• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015-16 TV Cancellations: The Beast, having been fed, asks waiter for his bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

James93

My big takeaway from this spring is channels need to start artificially spreading out episodes to get through May.

Like numbers plummet with all of the random weeks off. No one has any idea of their airing schedule

Its terrible, If i didn't have hulu i'd miss half of the shows i like. There isn't even any regularity to it. Its like the execs are throw darts at a board to pick these weeks

Joni

Instead of random schedules, I wonder if the winter break schedule of OUAT, S.H.I.E.L.D. (and a couple other shows?) is one to emulate. But I guess AOS isn't one you want to choose as your prime example of a positive network trend.
They need to find a way to keep their break shows stronger, as I think it will be the future. I hope ABC is smart enough Carter and SHIELD just aren't good enough to do better.

abundant

Instead of random schedules, I wonder if the winter break schedule of OUAT, S.H.I.E.L.D. (and a couple other shows?) is one to emulate. But I guess AOS isn't one you want to choose as your prime example of a positive network trend.

A better example is what FOX did with Gotham this season.

- Aired the first half in the fall with no breaks.
- Took a longer than normal winter break, with The X-Files airing in it's absence.
- Returns in late February with only a few small breaks due to the NCAA Finals.

Yeah, it's the same thing ABC has done, but Gotham and X-Files shows that it can work.

Penguin

- Took a longer than normal winter break, with The X-Files airing in it's absence.

Yeah, it's the same thing ABC has done, but Gotham and X-Files shows that it can work.

Except... for the part where Gotham is on a random 2 week break to stretch the season until the end of May right now

Joni

Except it didn't really help keep the ratings up.

abundant

Except... for the part where Gotham is on a random 2 week break to stretch the season until the end of May right now

Eh, one random week off is better then a random month off. It's not perfect, but its a hell of a lot better than what we got last season.

KonradLaw

I hope Damien gets renewed. Started shaky, but last three eps were strong and I'm interested to see where they might take it.

TheOddOne

- THR: 'Bones' Lawsuit: How a Hit TV Show Loses Money.
BonesAccounting.jpg

Joni

It is nice they keep renewing the show despite the huge losses. Now bring back Almost Human and Firefly if you don't want to profit and just make us happy.

maxcriden

I guess The Blacklist's big surprise last week didn't cause a bump in the live ratings this week. Game of Silence continues to be America's new non-obsession; sorry, NBC.

Did Blacklist advertise its big shocker? Just curious. (We'll watch this week's ep this weekend.)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Did Blacklist advertise its big shocker? Just curious. (We'll watch this week's ep this weekend.)

I don't watch NBC too often outside of The Blacklist and the 11 p.m. news, but I think I saw some ads on their own station that mentioned it. I don't think they threw it up on bill boards or anything.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If anyone is interested in how Horace and Pete was put together (including why FX was okay with him doing a show on his own), CK goes in depth in the latest episode of Maron's podcast.

- Adalian for NY Mag: A Glimpse at What TV Shows People Are Watching, City by City
As part of its annual Watchathon week (going on right now), Comcast compiled detailed information about how viewers nationally, and in its biggest markets, consumed programming via Xfinity [on Demand platform] between April 1, 2015, and the end of last month. While the company doesn’t reveal specific numbers for shows, it does rank them in order of popularity. But, unlike Nielsen, it also doesn’t distinguish between shows currently in production and those which signed off years ago: If it’s available to stream, it’s eligible to make the top ten. And this quirk greatly benefits HBO, whose on-demand platform allows subscribers to dive deep into the network’s library of original offerings, going all the way back to 1990s offerings such as Oz. Per the data Comcast made available exclusively to Vulture, three HBO catalogue titles — The Sopranos, The Wire, and, God help us all, Entourage — continue to be massively popular on VOD. In fact, Entourage was the fourth-most-watched show on Xfinity during the past year nationally, just below Empire and ahead of AMC’s The Walking Dead. If that seems beyond belief, remember: The Entourage movie, backed by millions of marketing dollars, was released last June.

Sober

ctrl+f 'The Americans'. Shameful.
The Americans is such an unamerican show. The main characters are technically Russian. And there's no bald eagles flying the background crying American flavoured tears or random bursts of machine gun fire while everyone eats hamburgers and fills their gas tanks with foreign gasoline.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Just watched the first episode of Sherlock and it was fantastic. Only 3 episodes per season tho :/

I guess they are more like mini movies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Just watched the first episode of Sherlock and it was fantastic. Only 3 episodes per season tho :/

I guess they are more like mini movies.

BBC Sherlock is good stuff. And they really do feel like mini films.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The Americans is such an unamerican show. The main characters are technically Russian. And there's no bald eagles flying the background crying American flavoured tears or random bursts of machine gun fire while everyone eats hamburgers and fills their gas tanks with foreign gasoline.
Don't forget the lack of clapping.

Comrade, such show would not be approved by Party.

You also missed puns and oneliner (yeeeeeaaaaah) btw. Because what better to show respect than by kicking your friends (possibly enemies) when they are down?

I kind of 'ditched' the Americans for a bit though. (I'm part of the problem :( ) I was hoping to binch the other season(s) in the relative near future.

Joni

Current week versus previous week: quite a stable week, where it is mostly growth on the original shows. It is only the Disney network that doesn't have that.

Fasts-Demo-2016-Apr-FRI.22.png
Fasts-Demo-2016-Apr-FRI.15.png

Do we have a Containment OT? I searched but didn't see anything. I thought the pilot was pretty good, aside from the cliche Syrian dude is a bio-terrorist. If you're interested in seeing the breakdown of society as a virus takes over, it's pretty good. Showed a lot of the kind of stuff that people thought Fear the Walking Dead skipped over.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Do we have a Containment OT? I searched but didn't see anything. I thought the pilot was pretty good, aside from the cliche Syrian dude is a bio-terrorist. If you're interested in seeing the breakdown of society as a virus takes over, it's pretty good. Showed a lot of the kind of stuff that people thought Fear the Walking Dead skipped over.

It's funny you mention Fear the Walking Dead, but that's exactly what popped into my head while watching Containment. The Walking Dead is never going to give a conclusive answer on the how and why of the virus, which is fine. But I wish the spin-off would have been more like the Containment pilot. Showing the breakdown of society, different perspectives on managing during the early days, eventually with everyone meeting up.

Joni

Interesting exercise: Do L+7 ratings really change the world that much? The answer is no:

The CW: Legends of Tomorrow is a bit more popular in DVR ratings, iZombie and The 100 drop under The Vampire Diaries, Crazy Ex loses a bit of ground to Reign
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/04/22/the-cw-same-day-vs-dvr-rankings-for-2015-16/

FOX: Comedy shows are less popular, Scream Queens becomes relevant, Sleepy Hollow also rises, Rosewood drops. Looking at it per genre, nothing changes that much.
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/04/22/fox-same-day-vs-dvr-rankings-for-2015-16/

NBC: Helps The BLacklist go from the subtop to the absolute top, Crowded and Heartbeat are deader, Grimm has a very strong pulse. Seems to have the most effect.
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/04/22/nbc-same-day-vs-dvr-rankings-for-2015-16/

CBS: Limitless scores, The Odd Couple doesn't. Ratings are a bit skewed in the last column due to the lack of The Odd Couple L+7.
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/04/22/cbs-same-day-vs-dvr-rankings-for-2015-16/

ABC: Heavy comedy losses, certainly for The Muppets and The Real O’Neals. Quantico, Nashville, Castle, The Catch do quite good although it makes the last three only middle of the heap.
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/04/22/abc-same-day-vs-dvr-rankings-for-2015-16/

It basically shows that half-hour comedy are watched less delayed, while serialized drama is.

Everyone I know abandoned that show when they killed that woman and sent her baby/kid to Russia in the first season.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
They need to find a way to keep their break shows stronger, as I think it will be the future. I hope ABC is smart enough Carter and SHIELD just aren't good enough to do better.

Or they could just be smart and show them all straight through with no breaks. I'll never understand why this isn't done more often. American TV seems to be stuck in a rut with scheduling. British TV even shows new episodes on Christmas and it goes well. American TV execs are scared to try anything like that.

Or they could just be smart and show them all straight through with no breaks. I'll never understand why this isn't done more often. American TV seems to be stuck in a rut with scheduling. British TV even shows new episodes on Christmas and it goes well. American TV execs are scared to try anything like that.

Anytime they try putting episodes out around holidays and it understandably does nothing everyone brushes it off and later completely forgets that it was on at that time.
2 shows recently did it(can't remember what they were exactly, 1 literally ran right up to Christmas while the other continued) they did awful and literally every response on the Internet was "no shit nobody is sitting at home watching tv at the moment."

Christmas break makes complete sense.
However the 1 episode, 2 week break, 2 episodes, week break, 3 episodes, 2 week break shit is absolutely ridiculous.

Joni

There are periods where breaks are necessary because other major events will draw too much attention, for instance CW can't run shows in college basketball season as they will be pre-empted a lot. It would cause them quite a huge rating loss. There is also a difference in culture when it comes to Christmas and television. British shows also tend to run very short, like Doctor Who. It means it makes more sense to keep them running every week. Well, outside of soap operas, but those also run in the United States like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom