claudia Black and Hanna Mangan-Lawrence deserve attention.

I liked it too. Seemed a little more mature than what you would expect from a CW show. And it felt like it actually represented the diversity of Atlanta pretty well, even with the extras. I wonder if they cast and filmed it there.

The opening scene is absolutely dreadful though. Thank goodness it's only like 30 seconds. It had me worried, but then everything after that was smooth sailing.

Good cast too. Lot of instantly likable people.

Joni

I liked it too. Seemed a little more mature than what you would expect from a CW show. And it felt like it actually represented the diversity of Atlanta pretty well, even with the extras. I wonder if they cast and filmed it there.

The Vampire Diaries and The Originals film in the neighbourhood, so I think Julie Plec is staying close by for Containment. I assume it was set in Atlanta because they were filming there anyway.

Penguin

My big takeaway from this spring is channels need to start artificially spreading out episodes to get through May.

Like numbers plummet with all of the random weeks off. No one has any idea of their airing schedule

maxcriden

My big takeaway from this spring is channels need to start artificially spreading out episodes to get through May.

Like numbers plummet with all of the random weeks off. No one has any idea of their airing schedule

Instead of random schedules, I wonder if the winter break schedule of OUAT, S.H.I.E.L.D. (and a couple other shows?) is one to emulate. But I guess AOS isn't one you want to choose as your prime example of a positive network trend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom