• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015-16 TV Cancellations: The Beast, having been fed, asks waiter for his bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Or they could just be smart and show them all straight through with no breaks. I'll never understand why this isn't done more often. American TV seems to be stuck in a rut with scheduling. British TV even shows new episodes on Christmas and it goes well. American TV execs are scared to try anything like that.

The "Christmas special" is a regular thing in Britain. People look forward to them. In the U.S., no one is accustomed to watching TV on or around Christmas because they're too busy going to Christmas parties or church services and spending time with family. Or going to movies! A lot of people see new movies on Christmas Day. But TV is ignored until New Year's Eve.

The "Christmas special" is a regular thing in Britain. People look forward to them. In the U.S., no one is accustomed to watching TV on or around Christmas because they're too busy going to Christmas parties or church services and spending time with family. Or going to movies! A lot of people see new movies on Christmas Day. But TV is ignored until New Year's Eve.

Sports and classic movies are the only thing people will watch around that time of the year in the US at least.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anytime they try putting episodes out around holidays and it understandably does nothing everyone brushes it off and later completely forgets that it was on at that time.
2 shows recently did it(can't remember what they were exactly, 1 literally ran right up to Christmas while the other continued) they did awful and literally every response on the Internet was "no shit nobody is sitting at home watching tv at the moment."

Christmas break makes complete sense.
However the 1 episode, 2 week break, 2 episodes, week break, 3 episodes, 2 week break shit is absolutely ridiculous.

That SyFy show... whatsiitcalled. Not only did they just dump out the first 4 episodes, they also broadcast them on TV during the holidays.

The reason for all the staggered releases for the "bigger" shows, outside of sportsball, is that for some weird reason TV is still built around sweeps periods. They're trying to chase ratings during four specific periods of the year, so they'll delay shows to fit into those periods - particularly because they have to stretch 20-something episodes and make them last for like 40 weeks of scheduling.

berzeli

Banned
Is that Looking movie still happening, or did that get canned too?

Happening.
Not sure if shooting has wrapped yet (I think it should have by now), but it's a thing. A not very exciting thing, and everyone should just watch Please Like Me instead (or rewatch if you've already seen it).
It is just way better. (bonus plug: the OT I made)

With HBO's rapid pace of production I'm sure we can all look forward to watching the Looking movie sometime next decade.

Maybe they'll air it after the series premiere of Westworld.

I get the name might've been a turn off but people not even giving Crazy Ex-Girlfriend a chance on delayed viewing bums me out.

I've never seen the show, though I assume it's good due to the raves I read about it here and everywhere else, but that was something that jumped out to me as well from those L+7 season numbers.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Just watched the first episode of Sherlock and it was fantastic. Only 3 episodes per season tho :/

I guess they are more like mini movies.

I borrowed the DVD's from the library and the fact you couldn't pause them kinda turned me off checking the other two seasons out.

Freeman and Cumberbatch's chemistry as Watson/Holmes was funny though. Double-so with everyone asking them "are you two...?" Watson: "...NO."

I borrowed the DVD's from the library and the fact you couldn't pause them kinda turned me off checking the other two seasons out.

Freeman and Cumberbatch's chemistry as Watson/Holmes was funny though. Double-so with everyone asking them "are you two...?" Watson: "...NO."
I think that the rest are available on Netflix.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Ep 2 of season 1 didnt do much for me but ep 3 is fantastic. More creepy serial killer stuff pls, less Chinese circus assassin smugglers

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Stop after season 2. Watch Elementary instead.

I do watch Elementary and I like it.

And that cliffhanger at the end of Sherlock ep3 (aka the season finale) is evil. Thankfully Netflix has all 3 seasons.

Edit: was about to ask if there was no Irene in this version

If anyone is interested in how Horace and Pete was put together (including why FX was okay with him doing a show on his own), CK goes in depth in the latest episode of Maron's podcast.

This was a GREAT listen, and I watched the first episode. Man, talk about DARK. Alda was BRILLIANT.

Joni

So The Simpsons ruled the night, despite being the third episode in a row below 3 million.

Fasts-Demo-2016-Apr-SUN.24.png

Am I one of the only ones watching and liking The Family?

Its still one of the highlights of my Sunday.
I really wish the mom would open up or at least take care of Ben, sure he may not be your son but at least take care of him since he was also kidnapped for many years :(

Following it mainly for the kids development, the sisters development and if the mom can truly become governor.

berzeli

Banned
Fullscreen Prepares SVOD Launch With Bret Easton Ellis-Directed Series
Tomorrow’s the launch day for Fullscreen’s global, Netflix-like, ad-free subscription video on demand service for teens and young adults. And this morning it fleshed out some of the details, including a plan to distribute a Bret Easton Ellis-directed thriller series called The Deleted as well as a daily sketch show, Party In The Back, with Twaimz, Josh Leyva, Rachel Scanlon, and Brandon Armstrong,

The company owned by Otter Media — Peter Chernin’s joint venture with AT&T — says the $4.99 a month service will enable users to search for shows based on their “vibe.” For example, they can say whether they want to “feel all the feels,” “learn new things” or “laugh till it hurts.”
“We created a new kind of entertainment experience which merges the things we love about premium content and social media,” Fullscreen CEO George Strompolos says. “We’re building it for an audience we know and love—a social-first mobile-first generation. We look forward to creating, learning and evolving at internet speed.”
The Deleted is about the “disappearance of three seemingly unconnected people from Los Angeles [that] triggers a collective paranoia among a group of twenty-somethings, all of whom escaped from a cult ‎several years back.”
Fullscreen will promote the show, as well as Electra Woman & Dyna Girl — a comedy featuring Grace Helbig and Hannah Hartwith — by staging a “social-media driven nationwide pizza party.” It will deliver about 5,000 pies to fans who tweet selfies with the identifier #fullscreenparty.

I'm certain that this will be a huge success, which is why I've heard about this before today. It's going to be like Seeso, that streaming service everyone is talking about.
#morelikeyahoofullscreenamirite

For bonus sadness (or should that be "for more feels"?), check out their twitter.
I think I hate everything about this.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I'm certain that this will be a huge success, which is why I've heard about this before today. It's going to be like Seeso, that streaming service everyone is talking about.

For bonus sadness (or should that be "for more feels"?), check out their twitter.

<stump> can you imagine being one of perhaps 8 people who pay $5 a month to subscribe to this service
<Cornballer> no, I really can't

I feel like this service will ask me if I know where the weed is, and not to worry, it's not a cop.

This will be a full on flop just like Seeso was.
No teenager or young adult wants to pay for exclusive Web content. At least I don't think so.
I think that Vessel is barely hanging on as is.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The Deleted is about the “disappearance of three seemingly unconnected people from Los Angeles [that] triggers a collective paranoia among a group of twenty-somethings, all of whom escaped from a cult &#8206;several years back.”

Seemingly unconnected people... all of whom escaped from a cult.

So... deeply connected people?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Yup, that all sounds about right for a company born as an MCN and UGC buyer/broker.

I'd rather stop watching TV than subscribe. Seeso is a million times more appealing.

berzeli

Banned
I feel like this service will ask me if I know where the weed is, and not to worry, it's not a cop.
The entire twitter feed comes across less as "light-hearted, young millennial like you" and more as "Jeanette, 37, going through her third divorce".
This will be a full on flop just like Seeso was.
No teenager or young adult wants to pay for exclusive Web content. At least I don't think so.
I think that Vessel is barely hanging on as is.
Nah, I think you definitely can make young adults part way with their money, just look at the success of twitch subscriptions (though I will concede that a significant chunk of that may be older folks). Not sure if relatability is required for them to do so, i.e. it's going "directly" to a person vis-à-vis a service. I wonder if there are any stats regarding Patreon available, seems like it also might count as "pay for exclusive Web content"(or exclusive access).

Man, I didn't know Vessel was a thing. Or maybe I did and just repressed my knowledge of it. That service seems even dumber. Pay for Youtube videos, like just straight up pay for things that will end up on youtube later.

G0523

So The Simpsons ruled the night, despite being the third episode in a row below 3 million.

Fasts-Demo-2016-Apr-SUN.24.png

Meanwhile, it looks like Fox can just air repeats of Family Guy for as long as they want and it won't make a difference in the ratings. Lol.

Sane_Man

Elementary is more uneven, but it completely destroys Sherlock when it comes to characters and emotional power.
Sherlock in BBC's version is such a boring character.

Nothing against Elementary, but there's no reason to stop watching Sherlock. It might not reach the heights of the first two series, but it's a pretty amazing how throughout. You could watch both?

KonradLaw

Nothing against Elementary, but there's no reason to stop watching Sherlock. It might not reach the heights of the first two series, but it's a pretty amazing how throughout. You could watch both?

Yeah, probably :) I watch both.And play every damn Sherlock game :D

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Not here. I couldn't make it past the first season of Elementary. Boring dreck, suffering from the usual bloat associated with 20+ episodes seasons.

Every episode of Sherlock feels epic to me.
I have no opinion on Elementary, but Sherlock turns obnoxiously towards fanservice in S3. And that damn cliffhanger. Major turnoffs.

vypek

I think NBC aired Crowded out of order the last two weeks.

They did. That kind of stuff actually bothers me a lot since some errors becomes glaringly obvious. I think last week was two episodes and both of them should have been behind the episode from yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom