• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015-16 TV Cancellations: The Beast, having been fed, asks waiter for his bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumored only. Around the same time the discussion went between having an Iron Fist show or having a Punisher one. Instead, we're getting both.

Oh, okay.

See, I was under the impression that it was out already. But I don't have Netflix, or really follow Marvel because they've oversaturated the market and I'm getting kind of sick of it.

Santiako

Oh, okay.

See, I was under the impression that it was out already. But I don't have Netflix, or really follow Marvel because they've oversaturated the market and I'm getting kind of sick of it.

The second Daredevil season is all about the Punisher, so that might have made you think it was out already.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Vulture - When Did Audiences Stop Taking ‘Middlebrow’ Television Seriously?

If you paid attention to the conversation around The X-Files’ tenth season, you would probably think the new episodes wrecked the integrity of the original series. But the problem with The X-Files’ new season isn’t that it was outright terrible — it’s that it didn’t evolve to meet the expectations that come with being a “Golden Age” TV show.

See, the new X-Files wasn’t all that different from the 1990s version audiences fell in love with: It was always a rather hokey, thoroughly middlebrow show, veering from excellent monster-of-the-week episodes to overarching mythology ones involving alien conspiracies, with plot holes big enough to drive a truck through. Its divisive return was a stark example of how much the medium has changed since the show's original run, the complicated relationship audiences have with middlebrow entertainment, and why shows from House of Cards to Game of Thrones choose to mis-market themselves as prestige TV.

Distinctions like “midbrow” and “highbrow” may seem like awkward descriptors within the current, massive television landscape, but they can provide a useful lens in terms of distinguishing what types of stories we find culturally important. Prestige television, as we’ve come to define it, boasts high production values, an interest in weighty themes, and, more recently, high-profile actors and behind-the-scenes talent.

Looking at some of the shows dubbed prestige over the last decade — the forgettable Bloodline, pure soap opera House of Cards, and exploitation-tinged Game of Thrones — you can see that the label doesn’t necessarily indicate consistent quality or depth, but the appearance of it.

Good midbrow television shares several important traits. As a viewer, what defines it more than anything else is the idea that audiences (and the show itself) need to have fun. If “prestige” television aims for the intellectual, midbrow is concerned with the visceral experience and pleasure that can come from TV. It cares less for blatantly weighty themes, instead prioritizing personality, directness, and engaging viewers without talking down to them.

But even when midbrow television is critically acclaimed and beloved by those who watch it, it still doesn’t get much in the way of award recognition or break into the larger cultural conversation. Midbrow is considered good for right now, not for posterity.

More at the link.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
On another note: Holy shit, the lead character of "Halt and Catch Fire" is an interesting dude. In "High Plains Hardware"/third episode of season 1 he
fucks the boyfriend of the venture capitalist to get back at her
. Like "woah."

I need to see the rest of the season, but I'm curious what you think of him/Joe, Ratsky.

Joe is a bit of a stock anti-hero character in the first season, and the show never really does anything with his bisexuality beyond that one small plot line. He is much more interesting in season two.

Oh, okay.

Right. One could make the (very easy) argument that the Frank Castle parts were the best stuff in Daredevil season 2, so I can see that. The episodes that don't have him front and center suffer as a result.

In terms of oversaturation, are you including the movies? Because TV wise they have two Netflix shows, and two ABC shows that nobody ever watches. Oh, and the Netflix shows are actually quite good.

but to the extent the issue is real, there's 500 fucking tv shows on the air so it's time to stop being upset that people can't pay attention to all of them all the time

I realize everyone has different schedules and priorities, but I struggle keeping up with more than 2-3 shows at a time. And I'm usually far behind, at that. I think most people in a similar circumstance are going to be VERY picky in what they watch. I don't care about critical acclaim (other than potentially drawing my attention to something I'm not tracking), but if a show doesn't grab me immediately, it's done. There are way too many good things out there to watch something I don't like.

TaterTots

Banned
Yeah, who cares about 24 without Jack?

Kinda off topic, but I recently finished Justified. What a great show. I was under the assumption it was cancelled, but apparently the team felt like they told the whole story. Glad it went out on its own terms instead of jumping the shark and drowning.

TheOddOne

- Deadline: Are Disney And Fox Ready To Use Hulu To Declare War On Cable TV?
Disney and Fox are at least preparing to threaten their cable and satellite allies, the Wall Street Journal disclosed last night. Hulu, which which the programming companies co-own with Comcast, is ginning up a Sling TV-like skinny bundle of live streamed broadcast and pay TV channels that might appeal to cord-cutters.

The entertainment powers are working on terms to license services including ABC, ESPN, Disney Channel, Fox, Fox News, FX and Fox-owned sports channels to a Hulu service that might launch early next year.

Along with the live stream, a new Hulu service reportedly would include a cloud-based digital video recorder and targeted ads. Hulu currently offers delayed video on demand viewing of network shows, as well as other library and original content.
If Disney and Fox crafted a $40 a month service that also included A&E, CBS, NBCU, and Time Warner channels, he figures, then Hulu could still profit with entertainment, sports, news, and kids programming that currently attracts 63% of the 18-to-49 viewing audience.
Hulu will address advertisers on Wednesday at its annual upfront presentation.

They need the NFL. DirecTV continues to exist because of their Sunday Ticket deal. If I could just get someone to give me football (hockey already has a paid service), then I could reasonably cut the cord. Although I have to admit that my cost would likely rival what I pay today (HBO Now for GoT; SHO for Shameless, Homeland; what Starz has for Black Sails, Outlander; then Sling for TWD; basic ABC/CBS/NBC for stuff; Hockey, Football) ... yeah, rattle all that together and it's probably gonna cost what I pay for DirecTV.

I finished Crazy Ex-Girfriend over the weekend and what a fantastic show!

Might be my favorite of the year (and it's just May).

The UTI song had me in stitches.

I think one of the main reasons more people don't watch the show is the key art. Look at this shit:

3HbKUiN.jpg

It completely misses the tone of the show. I decide whether or not to give a show a try solely on key art most of the time. I don't like to watch trailers too much. If something sounds interesting I'll watch the pilot, if it doesn't I won't.

After seeing that key art I thought she would be more like a psycho ex-girlfriend, than the sweet, but clearly damaged girl in the show. The show turned out nothing like I imagined (plus I had no idea it was a musical). I'd only heard it was a comedy, which you don't really get from that poster either.

To be perfectly honest, if it hadn't been because of the reaction in this very thread I would have missed out on one of the best shows of the season, just because a crappy piece of key art.

Penguin

So since we finished a week or started one...

Little project/discussion, if you were the major networks and looking at your current roster of shows, what would you change around to try to maximize as many nights as possible?

maybe you shouldn't judge shows based solely on key art

It's worked well for me in the past.

Maybe shows should strive to make key art that more faithfully reflects the tone of their shows?

I don't watch live TV, so I never see commercials for shows and I don't actively look for trailers either. If I hear about a show that's getting buzz and I find the key art compelling I'll give the show a chance.

The complete opposite of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is Stitchers. Amazing key art, interesting premise, total garbage of a show. Complete shit-tier, but it got me to watch the whole first season before dropping it. Just by having good key art.

I think the takeaway from this is to spend a little money on key art, because it's actually important.

dLMN8R

maybe you shouldn't judge shows based solely on key art

Sorry, but there's way too much to read / watch / play these days to not make quick judgments on things to decide what to spend my limited free time on.

Luckily that GAF thread exists or I too would have never watched the show. But I did, and am so happy about that. But if I just paid attention to its marketing, I would've avoided it at all costs.

The biggest sin that the show's marketing exudes is that it makes it look like yet another generic sitcom full of boring and overused misogynistic tropes. The actual show could not be more opposite to that.

Sober

I finished Crazy Ex-Girfriend over the weekend and what a fantastic show!

Might be my favorite of the year (and it's just May).

The UTI song had me in stitches.

I think one of the main reasons more people don't watch the show is the key art. Look at this shit:

It completely misses the tone of the show. I decide whether or not to give a show a try solely on key art most of the time. I don't like to watch trailers too much. If something sounds interesting I'll watch the pilot, if it doesn't I won't.

After seeing that key art I thought she would be more like a psycho ex-girlfriend, than the sweet, but clearly damaged girl in the show. The show turned out nothing like I imagined (plus I had no idea it was a musical). I'd only heard it was a comedy, which you don't really get from that poster either.

To be perfectly honest, if it hadn't been because of the reaction in this very thread I would have missed out on one of the best shows of the season, just because a crappy piece of key art.
Except it's gotten a Golden Globe so at this point I think that is more than enough to convince someone it's worth watching. If it was as trashy as its title implies why did it win any awards besides a Razzie?

Except it's gotten a Golden Globe so at this point I think that is more than enough to convince someone it's worth watching. If it was as trashy as its title implies why did it win any awards besides a Razzie?

Isn't that a little bit too late to help the show's first season ratings? Maybe it'll help on season 2, but I doubt it. I think you may be overestimating the pull award shows have.

Didn't Jane the Virgin also get a nomination last year? That show does nothing for me and it does about as terribly in the ratings. Also Halle Berry is an Academy Award winning actress. Doesn't mean I find her performance as Catwoman riveting.

Vulture - When Did Audiences Stop Taking ‘Middlebrow’ Television Seriously?

Good midbrow television shares several important traits. As a viewer, what defines it more than anything else is the idea that audiences (and the show itself) need to have fun. If “prestige” television aims for the intellectual, midbrow is concerned with the visceral experience and pleasure that can come from TV. It cares less for blatantly weighty themes, instead prioritizing personality, directness, and engaging viewers without talking down to them.

But even when midbrow television is critically acclaimed and beloved by those who watch it, it still doesn’t get much in the way of award recognition or break into the larger cultural conversation. Midbrow is considered good for right now, not for posterity.

More at the link.

So... the CW?

maxcriden

Great article, but--

The Flash has some of the most interesting takes on modern masculinity;

Which Berenstain-verse Flash are they watching?

Didn't Jane the Virgin also get a nomination last year? That show does nothing for me and it does about as terribly in the ratings. Also Halle Berry is an Academy Award winning actress. Doesn't mean I find her performance as Catwoman riveting.

Jane actually won, for Gina Rodriguez's performance. As to the rest, agree to disagree. ;)

Jane actually won, for Gina Rodriguez's performance. As to the rest, agree to disagree. ;)

Ah ok, good to know. What do we disagree on though? I don't doubt JTV's quality, it's just no my thing, but I can certainly understand why some people love it.

As far as ratings go, I'm pretty sure both JTV and CEXG do about the same, 0.3 or thereabouts, which is pretty terrible, even on the CW. That gives weight to my point that even a Golden Globe win doesn't really translate into an increase in ratings and that award shows don't resonate all that much with audiences (even if they do help with the overall legitimacy of a channel like the CW, which is why they keep these critically acclaimed shows with no viewership). So I don't think we disagree all that much.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Modern masculinity in The Flash? Because Barry is kinda dorky and has no sexual chemistry with anyone? I'm lost. I've never seen them do anything groundbreaking in regards to masculinity, and they're for damn sure not doing so hot with their female characters.

Sober

Modern masculinity in The Flash? Because Barry is kinda dorky and has no sexual chemistry with anyone? I'm lost. I've never seen them do anything groundbreaking in regards to masculinity, and they're for damn sure not doing so hot with their female characters.
It's not something the show actively engages with, it's akin to asking what The Americans has to say about early 1980s video game console sales figures. By that I mean it's a gigantic reach and just a pure consequence of the actual stuff they put up in front instead.

The most The Flash has ever engaged with themes of masculinity might be when Barry stands next to Oliver on screen at the same time.

Joni

Ah ok, good to know. What do we disagree on though? I don't doubt JTV's quality, it's just no my thing, but I can certainly understand why some people love it.

As far as ratings go, I'm pretty sure both JTV and CEXG do about the same, 0.3 or thereabouts, which is pretty terrible, even on the CW. That gives weight to my point that even a Golden Globe win doesn't really translate into an increase in ratings and that award shows don't resonate all that much with audiences (even if they do help with the overall legitimacy of a channel like the CW, which is why they keep these critically acclaimed shows with no viewership). So I don't think we disagree all that much.

It also helps that these two award winning but terribly performing shows are made by CBS. There is no better performing CBS show they'd have to cancel to keep these shows on air.

KonradLaw

It's funny, because there are awful lot of shows that focus on male characters, but barely any that focus on actual masculinity or men's issues. I think the last show that tried to tackle this and did it well was Men of a Certain Age.

Jane the Virgin had the same problem as Crazy Ex-Girlfriend in turning a lot of people off from the get go from marketing that didn't know exactly how to sell the shows to audiences though they're two fairly different shows share they a satirical bent that runs through both shows though I think CEG goes harder on it.

Really though. The three episodes Chris Carter wrote were probably the worst three episodes of television that I've seen in the past few years.

This goes against popular opinion, but Carter has always had his head up his own ass. Monster of the Week X-Files was always the best X-Files, while the conspiracy stuff was...no.

Busty

Banned
To be fair being a British/Canadian/US co-pro Houdini and Doyle probably cost Fox less than the craft service table on the set of Bones when David Boreanaz is 'stress eating'.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I didn't even know that Doyle and Houdini show existed until I heard an ad on the radio yesterday, and my immediate reaction to laugh at how stupid it sounded.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
To be fair being a British/Canadian/US co-pro Houdini and Doyle probably cost Fox less than the craft service table on the set of Bones when David Boreanaz is 'stress eating'.

Sure, but that timeslot could have aired something that would have made Fox more money and earned them more prestige. Instead, they have Houdini at a 0.7, even it was bought and paid for with a song.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Man this Freaks and Geeks cast is ridiculous in hindsight. How the fuck did the show not last more than a season :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom